Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Psychology now adds a slider not just for sexual orientation, but for enjoyment of bionic parts, ethical quandary, and quality of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Put more briefly, it's a community full of Gamers. That really ought to tell you all you need to know about their opinions on things like treating other people with respect and dignity.

Completely ignoring the question of the actual ethics of organ-harvesting captured raiders, I do think it's pretty unrealistic that everyone but a very small minority of psychopaths considers it to be unethical. It's not like people who approve of retributive justice are rare. I mean, there's a huge contingent of Americans (not that this is a uniquely American trait) who think it's 100% cool and good to torture anyone suspected of possibly being a terrorist and that we should bomb their families while we're at it, but all your colonists are going to be sad for a month over chopping up someone who directly tried to kill them? I'd like to see a mod that kept the mood penalty for half the colony and gives the other half some kind of "eye for an eye" mood bonus.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HelloSailorSign posted:

Psychology now adds a slider not just for sexual orientation, but for enjoyment of bionic parts, ethical quandary, and quality of food.

It already has a litany of personality traits.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Completely ignoring the question of the actual ethics of organ-harvesting captured raiders, I do think it's pretty unrealistic that everyone but a very small minority of psychopaths considers it to be unethical. It's not like people who approve of retributive justice are rare. I mean, there's a huge contingent of Americans (not that this is a uniquely American trait) who think it's 100% cool and good to torture anyone suspected of possibly being a terrorist and that we should bomb their families while we're at it, but all your colonists are going to be sad for a month over chopping up someone who directly tried to kill them? I'd like to see a mod that kept the mood penalty for half the colony and gives the other half some kind of "eye for an eye" mood bonus.

Correction: There's a huge contingent of Americans who say torture is cool and good from the comfort of their beer-sipping couches. The people who actually torture suspected terrorists, or are direct witnesses/accessories to it, are psychopaths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well I can see that there might be a psychological impact on body identity. You have an image of yourself in your mind and you could call this a "soul". Soul can mean lots of different things to different people.

Especially as, again, a lot of your colonists have never seen working electricity before.

The game could go as far as to simulate tech accustomization levels for each colonist and factor that into research efficiency and comfort with various ways of living but that would massively impact the game. Glossing over it by just giving a small number of people prosthophile is probably the most in-keeping with the scope of the base game.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They also do not believe that being forced to join your colony or rot in prison indefinitely should incur any kind of bad feelings for a recruit -- this is a common sticking point Rimworld players have with the Psychology mod, which models the awkwardness that would exist for a while after a prisoner agrees to join. The community generally believes that prisoners genuinely ought to be happy to leave their old lives and families behind for an existence of nonstop menial labor and sporadic violence in a group full of people you barely know except for how they held you in a cell for months and demanded you join them.

In fairness, given the way everyone else behaves on the rimworld, this is probably a net improvement, because the alternative is you will probably die waving a rusty knife as part of a human wave attack trying to kill a colony and steal their large supply of poor quality mixed leather hats.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 11, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Correction: There's a huge contingent of Americans who say torture is cool and good from the comfort of their beer-sipping couches. The people who actually torture suspected terrorists, or are direct witnesses/accessories to it, are psychopaths.

Yeah, this. There's a galaxy of difference between your average idiot accepting "The authorities are having nebulous 'bad guys' tortured in some far off black site that none of us will ever see" and "The colony doctor who I see every day is carving up prisoners like Christmas ham in the shack behind our apartment complex and I'm entirely aware of this".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"On the other hand, god drat but this chair is comfy."

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

My current game is far northern boreal mountain colony. The base is completely self contained including full roofed and climate controlled fields for food and energy resources (bamboo makes chemfuel, grains into biofuels for generators). Been chilling on randy some challenge having fun base building a cool mountain cult. Single entrance with an effective kill zone. Infestations turned off b/c I'm just trying to chill in my mountain, roll joints and cigs, make beer and worship dark gods. My colony makes its money and gets extra resources through selling drugs, textiles and bulk goods tobacoo. (tobacco leaves sell for like $2 each, almost not worth the work rolling them up).

