Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I found out Crowley "lives" 12 blocks from me :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

:eyepop:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

I found out Crowley "lives" 12 blocks from me :lol:

egg his house

egg his house with rocks

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I sincerely hope the people acting like they believe Crowley isn't lying through his teetn about NY electoral law are being insincere, because otherwise they must be the easiest marks in the world

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Office Pig posted:

egg his housePO Box

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

neoliberalism.txt posted:

It's very plausible that one reason American workplaces have gotten safer over the decades is that we now tend to outsource a lot of factory-explosion-risk to places like Bangladesh where 87 people just died in a building collapse.* This kind of consideration leads Erik Loomis to the conclusion that we need a unified global standard for safety, by which he does not mean that Bangladeshi levels of workplace safety should be implemented in the United States.

I think that's wrong. Bangladesh may or may not need tougher workplace safety rules, but it's entirely appropriate for Bangladesh to have different—and, indeed, lower—workplace safety standards than the United States.

The reason is that while having a safe job is good, money is also good. Jobs that are unusually dangerous—in the contemporary United States that's primarily fishing, logging, and trucking—pay a premium over other working-class occupations precisely because people are reluctant to risk death or maiming at work. And in a free society it's good that different people are able to make different choices on the risk–reward spectrum. There are also some good reasons to want to avoid a world of unlimited choice and see this as a sphere in which collective action is appropriate (I'll gesture at arguments offered in Robert Frank's The Darwin Economy and Tom Slee's No One Makes You Shop At Walmart if you're interested), but that still leaves us with the question of "which collective" should make the collective choice.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/24/international_factory_safety.html?via=gdpr-consent

Condiv has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Jul 12, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

jfc

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

It's kind of sad that Crowley expected AOC to just put up with his ratfucking and part of his floundering now is because she ruined it by tweeting about it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

It's kind of sad that Crowley expected AOC to just put up with his ratfucking and part of his floundering now is because she ruined it by tweeting about it

dems are not used to being stood up to

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In the interest of peace between us and the refugees, I have aquired a winning move from the Senate Dems playbook

I hearby declare us all doomed and recommend that we surrender to the demlols thread immediately in the name of decorum and bipartisan aisle crossing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What bad vote has Manchin cast that was the deciding vote? It doesn't loving matter if he was the 53rd yes.

lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

What bad vote has Manchin cast that was the deciding vote? It doesn't loving matter if he was the 53rd yes.

lol

I remember using the same logic to defend Hillary's Iraq War vote in the pre-escalator days, when my brain was still broken.

I now see what a loving idiot I was.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
excited to see joe Crowley start a new lib dem third party in America

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

sorrynotsorry.txt posted:

It seems like the entire Internet has registered its objections to this piece I wrote on the Bangladesh factory disaster. And I have to say that my overwhelming personal response, as a writer and as a human being, is to be annoyed by the responses that I'm getting. But let me try to be mature about it instead and say—what happened in Bangladesh is a tragedy and a human disaster, and to the best of my knowledge it's also quite literally a criminal disaster under the existing laws of Bangladesh. The perpetrators ought to be punished. More broadly: Bangladesh ought to enforce its laws. Even more broadly than that: Bangladesh's citizens deserve honest and uncorrupt government rather than government that's excessively under the sway of the interests of apparel factory owners. Dylan Matthews has an informative interview with Kimberly Ann Elliott of the Center for Global Development in which she—a person who has relevant detailed knowledge of the situation—outlines a variety of modest measures that could improve the situation, and you should read it.

Here's what I did. I read a guy who pivoted from the tragedy to a call for the U.S. government or U.S. consumers to try to impose U.S. safety standards on all U.S.-supplying factories around the world. I did not have detailed information about the situation in Bangladesh, but I did—and continue to—have good reason to believe that this call was mistaken. So I wrote a post trying to outline why I think it's appropriate for rich countries to have more stringent standards than poor ones, and I absolutely stand by that conclusion.

gently caress you matt

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/26/some_further_thoughts_on_bangladesh.html

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

lol

It's kind of funny that the same people that say this poo poo will also shame you for voting third-party in a non-swing state

