Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I'm honestly pleasantly surprised at how much effort Capcom seems to be putting into this so far. Like Devil Trigger is actually a pretty amazing song. Last time I checked Capcom was turning all its franchises into pure pachinko and being dicks to Kojima.

it's been a really slow but steady climb back to relevance for them but I think the creation of something as cool as the RE Engine is a big factor alongside how much they see their remasters/collections selling. In a 5-month span they're releasing a new Mega Man, Resident Evil, and DMC game, which is kind of insane. The only team at Capcom that's been loving up lately is the fighting game division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wouldn't say capcom's fighting game division loving up is a recent development.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
capcom is a cheap, badly managed company that employs people who sometimes are able to make good things in spite of that

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Capcom has several IPs with fanbases spanning literal decades and they poo poo up every single one somehow. Thankfully they realized what they did and some of them, like DMC, RE, and Mega Man have recovered. The same can not be said for franchises like Onimusha and Dead Rising though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

it's been a really slow but steady climb back to relevance for them but I think the creation of something as cool as the RE Engine is a big factor alongside how much they see their remasters/collections selling. In a 5-month span they're releasing a new Mega Man, Resident Evil, and DMC game, which is kind of insane. The only team at Capcom that's been loving up lately is the fighting game division.

A few years back, Capcom underwent drastic cost cutting and began making more modestly budgeted games. This usually meant that the games were a candle that burnt at two ends. They didn't have the feature set of AAA games or the bargain bin prices of indie games. The company was coasting on Monster Hunter and ports for several years.

They've shifted back to investing more money into their games to make them more competitive. They've basically exhausted all port options until next-gen systems arrive. I guess they can always port RE4 to the Switch.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wouldn't say capcom's fighting game division loving up is a recent development.

Capcom's fighting games are an anomaly in today's market. Just about every fighting game developer from Netherrealm to Arc System Works is finding success. New IPs like Arms and For Honor have found success. Capcom fighters are the odd man out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sunning posted:

Capcom's fighting games are an anomaly in today's market. Just about every fighting game developer from Netherrealm to Arc System Works is finding success. New IPs like Arms and For Honor have found success. Capcom fighters are the odd man out.

It's Street Fighter V specifically that's a pile of trash garbage. All other version were doing perfectly fine.
Street Fighter 4 was doing great until the very end.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I know capcom does weird stuff like they lost some of the rights for characters in the latest Marvel vs Capcom sequel

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Capcom has several IPs with fanbases spanning literal decades and they poo poo up every single one somehow. Thankfully they realized what they did and some of them, like DMC, RE, and Mega Man have recovered. The same can not be said for franchises like Onimusha and Dead Rising though.

oh yeah Dead Rising got the spiked end of the "gently caress you" bat for sure. the guys who did the last one were completely oblivious to what people really wanted to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

I know capcom does weird stuff like they lost some of the rights for characters in the latest Marvel vs Capcom sequel

I god, I forgot MvCI was a thing. What a loving shitshow.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why do people hate SFV so much? I’m only a casual fan of the series and it seems good enough to me, and it’s popular enough to keep getting new seasons of content - but everywhere I see it mentioned has people making GBS threads on it, and one of my favorite prominent FGC guys (Mike Ross) basically admitted it was the main reason he stopped playing fighting games.

Billzasilver posted:

I... don’t see how that’s Capcom’s fault and not Disney’s.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Why do people hate SFV so much? I’m only a casual fan of the series and it seems good enough to me, and it’s popular enough to keep getting new seasons of content - but everywhere I see it mentioned has people making GBS threads on it, and one of my favorite prominent FGC guys (Mike Ross) basically admitted it was the main reason he stopped playing fighting games.

Long story short, the game is incredibly shallow even at intermediate levels of play. There's no depth in it or any room for self-expression.

