Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

edit: wrong thread

smoobles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I got a survey asking if I would recommend YouTube to a friend or colleague recently

Y'know, all those people who've never heard of YouTube

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

That's what 90 percent of my surveys have been for years.

Yeah, it's usually either this or Have You Been Skydiving For Truffles In The Last Month? Can We Come Along?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

repiv posted:

I got a survey asking if I would recommend YouTube to a friend or colleague recently

Y'know, all those people who've never heard of YouTube

And what did you tell them?

Speaking of YouTube (Music), good christ this app is garbage. It must not locally cache music because it will often just stop playback abruptly with no indication as to why. Yes, I get a lovely signal at work but I've listened to this same track ten or fifteen times now (out of a playlist containing only ~50 tracks) so why isn't it cached? Why can't I pin the playlist to my phone?

When I'm done listening to music can I pause playback and swipe away the notification to close it like I can with every other media playback app? Of course not, why would I think I could do that? I have to unlock the phone go into the app if it's not in front though if it is, it's about 50/50 on whether the UI will be completely frozen, and manually back out of it.

It's ridiculous how bad of a downgrade this is from GPM. I think I'm just going to take the music I can't get on GPM from YTM and upload it to GPM.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Google started letting newspapers use Opinion Rewards surveys as paywalls, and ever since then the survey variety in the app had gone way down.

I guess the newspaper gets the 20 cents or whatever you would've earned from filling out the survey in the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Google started letting newspapers use Opinion Rewards surveys as paywalls, and ever since then the survey variety in the app had gone way down.

I guess the newspaper gets the 20 cents or whatever you would've earned from filling out the survey in the app.

Honestly I'm fine with that. Seems like it would help newspapers more than what they'd get via advertising.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thermopyle posted:

That's what 90 percent of my surveys have been for years.

Punctuated with the occasional "do you use soap?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'm fine with that. Seems like it would help newspapers more than what they'd get via advertising.

:thunk:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm assuming of course that newspapers, like me, spend all of their revenue on Play Store items.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I briefly switched the user on my phone to guest to see how it worked and now I have a user icon on my lock screen that is irrationally annoying me. Can I make that go away?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

LastInLine posted:

Yeah i gotta agree; we've (society) been looking for a way to monetize journalism without ads because of adblock for quite some time and this seems like it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Uthor posted:

I briefly switched the user on my phone to guest to see how it worked and now I have a user icon on my lock screen that is irrationally annoying me. Can I make that go away?

Go into your OS settings and delete all other users/disable guest mode. I was doing the two-users thing for a while (shoved all my games and crap over there) but I got tired of the downsides. I deleted the other user and now there's no user icon on my lock screen. there is one still on the pulldown notification menu, but that might've been there before

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Go into your OS settings and delete all other users/disable guest mode. I was doing the two-users thing for a while (shoved all my games and crap over there) but I got tired of the downsides. I deleted the other user and now there's no user icon on my lock screen. there is one still on the pulldown notification menu, but that might've been there before

Huzzah!

Seems like "guest" stayed in session. I switched to guest and was able to hit "disable guest". Seems like I just need to hit "add guest" if I wanna use it again.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I just want to rant a bit:
I opened the Google app today and noticed that the Upcoming tab (with the aggregated info from Maps and other poo poo) is no longer available and I'm happily informed by the app that I should switch to Assistant. Ok, I fire it up and... nope it still claims that it can't be run, since it doesn't support my native language. And I can't exactly switch to English because then it doesn't understand what the gently caress about my contacts, addresses, so the Assistant becomes mostly useless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So you can't just change the Google app settings to English? I have a few bizarro addresses in my contacts and it seems to work fine for me?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a nice simple local on-device music player that's compatible with both Android Auto and Google Assistant.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

google play music? You can completely ignore the streaming service part

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

google play music? You can completely ignore the streaming service part

Disable, even! There's a switch to toggle for "On Device Only"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I know a lot of you use nova launcher, so do I and I recently downloaded this app as an extension for it and it is really good. It is called sesame, the link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ninja.sesame.app.edge&hl=en_US

It provides a universal search interface for your phone which encompasses your contacts, apps, shortcuts for various apps such as settings, spotify, slack, and telegram. It is able to replace the bottom google search bar in the dock, like so:

When you tap on it, it brings up the search interface:

In that image, you can see a list of recently used apps at the top and recent searches/shortcuts in the list below. Towards the bottom, you can see various playlists from spotify; you can tap them in this list and they will open in spotify, allowing you to play them. Similarly, you can see the bluetooth settings shortcut, tapping it will bring you to the bluetooth portion of settings. Typing in the box at the top will display apps, contacts, and shortcuts containing the string:

Typing "a" bring up the apps that start with a, contact names that start with a who you can then call message or email, shortcuts for the various apps, etc. You can also use it to search apps:

Typing in calendar, it will bring up the calendar app. Further down, you can see the icons for google search, the play store, maps, spotify, and chrome. Tapping any of those icons will search for it in the given app, so you could search for whatever app you like and tap the play store to search for it there, you could type in an artist name and search spotify for it, an address and search maps for it, etc. As you use things more frequently, they should populate the list when you first open it.

