Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Slimnoid posted:

[*]Unknown Armies

Dang, I can't believe I missed UA off my list. I loving love UA - it's so good. Unlike some people, I really really really like 3E, and I think the new madness meter / skill interactions are very clever and create exactly the kind of experience I want. Also, it's loving nuts as a setting, and I adore that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
My favorite games right now that I've gotten to play or run are:

13th Age: It's a good vehicle for making some fun fantasy times, particularly if you want quick character creation. Best if played in storygame mode with the tactical elements as a spice.

Apocalypse World: Still a solid choice for freeform play, and a great pick if you wanna play a thing with no plans.

Battle Century G: Great mecha game, and I appreciate its relative freeform nature. Supports a lot of different possibilities.

Breakfast Cult: Love the setting and characters, through I'd probably either toss or heavily modify the system next time. Fate Accelerated just wasn't doing it for me as a GM.

Double Cross; Yeah, the dice mechanic is a hot mess and the balance is all over the place, but it's got some of the most fun powers out there and good animefeels. I also like the railroady structure that keeps things moving, no sarcasm.

Fantasy Craft: I keep thinking I'm over this game - the d20 mechanics have aged badly - but then I think of a new character build and I just want to play it again. A mountain dwarf that jumps on people with a trample attack! I'll call him... Marius.

Golden Sky Stories: The antidote to attack roll exhaustion.

Hillfolk: Best arguments. Great game.

Legend of the Five Rings: I think I'm over this game as far as running goes - I can just do feudal Japan - but I have a nostalgia for it I can't entirely justify. One of the better-detailed non-European fantasy settings, at least.

Marvel Heroic: I like Marvel! The system? System's better than the other Marvel systems, I guess. Just let me play Fin Fang Foom sometime.

Masks: Giving real ultimate power and responsibility to those who are not ready for it is a neverending gobstopper of entertainment.

Over the Edge: It's the most ninetiesest and the best ninetiesest. The long-running game I was probably the edgiest game I've ever played, to the point I probably couldn't recount a lot of it here without getting a ton of sideeye. It was great.

Planescape: Independent of system, very few fantasy settings feel fantastic, but this definitely does. I love getting to wander between different worlds based on a high school philosophy course and the weird drippings of the Manual of the Planes.

Savage Rifts: Nostalgia and spider-skull walkers make fools of us all.

Discounted a lot of games I've gotten to play but really not enough to count, like D&D 4th Edition, Chronicles of Darkness, Fragged Empire, 7th Sea, etc.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Right now I'm running 13th Age, which is going okay for something we're only 2 sessions deep into. With the same group I've also run Blades in the Dark and Unbound, both of which were good campaigns. We played Fall of Magic once, too, and that was pretty great.

On the List of games to play when I get the chance are:
  • Nobilis
  • Godbound
  • Fellowship
  • Sig
  • Breakfast Cult
  • And a load of others that I've forgotten for now.

In the past I've played or run (mostly run) every stripe of D&D and D&D-derivative, many variations of PbtA, Fate in various forms, Marvel Heroic, 7th Sea (1st ed, for two years), L5R, Traveller (Mongoose version), Exalted 1e and 2e, oVampire, nVampire, oWerewolf, nMage, nMummy, Shadowrun, Champions, Burning Wheel... the list goes on and on and on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh one of the former Bioware lead devs (Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 and NWN1) is doing a 5E sourcebook.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm interested in 13th Age, but the game my friend runs is at a time I can't make, so I haven't played it.

Talking to him recently though, he's getting disillusioned with the system. Namely classes: he feels that (for instance) the Wizard is overpowered, the Fighter and other "precisely what number did you roll?" classes too gimmicky and fiddly, etc.

I know third-party classes have been made, and many are well-received. Is there consensus on which third-party classes are worth bringing in, or flat out replacing core classes with?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My goto games are DnD 4e, Strike! As well as Cortex+ and Dogs in the Vineyard. I've played every DnD as well as a couple of Shadowruns, some PbtA hack my friend

I want to try out Fragged Empire, Valor, Battle Century G and...

