Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kilometres Davis posted:

Why is there so much PHP?

there was a time when it was that or html out the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
so the company brought me on-site for an interview last week which went pretty well, and the head of the division called me today to address some concerns i had and to tell me that "we're rebuilding the team and don't have many people with strong development skills* at the moment so we would want you in a hybrid role to get heavily into the development work for upcoming projects"

(* the role is "systems engineer", meaning post-sales deployment/integration/devops, my background is in straight r&d but i tend to find those types of problems more interesting)

and after all that, nobody has commented on the salary number i gave them :thunk: but i'm feeling positive about it

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Love to apply for a mid level full stack role and get put forward for tech lead, good job recruita

Boiled Water posted:

there was a time when it was that or html out the rear end

Considering how much COBOL is still out there I guess my lust for the death of the LAMP stack will never be saited.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
ugh a former colleague is pitching a job to me that sounds great on paper but it's a defense contractor for the air force and that sounds like it would be even worse than contracting with the civilian government

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

ugh a former colleague is pitching a job to me that sounds great on paper but it's a defense contractor for the air force and that sounds like it would be even worse than contracting with the civilian government

if memes are to be trusted the air force is the richest branch of the american armed forces, i mean if that's whats worrying you

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
why does every company want to be google. why is this 30 person startup trying to do a 7hour interview. gently caress offffffffffff

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Phobeste posted:

why does every company want to be google. why is this 30 person startup trying to do a 7hour interview. gently caress offffffffffff

hr is nothing if not a cargo cult

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm gonna start responding to some recruiters on LinkedIn today

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

:sad:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bloody posted:

it's fun and they're usually very positive people

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kilometres Davis posted:

Considering how much COBOL is still out there I guess my lust for the death of the LAMP stack will never be saited.

poo poo's that written in COBOL usually keeps working no matter what unless you improperly gently caress with it, that's why it's been there for 30/40/50 years. PHP on the other hand...

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boiled Water posted:

if memes are to be trusted the air force is the richest branch of the american armed forces, i mean if that's whats worrying you

not so worried about getting paid vs going back to serving the public sector (used to work for a govt contractor that did civilian work) and all the garbage found there in

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

lol if you think in 30 years corps wont be locked into arcane php baggage just as they are to cobol now

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

not so worried about getting paid vs going back to serving the public sector (used to work for a govt contractor that did civilian work) and all the garbage found there in

you will never be rid of the garbage, never

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boiled Water posted:

there was a time when it was that or html out the .pl

dark times

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is it wrong to want to stay at my current job for as long as possible so I don't have to do another technical interview? Because I still don't know how I passed the one that got me my job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is it wrong to want to stay at my current job for as long as possible so I don't have to do another technical interview? Because I still don't know how I passed the one that got me my job.

:same:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

yes b/c you should always be interviewing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
who knows, i suspect that i got my last job because the interviewers were amused when my super mario world ringtone went off

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’ve run into this enough times consulting that it’s starting to really get on my nerves so lord help anyone that can’t loving touch-type when i interview them

jfc

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’ve run into this enough times consulting that it’s starting to really get on my nerves so lord help anyone that can’t loving touch-type when i interview them

jfc

hey I can't perform when someone is watching check your privilege :(

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

meatpotato posted:

just got back on Saturday from my four-month self-arranged “sabbatical” studying Chinese in Taiwan and a job might already be in the works.

my team leader from my last job referred me to a nearby industrial design shop that’s desperately looking for firmware developers to replace their only one who is retiring. I don’t think they’re planning on doing a technical interview (thank god) since they know my old team leader well and trust his referral. they want me to come in tomorrow to hear about their project.

if they give a good offer and the work is interesting I’ll probably take the job. is it a dumb idea to jump for the first place that seems interested? I’m feeling happy/guilty/lucky that I might not have to search very hard.

also, it sounds like I might be doing the firmware all on my own with no mentoring (and i never got any at my first job either. i could use some mentoring because I have little exposure doing stuff like automated testing, more advanced version control, and build automation) but job hunting sucks and the people seem nice. i think I can teach myself a lot but there are limits, obviously, and I won’t learn idiomatic uses as easily on my own.

I’ll post again when I learn more

thanks for reading, I’ll gladly take any feedback and I’ll to remember to ask the questions in the op when I see them tomorrow.

i met with the industrial design shop yesterday.

they need somebody to replace their main firmware contractor since he’s retiring.

they’re not looking for a full-time employee because they don’t have enough continuous firmware work to justify one.

they also said they have two options for getting paid: part-time with hours varying according to the project, or as an independent contractor.

pros:
* I want to do independent contracting and this is a chance to do that.