Anyway, the fun emergent story telling part of this base is that I wasn't originally going to have such a contained base, but I am running the Dinosauria and Mega Fauna Mod, and each winter, which is like 75% + of the time the fauna outside are all VERY dangerous predators. During the winter Herbivores seem to spawn much less or if they do spawn they are quickly killed by all the carnivores. At any one time there are at least two large theropods, packs of different kinds of raptors, and packs of these daeodon motherfuckers which are really just giant death pigs. The wealthier my colony gets the more dense the predators seem to spawn. These predators can kill colonists in a very short time compared to a wolf or something. In the middle of the two winter seasons all other animals clear out or are killed leaving only hungry carnivores (which attack each other if nothing else is available).

I have had 3 colonists die thus far. One to a lucky headshot during a raid, but the other two were downed and killed by carnivores before I was able to get to save them. This led me to dig deeper into the mountain, not for gold or steel, but for safety. The base now is to the point where people don't need to go outside unless they want to. Which has led to at least one mental break due to extreme cabin fever when I forgot to get that guy outside for a hot min. My work around is a small super walled off unroofed area attached to the base where I get deliveries/money from ships and have a horseshoe pin people can go get some "fresh air". The mental break was pretty funny as these megafauna and dinosaurs also have a shitload of HP so I had to draft all 6 other colonists to "guard" the sad wandering person and shoot some of the predators that came after them until there was a couple animal corpses on the map for the other predators to eat.

This has also led to one winter time raid being attacked by hungry dinosaurs which was hilarious. One visitor also got eaten before he made it to the colony. Still a little silly that it harms relations when visitors are eaten by dinosaurs before they can reach the safety of my walls. I have a crematorium but am thinking about just piling any spare corpses outside the front of the base to keep the predators as satiated as possible considering the corpses will be frozen most of the time.

Well that's my rimworld story I might post the base later if I remember. It has been one of my favorites so far. Wish I named the colony "Don't go outside" or something.

edit: I just read some of the comments on the Mega Fauna Mod page on the workshop. A lot of people having problems with deodons, but they seem to want them nerfed. I disagree. They are MEGAFAUNA they should be hard to kill and mean as hell. If you don't like them on the map they are killable, just bring bigger / more guns.

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 11, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're going to do a mountain fort it's a very good idea to wall off a big courtyard outside the entrance for more or less that reason, people go nuts otherwise. Also it helps with ventilation in the event of a fire because you can put more vents out to it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well I can see that there might be a psychological impact on body identity. You have an image of yourself in your mind and you could call this a "soul". Soul can mean lots of different things to different people.

Yeah, replacing body parts is a big deal. Like that RL guy who got hand transplants, then after a few months had the donor hands removed because having someone else's hands was weirding him out.

The mood malus should probably reduce over time. The first year is really hard, but 5 years later your prosthetic arm is just your arm. You've figured out how to masturbate without crushing your dingus and everything is fine.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
plz do not kink shame me or my crushed dingus.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It'd be neat if doing these things had a chance to add traits. Like, arm chopped off, get a robot limb, (hidden roll), a month later the hidden roll's results are revealed and you have a chance to develop prosthophile/phobe. Or the doctor murders someone for parts and chair coverings, you get sad about it or eventually rationalise it or eventually decide no you know what this chair is comfy and Steve looks even comfier.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Splicer posted:

It'd be neat if doing these things had a chance to add traits. Like, arm chopped off, get a robot limb, (hidden roll), a month later the hidden roll's results are revealed and you have a chance to develop prosthophile/phobe. Or the doctor murders someone for parts and chair coverings, you get sad about it or eventually rationalise it or eventually decide no you know what this chair is comfy and Steve looks even comfier.

