Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

RagnarokAngel posted:

And I love every second of it.

I log on once every few months,, it's a good game but I can't do MMOs again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so its a modern meme, but this is the best thing I can show to explain how weird and terrible fansubs were in the 90s. You'd send away 40bux to get the first 8 episodes of Utena, and they'd come back with the subs being full of swearing, random Japanese words (that had explainations) that were totally unnesscary. I remember watching something and thinking just loving say water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awh5UwHcgDs

I mean there's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
1990s Canadians probably remember Electric Circus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Circus

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't Working Designs tend to get a lot of flack from fans for their translations. They seemed to always do really good work on everything, but I thought the fans had a bit of a big disdain for how they'd alter dialogue to better suit a US audience than go for a 1:1 translation.

THere was also the issue of Magic Knight Rayearth, one of the first Sega Saturn games made in Japan ended up being one of the very last officially released in the US, due in some part to translation and localization efforts not just of the game, but the planned release of the anime, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

1990s Canadians probably remember Electric Circus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Circus

They used to have a webchat I'd hang out in.

I was watching a video on youtube about what happened with Daikatana and I realized dudes with super long hair is super 90s. I know it was in the 70s and 80s too, but its always associated with me as sleezy 90s guys would have long hair.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jul 6, 2018

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There's a lot of dudes with long hair and pony tails in Babylon 5, which coincidentally is a very 90s show

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol remember when superman had a mullet in the 90s

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Last Chance posted:

Lol remember when superman had a mullet in the 90s

It was a great mullet

Though for a while it was also like they were going for a Samson look.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rahonavis posted:

All rise for the National Anthem.

Note: Technically a weird early 2000’s thing. Still, :911::japan::italy:

what :stare:

Lmao splinter's voice

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Barely 90s, but the idea feels so 90s to me. Sherlock Holmes, not just for a young generation, but in an entirely new century! With an android Watson, Sherlock has been rejuvenated from his crypt beneath new Scotland Yard to battle a cloned Moriarty.

The episodes were all based on on previous Holmes stories, but changed up a bit here and there. I never saw much of the show, but I do remember them fighting some kind of monster lady who died upon falling into a moat.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Leavemywife posted:

Barely 90s, but the idea feels so 90s to me. Sherlock Holmes, not just for a young generation, but in an entirely new century! With an android Watson, Sherlock has been rejuvenated from his crypt beneath new Scotland Yard to battle a cloned Moriarty.

The episodes were all based on on previous Holmes stories, but changed up a bit here and there. I never saw much of the show, but I do remember them fighting some kind of monster lady who died upon falling into a moat.

Oh man this show used to come on every morning when I was getting ready for school. I never paid much attention to the stories but I definitely would get this song stuck in my head all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

Sherlock Holmes in the twenty-second centuraaaayyy :slick:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dixville posted:

Oh man this show used to come on every morning when I was getting ready for school. I never paid much attention to the stories but I definitely would get this song stuck in my head all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

Sherlock Holmes in the twenty-second centuraaaayyy :slick:

I have never once heard of this show, but the animation reminds me of the Johnny Quest reboot that included cyberspace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp3z2YpJR-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDllb7oCj4g

That show was serious about killing people in every episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was reading about how Games Workshop has become more successful recently than it had been at its former peak, which was in the 90s.

90s games workshop had a very 90s flavoring

Look at those primary colours with little to no shading!

and the limits of technology of making miniatures forced them to all be in very flat poses. I always described them as posing for their offical photo.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

chitoryu12 posted:

A lot of really talented musicians got their start when their parents bought or gave them stuff. Slash was given a flamenco guitar with one string by his grandmother. Eric Clapton was given a guitar for a birthday present when he was 13. Paul McCartney started on his parents' piano, was given a trumpet for his birthday, and traded it for a guitar.

Or is the idea that it doesn't count if your parents had enough money to buy you a Squier Strat instead of a termite-eaten piece of balsa wood with two strings in the wrong places that they fished out of the dumpster?

I think it kinda comes from things like, say, the Strokes. A bunch of trust fund kids with really rich parents so of course they're proficient in music because they had time/money for lessons and practice vs. the Ramones or your Slash story there.

Not to take away from anybody's talent, but it's weird (I guess) how some of the true greats had humble beginnings/materials/equipment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Working Designs tend to get a lot of flack from fans for their translations.
There wasn't as much access to foreign games (much less a way to play them without knowing japanese) so I think this was a Turbonerd thing.

At the time, they were mildly popular because they bucked the Sword and Sorcery trend and used pop culture references or just more colloquial stuff ("That jerk Ghaleon crushed the Sun Tea i had sitting out..."). So it stood out among the FF crowd.

