Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Pulling stuff from PleaseHateTheseThings is probably cheating, but seriously, :wtc:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlHGwtrnw-b/?taken-by=pleasehatethesethings

So many parts of that don't make sense, even ignoring the obvious. What's that access panel for? It's at the wrong end of the bath to be useful but isn't deep enough to be storage. What could possibly be on the floor below to warrant that being the wet wall? Downstairs neighbour's kitchen? And you're really really telling me that they decided the hallway from the front door was the right place for a bath? Even ignoring the stairs?

My cynicism for photoshops says it's fake, but my cynicism for slumlords says maybe it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Where the gently caress am I supposed to put my parrots in that bathroom?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Jaded Burnout posted:

So many parts of that don't make sense, even ignoring the obvious. What's that access panel for? It's at the wrong end of the bath to be useful but isn't deep enough to be storage. What could possibly be on the floor below to warrant that being the wet wall? Downstairs neighbour's kitchen? And you're really really telling me that they decided the hallway from the front door was the right place for a bath? Even ignoring the stairs?

My cynicism for photoshops says it's fake, but my cynicism for slumlords says maybe it's real.

I can at least tell you that the panel is probably to get access to the pump mechanism for the jets, but usually they're less... obtrusive. Everything else is a big :shrug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Why bother painting when you can just buy them that way?

http://www.amerex-fire.com/products/camo-units/

Somewhere a fire protection engineer is having night terrors

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just lol if you don’t get into your bathtub like the dukes of hazzard

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Reading this thread reminded me to check our fire extinguisher tag dates... And I don't see any kind of date. :confused: we have the rechargeable sort and the pressure reads correctly. Is that all I'm looking for? My previous ones have been the one time only sort.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

Reading this thread reminded me to check our fire extinguisher tag dates... And I don't see any kind of date. :confused: we have the rechargeable sort and the pressure reads correctly. Is that all I'm looking for? My previous ones have been the one time only sort.

A quick and easy way to check if your fire extinguisher is still good is by starting a small fire in your home and testing each of your units on the resulting blaze. For best results, use a stopwatch to ensure that your extinguisher is providing the promised duration of suppressant.

please don't

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

WrenP-Complete posted:

Extinguishers aren't required in single or double family dwellings so they don't need to be inspected technically. It'll get inspected if it's ever discharged when it's refilled but as long as the seal is intact and the pressure gauge reads full you're good.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you for assuaging fire extinguisher worries.

Completely separate design (?) problem - when other people quote me in this thread my own text doesn't appear highlighted. I'm not having this problem in any other thread. Is anyone else having this issue? I'll mosey on down and tell the devs about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Extinguishers aren't required in single or double family dwellings so they don't need to be inspected technically. It'll get inspected if it's ever discharged when it's refilled but as long as the seal is intact and the pressure gauge reads full you're good.

Thanks! I’ll check that in the morning and then we won’t die of fire.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thank you for assuaging fire extinguisher worries.

Completely separate design (?) problem - when other people quote me in this thread my own text doesn't appear highlighted. I'm not having this problem in any other thread. Is anyone else having this issue? I'll mosey on down and tell the devs about it.

No it looks to be behaving for me.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks! I’ll check that in the morning and then we won’t die of fire.

Make sure it's not one of these:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it's a powder extinguisher is the advice still to shake it up once in a while?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So we have, through necessity, designed ourselves into a big question mark. Redoing our bathroom, we had to get a giant mirror (two little girls who refuse to use step stools but also have to brush their teeth right next to each other, it's a thing).

Our old one was just a contractor-grade frameless mirror, so that spot over the toilet was pretty unencumbered and we had a pretty large black-framed print there. For obvious reasons, a large black-frame print looks ridiculous there now. So we have no idea what WOULD look good.

A circle? A collage of grey frames? A small shelf? We're open to just about anything that isn't words on the wall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A couple of shelves filled with the worst trash toilet books ever penned

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's controversial, but I like artificial flowers in a bathroom. :blush: They are bright and cheerful. When they get manky looking you just throw them out and get new ones. You can even rotate in special seasonal ones for Christmas, Easter, Halloween or whatever; that can be fun with kids.

