Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

abraxas posted:

Get ready for my smugpost where I tell you that I pre-ordered digitally and have had the game pre-loaded on my Switch for weeks and how much superior digital purchases and therefore I, as a human being, am.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Usually you have the overarching narrative as the reason but you don't really have that here so I get it.

I can see that but I'm just used to people showing up for whatever reason even if they just stand around in cutscenes or do nothing anyways.

Another weird criticism is when plot reasons dictate that the player character is incapacitated while the villain escapes and Jason gripes about the other party members not being acknowledged or doing anything. Like do you just want them to show up to be token beaten down or paralyzed too for the plot? Is it really that big of a leap to assume that if the story participant is wounded too far to pursue that the rest of the party isnt?

It just feels like the connectivity of stories is going to be the major wedge issue of this game and you either care or dont I guess.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The overlapping story between Cyrus, H'aanit, Alfyn, Primrose and Ophelia is their political podcast.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The plot is the same as all other video games ever made: all the characters want to kiss each other. This is canon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Saint Freak posted:

The plot is the same as all other video games ever made: all the characters want to kiss each other. This is canon.
Especially all the boys. :swoon:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ugh, I want to play Octopath so bad and seeing anyone who gets their game early makes me eternally envious. The battle system looks so cool and I can’t wait to tinker with classes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm supposed to go visit in-laws this weekend, we're leaving tomorrow after work. Amazon is supposed to deliver this before 8pm, but knowing my luck we'll leave 10 minutes before it shows up and I will endure the weekend with the knowledge that it is sitting in the mailbox, taunting me while small children crawl all over me.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

irlZaphod posted:

Especially all the boys. :swoon:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Harlock posted:

The Kotaku review is up and it seems the core gripe is the stories dont overlap which really bugs the reviewer.
Jason's review comes off as ultimately negative:

Jason Schreier posted:

But the game is too grindy, too repetitive, too full of structural problems to be viewed as much more than another botched JRPG experiment.
Which, the game does have a repetitive formula since you're essentially doing eight stories that, while they differ in content, have to evolve in the same way.

The other bit of context, though, is that it looks like review codes only went out maybe two weeks ago and Jason has been slogging through this week in order to reach the end game. That's certainly a less enjoyable way to play the game than playing an hour each night before bed.

Jeremy's and Nadia's partial reviews are up, and while neither of them have made it to the end game they're both really enjoying the experience so far.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Some people are particularly sensitive to grinding which I guess is understandable. But I hear "soul-crushing grind" and then look at a mere 30 hour playtime and its like lol you haven't even begun to grind m8

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I find it hard to trust any game reviewers when they treat reviewing jrpgs like getting stuck with toilet cleaning duty, rush through them as hard as they possibly can then get frustrated when they fail to bosses because they refuse to play them at normal paces.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dastardly posted:

I find it hard to trust any game reviewers when they treat reviewing jrpgs like getting stuck with toilet cleaning duty, rush through them as hard as they possibly can then get frustrated when they fail to bosses because they refuse to play them at normal paces.

What does this even mean? You want the reviews to come out next month some time? I don't know that would help a lot of people.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

MMF Freeway posted:

Some people are particularly sensitive to grinding which I guess is understandable. But I hear "soul-crushing grind" and then look at a mere 30 hour playtime and its like lol you haven't even begun to grind m8

I know that feeling. As soneone who’s played a lot of JRPG’s I’m able to do 80-100 hour playtime games with lots of grinding. As long as the battle system is fun, which it is, I can forgive the game having a grind. Honestly, I’m so psyched about the battle system.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dastardly posted:

That dude likes jrpgs though and the game is reviewing pretty well overall. Seems like some of its shortcomings were just bigger sticking points for him.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Gamespot gives it 8/10 which is about what I was expecting. https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/octopath-traveler-review-divide-and-conquer/1900-6416941/

quote:

THE GOOD
Fascinating and beautiful presentation
An innovative combat system that challenges you in unique ways
Smart character progression encourages experimentation
Lots of high-level challenges and rewards to strive for

THE BAD
Eight short stories that are largely shallow and repetitive

Shame about the story, but I like the sound of high-level challenges and rewards.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

What does this even mean? You want the reviews to come out next month some time? I don't know that would help a lot of people.

trick question, video game reviews never helped anyone

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's also unclear if the postgame he couldn't figure out how to access it time is substantial or not.

