Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So 23 is the last volume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Dorohedoro is one of the few Manga I would say is exhaustsing to binge because around the blue moon festival things get really compact with plot lines that are happening and it only gets denser from there. I am curious if it will actually end in 3 chapters because Dorohedoro has been ending for like two years now.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

dogsicle posted:

lol yeah right

Eh last time she said it, it felt more vague. This feels slightly more serious

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope it ends because this is the natural point and not because of some forn of pressure.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm not sure how they can wrap up the series in just 3 chapters. I mean, there's still the people being digested inside Hole, the last time travel shot, that girl in the magic world who flew into Hole's door, and possibly more that I don't remember.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

It seems that the moment a series introduces rape into its story, that series turns to poo poo. Or am I overgeneralizing?

Schubalts posted:

It really depends on how the series is written following it. Some can pull it off, like Berserk, but most can not.

What about when a series opens with attempted rape? The Killing Bites manga did, though the would-be rapists got brutally murdered for their attempt, and then what was translated at the time became Bloody Roar:The Manga.

Goblin Slayer is pretty drat good and it opens up with almost the whole party getting raped or eaten.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Charlz Guybon posted:

Goblin Slayer is pretty drat good and it opens up with almost the whole party getting raped or eaten.

:yikes:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

It a pretty grim dark setting, but so is Berserk and Warhammer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Goblin slayer starts off with a really lazy way of showing basic competency on the part of the main character by having the first party die because they were literally untrained and way too overconfident. The rape was purely shock value to draw attention to the story itself and it's dropped relatively early in the first volume in favor of a more standard approach to fantasy world + adventurer guild stories. I really don't know if I'd say it's pretty drat good after all that either.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It a pretty grim dark setting, but so is Berserk and Warhammer.

Both are better written, which is saying some pretty loving insulting things about Goblin Slayer considering Warhammer is on that list.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Goblin slayer starts off with a really lazy way of showing basic competency on the part of the main character by having the first party die because they were literally untrained and way too overconfident. The rape was purely shock value to draw attention to the story itself and it's dropped relatively early in the first volume in favor of a more standard approach to fantasy world + adventurer guild stories. I really don't know if I'd say it's pretty drat good after all that either.

While it's not shown on a screen much after the first couple of chapters I wouldn't really call it dropped. It's baked into the background of the setting. It's how the goblins reproduce. The possibility of getting raped or eaten alive hangs over every character that interacts with goblins in any way, even the characters who are S teir and usually fight dragons.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mulva posted:

Both are better written, which is saying some pretty loving insulting things about Goblin Slayer considering Warhammer is on that list.

Berserk, sure, but Warhammer novels are not better written.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lmao it's how the goblins reproduce

this is somehow stupider than anything else i've heard about it

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Nothing I've heard about Goblin Slayer has made me want to read it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's just the way the world works man there's nothing the writer could possibly have done about it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

All I know about Goblin Slayer is that it sure seems to attract a particular crowd of people that I want to have nothing in common with.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

While it's not shown on a screen much after the first couple of chapters I wouldn't really call it dropped. It's baked into the background of the setting. It's how the goblins reproduce. The possibility of getting raped or eaten alive hangs over every character that interacts with goblins in any way, even the characters who are S teir and usually fight dragons.

It's dropped in the sense that it's not a plot point worth talking about. And even then if the author did it would just call into question why Goblins aren't considered a bigger threat since they would primarily contest humanity as a whole. I never bought the whole "goblins are less important than Liches" angle because the main setting of the story is so far divorced from all those other, bigger threats, that goblins should basically be public enemy #1.

The writer wants me to believe it's just the God's playing D&D, but no game master I know would have a setting as contrived as this one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

it's literally exactly the same as the trolls from berserk :shrug:

like it doesn't sound like my bag but the level of sketchiness doesn't seem above the norm for "dark fantasy"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

dogsicle posted:

This is an already an existing and inexplicably popular trope in Japanese fantasy.

Just look at the terrible manga Re:Monster where the main character is a young salary man who is reincarnated as a Goblin rape baby and it's just glossed over as no big deal, and he gets his own harem later on.

Goblin Slayer plays the idea straight from the point of view of the victims to rub the readers face in it that this poo poo is loving horrible.

It's dropped in the sense that it's not a plot point worth talking about. And even then if the author did it would just call into question why Goblins aren't considered a bigger threat since they would primarily contest humanity as a whole. I never bought the whole "goblins are less important than Liches" angle because the main setting of the story is so far divorced from all those other, bigger threats, that goblins should basically be public enemy #1.

The writer wants me to believe it's just the God's playing D&D, but no game master I know would have a setting as contrived as this one.

