Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So my copy of the Gravity Falls box set came in, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it thus far. The commentatries are absolutely top notch-Alex is an incredibly funny guy to listen to, there's very little dead air, and he and his fellow crew members go into a ton of great detail on how the show was made and the genesis of some of the show's best jokes. Definitely worth the money if you're a fan of the show and haven't ordered it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/dragonprinceoff/status/1016774642911010816

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
"The head writer of ATLA" could mean several things Do they mean Aaron Ehasz? It would be his first shot at being a show runner/creator.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

"The head writer of ATLA" could mean several things Do they mean Aaron Ehasz? It would be his first shot at being a show runner/creator.

Yes, there's a bit more information here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/10/netflixs-the-dragon-prince-new-animated-series-from-avatar-the-last-airbender-writer-announced

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kefkafloyd posted:

...I wonder why he wasn’t brought in for Korra? Also holy poo poo he wrote one of my favorite episodes of FuturemanFuturama, I had no idea.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2018

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

lelandjs posted:

...I wonder why he wasn’t brought in for Korra? Also holy poo poo he wrote one of my favorite episodes of Futureman, I had no idea.

Yeah, his work on ATLA, Futurama, and Mission Hill make me hopeful. They also have one of my favorite ATLA directors Giancarlo Volpe doing executive producer work. He's done a ton of stuff, most recently Star Vs.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Yeah, his work on ATLA, Futurama, and Mission Hill make me hopeful. They also have one of my favorite ATLA directors Giancarlo Volpe doing executive producer work. He's done a ton of stuff, most recently Star Vs.

I guess it hurts a little less now.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

lelandjs posted:

...I wonder why he wasn’t brought in for Korra? Also holy poo poo he wrote one of my favorite episodes of FuturemanFuturama, I had no idea.

I believe he was busy working on other shows at the time.

I'm really curious to see how this pans out. I imagine the writing won't definitely be an issue, but I am mildly concerned over the choice of animation studio, since they're apparently not a traditional 2D one, but rather use cel-shaded 3D. Which if you ask me usually looks pretty bad, so it's a mild point of concern so far for me.

e: Scratch that. The studio is actually Bardel Entertainment, and according to their site at least they do work on both standard 2D and CGI stuff like most animation studios these days so nevermind, bad source

https://twitter.com/bardelent/status/1016826592977346566

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 11, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Nickelodeon produced this pretty good short about a pretty good boy (feat. Dana Snyder)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_NLCl_LbFU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So my copy of the Gravity Falls box set came in, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it thus far. The commentatries are absolutely top notch-Alex is an incredibly funny guy to listen to, there's very little dead air, and he and his fellow crew members go into a ton of great detail on how the show was made and the genesis of some of the show's best jokes. Definitely worth the money if you're a fan of the show and haven't ordered it already.

I can second this. Still makes me wish there were more episodes of the show and reminds me of how bitter I was over the rushed finale (and walking back on Pacifica's character development).

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I understand why Alex kept it at two seasons, but I still think three seasons would have given a bit more time to develop the secondary main characters a bit.

I'm debating whether to get the Blu-Ray or DVD of that box set and I'm not sure if it'll even make a difference.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1016789239579774977

https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1015702079682367488

The new TMNT looks incredible, drat. The ending of Raph's trailer also had me rolling.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's weird that Ralph is the leader in this iteration.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

nerdman42 posted:

I understand why Alex kept it at two seasons, but I still think three seasons would have given a bit more time to develop the secondary main characters a bit.

I'm debating whether to get the Blu-Ray or DVD of that box set and I'm not sure if it'll even make a difference.

My understanding is that the content is identical so it really comes down to whether you want to shell out the extra cash for ~quality~

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nerdman42 posted:

Have you seen animated content at DVD resolution scaled to a modern TV? It's not pretty.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My Steven Universe DVDs have seemed basically fine, in my experience

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

nerdman42 posted:

My Steven Universe DVDs have seemed basically fine, in my experience

That's just what you think. Underneath it all, your soul is crying.

Like gay space rocks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaunab posted:

It's weird that Ralph is the leader in this iteration.

Yeah it is confusing to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Continuing to watch Legend of the Three Caballeros... it's okay, but I can kinda see why Disney didn't promote it hugely. It looks relatively high-budget but it doesn't really elevate the source material or go for a more developed take like the new DuckTales. I think it's a show that would have been highly regarded in the late 90s or 00s but is fairly background noise now. Though I do like what they''ve done with April, May and June. (though damned if I can tell them apart, even if they're clearly going for differentiating them a little)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FilthyImp posted:

Have you seen animated content at DVD resolution scaled to a modern TV? It's not pretty.

I mean if you don't have a decent upscaler, yeah, but if you do, animation takes simple upscaling way better than live-action stuff in my experience

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's even weirder that Leo, lacking his one personality trait of "is the leader," is compensating by making puns, which I would expect more from Mikey.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I’m not too familiar with the characters, but judging from what they’ve done with the designs I’d bet that they’re doing the “learning what they’re best at” origin thing, and at some point the roles will revert to their normal place.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Making Raph the leader is the only way to prevent him from being sidelined like always.

