Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Taintrunner posted:

Today I’m gonna try to revisit Wasteland 2, now that there’s a bunch of mods and stuff for it.

I can't imagine a mod that would make Wasteland 2 worth anybody's time, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

friend have you heard of, real life, where asses are rendered at perfect resolution
Video games are more real than reality.

Or rather, its reality itself that's too imperfect to accept as being real.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How is wasteland 2? It seems to play exactly like Fallout 1 and 2 except without the excellent writing. Is that accurate?

The White Dragon posted:

friend have you heard of, real life, where asses are rendered at perfect resolution

i have yet to see a perfectly rendered rear end in life

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

That is Too Much

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wasteland 2 more like waste, of time 2

actually i only played a little maybe it's good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked what I played of Wasteland 2 with the caveat that it's more combat oriented than Fallout. It scratched my itch for min/maxing and blowing poo poo into bits.

My same opinion on Pillars of Eternity, another game that was kind of divisive?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The opening FMV of Wasteland 2 is pretty embarrassing and made me immediately regret backing it

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I think both suffered from the same thing Yooka Laylee did, eg. they doubled down on old game design as opposed to delivering something that felt like what we remembered old game design to be

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm playing the recent PC version of Final Fantasy IX and just realized Beatrix's breasts jiggle

sakes alive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

I think both suffered from the same thing Yooka Laylee did, eg. they doubled down on old game design as opposed to delivering something that felt like what we remembered old game design to be

whoever wrote the "witty" dialog for wasteland 2 should be fired

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Remember how witty the kickstarter was

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

How is wasteland 2? It seems to play exactly like Fallout 1 and 2 except without the excellent writing. Is that accurate?

It hasn't aged well, at all, visually. There's a sort of X-COMness to the combat that I was kinda missing and am enjoying. The writing so far is... okay, if not inspiring. You're a new ranger, there's a mystery around someone's death you gotta figure out, also there's dead robots strung about, and there's someone listening on on communications with the ranger base apparently, so there's a bit of a mystery that has it's hooks in me so far. Weirdly enough in one of the first firefights I hit a friendly in this town under siege by raiders and the rest of them in the immediate area started shooting at my squad, so I killed them, and nobody else in the town attacked me or even gave it any notice. Which was weird.

It's a solid... 6/10 game, I think?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

This is accurate.

Dump stats are a thing that needs to go away from RPGs.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think I was halfway through Wasteland 2 when they released the Director's Cut, then I found out that old saves weren't transferrable, so I stopped playing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Early Wasteland 2 spoilers: I got to the Ranger HQ and accidentally activated the nuclear bomb they put on display there. That was fun but I stopped playing soon after that, so as far as I’m concerned that’s the canonical ending

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm playing the recent PC version of Final Fantasy IX and just realized Beatrix's breasts jiggle

sakes alive

Original PSX version did this too. Resolution was just too low to notice.

Also: condolences. Was a let down port to me but you might enjoy it more than I did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

It hasn't aged well, at all, visually. There's a sort of X-COMness to the combat that I was kinda missing and am enjoying. The writing so far is... okay, if not inspiring. You're a new ranger, there's a mystery around someone's death you gotta figure out, also there's dead robots strung about, and there's someone listening on on communications with the ranger base apparently, so there's a bit of a mystery that has it's hooks in me so far. Weirdly enough in one of the first firefights I hit a friendly in this town under siege by raiders and the rest of them in the immediate area started shooting at my squad, so I killed them, and nobody else in the town attacked me or even gave it any notice. Which was weird.

It's a solid... 6/10 game, I think?

The thing is, it starts off mediocre but then halfway through the game you change settings to the area that they didn't playtest (to keep it secret!!) and it becomes a thousand times worse.

Also, it turns out there's an X-Files resident evil clone on the ps2, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl75zx4i94A

as it turns out, it is not very good.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 13, 2018

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Original PSX version did this too. Resolution was just too low to notice.

Also: condolences. Was a let down port to me but you might enjoy it more than I did.

I'm having fun with a romhack called "Alternate Fantasy." so far it mixes things up enough and increases the difficulty in a reasonable manner. we'll see if it lasts

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkHErRV1J8

david duchovny sounds like he is asleep the entire time

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

That's an... unfortunate thumbnail

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
holy crap lately ive been playing a variety of games and they all seem to be hiring from the same incredibly small voice actor pool. Tales from The Borderlands, Fallout NV + 4, and a whole bunch of other games have the same people. Its slightly maddening.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

buglord posted:

holy crap lately ive been playing a variety of games and they all seem to be hiring from the same incredibly small voice actor pool. Tales from The Borderlands, Fallout NV + 4, and a whole bunch of other games have the same people. Its slightly maddening.

persona 3 is the game of liam o'brien, persona 4 is the game of yuri lowenthal and fallout new vegas is the game where they converge

al-azad
May 28, 2009

buglord posted:

Well, there are a small pool of union voice actors to draw from so every AAA game gets the same people.

You used to hear a lot of the same voices on cartoons as well but for everything but anime dubs studios have gone to great length to get a wider variety of actors.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kira buckland used to do fandubs and voice heroines in godlimations flash games and now she is the voice of 2b and the cat in trails of cold steel, a new member of the ranks of dub actors who appear in literally everything. a respectable career path

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have a stunning revelation: Okami is a good game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

so what you're trying to say is, he sounds like david duchovny

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Colonel posted:

kira buckland used to do fandubs and voice heroines in godlimations flash games and now she is the voice of 2b and the cat in trails of cold steel, a new member of the ranks of dub actors who appear in literally everything. a respectable career path

the guy who played DAN MCNEELY is writing freedom planet 2, which is amusing

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Well, there are a small pool of union voice actors to draw from so every AAA game gets the same people.

You used to hear a lot of the same voices on cartoons as well but for everything but anime dubs studios have gone to great length to get a wider variety of actors.
I remember visiting some family for the holidays and hearing Colonel Campbell playing a grandpa on Ben 10. That was an experience.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

the guy who played DAN MCNEELY is writing freedom planet 2, which is amusing

he voiced a guy in freedom planet 1, so i'm glad

in my heart though edwyn tiong's best role will always be the guy who appears for like five seconds in the nameless mod for deus ex and those five seconds he exists purely to tell you to go talk to someone else entirely

rio
Mar 20, 2008

There’s a new Star Ocean game (probably not new to a lot of you but it was just released to western countries). It’s a mobile game and I’d be lying if I said I’m not going to give it a try. Luckily I haven’t played any of the new star oceans so my memories of the series are still fond.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a game that exists entirely for Liam O'Brien, and for that reason at least it is good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished Breath of the Wild. I think my general impression is that its a good but not great game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

O_O.......lol...i i used to talk to her when she was still kagome_higurashi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Omg I need to play this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I just finished Breath of the Wild. I think my general impression is that its a good but not great game.

the ending isn't great but i love just about everything else

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

That’s just what David Duchovny sounds like.

I have heard his album and he sounds like he is singing in his sleep, it is sort of impressive.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8joGzTMho

Getting in costume to play your remix of a video game song is some dedication.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Omg I need to play this

you even get to pick between playing as mulder or scully and they have different puzzles and events

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can you hook Mulder and Scully up at the end of the game?

Because if not what the gently caress is the point

• Locked thread