The point of it is that the 15 year old girl running around in the background slaying demon lords is who most books would be focusing on as the main character, but they're the 1% of the 1%. There are so many manga and LN being published these days where a totally overpowered progtagonists runs roughshod over a fantasy world. But, for the vast, vast majority of their inhabitants a medieval fantasy world sucks rear end, and Goblin Slayer follows those folks around. The author is basically working the GRRM angle.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 13, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
GRRM loves rape you've got me there

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And GRRM writes terrible books. Connection?

Mulva posted:

[Warhammer] is better written

Let's not say things we can't take back.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Goblin Slayer plays the idea straight from the point of view of the victims to rub the readers face in it that this poo poo is loving horrible.

That sounds extremely juvenile. Why is it necessary to "rub the readers face in" about rape?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That sounds extremely juvenile. Why is it necessary to "rub the readers face in" about rape?

How else are they gonna get off?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

DisDisDis posted:

GRRM loves rape you've got me there

it would be the only way he'd have sex if he weren't so physically unfit as to be incapable

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I came here to laugh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Laugh at life in general, but mostly because the dude ctrl-f'd the word 'rape' to find a reason to post about goblin slayer since those posts they're responding to are like 5 months old.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

The point of it is that the 15 year old girl running around in the background slaying demon lords is who most books would be focusing on as the main character, but they're the 1% of the 1%. There are so many manga and LN being published these days where a totally overpowered progtagonists runs roughshod over a fantasy world. But, for the vast, vast majority of their inhabitants a medieval fantasy world sucks rear end, and Goblin Slayer follows those folks around. The author is basically working the GRRM angle.
The concept is interesting "what if we told a story from the perspective of a background character" is a novel idea. But the execution has the setting bending over backwards to make Goblins some major threat relative to everywhere the titular character exists instead of being the nuisance they are told to be. Mostly by having people just behave completely unrealistic in the face of the danger they actually present. I've only read the first novel but the starting setting is a frontier so far away from the actual front-line of fighting that they don't even get news of the demon lord's defeat for a couple days. If Goblins are the most prevalent attacking force to the point that the Guild officials are stated to actually want a dedicated goblin extermination force I ask the following questions:
  • Why do goblin quests keep getting handed off to complete newbies who by the stories own admission; will fail 3/4 times on average
  • Why don't goblin slaying quests get subsidized by the guild if they know low pay from the requester is the reason more capable adventurers don't take them
  • Related to the previous point, how do these poor villages also manage to pay for troll exterminations or other higher ranking monsters if they are too poor to get decent adventurers for goblin slaying with their existing funds?
  • Why is Goblin slayer unique in having a grudge against Goblins to the point that he's studied them?
  • How come it's not more common knowledge of Goblin attack patterns if they are so frequent?

There are more I could consider but the end result of these questions is a story where it's frustrating to think about how the fictional world operates because it's missing any underlying logic to it. Not exactly good storytelling and it's just another example of an incredibly mediocre story getting pushed to the forefront (with two manga adaptations and an upcoming anime).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The goblin requests keep getting handed off to new adventurers so the author has a reason to have them get raped, by the goblins, duder.

It's an actively malicious comic, more than lazy writing.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 13, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Charlz Guybon posted:

Berserk, sure, but Warhammer novels are not better written.

40k sure
Warhammer fantasy can be rad as gently caress though.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
I skimmed over the first chapter of Goblin Slayer back when it was translated (it was trash), does the author ever try to justify why female adventurers should be sent to clean out goblins even though raping human females is their only means of reproduction? Or indeed why the group in the first chapter consists mostly of women? Seems like a bit of an oversight!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I had a dude at work bring up Goblin Slayer, that was an awkward conversation and I'm glad he's since switched gears to talking about MHA and some Mimic LN.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The concept is interesting "what if we told a story from the perspective of a background character" is a novel idea. But the execution has the setting bending over backwards to make Goblins some major threat relative to everywhere the titular character exists instead of being the nuisance they are told to be. Mostly by having people just behave completely unrealistic in the face of the danger they actually present. I've only read the first novel but the starting setting is a frontier so far away from the actual front-line of fighting that they don't even get news of the demon lord's defeat for a couple days. If Goblins are the most prevalent attacking force to the point that the Guild officials are stated to actually want a dedicated goblin extermination force I ask the following questions:
  • Why do goblin quests keep getting handed off to complete newbies who by the stories own admission; will fail 3/4 times on average
  • Why don't goblin slaying quests get subsidized by the guild if they know low pay from the requester is the reason more capable adventurers don't take them
  • Related to the previous point, how do these poor villages also manage to pay for troll exterminations or other higher ranking monsters if they are too poor to get decent adventurers for goblin slaying with their existing funds?
  • Why is Goblin slayer unique in having a grudge against Goblins to the point that he's studied them?
  • How come it's not more common knowledge of Goblin attack patterns if they are so frequent?

Thats like asking why the Imperium is so stupid. They always letting feral ork infestations get out of control and they turn into sector shattering Waaaghs. It's because the Imperium is fighting the forces of chaos, the tyrannids, the necrons, already established ork empires etc which are all worse.

