Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

So … space gray or silver?
Go to a store and look at them.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is silver the same color as the old unibody aluminum ones?
Basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$199 FOR A LEATHER SLEEVE?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...0f3b5ced5e9e529

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don't worry. Your brain reaction will normalize over time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I never buy new Macs but if Apple actually releases a MBP with fixed keyboard and is actually thicker than the previous gen I'll eat my hat and buy one on release day full MSRP. :toxx:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I never buy new Macs but if Apple actually releases a MBP with fixed keyboard and is actually thicker than the previous gen I'll eat my hat and buy one on release day full MSRP. :toxx:

Don't worry, you're safe.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Boris Galerkin posted:

So … space gray or silver? Is silver the same color as the old unibody aluminum ones?

Yeah. A weird thing my brain does is get uncanny valley vibes from the new ones in silver? Like only the old ones get to be that color.

Housh posted:

I still have the 2016 keyboard and I do get dirty looks when I'm clacking away on the train ride home

I wish it was louder

I've found it's possible to be gentle and relatively quiet with it. But it's more in my nature to mash loudly and goonily.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

I still have the 2016 keyboard and I do get dirty looks when I'm clacking away on the train ride home

I wish it was louder

:same:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not empty quoting.

I loving love that keyboard and I'll continue to love it until it eventually breaks on me and when I get it replaced I'll ask for the same 2nd generation keyboard dammit and whn that braks Ill larn to liv without crtain kys.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Pretty sure some one can easily make a background app that plays a sound each time a key is pressed.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:johnnyive:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shaocaholica posted:

Pretty sure some one can easily make a background app that plays a sound each time a key is pressed.

individual Force Touch pads under every key, each of which is a retina LCD running watchOS

eames
May 9, 2009

2015 15“ MBP seems to be gone from the store now, can anybody confirm?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

2015 15“ MBP seems to be gone from the store now, can anybody confirm?

It is, you probably shouldn't be paying new computer prices for 3 year old computers in general anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yes, it's disappeared as a choice when you go to buy either 13-inch or 15-inch.

And there's nothing but 2016/2017 models in the refurb area.

It's pretty disgusting that they have a single old school Mac Mini up for grabs for $419 with 4 GB of RAM..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 12, 2018

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So has Apple offered any explanation why for years they have defended the 16GB max by saying they didn't want to use desktop RAM that would reduce battery life, but then are doing it now anyway?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Linguica posted:

So has Apple offered any explanation why for years they have defended the 16GB max by saying they didn't want to use desktop RAM that would reduce battery life, but then are doing it now anyway?

Doublespeak. It was invented back in 1984 for the first Mac ad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Linguica posted:

Because they aren’t? I thought there’s DDR4 specifically for low power for a while.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Proteus Jones posted:

Because they aren’t? I thought there’s DDR4 specifically for low power for a while.

If that were true, they'd be using DDR4L or LPDDR4, but they're not. They're using plain old DDR4, because Intel's CPUs don't yet support LPDDR4. Low power DDR4 exists, but Intel can't use it.

Edit: This is also probably part of why battery got bigger for the same battery life, the other part being thirstier CPUs.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I just assume they were trying to wait out for LPDDR4, gave up, and found a better way to glue the insides together to squeeze in the extra battery to compensate.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe they just got tired of people complaining about it.

Or they found enough power savings elsewhere to offset it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wdarkk posted:

They made the battery bigger

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wdarkk posted:

They moved the goal posts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Did they make the laptop thicker at all?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a benchmark comparing this to older MBPs? I have late-2013 2.3GHz i7 and am curious about the performance difference.

Specifically 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

eames
May 9, 2009

I like that they‘re so ashamed of what must be a 14nm mobile Polaris dGPU that they basically list it as „a powerful GPU“ in most spec sheets.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a benchmark comparing this to older MBPs? I have late-2013 2.3GHz i7 and am curious about the performance difference.

Specifically 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

From what I understood they only showcased the laptops to journalists etc in a controlled environment so it’s doubtful. One thing I read had the guy saying he couldn’t compare the gen1/gen2 keyboards against the new gen3 side by side for a noise comparison even.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Luceo posted:

Well, now what.

I'd really hoped that this would be the year I get to upgrade this mid-2012 non-retina 15" MBP. Of all the things I disliked about the new MBPs, I'd decided to buy one if they'd just release a 15" without the touchbar, since it seemed to me like that would be the most likely thing for them to do.

$2500 laptops should not come with a laundry list of things I dislike. :sigh:

Exact same. When will they ever let me upgrade my 2012 laptop? $3200 is fine with me. $5000 for what I would get is not a fine price and I have a touchbar version at work and I disable it so I don’t accidentally touch it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just because they stopped selling the 2015 models doesn't mean they're all gone. I plan on picking one up off the used market once these new ones drop.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

It’s a good machine for the price. People don’t get what the pro stands for apparently.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It stands for prosumer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

PRADA SLUT posted:

Eh, give it a week or two and RobArt at BareFeats will probably have some good 2017 vs. 2018 comparisons.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It stands for prolapsed dongle :grin:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

hey does anyone want six core x99 hackintosh with 32 of ddr4, will sell for whatever the exact price of the new macbook pro with 32 gb of ddr4 ram and a six core processor with tax and shipping is

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That eGPU thing is sealed and not upgradeable

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicegpu/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol seems like a good deal then! 🙄

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I'm sure you're right, but where on the site are you seeing that?

I couldn't see anything that indicated it wasn't a vertical PCIe card.

quote:

Can I upgrade the GPU chip in the Blackmagic eGPU?

No, the design has been optimized for quiet operation so it’s better suited for creative customers. This means the design is not a simple chassis with a PCIe card plugged in, but an integrated electronics, mechanical and cooling design that cannot have the GPU chip upgraded or changed.

I still don't understand why there's not an option of a Vega.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 13, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why the gently caress would you buy a non upgradable eGPU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Boris Galerkin posted:

Honestly, I'm drawing a complete blank on this too.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Boris Galerkin posted:

It that design meant to match the upcoming Mac Pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because you're a corporate IT department that just wants an extremely validated, rock-solid stable chunk of zero support tickets and couldn't give a flying gently caress about upgrading it some time down the line.