Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Batman versus Superman: dawn of just ice spoilers

When confronting batman for the second time, when Batman has the krypto spear, why does superman know his real name? He says something like "Bruce! Please! I was wrong! Luthor wants us to fight' or whatever. When did he learn his name?

Why did I watch this a second time is the real IIMM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Extended edition is the usual answer to BvS iimms. But there's a point early on where it becomes clear that Bruce and Clark know each others' secret identities, as Lex Luthor also knows both of them. (and basically introduces them to teach other knowing this) Usual answer: Superman has X-Ray vision, Batman is the world's greatest detective.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Back to the Future.

Not the story or anything, just the bad compositing during the time machine test which leads to Marty standing in a trail of fire.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I love Starship Troopers and I get the Klendathu massacre was meant to show the hubris of the war-mongering humans but it always irritated me how ineffective their weapons are against the bugs. It takes so many rounds to stop just one bug, I think there's a part where it takes 4 marines to down just one of them.

At the start of the movie they are dissecting bugs in high school and there's a news clip where Doogie Howser shows you how to kill one so you'd think they'd have more effective guns.

Also, nuke 'em from orbit - don't send dudes down to the surface. It's the only way to be sure.

Fake edit: Now that I think about it as well, since the thread has already mentioned that bug planets appear to be wastelands and the only reason the humans are at war is to kill 'em all, why don't they just blow up the planet or something?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Blow up the planet? And destroy all that sweet sweet space oil AmericaEarth needs?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gotta show your heroic troops cleansing the galaxy of the bug menace to justify your draconian government.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nexus6 posted:

I love Starship Troopers and I get the Klendathu massacre was meant to show the hubris of the war-mongering humans but it always irritated me how ineffective their weapons are against the bugs. It takes so many rounds to stop just one bug, I think there's a part where it takes 4 marines to down just one of them.

At the start of the movie they are dissecting bugs in high school and there's a news clip where Doogie Howser shows you how to kill one so you'd think they'd have more effective guns.

Also, nuke 'em from orbit - don't send dudes down to the surface. It's the only way to be sure.

Fake edit: Now that I think about it as well, since the thread has already mentioned that bug planets appear to be wastelands and the only reason the humans are at war is to kill 'em all, why don't they just blow up the planet or something?

The military intentionally gave the infantry lovely weapons IMO. Justifies asking for more money and recruitment.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Banana Canada posted:

:thunk:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Didn't these very forums crowdfund body armor for real life soldiers who had been deployed without it? That's the kind of thing I think about when people complain about army efficiency in movies.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
TV IIM: I'm watching the first seasons of Modern Family with my girlfriend and while the show's kind of poo poo overall, the most irritating thing for me is that they insist on using this Office-style fake documentary framing device but didn't put any thought into it. It's (mostly) filmed with a steady cam, but it's edited in a way that shouldn't be possible. Once in a blue moon a character will look at the camera, but otherwise nobody ever mentions a film crew (new or temporary characters, for example). There are talking heads segments "comically" edited into scenes, but the way the characters talk makes it seem like the segments were recorded right then and there, with the characters having no knowledge of what happens right after the cut, even though the segment would have been recorded at the end of the day or whatever.

Edit:

Zaphod42 posted:

They shift gears. Don't you know cars can always shift gears to go faster? Shifting gears is like NOS basically.

Same with having a sports car racing and a big truck chasing them and they continue the race for more than 2 seconds, where realistically one car should completely pull away from the other.
I've also been on a Fast/Furious binge in the past months and while I accept that the series became less "car culture" and more "vehicle-based superhero movie", there's one move they do in (almost?) all 8 movies where one of the good guys is being followed, pulls a 180 and starts driving in reverse but still at the same speed and I'm like "geez guys how many reverse gears does this car have?".

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jul 12, 2018

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It's not live.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was there ever a show done in that faux-documentary style where they acknowledged the "film crew" at all, or one of them reacts to something happening or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

US version of The Office. There was a gimmick episode about the crew.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CordlessPen posted:

There are talking heads segments "comically" edited into scenes, but the way the characters talk makes it seem like the segments were recorded right then and there, with the characters having no knowledge of what happens right after the cut, even though the segment would have been recorded at the end of the day or whatever.

This is just the modern way of doing asides and showing inner thoughts to the audience, rather than pausing the scene and having a voice over or something like that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

i just wish everyone loved idiocracy as much as i do.

It should have been a better movie then.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Schubalts posted:

The Starship Troopers cartoon showed more varied environments (like actual oceans and island chains), but presumably the bugs ate everything and send colony ships out to strip new planets.

Like Warhammer's Tyranids. Except the Tyranids also eat the planet itself.

That series was so great.

Final episode they are flying up to the bug home-world and--!!!

Cancelled.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Decrepus posted:

It's not live.

That... really doesn't change anything. If it were a documentary, they still would have only one take, so you can't show two camera angles at 180 degrees from each other because each camera would be filming the other. You also can't show a camera angle from a locked room or a place that's very hard to reach.

