Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Na Ran Cha

e: Heres a weird website I just found. The way I think its supposed to be said would be the "Italian Pronunciation" and the way I always said it before was the 8th English Pronunciation (USA)

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Narancia%20Ghirga

In "ca", "co", "cu", "che" and "chi" the c is "hard", as in cat.
In "cia", "cio", "ciu", "ce" and "ci" the c is "soft", as the ch in "chip".
In "ga", "go", "gu", "ghe" and "ghi" the g is "hard", as in get.
In "gia", "gio", "giu", "ge" and "gi" the g is "soft", as the j in jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7fjv4JkgBk

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Graceful Dead and Beachcomber

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fugo and his stand, The Mauve Avenger

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

EmmyOk posted:

Doppio's phone call running gag is the best in the series

Doppio on the airplane and seemingly talking on a real phone, only for the reveal that it's a toy phone he borrowed from a toddler is the best visual punchline I've seen in awhile tbh.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Can't wait to use Doppio on the phone gifs on social medias

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DAvid Pro is going to bring Slash in to record a special version of the Godfather Theme for Giorno getting sworn in as don.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

BaDandy posted:

Doppio on the airplane and seemingly talking on a real phone, only for the reveal that it's a toy phone he borrowed from a toddler is the best visual punchline I've seen in awhile tbh.

I'm so fuckin excited for Doppio's dumb phone bullshit its gonna be so good

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
It is probably my favourite joke through the whole series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rulululululululululululululululululululululu
rululululululululululululululululululululululululululululululu

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What was the deal with jotoro and joylene being covered in cum

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
part of Whitesnake's illusion ability before Araki had pinned down what Whitesnake could do

it does the illusion thing again when it impersonates Weather with no goo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Average Bear posted:

What I do with my anime figurines is none of your business

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Average Bear posted:

You've seen them right? They're beautiful, and those snakey pants.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 12, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Agreed on Doppio's telephone shenanigans being the best running gag.

Also King Crimson vs Metallica will be amazing just for that moment where Doppio's eyes roll back and reveal Diavolo's hosed up broken pupils.

Really excited to see a bunch of the minor villain fights too. Like Narancia escalating the poo poo of a situation fighting Formaggio.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 12, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Is Diavolo and Doppio being Two Souls In One Body or everything about how to summon the Green Baby more Yo This Is Just Straight Up Magic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You could probably see Doppio and Diavolo as an extreme visual representation of DID, at least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think in the former's case araki read way too much about multiple personalities in regards to criminal studies and in the latter's case he watched a.i.: artificial intelligence and thought the scene of the mom imprinting on her weird robot child was the coolest goddamn thing ever

so yes, to both

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Is Diavolo and Doppio being Two Souls In One Body or everything about how to summon the Green Baby more Yo This Is Just Straight Up Magic

Diavolo and Doppio is more a Fortean phenomenon than straight up magic (there's a handwave about how there's totally a recorded case of MPD causing changes in physical appearance from 18th century Germany or something). The Green Baby ritual isn't really explained at all in the manga, although the Over Heaven LN makes a valiant attempt.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diavolo was straight-up an immaculate conception so the weird poo poo doesn't start at the Doppio/Diavolo dichotomy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've watched enough anime to be able to accept.....let's say dramatic depictions of DID but Doppio takes his sweater off and grows sixteen inches, loses his freckles and changes hair color, it's bonkers! Even if I could just say it's a split personality thing, it keeps doubling down on the Two Souls idea through Silver Chariot Requiem iirc and it's soul business and turning people into monsters or whatever.

JoJo gets violently surreal after Part 4 i tell ya

Funky Valentine posted:

Diavolo was straight-up an immaculate conception so the weird poo poo doesn't start at the Doppio/Diavolo dichotomy.
Diavolo's orgin works for me because it's like, intentionally bad and full of holes. Like that doesn't make it good, and I think having Diavolo come right after someone like Kira really makes Diavolo look lamer somehow, but having this story that Araki himself goes "Yeah that don't make sense based on what we know, but it's not like any of us were there so oh well!" surpresses my :goonsay: brain

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

isn't his ma found buried in concrete and the explanation is "who was telephone?"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The result of Diavolo's what the gently caress backstory is that we really don't get much to his whole deal beyond "is really arrogant" (so, a Jojo villain) and "is paranoid to a comical extent".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It really does work best if you work backwards from "Diavolo is the inverse of Dio" so just think about what we know of Dio and Diavolo and apply to opposite.

Johnny Joestar posted:

and in the latter's case he watched a.i.: artificial intelligence and thought the scene of the mom imprinting on her weird robot child was the coolest goddamn thing ever

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M1e8zt6DCw

It all makes so much sense now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the movie came out in 2001 and stone ocean didn't finish up until like 2003 so i honestly 100% believe he caught the most recent spielberg flick and thought 'wow i can put this in jojo' and that's why there's a goddamn plant baby getting told random words so that they would bond with a person

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That also means Araki referenced two separate Hayley Joel Osment movies in the same part.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I love that Jolyne spoiled The Sixth Sense for everyone

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It didn't hit me until a month ago that Stone Ocean started publishing a few months after Sixth Sense came out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, but the Jail House Lock arc where Jolyne spoiled the movie didn't start for two years after that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that gets thrown around a lot but it's like if someone spoiled like..... I dunno 10 Cloverfield Lane now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also refreshing myself that Stone Ocean was only at Jail House Lock at the end of 2001 basically confirms the timeframe for the A.I. reference.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but the Jail House Lock arc where Jolyne spoiled the movie didn't start for two years after that.

IIRC It had either not come out or only recently came out in japan when that chapter came out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nope, released in Japan two months after US Google tells me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Sixth Sense came out in America August 1999. Jail House Lock began December 2001.

You're telling me there's that much of a delay, huh?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Changed my mind, the Zombie Horse from Part 7 is the most Magic thing in the series, I still don't understand what that was

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Nope, released in Japan two months after US Google tells me

Aw, too bad. I guess that tumblr post I quarter remembered wasn't accurate

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While the movie is 2 years old at the point it was spoiled in the series. Lets remember the series was taking place in a prison and there was no way those girls watching it would have been able to see it else were.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nobody is saying that Jolyne didn't spoil it in-universe, that was what the scene was. We're talking about the "Araki Said" claim that the series spoiled Sixth Sense for the readers in the real world because the movie hadn't come out in Japan yet, which it had.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsterEnvy posted:

While the movie is 2 years old at the point it was spoiled in the series. Lets remember the series was taking place in a prison and there was no way those girls watching it would have been able to see it else were.
Part 6 took place in 2011 so hey maybe they saw it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jotaro promised Jolyne that they'd see Sixth Sense when he got back from Morioh.

When he finally came back in 2001, he took her to a local showing of Flipper instead.