Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Has star wars fandom gotten worse or about the same

Like all the other awful poo poo in our world, it's always been far worse than most people realized, but the combination of the internet and Trump empowering stupid white trash to express their stupid white trash-ness has made the awful poo poo significantly more visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Re: fandom
Peter Coffin did a pretty decent video on cultivated identity / fandom a little while back using Star Wars as an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Lf1GcG5M4

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
A lot of nerds are really upset that the leads are a FEMALE and a BLACK GUY. Rey and fin are cute as hell. Shame the last movie was kinda meh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think they were mostly upset that Disney Stars Warred is bad. That'll happen though.

Should have made a Singing In The Rain movie franchise instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DancingShade posted:

I think they were mostly upset that Disney Stars Warred is bad. That'll happen though.

Should have made a Singing In The Rain movie franchise instead.

Nah, nerds are incredibly racist and misogynistic

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've never had people gatekeep me about watching sports or doing some hobby (though I know the sports thing happens to girls a lot).

this just tells me you don't talk to sports fans much.

any community that revolves around consuming a thing is like this, though the adults in ones originally aimed at children like Star Wars and gaming are way worse. People jockey for status and recognition in any group, but there's really no skill to master or way to be be a better consumer of someone else's property than anyone else except for buying the most toys and correcting people on the most factoids and making up and enforcing the most rules for what makes a True Fan. Made worse when it's a buncha Peter Pan motherfuckers whose personalities got stuck at age 15 when their mom would just sigh and clean up after them when they got done screaming and trashing the room because they wanted the Chewbacca doll not the Ewoks which are gay

you can be a racist gardener or model train maker or day trader or whatever, but if your tomatoes suck no amount of just being lovely will get you far

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Jul 12, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you’ve never experienced gatekeeping about music, I dunno what to tell you.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, nerds are incredibly racist and misogynistic

While absolutely true, and definitely a significant part of the outcry against the new films, there's a lot of Star Wars fans who are overenthusiastic towards the new films as well, so you get these really terrible stupid fights on the internet about it.

One thing they have in common though is that if you don't love or hate the new films (like they're fine popcorn flicks that people over-analyze to the point of loving/hating it), then you're the same as the other side. I've legit had conversations about the films turn into getting screamed at that go something like this:

Star Wars Nerd: Wait, you didn't love how good the Last Jedi's story arcs and character building was!?
Me: I mean, they aren't exactly complex. It's nice they have them, so it's competently made, but I'm not blown away by anything in it. But I was never bored and the action was pretty solid.
Other Star Wars Nerd: OH COME ON!!! POE WAS SO DUMB AND SJW HAIR WAS DUMB! REY IS A MARY SUE, AND LUKE DIED IN THE DUMBEST WAY! WHO'S EVEN SNOKE!?
Me: My favorite part of the films is how Kylo Ren is a parody of fanboys like you other nerd. Plus, isn't Luke kind of a Gary Lou?
Both: HOW DARE YOU SAY LUKE IS A GARY LOU!!!!
SWN: YOU'RE CLEARLY TOO DUMB TO GET HOW SMART THE FILM WAS AND HOW IT TOTALLY REVERSED EXPECTATIONS!
OSWN: YOU'RE CLEARLY TOO DUMB TO GET HOW STUPID THE FILM WAS AND HOW IT TOTALLY WAS AN SJW PLOT TO GENOCIDE WHITE MEN.

Clearly the ones who hate it are worse, of course. Still doesn't mean the people that love it aren't total shitheads.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think that kind of fandom is exclusive to "nerdy" things. I've never had people gatekeep me about watching sports or doing some hobby (though I know the sports thing happens to girls a lot). I think the terrible-ness is a more recent trend in the last decade as things that used to be nerdy are now mainstream, and the people who feel like Chad is taking over their once precious hobby are just prone to attacking anyone they think is an outsider.

You don't go to a lot of Sports Bars in playoff season do you.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

While absolutely true, and definitely a significant part of the outcry against the new films, there's a lot of Star Wars fans who are overenthusiastic towards the new films as well, so you get these really terrible stupid fights on the internet about it.

One thing they have in common though is that if you don't love or hate the new films (like they're fine popcorn flicks that people over-analyze to the point of loving/hating it), then you're the same as the other side. I've legit had conversations about the films turn into getting screamed at that go something like this:

Star Wars Nerd: Wait, you didn't love how good the Last Jedi's story arcs and character building was!?
Me: I mean, they aren't exactly complex. It's nice they have them, so it's competently made, but I'm not blown away by anything in it. But I was never bored and the action was pretty solid.
Other Star Wars Nerd: OH COME ON!!! POE WAS SO DUMB AND SJW HAIR WAS DUMB! REY IS A MARY SUE, AND LUKE DIED IN THE DUMBEST WAY! WHO'S EVEN SNOKE!?
Me: My favorite part of the films is how Kylo Ren is a parody of fanboys like you other nerd. Plus, isn't Luke kind of a Gary Lou?
SWN: YOU'RE CLEARLY TOO DUMB TO GET HOW SMART THE FILM WAS AND HOW IT TOTALLY REVERSED EXPECTATIONS!
OSWN: YOU'RE CLEARLY TOO DUMB TO GET HOW STUPID THE FILM WAS AND HOW IT TOTALLY WAS AN SJW PLOT TO GENOCIDE WHITE MEN.

Clearly the ones who hate it are worse, of course. Still doesn't mean the people that love it aren't total shitheads.

Excuse me, but it's Gary Stu.

GOD.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

You don't go to a lot of Sports Bars in playoff season do you.

You're probably right, and it's probably because I don't claim to be a sports fan. I live in Kansas City and the whole "CHIEFS KINGDOM!!!" thing is huge, and when I tell people I don't really watch football they still want me to come over and watch the game or whatever.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why do you love Obama so much?

