Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I also don't remember him being in a limo; I've only done 3 or 4 watches of the series but I always took the limo line as "it's not going to happen" since he doesn't have a limo. It's a very Hank joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gaunab posted:

THE LAST EPISODE WAS ABOUT KAHN BEING MANIC DEPRESSIVE

Sadness covers me like a blanket. Tuck me in let me die is a great line and I won't hear otherwise

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I seem to remember you actually see him behind the wheel of one in an episode or two

He was working under cover.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Skrill.exe posted:

He was working under cover.

Possible

There’s at least one scene where Boomhuaer answers a car phone. He’s wearing a suit and driving a limo or a town car. I know I’m not making this up

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't recall that

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

There are multiple episodes, including the really early one with the Snipe Hunt, where we see Boomhaur interacting with other police, and he's always upfront about everything and they let him do stuff like talk through the megaphone when Dale is up in the bell tower. The Texas Ranger reveal always seemed really well set up to me.

Also, the episode with Boomhaur's brother is great, where we see Hank ask bluntly if he's lying, Boomhaur straight-up says no, and that's all Hank needs. I always thought that was a touching example of friendship.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well time for a group watch then, that's the only way we'll ever figure this out. S1E1 tonight.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

pixaal posted:

Well time for a group watch then, that's the only way we'll ever figure this out. S1E1 tonight.

KOTH-athon '18: The Secret Policeman's Boomhaur.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Also, the episode with Boomhaur's brother is great, where we see Hank ask bluntly if he's lying, Boomhaur straight-up says no, and that's all Hank needs. I always thought that was a touching example of friendship.

I wish Hank and Boomhaur had more on screen one on one time. They never seem to hang out with each other.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I’m rewatching the series, and for the first time I’m noticing a hard line where things start to get iffy.

Season 12.

There are some good episodes, but you’ve got a lot of episodes about lovely social messages, usually brought about by an interloping straw man.

Bobby Rae: What if Bobby takes up protesting to impress a girl?

The Powder Puff Boys: The PTA president resents being a stay at home mom, so she kills comedy by stopping the boys from cheerleading.

Raise the Steaks: Hank joins a food co-op and teaches hippies how to run a business, who then turn around, get greedy, and sell the store to Mega-Lo-Mart.

Tears of an Inflatable Clown: A diversity expert tries to justify his job by stoking racial animus in the school’s committee to run a carnival.

Behind Closed Doors: A family guru who will do anything to sell a book uses Dooley’s disappearance to make a buck, driving Peggy insane in the process.

Trans-Fascism: Big government runs amok and bans trans-fats, but the liberals smugly eat the bad food themselves revealing that they know better than people like Bill.

The Accidental Terrorist: Hank gets angry at his car salesman, and accidentally works with some college students who turn out to be eco terrorists who blow up the car lot.

“Common sense versus outsiders who think they’re forward thinking but are actually terrible” is a theme from the beginning, but season 12 features that same plot at a density that displaces good, character-based episodes.

I almost put “Lady and Gentrification” on the list, but while that is about a social problem (Peggy gentrifies Enrique’s neighborhood by selling cheap houses to hipsters wanting to live somewhere “real”) it casts Peggy and the real estate industry as villains, not a one-off character. And I’m not personally bothered by something that skewers gentrification, so...

That is my essay on why season 12 is very bad while the rest is mostly very good.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

There are multiple episodes, including the really early one with the Snipe Hunt, where we see Boomhaur interacting with other police, and he's always upfront about everything and they let him do stuff like talk through the megaphone when Dale is up in the bell tower. The Texas Ranger reveal always seemed really well set up to me.

the joke in the snipe hunt episode and the firefighter episode is that Boomhauer just straight up says what happens but no one can understand him, not that he's the police

and they only let Boomhauer talk through the megaphone because he was reading from a script

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Accidental Terrorist: Hank gets angry at his car salesman, and accidentally works with some college students who turn out to be eco terrorists who blow up the car lot.