I went extremely hard into SFV as soon as it came out but quit it completely when later a pro player at EVO Top 8 was using my main character but he didn't do anything that I wasn't already doing myself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sfv is simultaneously a game with some great character designs and animation and some of the worst aesthetic decisions in any capcom fg ever. like even compared to mvci just being ugly and cheap, sfv brings in some decently strong design work and mangles a lot of it to hell in execution

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jack Trades posted:

Long story short, the game is incredibly shallow even at intermediate levels of play. There's no depth in it or any room for self-expression.

I went extremely hard into SFV as soon as it came out but quit it completely when later a pro player at EVO Top 8 was using my main character but he didn't do anything that I wasn't already doing myself.

This and the launch was a loving clusterfuck of being hella barebones and iirc the servers were jacked for a long time, too. It took like months for story mode to even come out and from what I hear it sucked.

SFV seems like a competent enough fighting game, a good one even (though not as tight as SFIV esp when compared to SFIV at the end of its cycle), but the launch really hosed it over for people who weren't already pro players or way deep into fighting games, and even those people seemed pretty salted at the game and how it released.

e: plus it being a sony exclusive on consoles prob didn't help much w/r/t size of its playerbase. though afaik it never would have gotten made if they didn't partner with Sony.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SpazmasterX posted:

The same can not be said for franchises like Onimusha and Dead Rising though.

I mean the last Onimusha (Dawn of Dreams I think?) was weirder but not series wrecking like a number of others, they just haven't ever given it another chance.

esperterra posted:

e: Plus it being a sony exclusive on consoles prob didn't help much w/r/t size of its playerbase. though afaik it never would have gotten made if they didn't partner with Sony.

You pretty much play fighting games on PS4 or PC this gen anyway, the only one the bone ever had was KI and even that got more popular when it finally came to PC. That and SFV actually has cross-play so playerbase is the least of it's problems.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 10, 2018

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Back in ~2010 I remember declaring that Capcom was straight up one of the best developers ever, short of Nintendo and maybe one or two others. Their track record was loving stellar and their IP roster is so good, but god drat shortly thereafter they just kept loving up so hard and so fast it made your head spin. Putting a bullet in Mega Man, a weird spell of total radio silence in regard to Monster Hunter localization, DmC, the direction they were taking Resident Evil in, Street Fighter V being such a debacle after 4 being such a big deal that it essentially caused a fighting game renaissance. I lost massive amounts of respect for them over the better part of the last decade, so it's good to think that they are getting their poo poo back on track.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yardbomb posted:

I mean the last Onimusha (Dawn of Dreams I think?) was weirder but not series wrecking like a number of others, they just haven't ever given it another chance.

You pretty much play fighting games on PS4 or PC this gen anyway, the only one the bone ever had was KI and even that got more popular when it finally came to PC. That and SFV actually has cross-play so playerbase is the least of it's problems.

Yeah fair, I was going mostly by SFIV being so much more popular on 360 but I'd imagine most 360 owners had switched to PS4 by then or were willing to switch to PS4 if Street Fighter was what they used the console for most anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the xbox doesn't have the big brand power it had last gen so yeah, being ps4 exclusive on consoles isn't the death by obscurity it could be on the ps3

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why they haven't brung back Onimusha by now is beyond me. From software and Team Ninja basically have remade it twice now. As soon as they saw Dark Souls get popular, new DMC and Onimusha games should've been ordered.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

RBX posted:

Why they haven't brung back Onimusha by now is beyond me. From software and Team Ninja basically have remade it twice now. As soon as they saw Dark Souls get popular, new DMC and Onimusha games should've been ordered.

The DMC remake poisoned the well to the point that people are complaining that DMCV looks too similar to it, five years later. Personally I never liked the combat in Onimusha, and I almost never hear anyone talk about it. If DMCV does well I'm guessing they might give Onimusha a shot.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 11, 2018

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

toasterwarrior posted:

(Konami, you're thinking about Konami)

Whoops! In my defense Capcom is also apparently big on pachinko based on a five second Google search. :v: And they do/did (tense to be determined) of screwing their franchises too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm willing to believe in a capcom resurrection, but maybe I'm just always too willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they're responsible for at least publishing some of my favorite games ever made.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They've really been on their game lately to be fair, RE7 was great on it's own but it's a masterpiece compared to the crap they were trying in RE6, Monster Hunter World was great and probably secured the next 3 games in that series, I'm ready for DMC to finally come back.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I still haven’t forgiven capcom for not making a Dragon's Dogma sequel and instead making GBS threads out a weird ps4 only mmo that wasn’t released outside of Japan. That game deserves so much better than that poo poo.