The Goblins are civilization destroying menace and everything else running around the world is worse. IIRC the novels imply the world has been destroyed before, but the Gods just recreate it to keep playing the game.

We see the guild subsidize payment when the goblin army marches on the cow girls farm. Plenty of higher ranked adventures signed up because the money made the danger worth while.

The poor villages don't because they can't afford it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Thats like asking why the Imperium is so stupid. They always letting feral ork infestations get out of control and they turn into sector shattering Waaaghs. It's because the Imperium is fighting the forces of chaos, the tyrannids, the necrons, already established ork empires etc which are all worse.
I'm not defending the writing of 40k either. But there is at least more reason for the Imperium to not be able to stop a single Ork waaagh than it is for this frontier region to not take goblins serious. If this story took place on the front lines where the Hero character was fighting I would understand but it's not. This take place on the opposite side of the country in a place that only seems to deal with the smaller threats, of which Goblins are the most numerous. Maybe the manga paints a different picture but I wouldn't know about that.

quote:

The Goblins are civilization destroying menace and everything else running around the world is worse. IIRC the novels imply the world has been destroyed before, but the Gods just recreate it to keep playing the game.
The novel also state that the Guild recognizes goblins are a threat and want a direct counter to them. So why haven't they instated any policies that would help like banning the lowest ranking people from taking these jobs or even just giving basic training themselves? Why wait until the Main character shows up and basically introduces some common sense policies? Because this story is about making the guy who is supposed to be unremarkable remarkable by virtue of everyone else being less intelligent than he is.

quote:

We see the guild subsidize payment when the goblin army marches on the cow girls farm. Plenty of higher ranked adventures signed up because the money made the danger worth while.
When it's the Main character's home at stake. If it's in their power to ensure that more qualified people can take a job by bolstering the reward money themselves, and they want goblins dead, why haven't they been paying out in the past?

It's not a good setting dude.

------------------------------------------

All that being said: there is a new chapter of Kumika no Mikaku so if you're down for a rom-com with aliens learning about the wonders of earth food it's worth a look.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno if i buy the setting of kumika no mikaku. i mean, where's the rape?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

We see the guild subsidize payment when the goblin army marches on the cow girls farm.
excuse me, what

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

All that being said: there is a new chapter of Kumika no Mikaku so if you're down for a rom-com with aliens learning about the wonders of earth food it's worth a look.

That sort of reminds me of this series I heard of where fantasy creatures come to modern times, overindulge on the tasty food, and have to learn how to lose weight, and one of those creatures is a skeleton.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm loling at the world-building brought up to justify goblin rape

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

That sort of reminds me of this series I heard of where fantasy creatures come to modern times, overindulge on the tasty food, and have to learn how to lose weight, and one of those creatures is a skeleton.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai is the name. It also got picked up by Seven Seas for an official english translation under the title Plus-Sized Elf. The series is pretty funny and Dark elf is best girl. :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai is the name. It also got picked up by Seven Seas for an official english translation under the title Plus-Sized Elf. The series is pretty funny and Dark elf is best girl. :colbert:

Look at this fool who doesn't realise that Ogre is best girl :colbert:

Anyhow, the latest chapter of Spotted Flower (translated in Italian, not yet in English) is better than the recent chapters, if only because it constantly shits onto not-Madarame for being a terrible person.

Just a quick and dirty translation to get the meaning:

Page 1: Kuchiki tells Madarame "Ah, you went and did it". Madarame tries to defend himself by saying that Kuchiki's not one to judge, since he's also in a love triangle.

Page 2: Kuchiki says "No, you've cheated on your wife who'd just given birth. And besides my situation's different, everyone involved is on the same page and agrees to it."

Page 3: Madarame remembers his college days, and says he's got no clue why his wife and her ex split up, but he's happy about it.

Page 4: K: "It's probably because she didn't want to marry someone who's that big of an otaku. So you've won, because he's super unhappy..."

Page 5: K: "...since he even had to see his ex give birth to your daughter. And besides, you're not thinking about your daughter."

Page 6: K: "You should think about her happiness before anything else, shouldn't you?" M: "Yeah, but I fear I just see her as a symbol of my insecurities." K: "Boy, you're really an rear end in a top hat, you know that?"

Page 7: M: "But it's fine! Since the person I cheated on my wife with can't have children, I don't have to worry about anything!" K: "You're a triple rear end in a top hat. Why did I ever offer to supply you with an alibi?"

Page 8: M: "And further, since I was the one who got hosed up the rear end, it's extra impossible for a child to be born out of wedlock!" K: "...Why don't you just shut up?"

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

40k sure
Warhammer fantasy can be rad as gently caress though.
The Slayer series was a guilty pleasure of mine back in the day. Felix really had a rough go of things, and from what I heard, his ending is he is stranded in the middle of the chaos wastes to slowly starve to death after gotrek goes missing