It seems a little liked he rushed bit I'd actually take Jason's playtime as a positive, i would personally prefer if more JRPGS landed I the 30 to 40 hour range rather than 60+

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's disappointing that the stories don't intersect in any way, but I still really like the premise and the battle system a lot from the bit of the demos that I've played. I'm hyped af.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
It's currently sitting pretty at 85 on Metacritic after 30+ reviews which seems like pretty glowing praise as far as a relatively niche JRPG goes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
considering Bravely Default, the objectively-and-in-no-way-my-subjective-personal-opinion best JRPG ever made is at 85 on metacritic that sounds promising

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Your Computer posted:

considering Bravely Default, the objectively-and-in-no-way-my-subjective-personal-opinion best JRPG ever made is at 85 on metacritic that sounds promising

Hopefully it doesn't share Bravely's major flaw of repeating itself 3 or 4 times after the halfway point. That brought the momentum from my play through to a grinding halt.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I think I'm also a little disappointed to hear the stories don't intersect. It seems like a really obvious misstep -- I think most people are expecting some sort of background plot that ties them together. I can't imagine how they decided against it.

It's possible there's some endgame that hasn't been seen yet, though -- one of the reviews says Nintendo said there was an endgame but wouldn't give any specifics beyond finishing the story and doing some sidequests. They also mention that there are extra jobs locked behind really difficult optional bosses that they haven't been able to beat even after playing through the story, and it strikes me that it's kind of silly to gate a JOB behind a boss that's so difficult if there's no hidden endgame, because why are you gonna grind up a new job when you're already that much stronger than Chapter 4 bosses?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 12, 2018

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

People purchasing RPGs (or any game with 50+ hour playtime) day one either know what they're getting into, or are taking a chance that the first 20 hours of content are sufficiently reflective of the whole game that they can determine from reviews whether they're going to like it. Specifically, Jeremy's and Nadia's reviews help frame what to expect from Octopath, particularly if you've followed their past writings on RPGs or their respective podcasts.

For players where the cohesiveness of the end game is critical to their enjoyment, they should wait on these kind of games to see how they shake out.

Honestly, in this case just play the demo. Like the demo? Buy the game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

IGN's video review sounded like a nerd jizzing his pants

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Housh posted:

Don't doxx me

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Housh posted:

Evergreen post.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I think I'm also a little disappointed to hear the stories don't intersect. It seems like a really obvious misstep -- I think most people are expecting some sort of background plot that ties them together. I can't imagine how they decided against it.

It's possible there's some endgame that hasn't been seen yet, though -- one of the reviews says Nintendo said there was an endgame but wouldn't give any specifics beyond finishing the story and doing some sidequests. They also mention that there are extra jobs locked behind really difficult optional bosses that they haven't been able to beat even after playing through the story, and it strikes me that it's kind of silly to gate a JOB behind a boss that's so difficult if there's no hidden endgame, because why are you gonna grind up a new job when you're already that much stronger than Chapter 4 bosses?

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath but I also wouldn't be surprised if kotaku hasn't finished everything yet.

Like you say, what is the point of those bonus jobs, unless there's new game+?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Yo, a guy on GameFAQs who I know is playing the game has this to say about the eight stories and the endgame:

CarmoFin posted:

Let me comment on this, because I couln't talk about anthing before today.
I still haven't managed to finish all 8 stories, but I have finished 4 and I have to say that thematically, each of them is implying that it leads to something bigger then the story itself. Now I would have been dismissing that as nothing, but in these endings it is a reoccuring theme, so I would be very very surprised if there was not some sort of endgame content this leads to.
I have noticed that characters form stories that I have finished start to populate the world and hand out quests, so it's just a matter of following those threads I imagine.
Now, I'm not saying that this will turn into an epic single story JRPG plot, but signs are still there that there is a payoff for all this and everyone who I have seen claiming otherwise has blindly rushed through the game as far as I can tell.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So do the stories intertwine or not? From the reviews it seems like if they do, it’s so well hidden in the postgame that no reviewer found it.