* Seems like they have their poo poo together regarding project planning and management (ie. they actually do some project planning and use estimates to set deliverable dates, not the other way around). they also have a history of successfully completing projects.

* Long-established team (but I will not be part of it) and a stable network of independent contractors they shop work out to. not a place with crazy turnaround.

* the project they want to hire me for sounds sane and something I could succeed at.

* the EE is extremely experienced and I could probably learn a few things from him.

* convenient commute.

cons:
* not a software shop so probably doesn’t pay great, but I don’t actually know yet. hours won’t be full-time level either.

* development environment sounds crufty, but not sure how bad. not sure if they use version control and they almost certainly don’t do automated software testing. I might be able to effect change but I also admit I don’t know much about modern development practices (besides using version control).

* nobody to offer mentorship in software development. may learn other skills, however.

not sure:
* the project is a low-volume product with a high cost and a sensitive schedule so they’re just going to throw expensive and powerful pre-made modules at it. this might be a pro for some people because it makes development easier, but it’s the opposite experience of my last job and I feel a little uneasy because it sounds sloppy.

* most people are in their late 50s or 60s. this could mean they are wise and can teach me or this could mean they’re coasting to retirement and are running on autopilot.

* they interviewed three others (all much older than me) but decided their skills weren’t in-line with the project. sounds like most others were EEs by trade and they need somebody a little more skilled in software. not sure what this says about caliber of applicant.

they said that they’ll have more info on Friday.

I charged $130 an hour with my last client, but that was short-term, about 100 hours total. not sure if I should expect the same here since they’re not a a silicon valley startup and the project here sounds longer.

I’m currently jobless and typically hopeless at technical interviews so I’m leaning towards taking the job if they pay more than $50 an hour. if it’s over $100 I think I’ll almost certainly take it.

thoughts?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Neslepaks posted:

lol if you think in 30 years corps wont be locked into arcane php baggage just as they are to cobol now

I don't know if facebook is still stuck in php land but if they can't get out then there's little hope for anyone else

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader posted:

I don't know if facebook is still stuck in php land but if they can't get out then there's little hope for anyone else

You'd think it would be easier to change a smaller shop than facebook. Think turning a sloop versus an oil tanker full of poop.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

You'd think it would be easier to change a smaller shop than facebook. Think turning a sloop versus an oil tanker full of poop.

Poop sloop.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

Yes but a smaller shop isn't going to have hundreds of engineers reinventing the wheel over and over again

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

Yes but a smaller shop isn't going to have hundreds of engineers reinventing the wheel over and over again

hahaha of course they are, just that each time the project will not cover all their existing cases and they will never adopt it, so next year another team can a stab at reinventing the wheels

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Maximum Leader posted:

Good joke there, Maximum Leader.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

yeah it’ll only be dozens

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/705255770/ posted:

System Administrator
Company Name: Election Systems & Software Company Location 11208 John Galt Blvd. , Omaha, NE 68137, US

:thunk:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Oh gently caress I am giving my first interview next week and this guy sounds way too good to be working here what do I do?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Steve Jorbs posted:

Oh gently caress I am giving my first interview next week and this guy sounds way too good to be working here what do I do?

Suck his dick.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

If you need the money or are willing to grind it out, yea

Otherwise medium

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Steve Jorbs posted:

Pay him more Offer him a free coffee every day.

Only small, though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’m dead loving serious if you fancy yourself a computer touched and can’t even type/touch computers effectively i will judge you super harshly

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Steve Jorbs posted:

ask him to give you a call when he finds his new gig

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Steve Jorbs posted:

are you basing this on the resume? if so...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fiedler posted:

are you basing this on the resume? if so...

yeah step 1 is the same as always, figure out if their resume is a pack of lies

where would they be joining your org? senior on your team? in your management chain?

assuming step 1 goes well and you're not able to grill them technically, i've focused on behavioral questions. "can you describe a time when a junior engineer was stuck on a problem, and what steps you took to help them?" and interpret the answer as 'what if my boss did X'. it's totally okay to say "no hire, could code circles around me but is a jerk and wouldn't be a culture fit with our org"

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
i'm going to start my first job search in 4 years. last time was as a junior a few years out of school, re-reading my old resume makes me cringe

anyway a couple of resume q's:

- if you worked with a small team on a big Thing X, is saying "implemented Thing X" or "helped implement Thing X" better?

- should i leave my free time projects on or off? for instance i have a thing of medium complexity (chess AI) but i haven't worked on it in years. would interviewers care?

e: should i just recommit it to github so it looks like i worked on it recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
say you did it all yourself and your teammates just cheered you on. seriously just say you did X and it was part of a larger blah blah that resulted in more clicks/users, reduced costs, etc

don’t put free time projects if they aren’t active, someone will check your github and see it hasn’t been touched in months