The culture references havent aged well, and more people realize that their tweaks included changes to game mechanics (you spend XP to SAVE in Lunar 2, iirc). I don't recall the Lunar script as it was originally was much interesting, though.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Man, SSSC and Eternal Blue took up SO many hours of my young life. I ground the living gently caress out of both of them.

I sometimes call my wife Hell Mel (although she’s really more of a Jessica.). She does not know the reference and would murder me if I tried to explain it.

e: I guess my original point was that I loved those games? It got lost somewhere along the way.

e2, content: I have this. The armor is both all-new AND all-daring. Plus in real life the cover is all sparkly.

burial has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jul 12, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My relative went all in on Sega/CD/32x and sold a bunch of stuff for his N64. I picked up his Gen1 SCD and Sonic/Lunar because i loving LOVED the opening and music (found out I could rip it all to tape). I played so much that the popcorn ceiling to my room started looking like dialogue from the game.

burial posted:

Man, SSSC and Eternal Blue took up SO many hours of my young life. I ground the living gently caress out of both of them.
I finally completed my PS1 SSSC save last summer, then went and bought the EBC box set with all the greebles. One day I'll pick up SSSC to round it out.

Maybe then I'll grab the Ghaleon puppet, too.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

FilthyImp posted:

I always hated that guy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god, that’s the “punching nun” style one, right? That was one of the best extras ever just because it was so incredibly dumb. :allears:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dewgy posted:

Oh god, that’s the “punching nun” style one, right? That was one of the best extras ever just because it was so incredibly dumb. :allears:
WD was truly decades ahead of the "overpacked special edition" bullshit we see today.

Like sure, PC games had like huge manuals that sometimes came with maps or fold-out posters or whatever. Here's a die-cast locket you'll never wear. Knock yourself out.

And I just finished reading the thread today. Those 3000 posts were sure a rollercoaster :banjo:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bloated overproduced rock music with a dozen guitar parts and 30 piece orchestra that could only come from the '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJU2136ym4

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

I was reading about how Games Workshop has become more successful recently than it had been at its former peak, which was in the 90s.

90s games workshop had a very 90s flavoring

Look at those primary colours with little to no shading!

and the limits of technology of making miniatures forced them to all be in very flat poses. I always described them as posing for their offical photo.

Yeah but to their credit my eyes dont glaze over trying to decipher what the gently caress Im even looking at, unlike the current busy as gently caress sculpts.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

burial posted:

I sometimes call my wife Hell Mel (although she’s really more of a Jessica.). She does not know the reference and would murder me if I tried to explain it.

e: I guess my original point was that I loved those games? It got lost somewhere along the way.

e2, content: I have this. The armor is both all-new AND all-daring. Plus in real life the cover is all sparkly.

Oh man I forgot how 90's the special edition comic covers were. I still have a Jim Lee signed Wildcats #3 gold cover that I thought was gonna be worth a retirement. Turns out the New Mutants #98 I have is actually worth serious cash though. Also, LOL at my friends who all went out and bought like 10 copies of Spawn #1 because they'd be worth just so much money. My dudes, they're printing millions of these things, it's all crap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Oh man I forgot how 90's the special edition comic covers were. I still have a Jim Lee signed Wildcats #3 gold cover that I thought was gonna be worth a retirement. Turns out the New Mutants #98 I have is actually worth serious cash though. Also, LOL at my friends who all went out and bought like 10 copies of Spawn #1 because they'd be worth just so much money. My dudes, they're printing millions of these things, it's all crap.

It really is very 90's that we all thought our comics were going to be worth lots of money one day.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

burial posted:

AND it gets destroyed in that very issue!

Gimmick comic book covers in the 90's was pretty much the best thing ever. I had and still have SO many. Spider-man's 30th anniversary? hologram covers. Superman coming back to life? polybagged with a weird layover sticker thing. Ghost Rider? Glow in the dark. Sleepwalker because why not? .....a cut out mask you can wear...?

there was also some indie book that had a real bullet shot through the issues and the bullet hole was part of the plot. Awesome.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

enigmahfc posted:

AND it gets destroyed in that very issue!

Gimmick comic book covers in the 90's was pretty much the best thing ever. I had and still have SO many. Spider-man's 30th anniversary? hologram covers. Superman coming back to life? polybagged with a weird layover sticker thing. Ghost Rider? Glow in the dark. Sleepwalker because why not? .....a cut out mask you can wear...?

there was also some indie book that had a real bullet shot through the issues and the bullet hole was part of the plot. Awesome.

