Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Verisimilidude posted:

99% of games from before the Xbox 360/PS3 era are borderline unplayable

which is fine because the really good games stand out as timeless classics

I feel this way much more strongly about Xbox/PS2/Other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the king's field series is one of the best RPGs ever made and someone needs to make a modernized version of it

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Verisimilidude posted:

the king's field series is one of the best RPGs ever made and someone needs to make a modernized version of it

Did you ever play Shadow tower Abyss on PS2? It has a fan patch and everything and feels extremely King's Fieldish.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Twelve Batmans posted:

Did you ever play Shadow tower Abyss on PS2? It has a fan patch and everything and feels extremely King's Fieldish.

I haven't, but I do have a PS2! How would I get the fan patch? PC?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Verisimilidude posted:

I haven't, but I do have a PS2! How would I get the fan patch? PC?

You'd probably have to use a ps2 emulator or use McBoot + ELF to burn/play it on your ps2.

Otherwise you can emulate it. Doing a wee bit of searching should net you the translation patch too which- if I recall correctly- was a simple program you ran and targeted to the ISO. Was an interesting experience for someone like me who never even knew the game existed until a couple of years ago.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Twelve Batmans posted:

You'd probably have to use a ps2 emulator or use McBoot + ELF to burn/play it on your ps2.

Otherwise you can emulate it. Doing a wee bit of searching should net you the translation patch too which- if I recall correctly- was a simple program you ran and targeted to the ISO. Was an interesting experience for someone like me who never even knew the game existed until a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I had to install translation patches for the Outbreak games and it should be as simple as clicking an exe and pointing it towards the iso. Like no hassle

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Harrow posted:

Oh yes it did. I don't really like going back and replaying the original DKC anymore because it makes me feel like I am very bad at video games

Old games likes these that i never completed on console were a lot more fun to play when i came back to them on emulator and just abused the gently caress outta save states

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Harrow posted:

Oh yes it did. I don't really like going back and replaying the original DKC anymore because it makes me feel like I am very bad at video games

the only good dkc game for the snes was 2

1 was full of weird bullshit and 3 just jams too much stupid poo poo in there AND has one of the worst characters AND they hosed up how the bees look

donkey kong land for the og game boy was better than donkey kong country, and the hook was great. you'd just beaten king k rool after the first game and cranky kong is like "so what, bitches, we used to have to get all our bananas in 8 bits" and basically steals the family banana hoard all over again and bribes k rool to come back and make you do all that poo poo over again on the game boy, just to put those whippersnappers DK and diddy in their place. plus you start right at k rools pirate ship (since you JUST beat DKC) and work backwards through the levels/world.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Verisimilidude posted:

99% of games from before the Xbox 360/PS3 era are borderline unplayable

which is fine because the really good games stand out as timeless classics

People are gonna be saying the exact same thing about the boring rear end third person shooters everyones slobbering over these days in 15 years.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Playing Donkey Kong Land on an original fat GameBoy was a struggle

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

People are gonna be saying the exact same thing about the boring rear end third person shooters everyones slobbering over these days in 15 years.

Blame Re4 (a game over a decade old) for that.

Unpopular opinion- nothing is really that amazing about RE4. 5 is mechanically better and Jill (in 3) is a cooler protag. 4 feels like half a resident evil and half a metal gear solid and if you're not autistic or don't like Tetris then the inventory-case mechanic is a chore and after 50 different HD tweaks of the game they couldn't add in a way to stomp on downed zombies- which was present in the earlier Resident Evils and returned in 5.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Twelve Batmans posted:

Unpopular opinion- nothing is really that amazing about RE4. 5 is mechanically better and Jill (in 3) is a cooler protag. 4 feels like half a resident evil and half a metal gear solid and if you're not autistic or don't like Tetris then the inventory-case mechanic is a chore and after 50 different HD tweaks of the game they couldn't add in a way to stomp on downed zombies- which was present in the earlier Resident Evils and returned in 5.

Only good part in 5 was stunning your coop partner with the stun baton other than that game sucks rear end

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

site posted:

Old games likes these that i never completed on console were a lot more fun to play when i came back to them on emulator and just abused the gently caress outta save states

I was playing Vectorman yesterday, and was pissed at how dumb the mandatory bonus level was between level 1 and 2.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IDONTPOST posted:

Only good part in 5 was stunning your coop partner with the stun baton other than that game sucks rear end

:wrong: fucker.

The best part of RE5 is letting your friend who reads much slower than you start reading some lore you found on a desk or whatever, and then once they get to page 10/20 you throw a grenade near them to knock them down and out of the text so they have to open it up again and d-pad manually over to the page they were on.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Deus Ex might not hold up mechanically but I still haven't seen many games pull off the choice mechanic as organically (heh) as it did. Maybe it's bad game design to not tell the player about all of their options, but it certainly led to interesting discoveries of what was possible in the story.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 12, 2018

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

I’ve recently started Dues Ex for the first time and it’s bad but the modern ones are far worse.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

IDONTPOST posted:

Theres also Wesker Asking For Egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMREoitX9pE

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

IDONTPOST posted:

I’ve recently started Dues Ex for the first time and it’s bad but the modern ones are far worse.

