Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Atlas Hugged posted:

They already have an aircraft carrier!

Looks like they are buying some submarines..... from China? Looks like the two might be closer on speaking terms then I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BexGu posted:

Looks like they are buying some submarines..... from China? Looks like the two might be closer on speaking terms then I thought.

Yeah, the new Thai government has been building closer ties to China. They’re also building a rail link between Thailand and Yunnan (which hasn’t existed thus far).

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

BexGu posted:

Thailand is one of the countries in SEA whose territorial claims are not threatened by China's push into the South China Sea, so they don't mind getting chummy with China.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thailand, historically, also gets chummy with everyone until the Japanese invade.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Anyone got that news story bout the couple that literally did not know kids came from sex?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

Koreans were stoked when China restricted travel there and I bet Thais would have the same reaction.

Id love it if australia did. Not for racist reasons, they outnumber locals at the things locals go to. Those places end up pandering to China and actively get worse for locals. I miss moreton island pre china renovations :(

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Some serious face loss spotted in Munich

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Honestly most tourists underpay the infrastructure, especially when it comes to nature parks or rural areas

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9971452/Crumbling-Italian-village-to-charge-entrance-fee-to-pay-for-foundations.html

Tourists use roads, produce garbage, and is a load on local infrastructure. Sure there’s a hotel tax but they don’t pay for any road taxes or other maintenance fees.

And when the tourist dollars come in, it goes to the pockets of hotels and restaurants and shops which may or may not be enough to fund infrastructure.

So yeah charge visitors a park pass like they do in Canada and USA. Introduce quotas or better yet auctions to streamline tourists. Tourists themselves shouldn’t be blamed for wanting to visit your country, they just need to be better directed to managed.

And letting those flag waving 0 fee predatory tour groups owned by Chinese people instead of locals run the mass market show? That’s an administrative failure.

Hell there are wireless headsets for your groups nowadays. Tour guides don’t need to yell across the room and making a giant fuss

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

underage at the vape shop posted:

Id love it if australia did. Not for racist reasons, they outnumber locals at the things locals go to. Those places end up pandering to China and actively get worse for locals. I miss moreton island pre china renovations :(

I miss Moreton island pre Japanese renovations, the guy who manages the resort is a horrible bastard.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm finding now that some tourist places have wifi you connect to and a website with whatever audio tour they have.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kharnifex posted:

I miss Moreton island pre Japanese renovations, the guy who manages the resort is a horrible bastard.

Have you seen the new bar/restaurant they built pretty recently? Generic as hell, with a complete lack of atmosphere. Also they have security guards to annoy white people on the beach that they suspect are people who came over just for the day. gently caress if you have an Australian accent you might have to prove you're a guest just to use any of the stores. So if you take your own boat/the ferry to the island, you are completely shut out of getting anything unless you have a 4x4 to get to the small bars at either end of the island, or feel like hiking through soft sand for hours.

I have a good friend whos parents own/operate a villa in the resort, I stay there a lot, youd think the guards wouldnt question my presence any more.

E: for everyone else, theres 1 place on the whole island to buy stuff beyond snacks/bathers. Moreton island is a small sand island within eyesight of Brisbane, less than an hour on a ferry.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 12, 2018

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

The new Egypt museum owns.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Have you seen the new bar/restaurant they built pretty recently? Generic as hell, with a complete lack of atmosphere. Also they have security guards to annoy white people on the beach that they suspect are people who came over just for the day. gently caress if you have an Australian accent you might have to prove you're a guest just to use any of the stores. So if you take your own boat/the ferry to the island, you are completely shut out of getting anything unless you have a 4x4 to get to the small bars at either end of the island, or feel like hiking through soft sand for hours.

I have a good friend whos parents own/operate a villa in the resort, I stay there a lot, youd think the guards wouldnt question my presence any more.

E: for everyone else, theres 1 place on the whole island to buy stuff beyond snacks/bathers. Moreton island is a small sand island within eyesight of Brisbane, less than an hour on a ferry.
You're not allowed to visit for the day? If that's the rule, how is it possible to go there without already being a guest?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Prebook though I guess if you turned up and told them you wanted to book, theyd probably let you.

The ferry isnt run by the resort I dont think. Also the resort only owns the tiny slice of land they built on. Most of the rest is a national park or owned by residents.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 12, 2018

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

Anyone got that news story bout the couple that literally did not know kids came from sex?

https://www.dramafever.com/news/married-couple-havent-had-sex-/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Since I teach (taught I guess, I'm done) history here I've always had a unit about the origins of civilization. All of my students have always said Egypt is the world's oldest civilization, so I think this is accepted here.

Then I get to blow minds of the three students paying attention that the next oldest was in Peru and they've never heard of it. Civilization... in the Americas????

(then we get to how this is all arbitrary and meaningless)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

That makes sense. So is that tampering with, disabling, or destroying? :thunk:

Disabling requires knowing/caring about what you're doing. Destroying it is!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

nickmeister posted:

You're not allowed to visit for the day? If that's the rule, how is it possible to go there without already being a guest?