Plutonis posted:

Pokemon Tabletop United.

How is this though?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Things I’ve played or GMed:

Dungeon World (:cool:)
Apocalypse World
Spirit of ‘77 (long live Carrie Malone)
D&D 3.5, 5

Things I want to play or GM:

Blades in the Dark
Fellowship
Microscope
The Quiet Year
Microlite20/76 or whatever
Double Cross

Things that catch my eye but I’m not sure about:

FATE
Shadow of the Demon Lord
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Any other OSR stuff
D&D 4

Things I bounced off of playing for some reason:

Apocalypse World (not really into Mad Max stuff)
D&D 3.5, 5 (slow and boring, TAZ and CR are cool tho)

Things I will actively avoid:

FATAL
White Wolf/World of Darkness
Warhammer (+40k)
Stuff that requires a grid or a calculator (hard to do online and I have few people to game with IRL)
Wargames (not interested)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Things that catch my eye but I’m not sure about :

D&D 4

This is one of my favourites but I don't think you will like it because:

Pollyanna posted:

Things I will actively avoid:

Stuff that requires a grid or a calculator (hard to do online and I have few people to game with IRL)
Wargames (not interested)

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Mostly played D&D but of the editions I've played, I'd rank them:

BECMI—Simple and straightforward even though there's rough spots like the saving throws and descending AC. I like Mystara as dorky as it may be. The GAZ series adds some interesting stuff like merchant caravans, rules for pirates and so forth.
5e—I'm not going to argue that you should drop your other editions to play this, but if your regular group only uses 3.5e otherwise it's a nice upgrade. If I'd actually played 4e, I'm sure this would feel like a step back.
3/3.5e—Complicated, unbalanced but consistent. Way too many splat books and I usually stuck with single PHB class human characters to keep things relatively simple. The main reason I don't hate it is because a 20th level dwarven wizard is possible unlike...
2e—Just way too much inconsistent stuff piled on top of itself. Skills and powers made it worse, but out of the box there were racial level limits, multi classing, dual classing, percentile strengths, kits and arbitrary restrictions.
AD&D—2e with wandering sex workers tables, female maximum strength, assassins and demons and without THAC0. I seriously don't understand what anybody sees in this.

Also played various Palladium system games. I like the art style in some of them like Rifts Japan, but it's like AD&D on crack as far as the rules go.

I'm interested in trying Ryuutama. It looks cute and I like the rules-light murderhobo idea with resource management.
FATE would be interesting but it's a huge change in mindset compared to what I've played before.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fr0id posted:

Surely you've played some games that you liked more than others? Which of those did you like best?
I listed it right in the thing you quoted. :)

Games I've enjoyed most in the past decade or so and would play more of:
D&D 4e (by a country mile)
SotDL
DCC
Feng Shui 2
Godbound (running now)

Games I Like but don't want to play all the time for various reasons:
Paranoia XP
WFRP2
BECMI/RC
Anything Cthulhu-ish. I have a d20 hack that works great, and tried a Savage Worlds version of it

Games I Want to Try
Unity (can't wait for my hardcover)
Fragged Empires
Blades
Esoterrorists
Timewatch
Ryuutama
13A
Summerland
Legacy
POWERS AND PERILS
Something Fate-y, maybe Breakfast Cult
Talislanta 4e maybe?
Spellbound Kingdoms
Far Away Land

Games I got within the past decade but am not particularly interested in
5e
Mutant Crawl Classics
7th Sea 2e
...and a bunch of other kickstarters that ended up sucking, like Emissary

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Played or GMed:
BECMI Red box (totally wrong because I was a kid)
ADnD 1e (with a mental GM who probably had most of it wrong)
ADnD 2e
DnD 3/3.5
DnD 4e
DnD 5e
DnD next beta
Pathfinder
Over The Edge 1e
FFG Star Wars
SotDL
Dungeon World (wonky)
13th Age (wonky)
Unknown Armies 2e (wonky)
Mutants And Masterminds (failed)

Want to try:
Strike
Unity
Fellowship
Costume Fairy Adventures
Under Hollow Hills
Legacy 2e
Microscope / Echo

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Talking to him recently though, he's getting disillusioned with the system. Namely classes: he feels that (for instance) the Wizard is overpowered, the Fighter and other "precisely what number did you roll?" classes too gimmicky and fiddly, etc.