They’re taking steps in the right direction but they’re gonna have to earn my trust back now. They spent years completely mishandling everything that wasn’t Monster Hunter, and even then Generations was kind of a loving mess where I couldn’t bring myself to put in half the hours I did in 4U.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
capcom's management will always be poo poo, all that matters is whether they give developers a chance to make anything good without choking their projects to death

this has been the case since the 90s all the way up until now. even with mega man battle network, they killed that franchise not through a lack of effort, but through a lack of any kind of understanding of development time and management choking the team on the 4th game to death and it only recovered when they loosened up on them for the last two

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

I still haven’t forgiven capcom for not making a Dragon's Dogma sequel and instead making GBS threads out a weird ps4 only mmo that wasn’t released outside of Japan. That game deserves so much better than that poo poo.

They’re taking steps in the right direction but they’re gonna have to earn my trust back now. They spent years completely mishandling everything that wasn’t Monster Hunter, and even then Generations was kind of a loving mess where I couldn’t bring myself to put in half the hours I did in 4U.

The developers who made Dragon's Dogma are the same ones who are making DMC V. Unless you're okay with Dragon's Dogma 2 being handed over to a different development team, it's highly unlikely it could be made without sacrificing DMC V at the moment.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The developers who made Dragon's Dogma are the same ones who are making DMC V. Unless you're okay with Dragon's Dogma 2 being handed over to a different development team, it's highly unlikely it could be made without sacrificing DMC V at the moment.

I liked what I saw of DD but that world-building needs work. I'll be glad to play a DD2 if Itsuno shows he's still got it with DMCV, on top of DMCV actually being a game that is happening after so many years!!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dragon's Dogma to me is a game that begs a Divinity: Original Sin 2 style sequel that pushes and stretches the systems with a ton of quests, with a few quality of life changes and mechanical adjustments here and there for some of the systems that aren't working all that well.

That said, I don't think they're gonna go back on Dragon's Dogma, and I'm happy we're getting DMC5.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From memory, Capcom expected Dragon's Dogma to sell 10 million copies or some other absurd amount.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"I've got it, boys: What if we sold 10 million copies of a game, but only spent $20 on developing it? Enormous profits!" - every Capcom exec

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dragons Dogma was the most expensive game they'd ever made up to that point. Re6 surpassed it pretty quickly though

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah but Dragon's Dogma was also Capcom's best selling title on PC too, once that port came out years later.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I will never forgive Capcom for removing Into Free.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JOuSo1IpmU&t=610s

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 11, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Dead Rising I think is fine and there seems to be people who liked it even though I thought only the first 2 were really good and others just average. I think the latter Dead Rising were way too bland and not as charming as the first 2. Also they put out way too many dead risings if you count all the stuff like case closed and mini games/expansions.

Also most Japanese publishers have ridiculous expectations. Like Square expecting every game to sell 5 million+.

Capcom seem to be learning from their mistakes though. DmC sold well below their expectations and they still returned to the franchise.

A month or two before E3 Capcom reregistered a bunch of trademarks for Onimusha, some people were speculating it to be a hd collection like DMC.