RBA Starblade posted:

Was there ever a show done in that faux-documentary style where they acknowledged the "film crew" at all, or one of them reacts to something happening or something?

Original UK office had the janitor (who was Stephen Merchant's dad, I think?) stare at the camera, you could sometimes hear the crew asking questions, characters who were less used to the show stared at the camera more often (like the team building exercise guy). It wasn't perfect, but they put in effort to make it an actual framing device.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jul 12, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

RBA Starblade posted:

Trailer park boys does this a lot but it decreases in frequency in the later seasons.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I just watched it and it was real bad. The presence of Will Sasso playing an extremely over-the-top cliche Canadian character made the whole thing feel like a cheap MadTV episode. Broken Lizard, you're not geniuses but you're better than that, comeon.

I think Will Sasso is even actually Canadian but it was still a cartoon character.

It didn't do anything original the first movie didn't do and more than half the plot was just frustratingly waiting for things to resolve in the obvious way you knew they were going to.

And Farva in particular, I mean his character was always a dick but I feel like they cranked the dickishness up to 11 on that film, he was just completely insufferable. The group tries to avoid bringing him in, and then when he shows up they all groan and they're like "oh no, not Farva!" and its like, as the audience I feel exactly the same way, that's not a good thing guys.

Don't forget the guy getting addicted to estrogen because female orgasms are just AMAZING!! HAHAHAAAHAHAH lactating nipples and emotions?! Men don't do that silly haha.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Some of my favorite jokes on The Office U.S. revolve around the cameramen. Characters suddenly remembering to watch what they say and do, and so forth.

Dwight and Jim talking poo poo about warehouse workers then packpeddling, for instance.

"Theirs is more of a physical intelligence."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Batman versus Superman: dawn of just ice spoilers

When confronting batman for the second time, when Batman has the krypto spear, why does superman know his real name? He says something like "Bruce! Please! I was wrong! Luthor wants us to fight' or whatever. When did he learn his name?

Why did I watch this a second time is the real IIMM.

He figures it out at lexs charity gala

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Banana Canada posted:

We've always been at war with EastAsia.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Not a show, but Man Bites Dog.

In a big way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

In a big way.

Also Troll Hunter, if I'm reading the question right.

Watch Troll Hunter anyway, it's brilliant.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

My Lovely Horse posted:

In a big way.

What We Do In The Shadows does it sometimes but the best is at the party near the end because at that point you either had forgotten those guys shouldn't be there or you were also wondering why they're there and it's a great payoff in either case.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Behind the mask with leslie Vernon does this

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's extremely funny in Trailer Park Boys that they are apparently filming all of their crimes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

I enjoyed the short-lived comedy series Death Valley where a TV crew follow LAPD cops around in a world where monsters are a part of the public. They refer to the crew quite a lot.
I mean, it's not high art or anything, but dumb fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m watching Batman vs Superman and every tiny covert tracking thing in this movie has a blinking LED and a speaker so it can beep.

So many movies do this. No poo poo they found the tracking beacon you were hiding, you manually wired extra components to it that are used specifically for detection.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have to have it notify it turned on properly someway or else you won't know when it fails.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Samuringa posted:

What We Do In The Shadows does it sometimes but the best is at the party near the end because at that point you either had forgotten those guys shouldn't be there or you were also wondering why they're there and it's a great payoff in either case.

Just rewatched this again and it's still loving hilarious BTW

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Armacham posted:

Just rewatched this again and it's still loving hilarious BTW

Every time I do dishes I end up muttering "This ees boolsheet" to myself.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My other pet peeve is that I’m still watching Batman vs Superman.

This movie is long as poo poo!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HopperUK posted:

Every time I do dishes I end up muttering "This ees boolsheet" to myself.

very :same:

Great loving film and I hope Taika Waititi is now going to get other big Hollywood movies to play with because Ragnarok was great.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

RBA Starblade posted:

The episode of Leverage that parodies The Office (“The Office Job”) has the main characters running a con on a stationery company while a documentary is being filmed there at the same time. They solve a mystery by reviewing the documentary footage.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Samuringa posted:

So, what was the payoff?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Justice League:

The Greek gods fighting an alien invasion is the movie I would make if given a blank check. So I got to see just a snippet of the idea in action before it went back to the mess of a movie.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Some of my favorite jokes on The Office U.S. revolve around the cameramen. Characters suddenly remembering to watch what they say and do, and so forth.

Dwight and Jim talking poo poo about warehouse workers then packpeddling, for instance.

"Theirs is more of a physical intelligence."

I like the idea that Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration only says that because he's in front of a camera and wants to advertise any chance he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

my favorite for mockumentary crews is definitely trailer park boys because at one point the sound guy gets shot and the rest of the crew keeps doing their thing and goddamn if that wasn't a great metaphor for my brief experience as a sound guy.