The new ones are a lot more blatant about the Stealth vs Shooter dichotomy. When you're blasting your way through some mission and you look over and there's the network of man-sized vents you'd be using if you were going for a no-kill, it's a little cheap-seeming.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Twelve Batmans posted:

On this note, all the action RE's are bad. I'm glad people can enjoy them for the spectacle, but I've always wanted to see the spooky re4 and what that would have been like.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

On this note, all the action RE's are bad.

No.

Also RE5 Mercenaries is legitly one of the best pve co-op experiences to exist in anything ever.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Twelve Batmans posted:

No.

Also RE5 Mercenaries is legitly one of the best pve co-op experiences to exist in anything ever.

I dont know who the roided out monster is but that's not my husbando :colbert:

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

In RE5 I got a really broken unlimited ammo chaingun my coop partner got a bad bow and arrow, gently caress the patriarchy

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I dont know who the roided out monster is but that's not my husbando :colbert:

Look they basically gave him a little twink version of his younger self in Piers. You gotta let go of the old and embrace the reality that is Chris Bulkfield.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think it's fun that the Resident Evil characters get last names

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Verisimilidude posted:

Dark souls 2 is literally kings field

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

There is a poo poo on of Kings Field clones on Steam. Dungeons and Darkness is one example.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Square-Enix loving suck at making the FF series. FF10 was the last half decent game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

IDONTPOST posted:

In RE5 I got a really broken unlimited ammo chaingun my coop partner got a bad bow and arrow, gently caress the patriarchy

Wtf you mean "bad" the bow and arrow could one shot almost every enemy in the game

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SpazmasterX posted:

Wtf you mean "bad" the bow and arrow could one shot almost every enemy in the game

And had no reticule so you had to know the arc/drop of the arrow.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Twelve Batmans posted:

And had no reticule so you had to know the arc/drop of the arrow.

Wasn't hard to learn with the slow enemies at the start and unlimited ammo

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

SpazmasterX posted:

Maybe my coop partner sucked but either way compared to the chain gun it was poo poo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Square-Enix loving suck at making the FF series. FF10 was the last half decent game.

This is the unpopular opinions thread.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
FFXI is actually a fantastic and fun almost-single player FF game... now.

Was loving painful and ridiculously tedious to get anything done before. Since the team got cut it's had a nice steady stream of monthly content and summonable buddies make 99% of the content doable with 1-3 people.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is the unpopular opinions thread.

Final Fantasy 4 is overrated. Ocarina of time sucked.

Splinter cell games were utter wank. Wind waker is the best Zelda game after link to the past.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is a poo poo on of Kings Field clones on Steam. Dungeons and Darkness is one example.

yo why have i never heard of these, kings field: TAC is awesome as hell and i've always wanted more of that kind of experience

TheScott2K posted:

Playing Donkey Kong Land on an original fat GameBoy was a struggle

eh i didn't think it was more of a struggle than most of the other games on the system - it looked like total dogshit if you had the misfortune to play it on a Game Boy Pocket, though. to this day i'll never understand why nintendo released "the same game boy except worse in every possible way but size".

i actually have a pet theory that people that complained about the OG gameboy screen just ran the batteries into the ground and kept cranking the contrast up to compensate - it got really really weird when the voltage started to dip but with fresh batteries the screen was honestly very impressive for the mid 80s

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t know if this is actually unpopular, but it’s very prolific. The thing games do where your stealthing a base and guys run off to blow a horn/ring and get more enemies needs to be loving eradicated. I can’t think of something I hate more in games and it’s like every open world game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Twelve Batmans posted:

I feel Capcom is missing out on a pile of money by not making a F2P version of RE Mercenaries and putting it on Steam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t know if this is actually unpopular, but it’s very prolific. The thing games do where your stealthing a base and guys run off to blow a horn/ring and get more enemies needs to be loving eradicated. I can’t think of something I hate more in games and it’s like every open world game.

What if you can find the thing they use to call more enemies and either disable it or sabotage it? Like I think in AC Origins you can rig their "call for help" beacons to explode when they try to light them and it's pretty funny.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Vakal posted:

I feel Capcom is missing out on a pile of money by not making a F2P version of RE Mercenaries and putting it on Steam.

That's how I feel about Mass Effect 3's horde multiplayer mode.

Also, unpopular (?) opinion: Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was the best part of ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

What if you can find the thing they use to call more enemies and either disable it or sabotage it? Like I think in AC Origins you can rig their "call for help" beacons to explode when they try to light them and it's pretty funny.

Black Flag and its direct to video sequel Rogue had a thing where you could sabotage the bells that guards would use to summon other guards on plantations. It worked well.