I can't but feel optimistic with Capcom these days. Everyone at E3 raved about MM11, RE2 and DMCV looks to be hitting all the right notes. IF they bring any other franchises like Dragons Dogma, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Ace Attourney I lose my poo poo even more.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

Also most Japanese publishers have ridiculous expectations. Like Square expecting every game to sell 5 million+.

no? a lot of japanese games are mid-budget titles that hit like 500k in sales and still manage to break even, square enix is a bad example because they try to be like a major aaa publisher but it's just not something that's feasible for them. add onto that a few years of financial difficulty caused by mismanagement with major final fantasy games and you have them pinning those difficulties on lower than expected sales for their western titles as a scapegoat

and capcom is just cheap and mismanaged to hell in general. there's never been a time in their history where good games weren't made in spite of terrible management

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

no? a lot of japanese games are mid-budget titles that hit like 500k in sales and still manage to break even, square enix is a bad example because they try to be like a major aaa publisher but it's just not something that's feasible for them. add onto that a few years of financial difficulty caused by mismanagement with major final fantasy games and you have them pinning those difficulties on lower than expected sales for their western titles as a scapegoat

and capcom is just cheap and mismanaged to hell in general. there's never been a time in their history where good games weren't made in spite of terrible management

Ya you are right there are actually aren't that many BIG Japanese publishers. Square and Capcom seem to be the ones with the crazy expectations. Konami was a big publisher once upon a time. Bandai Namco are doing pretty well with all their mid budget anime games. Sega is a shadow of it's former self.

Anyway Japanese devs have always used creativity to undermine any budget issues and they have mostly done a good job.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Jack Trades posted:

I god, I forgot MvCI was a thing. What a loving shitshow.

To be fair, so did Marvel.

The Colonel posted:

sfv is simultaneously a game with some great character designs and animation and some of the worst aesthetic decisions in any capcom fg ever. like even compared to mvci just being ugly and cheap, sfv brings in some decently strong design work and mangles a lot of it to hell in execution

It's the largest fighting game ever fielded by Capcom but much of the team was comprised of new graduates and outsourcing art companies. So the level of quality was wildly different across the game.

Many of Capcom's veteran fighting game talent left to join other companies or start their own.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Back in ~2010 I remember declaring that Capcom was straight up one of the best developers ever, short of Nintendo and maybe one or two others. Their track record was loving stellar and their IP roster is so good, but god drat shortly thereafter they just kept loving up so hard and so fast it made your head spin. Putting a bullet in Mega Man, a weird spell of total radio silence in regard to Monster Hunter localization, DmC, the direction they were taking Resident Evil in, Street Fighter V being such a debacle after 4 being such a big deal that it essentially caused a fighting game renaissance. I lost massive amounts of respect for them over the better part of the last decade, so it's good to think that they are getting their poo poo back on track.

Lost Planet. Devil May Cry 4. Monster Hunter Portable. Dead Rising 2. Resident Evil 5. Street Fighter 4.

It felt like they were top of the world at one point.

Wrist Watch posted:

They probably have PTSD from making Dragon's Dogma. It was their largest development team at the time (before RE6 took the record). They did a big marketing push for the game, such as tie-ins with the Berserk anime.

It ended up selling around 1.3 million which is very bad for level of effort put into it. Dragon's Dogma was one of the reason we saw Capcom cut back on new IP and large scale development in general.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dragon's Dogma also had poo poo for advertisement. If it wasn't for goons I wouldn't have ever heard of it, let alone play it based on the dumb videod they showed that neglected to show any cool and unique poo poo.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hell, I never knew Dragon's Dogma was supposed to be a big deal until *right now*. I thought it was some C-team thing that got coded in a couple months and then flopped out the door once it looked vaguely done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flytrap posted:

Hell, I never knew Dragon's Dogma was supposed to be a big deal until *right now*. I thought it was some C-team thing that got coded in a couple months and then flopped out the door once it looked vaguely done.

Dragon's Dogma is pretty much Itsuno's dream game. I'm kinda surprised at how many Japanese game devs/manga artists were inspired by D&D sword and board party adventures but there you go.

George Kamitani of Vanillaware also made his dream game in the same vein as Dragon's Dogma through Dragon's Crown, a side-scrolling beat-em-up like the old Capcom D&D arcade games he also worked on. Also: Dragon's X.

It's why I expect Dragon's Dogma 2 after DMC5; I have faith in this game being a success, and both Capcom and Itsuno being emboldened to have another go at DD because of it.