Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Another hundred people is an amazing song. I’d be jealous I don’t sing that one but Marta is a terrible person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Social skills in d&d are horrible and rolling for them is even worse . Let alone crit success which I don't think is even the right rule!

what you do is, ask for the social skill, roll yourself behind the gm barrier, sit there, go hmm, and ignore the fuckin roll and do what you want

if they see the crit, you hosed up

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tickets next to his best buds Sicilian Sal and Brooklyn Tony?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Terry v Ohio was in 1968. Do I give internet vibes that I'm over 60? :(

Was it pre-Whren? (Which said pretextual traffic stops are good to go)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ActusRhesus posted:

Another hundred people is an amazing song. I’d be jealous I don’t sing that one but Marta is a terrible person.

This is essentially how I feel about all of Sunday in the Park with George. I've had Color and Light on repeat today.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Whitlam posted:

This is essentially how I feel about all of Sunday in the Park with George. I've had Color and Light on repeat today.

Finishing the Hat was my college experience.

Putting it Together is my current job.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
200K on nationals tickets is so much worse than hookers and blow

ActusRhesus posted:

I wonder if SV ever got out of the hinterlands.

you son of a bitch

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lote posted:

Tickets next to his best buds Sicilian Sal and Brooklyn Tony?

I mean, presumably you don't get appointed to the Supreme court without greasing a few palms/dicks.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what you do is, ask for the social skill, roll yourself behind the gm barrier, sit there, go hmm, and ignore the fuckin roll and do what you want

if they see the crit, you hosed up

A gm is basically a administrative hearings officer when you think about it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Social skills in d&d are horrible and rolling for them is even worse . Let alone crit success which I don't think is even the right rule!

It absolutely isn't and also bards are a disease.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
goddamn you all...now I've been singing another hundred people nonstop.

again though... playing marta would make me want to stab myself. she's everything I hate about hipsters.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

200K on nationals tickets is so much worse than hookers and blow

you son of a bitch

love you too, pookie.

Did ya get into Josie's pants finally?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Career prosecutor and criminal judge in this Strzok hearing is conflating juror bias with investigator/prosecutor bias. As if most cops or prosecutors don’t assume the subject or defendant is guilty.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Career prosecutor and criminal judge in this Strzok hearing is conflating juror bias with investigator/prosecutor bias. As if most cops or prosecutors don’t assume the subject or defendant is guilty.

*facepalm*

If you aren’t convinced (especially given your access to all the evidence that can’t or won’t come in at trial) that the defendant is guilty... maybe don’t arrest or prosecute? Idk. Just a thought.

Seriously though. If I can’t get myself beyond reasonable doubt, why the gently caress would I ask it of a jury. “Hey guys. I dunno if this guy is guilty. But convict him anyway” said no ethical prosecutor ever.

Used to see that in the navy where commanding officers would throw sexual assault cases that were obvious bullshit to an article 32 hearing (think HPC) so that when congress came screaming about how they were soft on sex assault they could say “hey! *I* sent it to a 32. Not my fault the 32 officer found no reasonable basis to go forward.” Meanwhile the defendant gets to stress out worrying/have his reputation damaged/career put on hold while the politics play out. Luckily the command I advised was a bunch of spec war guys who had the balls to just say “there was no evidence. Piss off.”

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I had a prosecutor basically admit that he thought it was possible my client was innocent. He got a guilty because my client had to testify and my clients terrible felony record came in. Fuuuuck you.
I've also had multiple prosecutors say "I guess that was the right result" after NGs. Then why did we just go to all this trouble? Oh because they were baby DAs and being pressured to take anything to trial.

Oh and we were actively and officially discouraged from reporting prosecutors to the bar.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The argument seems to be that there wouldn’t be an investigation or it wouldn’t have started so soon if they didn’t think Trump was shady as gently caress.

Like Al Capone was just a random audit.

But public defenders everywhere can rejoice at the impending 5-4 ruling that cops can no longer investigate people they don’t like.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

The argument seems to be that there wouldn’t be an investigation or it wouldn’t have started so soon if they didn’t think Trump was shady as gently caress.

Like Al Capone was just a random audit.

But public defenders everywhere can rejoice at the impending 5-4 ruling that cops can no longer investigate people they don’t like.

lol if you think that will ever apply to indigent people.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

nm posted:

I had a prosecutor basically admit that he thought it was possible my client was innocent.