"I don't because like I said I am literally a communist you idiot!" :3

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/piers-morgan-clashes-with-trump-protester-in-fiery-debate

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Thanks for taking Piers Morgan back, Britain.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Piers Morgan grabs his heart, as if he has been shot, and collapses on the ground. Aides rush between him and Ash Sarkar. "How could you?" "Someone call an ambulance!" "Wait, he's moving." They circle Piers on the ground as one knees over him. "What is it Piers, what do you have to say?" Piers, shaking and weak, reaches into his suit pocket and pulls out a crumpled paper. He unfolds it and hands it to the aid, "H-h-have you seen... this drawing... of me eating the President's rear end?" He exhales and goes limp.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Calm down, they're just movies

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Improbable Lobster posted:

Calm down, they're just movies

Not if you only define yourself by the media you consume.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Sacha Baron Cohen's movie got Roy Moore too: https://splinternews.com/roy-moore-joins-sarah-palin-on-growing-list-of-bad-peop-1827555060

This pedophilic motherfucker issued an official "I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing" press release.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

ekuNNN posted:

Why do you love Obama so much?

"I don't because like I said I am literally a communist you idiot!" :3

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/piers-morgan-clashes-with-trump-protester-in-fiery-debate

She can seize my means any day

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

JcDent posted:

We already have Jewish space technology, we only need their magic to make Moishehammer 40K.
Forget the promise of your son ever calling, for in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Holy poo poo borat guy is collecting chuds like Pokemon he fukkin got ARPAIO!

https://t.co/8W6RFBOERV https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1017601200408203265?s=17

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Holy poo poo borat guy is collecting chuds like Pokemon he fukkin got ARPAIO!

https://t.co/8W6RFBOERV https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1017601200408203265?s=17

dis_gon_b_gud.jpeg

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Bahaha dumbass signed a contract, doesn't read it, gets mad he's bound to a contract. loving brainwormed chuds, man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol

https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/1017485864375480320

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I hate this man more and more everyone I see his lovely tweets. Maybe don't be such an rear end in a top hat and people would want to date you. Also don't blow millions of dollars on a loving bus to advertise a lovely game.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

why is it so hard for men to not sexually harass women?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

gently caress 'the chase' as a concept.

I have one ex who broke up with me out of the blue as a way of trying to initiate 'the chase' after we'd already been together for a month or two.

When I just accepted her decision she got real mad and when she tried to re-initiate contact a year later she was still mad about it.

Anyone who expresses a desire to have 'the chase' be part of their relationships has some worrying metaphors about how relationships work.

Somfin has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Jul 13, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zil posted:

I hate this man more and more everyone I see his lovely tweets. Maybe don't be such an rear end in a top hat and people would want to date you. Also don't blow millions of dollars on a loving bus to advertise a lovely game.

https://twitter.com/JordanPDunsmore/status/1017646081427927040

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Somfin posted:

gently caress 'the chase' as a concept.

I have one ex who broke up with me out of the blue as a way of trying to initiate 'the chase' after we'd already been together for a month or two.

one of my friends broke up with her boyfriend of around 3-4 years, moved across the country and then had a major depressive episode because he...didn't follow her.

like what were you expecting

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sorry ladies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Phlegmatist posted:

one of my friends broke up with her boyfriend of around 3-4 years, moved across the country and then had a major depressive episode because he...didn't follow her.

like what were you expecting

Traditional gender roles and romantic expectations are basically a total dumpster fire and probably one of the biggest things responsible for people being maladjusted towards the opposite sex.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Verisimilidude posted:

why is it so hard for men to not sexually harass women?

Some of us are really, really dense, got told that we deserve to have someone in the end, and spent teenage years playing vidja instead of maturing.

Uh, talking about a friend.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CheesyDog posted:

sorry ladies

ian miles "tails" cheong in 20 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JcDent posted:

Some of us are really, really dense, got told that we deserve to have someone in the end, and spent teenage years playing vidja instead of maturing.

I mean goddamn, my own mother watching Forrest Gump told me I need to find a girlfriend like his who basically takes care of his adult activities for him. (and aren't they only actually together for like a few months total before she dies of AIDS and he has to take care of himself and their son?)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

JcDent posted:

same lol

I'm sure most dudes have probably had a situation where they acted like a creep or an rear end in a top hat with varying levels of severity (i definitely have), but you learn from your experiences, admit you did wrong, try and make amends and do your best to be better in the future.

for all this JBP "clean your room, be better" rhetoric, no one is actually talking about being a more empathetic person. it's very nihilistic and selfish, really. Do good by yourself and don't ever be introspective or empathetic towards others, because all of their problems are theirs alone, even if you directly caused them.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DLC Inc posted:

ian miles "tails" cheong in 20 years

Nah, Cheong already looks way worse than this. At least this dude is clean-shaven.

Verisimilidude posted:

for all this JBP "clean your room, be better" rhetoric, no one is actually talking about being a more empathetic person. it's very nihilistic and selfish, really. Do good by yourself and don't ever be introspective or empathetic towards others, because all of their problems are theirs alone, even if you directly caused them.

It's not even "clean your room" as a step 1 to self-improvement, but a metaphorical "clean your room" as a step 1 to telling society how you're right and they're wrong.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm sure most dudes have probably had a situation where they acted like a creep or an rear end in a top hat with varying levels of severity (i definitely have), but you learn from your experiences, admit you did wrong, try and make amends and do your best to be better in the future.

It helps that I had cool friends who always called me out on poo poo.

And yeah, Forest and Jenny probably aren't a model relationship.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

comrade woodchucks

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Was his car made of wood or something?