Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I was pretty braced for that

is there an eta on geofront's stuff or is it just 'when we're done'? if they're doing ao, did they already finish zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://geofront.esterior.net

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stelas posted:

I was pretty braced for that

is there an eta on geofront's stuff or is it just 'when we're done'? if they're doing ao, did they already finish zero?

they aren't doing ao yet, zero is still in editing. the ao tl that got leaked is a rough script with minimal editing, just like the leaked zero patch

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

they aren't doing ao yet, zero is still in editing. the ao tl that got leaked is a rough script with minimal editing, just like the leaked zero patch

ah gotcha, mixed up screenshots somewhere along the way. Thanks.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was going to do this ASAP anyway

Main takeaway is that you might have to shuffle him into the party occasionally to get xp. I'm saving religiously just in case I get thrown into a Yuma-only dungeon and he's still level 2.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

From what I've seen of zero and ao you'll "get it" (not like there's that much nuance in these plots) but quality is all over the place. Like I was watching a guy stream ao earlier and he ran into a very well edited hidden side quest, just kind of randomly. So it's up to how willing you are to put up with that. The PC ports are also a little shonky while the psp versions are butt ugly and ao at least has some bizarre emulation issues (mostly to do with save states).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'll put :10bux: on okama.jpg up there being a mistranslation and it's supposed to be "don't let them fool you."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
michel is an okama and he's asking you to be nice to him

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

thats what utena was about

had a hearty chuckle at this one

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, as a whim I picked up Shining Resonance Refrain today (for PS4, as I didn't feel like using up more HD space for the Steam version), and upon putting it in I immediately noticed an issue - not with the gameplay itself, which I haven't tried yet, but with the expanded menu on the PSN menu. Namely, you can't even see it - when you bring it up, you get the game logo background as usual... but it just so happens to be such a bright white that you can't even see the text or selectable boxes. Game itself is probably fine, but you kind of have to wonder how that wasn't caught before launch, because it's incredibly blatantly obvious.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Amazon pages are going up for Atelier Rorona Totori Meruru DX and from the screenshots on the page, it looks like a straight port with PS3 level graphics.
The UI elements are for the PS4. The Rorona page in particular also says the 3DS extra content will not be added.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish shining resonance's protag didn't seem kind of boring cause otherwise i'd probably jump on it while i'm waiting for tales of vesperia

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Colonel posted:

i wish shining resonance's protag didn't seem kind of boring cause otherwise i'd probably jump on it while i'm waiting for tales of vesperia

I'm really hoping he gets better because right now I'm basically playing a game with :smith: as the hero.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i want to love you olivier, please stop hitting on joshua

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

i want to love you olivier, please stop hitting on joshua

No can do. Dude has a thirst.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Olivier is powered by flirting, if he stops he'll probably die. You don't want that, do you?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Olivier is a force of nature and also the protagonist.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Olivier hits on everyone and everyone hits on Joshua

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Joshua's not that cute!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Joshua's not that cute!!

:hai: kick him to the curb

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Olivier is the best character in the Trails series and that's not a hot or even lukewarm take (Estelle is up there tho)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i started middens part of a rpgmaker trilogy. i hate how you can't go back screens most of the time, and so far i got stuck behind the bus that comes in and lost all my progress. not a good start but at least it looks kind of neat

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I think my favorite part of Wild Arms 2 so far is Ashley going ‘Is it just me or is ‘rule the world’ actually a really unrealistic goal for an evil organization to have?’

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Olivier is the best character in the Trails series and that's not a hot or even lukewarm take (Estelle is up there tho)

*screaming, at the top of my lungs*
ITS DUVALIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

top 3 Trails characters are Olivier, Duvalie, and Instructor Sara

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Duvalie is the #1 character in the Trails series... to bully (though she's a great character regardless). Olivier truly is the greatest though.

Least liked for me are probably Cassius Bright and Mariabell Crois.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Least liked for me are probably Cassius Bright and

cassius has a powerful mustache and thus cannot be the worst. he's also a fantastic boss fight just for how insanely difficult he is

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
the worst characters in the trails series are the Erebonian royal family and how they keep trying to hook Rean up with his sister

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

the worst characters in the trails series are the Erebonian royal family and how they keep trying to hook Rean up with his sister

Well we all know how royals are.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
more Laura

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Laura and Fie

Spells Victory

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So because I'm always game for new RPGs with good music, I got a question.

I've heard all kinds of battle music. However I've heard very little in the way of "sad" battle themes. I haven't played as many JRPGs as you all but from my recollection, only Xenosaga III and Chrono Cross have battle themes that are clearly tragic and emotional. (they're also two of the best tracks in the respective games, "Hepatica (KOS-MOS)" for XSIII and "Prisoners of Fate" for CC)

So what are some good sad battle themes? If there are spoilers involved - after all, something important must be going down for these songs to be used - and you want to note them while listing the song, that be great.

Also, tangentially related, I know of zero WRPGs with sad battle music. There certainly weren't any in KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout or Fable. That's all the WRPGs I've played.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWO4ff1HXYY

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fire Emblem: Awakening has Don't Speak Her Name. The previous battle was a rescue mission that failed dramatically (the target died) and not you've got to fight your way out while. It does that thing where it doesn't have music transitions between battle and the map screen, not even switching when it's the enemy turn like the game usually does, which is a pretty striking effect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

So what are some good sad battle themes? If there are spoilers involved - after all, something important must be going down for these songs to be used - and you want to note them while listing the song, that be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mM-nHCieSI
The fight syncing to the music is extra important here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibt88_MZ3Gg&t=210s

e: this video's kind of a bad show of it, skipping to around 9m is fine

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 13, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I still get sad at the awakening moment. :'(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's not really a 'sad' theme as such, but it's a low key for a final boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8YOoQ-Py88

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

So because I'm always game for new RPGs with good music, I got a question.

I've heard all kinds of battle music. However I've heard very little in the way of "sad" battle themes. I haven't played as many JRPGs as you all but from my recollection, only Xenosaga III and Chrono Cross have battle themes that are clearly tragic and emotional. (they're also two of the best tracks in the respective games, "Hepatica (KOS-MOS)" for XSIII and "Prisoners of Fate" for CC)

Also, tangentially related, I know of zero WRPGs with sad battle music. There certainly weren't any in KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout or Fable. That's all the WRPGs I've played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr89znbZOrY

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And also from Kingdom Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yQioUhk9E&t=44s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ7WKNroYE

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kid-UAtalx0

I keep thinking a series like Suikoden must have a fair number of downer battle themes but this is the only one I can really be sure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCFhQ05UnQk plays in Suikoden 2 during sad events and at the very end of the game when you're forced to fight Jowy to the death.