They probably don’t, which is kind of annoying given Nintendo’s vague responses to the question leading up to the game’s launch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For players where the cohesiveness of the end game is critical to their enjoyment, they should wait on these kind of games to see how they shake out.

Honestly, in this case just play the demo. Like the demo? Buy the game.

Well, that's the thing. I played the demo and liked it, and I bought the game. But I'm still going to be disappointed if there's no cohesive endgame. I'm perfectly happy playing through 40 hours of individual stories with the combat and charm I saw in the demo, but I will reflect on it as a notably worse game if there isn't anything tying all the characters together at the end, and I'm not super enthused that multiple reviewers have mentioned that the party is invisible during each character's storyline.

I'm not one of those people who lives or dies based on review opinions, by the way, but they're useful for learning objective facts about a game before you buy it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

qbert posted:

So do the stories intertwine or not? From the reviews it seems like if they do, it’s so well hidden in the postgame that no reviewer found it.

They probably don’t, which is kind of annoying given Nintendo’s vague responses to the question leading up to the game’s launch.

Probably not in the stories themselves, but there might be things that happen in each story that might actually be linked to something that happens in another story in some way (like a character in one story could potentially work for someone who only appears and is important in another story for instance), and the leads you get from each story may lead up to a certain end goal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

qbert posted:

We dunno and game reviewers suck so you'll just have to wait a couple weeks for a definitive answer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kotaku doesn't mention getting to any kind of end credits or anything.

Hmmm.

He even said "I beat all 8 stories and nothing happened."

If that was that wouldn't it be roll credits time? Seems like there's at least something left to do.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

loving Squaer obviously forgot to finish the game :rolleyes:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Kotaku doesn't mention getting to any kind of end credits or anything.

Hmmm.

He even said "I beat all 8 stories and nothing happened."

If that was that wouldn't it be roll credits time? Seems like there's at least something left to do.

Well, there is in fact an Ending Theme of the kind that would be expected to play at the Credits, so there's definitely something for you to do after all eight stories.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I wonder if any game reviews released about just the first four chapters of Bravely Second.

“For some reason, the game ends with the world being destroyed and there is no credits roll. Profoundly disappointing 6/10”

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I wonder if any game reviews released about just the first four chapters.

“For some reason, the game ends with the world being destroyed and there is no credits roll. Profoundly disappointing 6/10”

Like, there's a "Final Boss" theme that plays at the end of each character story, then four more spoilerific soundtracks that plays for what's likely gonna be the endgame disguised-as-postgame content with two new boss tracks that play for what appears to be the true final boss. It really does seem like the tweets I posted ring true, that you'll be able to see who did and didn't complete the game by looking at the reviews.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you like JRPGs?

Do you accept the good with both the bad and the ugly?

Do you have 50 hours to read some charming dialogue as well as some trite garbage?

If Yes: buy game
If No: don't buy game, but totally spend like 50 hours posting about it though

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

qbert posted:

Or no reviewer has had enough time to play to completion:

Zhiqing Wan posted:

Octopath Traveler’s world is immensely rich, and even after the credits rolled when I beat the eight stories, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was more to see and do. Some side quests only open up after finishing certain stories, which will offer further insight into the recurring themes you notice across the eight stories, and there are a few optional dungeons and caverns you can explore as well. ... There’s so much to do in the game, and while I was able to complete the story content at around the 68 hour mark, my playtime has since gone up to 75 hours because of everything else there is to do.
I don't think the current reviews preclude the possibility of an overreaching boss battle/ending if you complete all the side quests and optional bosses. Now, there still might not be such an ending, but there's hints of one and Jason getting to the credits roll alone isn't proof that there isn't. He even has a way to weasel out of that by saying "well Nintendo didn't tell us how to access it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Like, there's a "Final Boss" theme that plays at the end of each character story, then four more spoilerific soundtracks that plays for what's likely gonna be the endgame disguised-as-postgame content with two new boss tracks that play for what appears to be the true final boss. It really does seem like the tweets I posted ring true, that you'll be able to see who did and didn't complete the game by looking at the reviews.

Sorry, I meant to say “When Bravely Second was reviewed,” because I trust Silicon Studios to do something bonkers.