I have a level 5 wizard in a long running 13th age campaign and can confirm they are still very overpowered relative to the other classes. You very quickly ramp up in offensive power and with careful feat choices can completely shred bosses before everyone else can get many hits in even with escalation.

Our group is more focused on narrative than combat in this campaign and the icon rolls add some neat twists each session, but if you were playing a more combat oriented campaign I can totally see how it would probably be disappointing for the other PCs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Games I've Run/Played
Strike (2 campaigns back-to-back over 2 years that went pretty well)
Atomic Robo Fate (pretty good, would like to get more experience)
Shadow of the Demon Lord (some 1-shots, gearing up to run a full campaign)
Dungeons and Dragons 4e (awesome, would run again in a heartbeat)
Dungeon World (a little experience, it was fun but I need more practice)
Blades in the Dark / Scum and Villainy (currently running 1 game of each, hella fun but I want to run other hacks next)
D&D 3.5 (never again)

Games I'm Interested In Running/Playing
Stars Without Number (this will probably the next campaign I run alongside SotDL)
Silent Legions (I want to run a campaign of this set in Georgia)
Blades Against Darkness / Copperhead County (both Blades hacks that extremely my poo poo)
Ars Magica (looks cool as hell, but it will most likely need to be a hybrid voice/Discord game)
Torg Eternity (picked this up recently and it actually looks fun)
Godbound (probably using the Mortal Heroes rules, I love the setting and mechanics)
Fragged Empire (if I could ever figure out the drat rules)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ooh, ooh, other things I want to try:

BECMI (but not if it requires grids n poo poo)
Dogs in the Vineyard
The Burning Wheel
Legacy (esp. the castlevania mod)

Moriatti posted:

This is one of my favourites but I don't think you will like it because:

Yeah, if that’s the case, I think I’m good...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
if you aren’t cool with serious crunch you’re REALLY not going to like burning wheel.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crunch as in grids and calculators, or crunch as in hairy logic?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

It's a heavy system that requires a lot of system mastery from both players and GMs.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oh, I could toss in Black Hack, possibly 2e. Maybe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Meh, I’ll keep to APs of it then.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Crunch as in “every skill has its own XP track, and there are literally over 100 skills” and “the serious combat system involves players ‘scripting’ out series of blows and feints, one by one, in secret, then comparing them to what the GM wrote, in secret”

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Burning Wheel seems so bizarre, I don't think I could actually play it but it's fascinating in that it takes someone's wild vision of a way to do tabletop roleplaying and runs as far as it can with it. I'd like to see a decent AP actually though I find listening to other people play tabletop games to be rather dull.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Burning Wheel: It's a well designed unwieldly ball of relatively good stuff that's got too much to do anything with without a lot of effort.

Games I've played or ran in the last 12-ish months:

World Wide Wrestling
Urban Shadows
Feng Shui 2
Spycraft 2.0
Fight!
Street Fighter
Band of Blades
Blades in the Dark
Dragon Age
13th Age
Marvel Heroic
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
Monster of the Week
Torg Eternity
Operators
Dresden Files Accelerated
Atomic Robo Fate
Star Wars FFG
Into The Smoke (local indy dev'd game)

Games I want to play:

Unity
Blades Against Darkness
Copperhead County
Leverage/Whatever comes out as a final Cortex Prime system
New Scion

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I picked up Burning Empires many years ago at Gen Con. hosed if I can make heads or tails of it.

It doesn't even have a write up of the awesome setting from the comics.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The main thing I recall from Burning Empires is that if you take the soldier lifepath you get the mandatory trait "FUGAZI". I don't know what that means. It's never explained in the book. Even Googling for it doesn't clear it up for me.