It is a neat concept and it may be useful to some of you. It is free to use for 14 days, after that period you can continue to use it, but if you use app shortcuts it will pop up a little screen asking you to buy it that you must click through. If you want to skip that, it costs 2.99.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I personally prefer Sesame Shortcuts which integrates nicely into Nova.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That's what the post is about friend :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

That's what the post is about friend :)

loving hell I didn't click the link and read the post too fast. I am an idiot. Apologies

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Train posted:

I know a lot of you use nova launcher, so do I and I recently downloaded this app as an extension for it and it is really good. It is called sesame, the link is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ninja.sesame.app.edge&hl=en_US

It provides a universal search interface for your phone which encompasses your contacts, apps, shortcuts for various apps such as settings, spotify, slack, and telegram. It is able to replace the bottom google search bar in the dock, like so:

When you tap on it, it brings up the search interface:

In that image, you can see a list of recently used apps at the top and recent searches/shortcuts in the list below. Towards the bottom, you can see various playlists from spotify; you can tap them in this list and they will open in spotify, allowing you to play them. Similarly, you can see the bluetooth settings shortcut, tapping it will bring you to the bluetooth portion of settings. Typing in the box at the top will display apps, contacts, and shortcuts containing the string:

Typing "a" bring up the apps that start with a, contact names that start with a who you can then call message or email, shortcuts for the various apps, etc. You can also use it to search apps:

Typing in calendar, it will bring up the calendar app. Further down, you can see the icons for google search, the play store, maps, spotify, and chrome. Tapping any of those icons will search for it in the given app, so you could search for whatever app you like and tap the play store to search for it there, you could type in an artist name and search spotify for it, an address and search maps for it, etc. As you use things more frequently, they should populate the list when you first open it.

It is a neat concept and it may be useful to some of you. It is free to use for 14 days, after that period you can continue to use it, but if you use app shortcuts it will pop up a little screen asking you to buy it that you must click through. If you want to skip that, it costs 2.99.

who is amber?! :captainpop:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol a friend of mine, if you live in colorado springs maybe you can find her playing poker!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, JustType WebOS, you were years ahead of the curve.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't live in Colorado Springs because I don't loving hate myself.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

This guy gets it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Am I the only person who's gotten like twenty surveys today?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I haven't gotten a survey in ages and I wonder if I broke things somehow :ohdear:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Spotify loving FINALLY added playlist editing to android earlier this month. still can't change the playlist art, but whatever.

I also just discovered this app Thingify, which adds a notification with a list of playlists (up to 4 in the free version I think) that allow you to add (or remove) the song currently playing on spotify to a playlist with a tap. the app looks pretty rough, but the notification is fine. I was a bitch and edited my review after it stopped working yesterday, but the dev already fixed it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

WebDO posted:

I haven't gotten a survey in ages and I wonder if I broke things somehow :ohdear:

Bad news, there was a problem with your account not getting the surveys it was sent.
Good news, Google fixed it.
Bad news, the fix was sending them all to LastInLine.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

This is a bit off topic but speaking of Google surveys, anyone else ever been selected for their TV and media survey program? I got a postcard in the mail and signed up for it. They're sending a device to my house to measure TV programs watched, like Nielsen. There's an Android app too but I am a little creeped out about that level of tracking :pwn:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fuuuuuuuuck that

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is a bit off topic but speaking of Google surveys, anyone else ever been selected for their TV and media survey program? I got a postcard in the mail and signed up for it. They're sending a device to my house to measure TV programs watched, like Nielsen. There's an Android app too but I am a little creeped out about that level of tracking :pwn:

lol they should just ask me for my netflix credentials. i only ever watch that or youtube which im sure they track anyways.

there ya go, google.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

That place is literally just filled with trash blowing in the wind.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What does it pay?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I'm still getting surveys regularly since the 20th. Turns out it's been 13 surveys over the last day and a half totaling $3.02. This is just me? I mean, I'm not complaining but the last time this happened it happened for everyone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've only gotten one in the last few days, one of the ones that asks you to take a picture of your receipt

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Around one a day for me but i earned almost a pounds worth answering the same survey 3 times in a row :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, my survey frequency hasn't changed (maybe once a week :().