Hank is naive about how car sales works.

But in the episode where his truck dies and he buys a new truck, he tells Bobby to act like he hates the new truck when they talk to the salesman

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Ein cooler Typ posted:

But in the episode where his truck dies and he buys a new truck, he tells Bobby to act like he hates the new truck when they talk to the salesman

That's how you work your way down to sticker price.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

hank acts like a sucker because he trusts tom hammond. but he doesn't trust the huckster at world o' trucks

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I've been powering through the series and while there's always a few episodes here and there that are not so good, I think there's a pretty noticeable decrease in quality around season 6/7. Like for instance the episode where Bobby makes meth. What the gently caress was up with that?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

sticker price

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Song For The Deaf posted:

Tears of an Inflatable Clown: A diversity expert tries to justify his job by stoking racial animus in the school’s committee to run a carnival.

That’s my vote for worst episode of the series. Diversity guy was probably the worst and least funny of the straw men mentioned, which is saying a lot. The A-plot is Bobby deciding he really, really needs to throw a school carnival. And diversity guy is stopping it because he needs the kids to be more racist. It’s just bizarre and I think they forgot to write jokes.

The B-plot is just a retread of that scene from the episode where Dale thinks he has rabies and Hank, Bill, and Boomhauer try to take him to the hospital. They just swap Dale for Lucky and make it last 20x longer.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
my least favorite is the ZZ Top episode

I also hate Ms. Wakefield

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like the ZZ top one simply because you see bobby spinning around on a guitar

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

my least favorite is the ZZ Top episode

I also hate Ms. Wakefield

Monster

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Ms. Wakefield is a divisive character the same way Peggy is. She tests your tolerance and sympathy, that's good rear end writing and acting. Maybe my favorite one-off character.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I hate the episode I don't hate the character

it's f*cked up how the whole neighborhood turns against Hank

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
After Cotton dies there are a lot more bad episodes. At least that's where I draw the line.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Same thing with the kid Bully episode.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gaunab posted:

After Cotton dies there are a lot more bad episodes. At least that's where I draw the line.

Cotton is the protagonist of the show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Not wanting an old lady die in your home is a perfectly reasonable thing. Just weird that everyone was on her side.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Not wanting an old lady die in your home is a perfectly reasonable thing. Just weird that everyone was on her side.

Super wierd. #hankdidnothingwrong

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Cotton is the protagonist of the show.

He got the awesome, pitch-perfect death scene Abraham Simpson is cursed to never have.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The kid bully and his lovely saying is bar none the worst episode outside of any manger babies episodes.

Just watched the one that starts with Hank obsessing over a boy band and it's so great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yeah the neighbors were the real villains

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Whatley posted:

The kid bully and his lovely saying is bar none the worst episode outside of any manger babies episodes.

Just watched the one that starts with Hank obsessing over a boy band and it's so great.

dang internet...don't care whose life they ruin

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

kickin' it in heeeeaaaaaven♪ Hey that's Todd!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gaunab posted:

kickin' it in heeeeaaaaaven♪ Hey that's Todd!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tim Whatley posted:

yea the only episodes that really stand out to me as stinkers are Hank's Bully, the canadian neighbors episode, tears of an inflatable clown, and then maybe the one where bobby goes to clown college.

as for great episodes after cotton dies, the one where they have to flush cotton's ashes in the crapper is :discourse:

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Gaunab posted:

He killed fitty episodes.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

yea the only episodes that really stand out to me as stinkers are Hank's Bully, the canadian neighbors episode, tears of an inflatable clown, and then maybe the one where bobby goes to clown college.

as for great episodes after cotton dies, the one where they have to flush cotton's ashes in the crapper is :discourse:

I love the clown college one because the professor is such a fuckin weirdo. The Canadian one is so strange. Literal lawnmower war.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am Tartouffe, the spry wonder dog

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

"To the miniatures!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It happens a little in the Halloween episode for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Huh. A Chubb Randolph production.