Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Every game journalist is 40 years old and struggles to complete the first level of Mario.

Watching a work colleague attempt to play Super Mario World while refusing to use the run button was a terrifying look into a completely alien mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:lol: I wonder if they even tried to review Celeste. I get the feeling they'd just pass on that one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

I died more than once in a game = game hasn’t aged well.

Ah, the 2017s... people may have fond memories for games of that period, but as soon as they play them again they'll remember it was all blind nostalgia that led to such positive reviews!

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The only place I could see anyone dying in the first three zones is the rising water section so really I think it just comes down to the reviewer being bad

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The game hasn’t aged well is a weird complaint for Sonic too since it’s not like there’s a similar modern game that’s “replaced” it. Unless they’re comparing it to modern “classic” Sonic.:lol:

Whatever though. Being a game reviewer is a poo poo job with no future and bad pay so I don’t want to be too hard on any of them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There's a big fuckin difference between an occasional death (I want to feel challenged) and being stuck/roadblocked

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't believe these ungrateful reviewers get to play Mania Plus before me, a true sonic fan

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I will kill him

Not just for the bad review but for invoking MN9

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of the review is kinda bad but looking it over Encore Mode's life system does sound pretty dumb for the guff the initial game got.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

I will kill him

Not just for the bad review but for invoking MN9

Huh, I had assumed it was a Mambo Number 5 joke.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only time I was truly stuck in 2D Sonic was Sonic 2, and that’s because it’s two bosses back-to-back and you never get any rings.

And probably more because having to fight Silver Sonic every god time time was annoying. I don’t recall straight-up Game Overing that much, but just getting bored and figuring I had better things I could do with my time. Also, I think the Death Egg Robot took way the hell too many hits to beat.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Gamespot gave Plus a 9/10.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1016801275806035968?s=19

Tee hee

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The IGN review is fine and I know the Sonic account gimmick is to be as always online as possible but gotta believe they're subconciously promoting people to go and harass IGN or the reviewer just because it's (barely) an outlier score.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah that feels a bit..egh. The review was good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
IGN actually seems to be the only site thats reviewing Plus as an addon rather than the whole game again, which seems way more useful than someone saying Mania Is Good a second time.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I checked out the sonic subreddit the other day and holy shiiiit they have a long-standing grudge with IGN. It is intense!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

IGN is a pretty shady site but don’t harass reviewers god drat it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol IGN doesn't need help from sonic fans to be hated. But to pinpoint it exactly they waged war with sonic when that clip went around as year or two ago of a bunch momos from there saying sonic was never good in a super insincere/clickbaitey way. When in reality those lads are incorrect because sonic was: always good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I still don't get the water meme since that was and is a genuine issue people have with Pokemon RSE.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Motto posted:

I still don't get the water meme since that was and is a genuine issue people have with Pokemon RSE.

Because that's the exact line they wound up using in their ORAS review

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Onmi posted:

Because that's the exact line they wound up using in their ORAS review

I think thats what they mean. The IGN ORAS review was turned into a meme for complaining there was too much water, because there literally was.

Motto posted:

Same. I remember the water routes being boring, awful and filled with the same 3 pokemon, and "just use repel" isn't a great defence. I suppose it can be seen as a silly criticism for a remake that aims to be faithful since it's not like they're going to remove stuff but it does still kinda suck?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it became a meme because it's a silly sentence and that's that. Like that's all I took it as statement being true or not.

Also lol sonic twitter isn't telling people to harass IGN or whatever they're just having fun like usual. No need to :tinfoil:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The guy who runs the twitter, Aaron Webber/@RubyEclipse, made some rancid tweets the other day essentially saying that the Arenanet firings were a good thing, so gently caress'em.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

DoctorWhat posted:

The guy who runs the twitter, Aaron Webber/@RubyEclipse, made some rancid tweets the other day essentially saying that the Arenanet firings were a good thing, so gently caress'em.

I admit I've only heard stuff through the grape vine but last I heard about people getting fired at ANet it was some community person basically shittalking a longstanding community contributor and saying some other stupid rear end in a top hat stuff which doesn't sound unreasonable to me. There was more firings and stuff done beyond that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Some random dude who doesn't do game development tried to mansplain to the dev in question how to do her job. She expressed her frustration on Twitter and a mob emailed Areanet to have her fired, and also have fired a male coworker who stood up for her.

It's garbage. Hideki Kamiya calls his followers idiots and assholes all the time and no one cares but when a woman does it she loses her job.

Anyway Sonic Mania Plus looks great but the toxic, sociopathic loathing ~gamers~ have for both developers and journalists fuckin suuucks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Aaron Webber's job is literally PR, and he's effective at it, of course he thought the ArenaNet firings were a good thing (people like her make his life and time company's a living hell) how ignorant are you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh oops why am I replying to DoctorWhat,I know better than this lol

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sonic fans's hatred for IGN exists as far back as 2007, maybe earlier. This isn't new.

Back then I'm pretty sure the beef was "WHY DOES MARIO GET PERFECT SCORES AND SONIC GETS SLAMMED EVEN THOUGH MARIO GAMES AREN'T LITERALLY PERFECT. IT'S BIAS I SAY!"

lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

An effective, responsible PR person shouldn't encourage harassment of games journalists. In fact, they should - whith how gamers act - spend a significant amount of effort trying to improve community behavior, because man would the Sonic community benefit from that!

The IGN "too much water" tweet fuckin sucks and I wouldn't trust Aaron Webber to punch a nazi.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
IGN gave Sonic 2006 a higher score than Sonic Unleashed, they can go gently caress themselves.

So somebody explain to me what exactly Plus has besides the two new characters. What is Encore mode, exactly? Am I going to get meaningfully new levels if I buy this or is it just play as Ray and Mighty in the old levels?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You get to play as Ray and Mighty in tweaked versions of the old levels with the occasional new segment, with character hotswapping and alternative palettes and a new bonus minigame. It's $5.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you do realize "ign" is not a monolithic entity and has multiple reviewers on staff, yeah? read a goddamn byline

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DoctorWhat posted:

you do realize "ign" is not a monolithic entity and has multiple reviewers on staff, yeah? read a goddamn byline

Sorry, you're right. One sec while I look this up.

Okay.

Hilary Goldstein rated Sonic Unleashed lower than Sonic 2006 so all of IGN and everybody that's ever worked for them past, present or future can go gently caress themselves.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

at least that's some intellectual honesty tbh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Aaron Webber's job is literally PR, and he's effective at it, of course he thought the ArenaNet firings were a good thing (people like her make his life and time company's a living hell) how ignorant are you

The job of PR isn't tossing employees to the wolves lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Motto posted:

The job of PR isn't tossing employees to the wolves lmao

I mean I'm not saying I agree with it but in this day and age, it basically is.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope the Sonic meme twitter guy is fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been amused by the Sonic twitter and it sucks that he apparently feels that way. Certainly he's made at least one tweet that didn't go over well / seemed in bad taste - can't imagine he'd feel the same had Sega thrown him under the bus for it for fans blowing up on it.

VJeff posted:

I mean I'm not saying I agree with it but in this day and age, it basically is.

Pretty much. PR focuses on protecting the companies imagine over anything these days. Though capitulating this hard and fast seems like a real bad look. Anet must be desperate to keep its' playerbase.