Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

Which reminds me of that episode of Gomer Pyle where he sings the song Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha which led to me finding out that Jim Nabors had an absolutely stunning singing voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZT8pXnPxHc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

duckmaster posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLduvnW-FA

Pope Leo XVIII, almost certainly the earliest born person to be filmed.

In 1810 the French were being pushed out of Portugal in the Penninsular War and the US annexed the Republic of West Florida. Mind blowing.

Not that certainly, actually! In 1905, the two brothers Milton and Yanaki Manaki travelled to their home village of Avdella in what is today northern Greece and back then formed part of the Ottoman Empire. Along then came a film camera they had bought shortly before in London, and with it they captured a couple of everyday scenes in Avdella (they probably didn’t know that this was also the first footage shot in the Balkans ever). Amongst the scenes and people filmed was their grandmother Despina, who they claimed to be 114 years old at the time, which would mean that she was born around 1791. There’s no way to prove or disprove that claim, but personally I like to believe that the earliest born person to be filmed wasn’t an extremely powerful monarch and clergyman, but an old peasant woman living in the middle of nowhere.

https://youtu.be/vCxkADaZHd4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A daguerreotype for ants

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BBkFacaBHY

They called Helmuth von Molkte “The Great Silent One”, but so far as we know, he is the only person born prior to the nineteenth century whose voice has been preserved.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

If you've ever wondered why everyone seems to look so stern in old photographs, this is the reason - nobody could hold a smile for the long exposure time.

That's also why the eyes often look kind of weird. You had to sit still for a pretty significant period of time and good luck not blinking that long.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Milo and POTUS posted:

A daguerreotype for ants

Eyy I forgot to put the link in to the bigger version. Should be fixed now.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's also why the eyes often look kind of weird. You had to sit still for a pretty significant period of time and good luck not blinking that long.

This is another reason that the whole 'oh no they were photographing their dead relatives one last time' thing is so heavily perpetuated today. Yes, it did happen, of course, but much of the time the reason that kid's eyes are painted on is because there ain't no one keeping a 3 year old still for that long.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 12, 2018

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
keep in mind that they had exposure times down to nearly-modern brevity by the late 19th century -- if the photo is on cardstock instead of a metal plate, the sitters only had to stay still for a moment, but the serious face for a serious portrait remained a cultural phenomenon for decades after it was no longer caused/required by technological limitations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

InediblePenguin posted:

keep in mind that they had exposure times down to nearly-modern brevity by the late 19th century -- if the photo is on cardstock instead of a metal plate, the sitters only had to stay still for a moment, but the serious face for a serious portrait remained a cultural phenomenon for decades after it was no longer caused/required by technological limitations.
Kinda like QWERTY keyboards?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'd say it's got more to do with how people look in paintings than the process of photography itself ("sitting for a portrait", which is serious business, being the common denominator).

I've seen photos of people smiling back to the 1910s at least, maybe further?

My sister did an art school thing some years back where she classed several old photos by expressions happy/sad/angry (subjectively of course)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jul 13, 2018

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
There's this photo from 1900 or so

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Rumda posted:

The first goon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

stab posted:

The first goon

Much too handsome for that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That guy is cool af

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rumda posted:

Those are the eye bags of a man that's held that pose for six hours

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That looks like it's from Arrested Development.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rumda posted:

I'm reminded of that gag from Mulan where we see a portrait a guy had taken of him with the Emperor of China, at first you think it's funny just because he's making a really goofy face in it, but then you realize just how long it takes a portrait to be painted and then it becomes hilarious because he had to have held that face the whole time it was being painted

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Wasn't photography real expensive, even on cardstock? I remember seeing a bunch of photos of victorians pulling stupid faces because the cameraman was trying to use up a bunch of film before it expired, so they got it for free.

Although this was a thing by 1905:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_picture_candidates/What%27s_Delaying_My_Dinner

I'd have posted the image but imgur was being lovely with me and pretending not to exist

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, it wasn't cheap as it took a lot of work. Processing the pictures was done carefully by hand in a dark room. Photography was a difficult skill at the time. Polaroid cameras were a massive game changer as we're film rolls that could be mechanically processed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also glass plate negatives were a thing in the early days. Those must have cost a mint.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kodak really revolutionized things with their first camera in 1888. It cost $25 and came pre-loaded with 100 exposures; you shoot them all, mail the camera to Kodak, and they mail it back with your developed photos and a fresh roll of film. That camera was about $620 in today's money, but at the equivalent of $6.20 a picture that was a loving steal. "Snapshots" simply didn't exist until then.