I'm ready for murder-hand to wipe out my colony.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What an avatar/post combo!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The whole conversation ended up with me thinking hard about how to implement a "Humanity" need that represents how similar you are to other living things, and rather than putting specific permanant malus on the pawn who got the augs, making the difference in Humanity need (which decreases the more chrome you stick on the pawn) affects their interactions with each other. A chromejob and a natural are going to have a lot more disagreements stemming from both prejudice and differing perspectives on the world.

It shifts the focus of how bionics affect people from how they affect the person who received them (a few months/year with a "This isn't my arm" malus) to how they affect the people around them ("Todd can now bench press pickup trucks and I don't know how to relate to him and he doesn't know how to relate to me, a squishy meat bag, anymore."). Soul is really just a proxy for that. There are some people who really wouldn't give a drat about any of that, and there can be traits for that which define things outside of the human average. Transhumanist will NEVER get the "Not my arm" problem, but that does jack poo poo to making that person easier to relate to when they are Bionic Superman. Meanwhile, an Empath probably doesn't have the problem of relating to Augs, but will still be a bit wigged out themselves when they get a new bionic arm.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, I like that.

Anyone have success with the, “People can change” mod? I wonder if something like that could help with changing thoughts, or would it just be on a cool down kinda thing?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

The whole conversation ended up with me thinking hard about how to implement a "Humanity" need that represents how similar you are to other living things, and rather than putting specific permanant malus on the pawn who got the augs, making the difference in Humanity need (which decreases the more chrome you stick on the pawn) affects their interactions with each other. A chromejob and a natural are going to have a lot more disagreements stemming from both prejudice and differing perspectives on the world.

It shifts the focus of how bionics affect people from how they affect the person who received them (a few months/year with a "This isn't my arm" malus) to how they affect the people around them ("Todd can now bench press pickup trucks and I don't know how to relate to him and he doesn't know how to relate to me, a squishy meat bag, anymore."). Soul is really just a proxy for that. There are some people who really wouldn't give a drat about any of that, and there can be traits for that which define things outside of the human average. Transhumanist will NEVER get the "Not my arm" problem, but that does jack poo poo to making that person easier to relate to when they are Bionic Superman. Meanwhile, an Empath probably doesn't have the problem of relating to Augs, but will still be a bit wigged out themselves when they get a new bionic arm.

This would all be rad. I'm sure Tynan was just going for a half assed nerf but it really shows just how shortsighted it was. Either whole-rear end it or don't bother

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Warmachine posted:

You might be able to make it work through the social effects tab as a modification to the "beautiful vs ugly/disfigured" system. Also, I feel like certain disfigurements, or at least the prostetheses that "fix" them should have positive modifiers. Everyone knows eyepatches are badass.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
The game is actually quite realistic when it comes to limb replacement.

It's been quite a while since I finished my undergrad psychology studies, but from what I remember the vast majority of amputees and people with prosthetics need takes to fully cope with their situation. When it comes to actual limb replacements it's often even worse, even when trying to disregard the fact that they need to take immune-suppressants for the rest of their lives. Phantom limb pains are also a thing.

The game just states that the bionic limbs are stronger than the organic ones. So why should it be unrealistic that the majority of colonists are feeling depressed about the fact that they now have to wank off with a cold synth skin hand?

I really think it's an elegant solution to a complex problem.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean it's also the future where glitterworlds and space travel are a thing. They had 3000 extra years to start seeing bionics as more normal.

If there were more of a system behind it, like maybe tribals got huge debuffs against cyborgs while colonists with spacer backgrounds didn't really care it would be fine, but right now it's just a flat disincentive to use bionics when it was already gated behind material and monetary expense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though again a tech level per-pawn system would require a lot of fleshing out and development to not be just tacked on, whereas a mood malus with a trait than neutralizes it is more inkeeping with the way the base game does things, and achieves a very similar effect. Some pawns are OK with it, most aren't.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Am I right in thinking there's no mood penalty for actually missing an arm? That sounds wrong but I think it's true?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

Though again a tech level per-pawn system would require a lot of fleshing out and development to not be just tacked on, whereas a mood malus with a trait than neutralizes it is more inkeeping with the way the base game does things, and achieves a very similar effect. Some pawns are OK with it, most aren't.