Ah, but was it a reasonable doubt or greater possibility of innocence or, more technically, was there sufficient evidence to sustain a conviction?

quote:

I've also had multiple prosecutors say "I guess that was the right result" after NGs. Then why did we just go to all this trouble? Oh because they were baby DAs and being pressured to take anything to trial.

Oh and we were actively and officially discouraged from reporting prosecutors to the bar.

:eng101: No you see the fact finder always arrives at the right result so they were really just observing we live in the greatest of possible legal worlds.

But seriously, these do not sound like they would be actionable bar complaints without more. You’re at the difference between legal ethics and ethical ethics.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Maybe not, but the found on the record Brady violation the judge found on the record (and didn't report despite being the only mandatory reporter in the room because California doesn't force lawyers to snitch) would have been.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

SlothBear posted:

lol if you think that will ever apply to indigent people.

At least the world can dream of the savage amicus briefs quoting clone justice Roobert Boork to himself 20 years down the line. For :decorum:’s sake.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I dismissed an "unsafe lane change" once because I didn't think the lane change was really all that unsafe.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ugh. The more you talk about CA the more I go wtf? Stop making us look bad west coast. Closest I’ve ever had to that sentiment is “well poo poo. Shame the jury couldn’t hear about the 3 other people he stabbed. And sucks the one person willing to testify was a DEA snitch with a record. But hey. Burden’s on us. That’s the system. Better ten guilty walk and all that.”

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I dismissed an "unsafe lane change" once because I didn't think the lane change was really all that unsafe.

You’re doing god’s work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Ugh. The more you talk about CA the more I go wtf? Stop making us look bad west coast. Closest I’ve ever had to that sentiment is “well poo poo. Shame the jury couldn’t hear about the 3 other people he stabbed. And sucks the one person willing to testify was a DEA snitch with a record. But hey. Burden’s on us. That’s the system. Better ten guilty walk and all that.”

We've got some real bad prosecutors out here, for whatever reason.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

We must always remember that every Californian is just one generation away from Reaganism.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Are your DAs elected?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Are your DAs elected?

Yep. I'm not part of that field of law so almost everything I hear is through the news, but it seems like all of the offices further than 25 miles from the coast are run like something you'd expect to see in Alabama.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

If you've not heard of the many, many things fundamentally screwed up with CA law systems and incentives, here's a nice sip from the firehose.

It would be nice if we had a state that wasn't awful.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep. I'm not part of that field of law so almost everything I hear is through the news, but it seems like all of the offices further than 25 miles from the coast are run like something you'd expect to see in Alabama.

And yup. Therein lies the problem. We already have an adversarial system. Sure. But with an elected official their whole job begins with “beating” someone else in an election. Once you start seeing your job as “beating your opponent” it makes it a lot easier to start embracing ends justify the means approaches that can quickly become fast and loose approaches to ethics. It becomes less about facilitating justice and more about “winning” which is the wrong attitude. Prosecutors job is to either work out a disposition that’s fair (especially if the defendant has rehabilitative potential...we give a lot of alternative resolution and diversionary programs. A first time non-violent will very rarely see jail) or get all the admissible evidence in front of the jury in a way that makes sense/protect the record for appellate review.

I’ve said this before. But keep politicians the gently caress out of my courtroom.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Pretty blunt opening paragraph from the most recent Mueller indictment:

https://www.justice.gov/file/1080281/download

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

A+ trolling dropping this a couple days before the Putin meeting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It also has notes in it about how they communicated with presumably roger stone and some GoP candidate from florida.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

It also has notes in it about how they communicated with presumably roger stone and some GoP candidate from florida.

Matt Goetz, hope hope hope

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is bad news....

for Jeb!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ron Desantis is who I'm seeing named in the Trump thread.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Our country is such a shitshow.

In other news. I should not be enjoying the preparation of this cross examination nearly as much as I am.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Whelp. Just had to confirm that I do in fact wish to remain a member of my union. Glad to see our rep follows SCOTUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

They can't decide, the list of plausible options is too long.

Yeah, turns out there was a whole lot of Guccifer 2.0 info about the Florida house: some candidates (DeSantis) benefitted from hacked voter modeling data but the indictment seems to refer to someone else.

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 13, 2018