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NYWFP/status/1017474588027088896

having a normal one

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/959543365116354562?s=09

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/nywfp/status/1017475534023004161?s=21

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1017460734035447811

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Replies are way more chuds than baddems unfortunately

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
listen here you little ungrateful piece of poo poo, there's no reason for name calling, you socdem rear end in a top hat, and it reflects poorly that you, a complete and total waste of space and resources, have the gall to point the finger at me, mr no drama

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/Juniorevitch/status/1017476831090442242

https://twitter.com/Juniorevitch/status/1017482284512006144

loquacius posted:

Replies are way more chuds than baddems unfortunately

:lol: a baddem is the single like on the above chud's tweet

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Maybe in the absolute sense, but there was research in the Obama years that showed that mergers in markets with relatively few competitors had a measurable negative impact on consumers in that market and an commensurate positive impact on profits in that sector.

The Obama FTC used that as justification to block mergers, until they got sued and a court ruled that empirical evidence from past events can't prove a trust forming.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

anime was right posted:

dems are not used to being stood up to

I mean they never even try to fight in the first place

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Matty is right

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

wow you're telling me the centrists were full of poo poo the whole time?!?!?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol i originally thought crowley was just stupid and didnt think to take his name off the ballot but it looks like he actually planned to try and lieberman ratfuck the election and didnt think anyone would notice or care which is even dumber

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shear Modulus posted:

lol i originally thought crowley was just stupid and didnt think to take his name off the ballot but it looks like he actually planned to try and lieberman ratfuck the election and didnt think anyone would notice or care which is even dumber

supporting the lesser of two evils is something only leftists are expected to do

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's so interesting how a group that supposedly is allied with leftists shows over and over again how they really would like to be allied with the right and have nothing but contempt for the left-wing they depend on to win elections

just look how centrists behave when they have to resist fascism. they refuse to bend any rules or norms and desire to take the high road at all costs!

and just look how they behave when resisting lefism. the aforementioned rules and norms are torn to shreds instantly and they turn into slithering reptiles undermining us in any way they can. their charter, their "lesser of two evils" screed, all of it can be abandoned when it comes to resisting the left

it's quite obvious that centrists only respect the fasicsts, for all of their bluster about wanting to fight back against fascism. cause at the end of the day, the only side they fight "honorably" against is the insane, fascist right wing party. and the only group they fight tooth and nail is the left

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Condiv posted:

it's so interesting how a group that supposedly is allied with leftists shows over and over again how they really would like to be allied with the right and have nothing but contempt for the left-wing they depend on to win elections

just look how centrists behave when they have to resist fascism. they refuse to bend any rules or norms and desire to take the high road at all costs!

and just look how they behave when resisting lefism. the aforementioned rules and norms are torn to shreds instantly and they turn into slithering reptiles undermining us in any way they can. their charter, their "lesser of two evils" screed, all of it can be abandoned when it comes to resisting the left

it's quite obvious that centrists only respect the fasicsts, for all of their bluster about wanting to fight back against fascism. cause at the end of the day, the only side they fight "honorably" against is the insane, fascist right wing party. and the only group they fight tooth and nail is the left

the lesser of their two evils is unfettered capitalism

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

Same.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also now that Crowley has tucked his tail between his legs the centrists are gonna pretend like that was always the case and AOC was just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agean90 posted:

lol if uve never had a mixed drink from a Batman forever glasd Micky D's made in the mid 90's

I have this glass.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1017450581403762690

https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/status/1017453254106632192

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1017493358325981184

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/YannisTrittas/status/1017493204583768064

:confused:

edit:
https://twitter.com/YannisTrittas/status/1017489238642880513

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I have this glass.

hell yeah

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I think I've found peak SUCC

https://twitter.com/AltUSPressSec/status/1017413061827653632?s=19

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

well his bio says "NY Politico" so clearly he must be correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

there was literally a bernie/johnson voter in this very thread. johnson "took" (in the sense that they are more dem-leaning voters) more clinton votes than trump votes - you can look at the polling, clinton consistently did worse when johnson was included.

Aren't there other reasons why the circumstances leading to Johnson being included might correlate with Clinton doing worse? That information isn't worthwhile on its own.

• Locked thread