I don't think it'd be that hard; a mod I used in Alpha 17 made it so that colonist flirtatiousness awas effected by their cultural background (tribal women were more likely to initiate a romance than tribal men, the reverse for industrial, and equal for spacer) so having it effect mood penalties/bonuses probably isn't out of the question.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It should be a denegrating status as the cyborgee gets used to his new power body. Just a status that goes from "uncomfortable in their new body" to "getting used to his new body" to "familiar with new body" then no negative status. Its not that some pawns are cool and some are not with a new body, its that having an entirely new body is a completely foreign experience whether you supported it or not. It takes some getting used to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

I don't think it'd be that hard; a mod I used in Alpha 17 made it so that colonist flirtatiousness awas effected by their cultural background (tribal women were more likely to initiate a romance than tribal men, the reverse for industrial, and equal for spacer) so having it effect mood penalties/bonuses probably isn't out of the question.

You could do it for single systems sure but really if you're going to be introducing cultural backgrounds for people as part of the base game you would probably want to actually go the extra mile and ensure it ties into everything, their research capabilities, their job background, their age, their time spent in the colony, the kind of stuff the colony has in it, all that stuff, and you would probably want it to be mutable too. It could certainly be a very cool thing to have but possibly not something to add when you're trying to ship 1.0, much more the scope for an expansion or major post release patch.

If you're only going to do it for one system then the trait-to-nullify approach works fine I think. Especially as the game still isn't really a build-forever kind of game, none of the base game content is really designed around you staying on a map for years on end. You can certainly mod the game into that sort of thing but it very definitely isn't in the original design spec.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like adding a half-baked system to simulate people being wary of bionics is worse than not adding any system at all. It's like the whole gay being a trait thing except now it can reasonably disrupt gameplay mechanics.

Sure if he had infinite time and resources he could make a full and complex system but as it is, it's just an unnecessary disincentive to what's generally a late game staple

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Splicer posted:

Am I right in thinking there's no mood penalty for actually missing an arm? That sounds wrong but I think it's true?

That's right. There's a mood penalty for pain but missing limbs don't hurt so they don't contribute to that. From a balance perspective missing an arm is bad enough without piling on a mood malus on top of that, even if it doesn't necessarily make sense realism wise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the way it works out is that you would always want to replace a missing limb because even a minor prosthesis mood penalty is going to be much better than a missing limb. As, frankly, is replacing good limbs almost all the time because a small mood penalty is easily offset. The main change is going to be going full cyborg on people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hihohe posted:

It should be a denegrating status as the cyborgee gets used to his new power body. Just a status that goes from "uncomfortable in their new body" to "getting used to his new body" to "familiar with new body" then no negative status. Its not that some pawns are cool and some are not with a new body, its that having an entirely new body is a completely foreign experience whether you supported it or not. It takes some getting used to.

You can go deeper than that I think. Some never really get used to it. Others decide that robot parts are awesome and get a malus if you don't replace other parts fast enough.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just playing around with the dev build and it looks like the old difficulty names are back :toot:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think I'll try my hand at some kind of humanity cyborg system when 1.0 drops if Tynan persists with the negative mood modifier. I was going to try and (finally) add Endless races to the game, but since I so often play Shadowrun/Deus Ex with my pawns, this might be a better way for me to learn the game systems I'll eventually need for races.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I figured I'd share some funny bits from my most recent cheat playthrough as 1.0 is coming out soon and gently caress it let's go balls out.

Early on, a lone raider wound up becoming a prisoner, went beserk, and attacked my cat. The cat was unharmed. The prisoner wound up bleeding out all over the floor.

To follow up with my earlier post about artificial limbs, here's my main dude. He loving whips now, it's insane watching him buzz around our compound.