I love this kinda tacky bullshit in a bathroom. I may secretly be a 6 year old girl though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lil shelf of extra tp and/or mini cactus.

(We're a bathroom calendar family.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I built a small shelving unit when I had a bunch of open space above my toilet, and actually needed some storage for toiletries.
Since I took this photo I've also begun stacking fresh rolls of TP on top of it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
we went with the "small cabinet" option as well. I consider it polite to have extra TP and bathroom cleaner / toilet brush in an obvious spot so guests can take care of ...problems without needing to alert anyone. I also have a small scented candle on it with lighter next to it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

vonnegutt posted:

we went with the "small cabinet" option as well. I consider it polite to have extra TP and bathroom cleaner / toilet brush in an obvious spot so guests can take care of ...problems without needing to alert anyone. I also have a small scented candle on it with lighter next to it.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure on the demographics of guests that might use the bathroom from time to time but it's nice to have a bit of a variety of pads/tampons and a bin with a lid, for those caught out moments.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A bowl of snacks is a nice touch too. Nuts, chocolates , dried fruit, that sort of thing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

Our old one was just a contractor-grade frameless mirror, so that spot over the toilet was pretty unencumbered and we had a pretty large black-framed print there. For obvious reasons, a large black-frame print looks ridiculous there now. So we have no idea what WOULD look good.

A circle? A collage of grey frames? A small shelf? We're open to just about anything that isn't words on the wall.

Narrower than the top of the toilet and either centered on the mirror, or between the bottom of the mirror and the top of the light fixture. I wouldn't do a big shelf or cabinet because that could make an already tight, dark space seem more cluttered unless you're desperate form more storage. Candle-holders aren't a bad idea for bathrooms; you could get a wire one which would be light-weight visually but still fill the space.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

A bowl of snacks is a nice touch too. Nuts, chocolates , dried fruit, that sort of thing.

You've been eating potpourri

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Speaking of which, I'm not sure on the demographics of guests that might use the bathroom from time to time but it's nice to have a bit of a variety of pads/tampons and a bin with a lid, for those caught out moments.

A menstruation crustacean station? Very thoughtful

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AarPyiufwpI

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Seashells

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, you've been a big help!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

:3:

Huxley posted:

Thanks all, you've been a big help!

Really?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jaded Burnout posted:

A couple of shelves filled with the worst trash toilet books ever penned

A used book store had a shiterature section in their washroom. Filled with absolute trash books. It was amazing.

Edit:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 17, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sure!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes please thank you

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Will go great on the rocks around the sunken tub, you know...for the females.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

nielsm posted:

I built a small shelving unit when I had a bunch of open space above my toilet, and actually needed some storage for toiletries.
Since I took this photo I've also begun stacking fresh rolls of TP on top of it.

It looks really good but keeping your shaving gear above where you poop doesnt gross you out? Like, at all?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

It looks really good but keeping your shaving gear above where you poop doesnt gross you out? Like, at all?

I'll admit not even considering that a potential problem before. However there's never any splash at that height, and the things that aren't sealed I've always washed before use anyway. (Though I keep the brush by the sink now for ease of access.)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

nielsm posted:

I'll admit not even considering that a potential problem before. However there's never any splash at that height, and the things that aren't sealed I've always washed before use anyway. (Though I keep the brush by the sink now for ease of access.)

An orthodontist once claimed to me that a toilet effectively aerosolizes fecal contamination. He said you shouldn't keep anything in a bathroom you're not fine having covered with a fine layer of poop mist.

YMMV.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

An orthodontist once claimed to me that a toilet effectively aerosolizes fecal contamination. He said you shouldn't keep anything in a bathroom you're not fine having covered with a fine layer of poop mist.

YMMV.

This is also why you should shut the lid before you flush.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

YMMV.

Confirmed by mythbusters iirc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everything everywhere is contaminated with fecal bacteria. Live is revolting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everything everywhere is contaminated with fecal bacteria. Live is revolting.

Pretty much. Once you drop the illusion that you live in a remotely sterile environment, life gets more bearable IMO. The question becomes "how clean does this need to be", not "is this clean". Because nothing is clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is also why you should shut the lid before you flush.

Doesn't help unless it provides a complete seal, all just gets blown out the sides instead.