I have all of the Spiderman 30th anniversary holograms. Amazing spiderman, Web of spiderman, spectacular spiderman, and just plain spider-man. I also have Venom #1, which has a shiny metallic red cover.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Cynical collectible cash grab bullshit is so 90s. Comics, beanie babies, cards...My goodness was there so much of it. While failing to ignore that the old collectibles are valuable because they weren't even all that common when they were made. Honus Wagner cards are valuable because like 200 were made, ever, like a century ago. A few dozen have survived. It happened because he didn't like the idea of kids buying tobacco to get the card. It took many decades for them to get valuable. Action comics 1 is valuable for similar reasons. Not a ton were printed because comics were new and nobody had any idea they'd be this big. A few dozen have survived. They're 80 years old so it isn't likely you'll retire on something printed in the millions but drat did that not stop the 90s from producing nonstop fad collectibles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cynical collectible cash grab bullshit is so 90s. Comics, beanie babies, cards...My goodness was there so much of it. While failing to ignore that the old collectibles are valuable because they weren't even all that common when they were made. Honus Wagner cards are valuable because like 200 were made, ever, like a century ago. A few dozen have survived. It happened because he didn't like the idea of kids buying tobacco to get the card. It took many decades for them to get valuable. Action comics 1 is valuable for similar reasons. Not a ton were printed because comics were new and nobody had any idea they'd be this big. A few dozen have survived. They're 80 years old so it isn't likely you'll retire on something printed in the millions but drat did that not stop the 90s from producing nonstop fad collectibles.

Right, what eventually became valuable was because it wasn't at the time and no one expected it to be valuable. There's also the factor of whoever's old enough to have disposable income having nostalgia for said objects. That said, I hear that Micro Machines are in that bubble at the moment.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

enigmahfc posted:

This one?

They didn't really do anything cool with the hole through the issue, though, just did the regular layouts and then hole-punched them afterwards.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Darthemed posted:

This one?

They didn't really do anything cool with the hole through the issue, though, just did the regular layouts and then hole-punched them afterwards.

Probably, I'm not sure. I just knew it existed.

What's funny is that those special covers had price hikes of UP TO $3.50, and now a regular comic with less pages and less story is $4. So joke's on us!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darthemed posted:

There was another one: Jab #3 featuring Too Much Coffee Man.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm the idiot that collected comics between the late 80s and mid-90s when companies were doing a great job convincing kids with low paying paper routes like myself that we needed to buy 5 different copies of Spider-Man #1 in all the variant covers.

I did a database of my collection a few years ago and compared cover price vs estimated worth and I spent something like $6k for a collection that's worth barely more than half that. And the issues that are worth the most?

Like Croatian said, loving New Mutants #98, followed by loving New Mutants #87.

I kept anything worth over $10 and donated the remaining thousand+ books to a local Native Youth Association for their safehouse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dillbag posted:

Like Croatian said, loving New Mutants #98, followed by loving New Mutants #87.

I have to know why these are worth money

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I have to know why these are worth money

First appearance of Deadpool and Cable, respectively.

I was going through my collection to see what I should sell and what I should donate. I had the Marvel Super-heros #8 that I got in a quarter bin sometime in the 90's. It's the first appearance of a dumb character named Squirrel Girl that's the new comic book hard-on character. I sold it for $60 less then a year ago.

You can never predict what would have been worth money.

enigmahfc has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jul 12, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
And that's when I learned "collectable" meant "complete poo poo".

Edit: Also I don't get why they discontinued micro machines. I assume my 7 year old son would love them so I looked them up and yeah they just don't produce them any more. So I can see why there's a current bubble.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

enigmahfc posted:

You can never predict what would have been worth money.
Perfect example is the SpiderGwen issue of (Spiderverse??). What looks like a one-off turns into a huge character and suddenly the thing you picked up because of an event is like $75.00

Or you grab an indie/new comic because you heard the guy that did BattlePope is drawing it and throw it in your storage bin. A decade later and AMC has it as their prestige series and it's worth way more.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought Spawn #1 for $8 when I was a kid. It's now worth maybe $40. gently caress comics.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought Spawn #1 for $8 when I was a kid. It's now worth maybe $40. gently caress comics.

It might jump again (slightly) if/when the new movie comes out.

Comics are a fickle business but lately those special issues (first appearances mostly) are seeing a quick up-tick because of a movie or tv show.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ferrule posted:

It might jump again (slightly) if/when the new movie comes out.

Comics are a fickle business but lately those special issues (first appearances mostly) are seeing a quick up-tick because of a movie or tv show.

And that right there is why I PMd my wife this morning asking if I can get that New Mutants graded so I can sell it. Strike while the iron's hot and Deadpool III may suck so I need to sell this while the getting's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Croatoan posted:

And that right there is why I PMd my wife this morning asking if I can get that New Mutants graded so I can sell it. Strike while the iron's hot and Deadpool III may suck so I need to sell this while the getting's good.

That book has been hot for a long time, pretty,much since it came out. That's a rare thing.

Current irons to strike are venom & carnage stuff (speculation, new movie, etc), Thanos stuff, and so on. What's happening on Netflix? A new villain coming to Jessica Jones? That issue is going up.