Then I played Burning Wheel, and that cured me of all desire to play Burning Anything Ever Again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thelazyblank posted:

Burning Wheel: It's a well designed unwieldly ball of relatively good stuff that's got too much to do anything with without a lot of effort.

Yeah, this is about right. Its design is very interesting, but I would never want to actually play it any more, especially now that The One Ring exists for Middle-Earth roleplaying.

The books are gorgeous, though. I own both BWG and the Codex because they're such nice physical artefacts.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

potatocubed posted:

The main thing I recall from Burning Empires is that if you take the soldier lifepath you get the mandatory trait "FUGAZI". I don't know what that means. It's never explained in the book. Even Googling for it doesn't clear it up for me.

It means you’re in a cool band.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember hpapyefl going on a rant about how BW is very much not in the spirit of the games that the Forge/indie movement of the early 00s was encouraging people to make. (As opposed to My Life with Master or Nicotine Girls.) It's a fair cop.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember hpapyefl going on a rant about how BW is very much not in the spirit of the games that the Forge/indie movement of the early 00s was encouraging people to make. (As opposed to My Life with Master or Nicotine Girls.) It's a fair cop.

I don’t know why anyone would think it was in the first place, at every level it’s a weird crank’s heartbreaker with complicated rules and subsystems that actually kind of works. It’s like complaining DnD isn’t in the spirit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

- What system was it in?
- How long did it run?

A D&D 4E PbP game being run on RPGnet. Started over seven years ago, still ongoing somehow.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moriatti posted:

How is this though?

I like it a lot! It has its flaws but the fact that it gets patched every now and then by an active dev team means that it's got a lot better than the clunky system it used to be.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Pollyanna posted:

- What system was it in?
- How long did it run?

As a GM it was the 2-year 7th Sea campaign I ran from... about 2002 to 2004? That sort of ballpark. It was an in-person game that started with the Freiburg boxed set for the first year, then moved in to stuff I'd made up for the 2nd one. We had not-French ninjas, all-new bargain sorcery, Ussuran sea-bears, German love poetry written and performed live, and epic shopping. It was a good time.

I've also played in a 2-year (I think?) in-person nMage campaign run by goon flavivirus. I think that was... 2012 to 2014? I'm pretty sure it ended right before my kid was born, which is that sort of time frame. We did terrible things to the fabric of time and space, prevented other people doing even worse things to said fabric, nearly lost a fight with several cats, interfered with someone's (probably) world-ending plan via wildcat strikes and detonating a volcano, and my character Liam personally uplifted a hamster into an Instagram sensation and multi-threaded his own mind. Later on we discovered that one third of Liam had been corrupted by the abyss and had been secretly plotting against us for months. Oops.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We played Dawn of Defiance on Maptool for 3 years or so in Saga Edition. It was a really fun campaign in a pretty fun system. That was the last time my players really learned how to play their characters fully.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

- What system was it in?
- How long did it run?

D&D 4e campaign played in-person for two years.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pollyanna posted:

- What system was it in?
- How long did it run?

Just wrapped an in-person D&D4e campaign that ran four years (I joined in the second year) from 1st to 21st level.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Ooh, ooh, other things I want to try:

BECMI (but not if it requires grids n poo poo)
Dogs in the Vineyard

BECMI and Dogs are both great and neither requires grids, though BECMI benefits from maps at all, even if they aren't combat maps.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how does everyone in this thread like 4e (including myself) but i can never find anyone in real life willing to admit it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how does everyone in this thread like 4e (including myself) but i can never find anyone in real life willing to admit it

Because real life sucks.

Serious answer, because regardless of the semantic arguments over whether an RPG can ever truly "die" as long as the books still exist and whatnot, a lot of groups and players do gradually and invariably drift away from games which no longer receive ongoing support in favor of newer games with active shelf presence and that new car smell. I mean even this place used to have way more calls for 4E PbPs than it does nowadays. I think it's just one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^ you motherfuck

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I know plenty of people who liked 4e, but even for nerds of the caliber that ruminate on forums about the qualities of games the vast majority of people prefer an "actively supported" game which, somehow, means 5e now (or Pathfinder).