And here is my compound, which has five survivors, a bunch of pets including 4 cats, 6 dogs, a panther, turkeys, caribou, etc. I will try to explain the rooms, I have a few empty ones I haven't figured out a purpose for yet but I'm sure it'll come to me eventually.

1) The new prison with individual cells and a common area which should increase their joy. The nutrient paste is hooked up to a stash of human flesh, so those dastardly raiders can taste the flesh of their fallen comrades.
2) A pretty compact hospital, I never have more than a couple patients at a time but it's nice to have it just in case. I tried to zone out some hazard tape around here and the prison as a warning.
3) Here's the hotel for guests. It's pretty barebones and has a few sleeping beds for pets inside, I thought it'd be fun for guests/caravans to crash at a hotel staffed by puppies.
4) Whiskey room with a big screen television. Nobody uses it for some reason, except the turkeys and dogs that get loving balls out wasted off the vodka stash on a regular basis.
5) The primary quarters I started off with was pretty small, so I built an executive suite for our compound leader. It's got a stupidly obnoxious statue and a Sith meditation mat.
6) Large pet sleeping center. Nothing too fancy.
7) Secondary production facility, with a dining table setup as well so colonists can enjoy their midday meals.
8) Main production & R&D hall, with extra storage for weapons.
9) Another relaxation room. Nobody really uses it.
10) I recruited a raider that I had previously removed their ears and nose from, and I figured giving them a large, luxurious house might help stop them from going beserk over mild trespasses. It didn't work out, at one point she started smashing all the furniture.
11) Junk warehouse. I'll probably scale it down later.
12) Main storehouse for meat, and resources.
13) Primary living quarters, now shared by three colonists and a handful of pets after I moved one of the colonists out.
14) Nuclear power plant. Hopefully it never explodes. We hope.
15) Another storeroom, centered on food, apparel, and artificial limbs.
16) Armory, where all the good weapons are kept. We even have an XM-29 in there! To the right is a furnace for disposing of bodies.
17) Isolation prison. We're prepping this guy for human sacrifice when we find a dark god to worship. Some day.
18) Silver stash for trading with black market ships passing overhead.
19) Cult center. Nothing too exciting has happened here yet except some spooky noises.
20) Geyser power generator, just for backup.
21) The start of a small farm area for pigs, turkeys, etc. I've tried to secure the south flank as the only point of entry for raiders/etc. with alpha poly walls and a bunch of automated gun turrets, which has had mix results. No deaths but my cyborg had his drat nose blown off from a shuriken.

I think at this point I'm just waiting to recruit more people, honestly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

excuse me?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It adds a +35% manipulation bonus but gives a major mood malus to anyone who sees them working on anything

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh, trust me, he came with that.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Rimjobworld is in fact a real mod.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Taintrunner posted:

Oh, trust me, he came with that.

I'm more concerned that you let him keep it, there's no way that wouldn't fetch a good price from an exotic goods trader

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'm more concerned that you let him keep it, there's no way that wouldn't fetch a good price from an exotic goods trader

I really don't want to know who is in the market for an improvised cybernetic dong.

fake edit: used

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that in the basic game or a mod now?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

I really don't want to know who is in the market for an improvised cybernetic dong.

fake edit: used

Hey if you got the bleach you can scratch used right off the label. They'll never know.

And frankly if someone wants to upgrade from their lame meat penis to the FuckChallenge5040, which can vibrate at the exact resonance frequency of the human heart and shoot jizz at a target 40 feet away, who am I to stand in the way of fair business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Danaru posted:

Hey if you got the bleach you can scratch used right off the label. They'll never know.

And frankly if someone wants to upgrade from their lame meat penis to the FuckChallenge5040, which can vibrate at the exact resonance frequency of the human heart and shoot jizz at a target 40 feet away, who am I to stand in the way of fair business?

No no no. It's not an improved dong, it's an improvised dong. That means someone went "Hmmm, that kind of looks like maybe a dong, Let's cut mine off and slap that on" and improvised the parts from that they had around. Buying an awesome cyberdong is a totally different thing.