It got even crazier with the Brownie, since it only cost $1 (about $25-30 in modern money at the time of release) and could be loaded and unloaded by hand. You could buy as many rolls of film as you wanted and shoot them all at your leisure, simply sending the rolls to get developed. I've got a collection of Brownies and similar cheap box cameras from the 1900s through the 1930s and they're all worlds ahead of 19th century cameras in terms of ease of use.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I have a 1917 patent Brownie and that thing still works. I shot on it back in '04 or so. Really simple, robust little machines.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Still happens, every few months somebody posts a screenshot from one of the sites that shows the tracks of flights in the TFR airpower or AI airplane threads of an airliner test flight or military training flight drawing a dick in the sky across half the US. In the military case, sometimes an SA goon was onboard, iirc.

NASA put a dick on loving Mars.

e: And, this being El Reg:

The Register posted:

We note the page allows visitors to "enlarge" the image.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I have a 1917 patent Brownie and that thing still works. I shot on it back in '04 or so. Really simple, robust little machines.

My oldest is pre-1910. I can verify its age from a website that has all the Brownie changes and what year they started, though I can't get more accurate than "This was from the original run until the 1910s". I did some shooting with it and unfortunately the roll jammed halfway through, so badly that I partially tore the cardboard casing pulling the winding key out to unstick it. The pictures came out severely light leaked but still kinda salvageable, like creepypasta photos of the Magic Kingdom.

I did some shots as well on a Kodak 50th Anniversary Hawkeye and they came out perfect. The resolution on those things with modern film is tremendously high, even though they can't handle any light lower than direct sunlight or indoor fluorescent lights.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krankenstyle posted:

That guy is cool af

That's not an empty quote.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:confused:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Rumda posted:

That dude loves him some rice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My post (that) was not an empty quote. That dude owns.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah, gotcha

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This a bit random but the other week I learned that President Teddy Roosevelt used to learn and practice Judo from a Japanese delegate who was a black belt under Maeda (who was responsible for, iirc, removing the gang stigma Judo had gotten around that era) and was also America's first brown belt (1 rank under black belt). He also apparently lost vision or something in one of his eyes from boxing sparring which he did on the weekends even as president.

This info was via Daneli Boleli on his recent JRE episode (cant recall the number) and this article

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/the-strenuous-life-theodore-roosevelts-mixed-martial-arts

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Teddy Roosevelt knowing judo is perfectly in keeping with the meme perception of him as this super manly Ultimate Badass.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I mean, don't suck the ghost of his dick too hard. He was still a bit of a racist, but a lot more suave with his wording (if not his thinking) than his contemporaries, and a big ableist that promoted eugenics that stripped "degenerates" of breeding rights. Strange, considering his childhood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Roosevelt had the advantage of being in such close proximity to Wilson, which makes him look less racist by comparison.

As far as I'm aware, eugenics was just "good science" as far as a lot of (not all, obviously) "learned" people were concerned. George Bernard Shaw was a big believer in eugenics, for instance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Well, if you're completely disregarding ethics & morality, eugenics is fairly scientific (also assuming everyone could agree on which traits were desirable and which weren't).

Super hosed up though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eugenics doesn’t work.

The Nazis murdered a hell of a lot of schizophrenic people and surprise! The rate of schizophrenia is Germany today is the same as everywhere else.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I was thinking more like breeding for short people or brown hair lol

Basically like with dogs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

McKinley had it coming.

sic semper tyrannis.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i unironically think Leon Czolgosz did nothing wrong

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also if you excuse eugenics as "good science of its day" i think a poo poo ton of non-eugenicist scientists and other not-awful people from back then gladly would have told you it was bunk even at the time

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a bit confused how "a president did judo s rad" wound up being about eugenics but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mekchu posted:

I'm a bit confused how "a president did judo s rad" wound up being about eugenics but whatever.
_______________________________/