It was in the media recently that they have been illegally blocking day visitors from boating over.

I spent alot of time there as a kid, it was great before it got overdeveloped and overfished.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I got a knock on my door. I opened it to find one of the women from the building's main desk, standing and holding a clipboard with a paper full of numbers and check marks. A man in coverall suit was standing behind her. I've dealt with this woman multiple times for my packages and paying some fees, and she speaks fine English. She's also very rude when she wants to be.

She looks at the clipboard, and asks in Mandarin "Are you a Chinese or a foreigner?" I look at her and smile. She asks it again, I guess needing confirmation. I reply waiguoren. She starts talking a bunch in Mandarin and smiling at me, checkmarks her paper, thanks me, and leaves.

I guess they were taking count of all the foreigners in the building, but I thought it very bureaucratic that she didn't want to speak English, and needed confirmation from me whether I was or wasn't a local. I should have said Chinese.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bajaj posted:

I should have said Chinese.

That's always fun. A few times I've told Thai people that I'm Taiwanese and when they question my credentials I start speaking Mandarin and they get even more confused. But being Thai they just roll with it. In every country I've lived in, whenever a local asks me where I'm from, after I've told them, I always respond with, "And what country are you from?" and then guess a country that we're not currently in. That also elicits some great confusion.

Speaking of speaking Mandarin, I was out last night and a large group of Brits accidentally outed themselves as the embassy staff. For obvious reasons, they're supposed to keep that quiet when they're out getting wasted. It was karaoke and I wanted to try singing a Mandarin song, but I wasn't going to if no one else spoke Mandarin, but seeing as how they worked in the embassy, I figured someone might be the Chinese translator. I asked if anyone of them could speak it and one guy immediately leapt up and said he could, so I asked if he knew the song 小蘋果 and he just sort of stared at me for a second before asking if the song was about a dog.

Turns out he could poorly say 你好 and that qualified him to be their Mandarin speaker in Bangkok. Tax dollars hard at work I guess. :britain:

Leaping back to bureaucracy, a lot of people and companies over here just don't know what to do when the foreigner won't play along with the red tape. As an American, you have to fill out extra paperwork when opening a bank account. For the bank I use in Thailand, one of the sections on the form was for my US address. I haven't lived in the US since 2008 and I wanted to see what would happen if I just said, "I don't have a US address." Turns out you can't bank there! There's no work around in the system. I can give my US social security number, my passport number, my Thai address, my visa number, and so forth but without that magic US address, the computer can't progress the application to the next screen.

I was able to get around this when I initially opened the account because they input my place of birth as listed on my passport as my US address. But after I lost my ATM card and needed to get a new one, my account came up as flagged and they needed a full address or else wouldn't give me a new ATM card. They suggested I just put in my parents' address to which I replied, "But my parents are dead." My parents are fine, but again I wanted to see what would happen. They called six supervisors and they all suggested I just put my parents' address from before they died.

My friends suggested I put down 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
1060 West Addison

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bajaj posted:

I guess they were taking count of all the foreigners in the building, but I thought it very bureaucratic that she didn't want to speak English, and needed confirmation from me whether I was or wasn't a local. I should have said Chinese.

They seek the suit.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I WAS OUT WALKING AND LOOK WHO I FUCKIN' SAW

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bajaj posted:

The unnamed painter can only salivate.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Bajaj posted:

Reported for doxxing my post-90s beauties catfishing account :mad:

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYz73W_dufc

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Why are you posting this in the China thread?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's now the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere thread

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why are you posting this in the China thread?

Chaos rules.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bajaj posted:

I got a knock on my door. I opened it to find one of the women from the building's main desk, standing and holding a clipboard with a paper full of numbers and check marks. A man in coverall suit was standing behind her. I've dealt with this woman multiple times for my packages and paying some fees, and she speaks fine English. She's also very rude when she wants to be.

She looks at the clipboard, and asks in Mandarin "Are you a Chinese or a foreigner?" I look at her and smile. She asks it again, I guess needing confirmation. I reply waiguoren. She starts talking a bunch in Mandarin and smiling at me, checkmarks her paper, thanks me, and leaves.

well now it's in official documentation that you are a foreigner, and a self-confessed one at that. i look forward to your immediate and brutal punishment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darkest Auer posted:

New thread title

a bit late but i can do this if people wnat

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yes please (yes way jose)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'll have to shorten the current name down to China.jpg to fit it in

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Just call it "5,000 years of History in Plun'Qing: It's Co-", chabudou no problem

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
rename thread to taiwan.jpg

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Third World Reggin posted:

rename thread to taiwa-

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Third World Reggin posted:

rename thread to taiwan.jpg

Mainland Taiwan.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
This works too

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
:lol: ::china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thread title is good
Fleta lemme know about Spain

• Locked thread