So like always he'll be kicked out for Leo being better at everything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Adventure Time Minecraft thing is just really offputting.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Making Raph the leader is the only way to prevent him from being sidelined like always.

Yeah, I've noticed in a lot of series with group casts, whenever there's a character whose main trait is "loves fighting," especially if it's "kind of dumb and loves fighting" and they're not the leader/main protagonist, they end up being sidelined a lot or ending up as kind of a joke character, since they end up just being kind of a dumber weaker version of the leader/main protagonist.

Main exception I can think of offhand though is Grovy from Wakfu, who kind of starts out as joke character but elevates to deuteragonist mid-season 1.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Waffleman_ posted:

The Adventure Time Minecraft thing is just really offputting.

Had to google it and man, those sure are some ugly ole Minecraft visuals, exactly how I like my cute and expressive shows.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, I've noticed in a lot of series with group casts, whenever there's a character whose main trait is "loves fighting," especially if it's "kind of dumb and loves fighting" and they're not the leader/main protagonist, they end up being sidelined a lot or ending up as kind of a joke character, since they end up just being kind of a dumber weaker version of the leader/main protagonist.

Main exception I can think of offhand though is Grovy from Wakfu, who kind of starts out as joke character but elevates to deuteragonist mid-season 1.

Sokka in Avatar is probably my favorite example of this, where because he almost immediately became the weakest character by an insane degree his role ends up completely inverted by the end (dumb and aggressive vs skilled and smart).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

McTimmy posted:

Raphael gets sidelined? Because I remember him getting a lot of focus in 2k3 and the 2012 series.

Heck, the CGI movie from a decade ago mostly focused on him and Leo too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nodosaur posted:

Raphael gets sidelined? Because I remember him getting a lot of focus in 2k3 and the 2012 series.

He was a big part of the plot in the old live-action movie, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zerilan posted:

Kinda weird given I recall usually Raph's thing isn't just 'loves fighting' but tending to be bad tempered and aggressive to the point where he frequently goes off to do his own thing when nothing else is keeping him occupied, like in the CG movie where he becomes a biker vigilante. That, and he almost always defeats Leo in combat when they fight. (probably because his sais are specifically anti-sword weapons)

Probably likely that they're starting from page one with character development in the new show, where Raph is the default leader because he's the biggest, strongest and most enthusiastic about combat, while Leo is apparently more desperate to prove himself as a result. (reminds me a but of Dewey vs Huey from the new DuckTales, even the same colours) Though does contrast a bit with the 2012 show, where Splinter said he made Leo the leader of his brothers simply because Leo was the first to volunteer for it. Being pro-active and taking on responsibility is a good leader trait.

mycot posted:

Sokka in Avatar is probably my favorite example of this, where because he almost immediately became the weakest character by an insane degree his role ends up completely inverted by the end (dumb and aggressive vs skilled and smart).

A lot of it starts out with Sokka being justifiably insecure and spending most of the early episodes (and the whole show really) as the butt of the jokes because he's trying to be the big tough guy, especially since he's the oldest male left in his tribe when everyone else has gone off to fight the Fire Nation, but can't keep up with people with literal superpowers, so instead he starts focusing on intelligence and cunning, which he turns out to be very good at. Basically, he's been trying to live up to expectations that he's really not suited for. (Also fitting that his sword teacher is a Fire Nation warrior whose parents were Firebenders but he wasn't, so he knows what it's like having to compensate for lacking relatively common superpowers)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Jesus, the Bay turtles are a decade old now? I feel so old...

VVVV: Thank Christ

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 16, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Jesus, the Bay turtles are a decade old now? I feel so old...

Nope, wrong movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMNT_(film)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

mycot posted:

My favorite thing about how skilled Sokka was later on is that while hiding out in an enemy nation he managed to craft functional metal armor for a massive one of a kind creature.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sokka also got laid.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Zuko got laid too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
...together?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was gonna assume that was gonna end if this Leo wasn't - uh, I guess a misplaced Raph from the 87 cartoon that's obsessed with bad jokes. He looks thinner than they made Donatello.

Like Leo is usually around Raph's size to show that they've competed or that it'd be believable that they could fight, but Raph here looks like he's already a drat 20 something and Leo looks like he couldn't give a poo poo about RULES OR LEADERSHIP. Which kind of probably cuts into their typical characters a bit because, well, what's Raph gonna be mad about now? How Splinter is always on his rear end for not being efficient enough in leadership?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 16, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Crabtree posted:

I was gonna assume that was gonna end if this Leo wasn't - uh, I guess a misplaced Raph from the 87 cartoon that's obsessed with bad jokes. He looks thinner than they made Donatello.

Like Leo is usually around Raph's size to show that they've competed or that it'd be believable that they could fight, but Raph here looks like he's already a drat 20 something and Leo looks like he couldn't give a poo poo about RULES OR LEADERSHIP. Which kind of probably cuts into their typical characters a bit because, well, what's Raph gonna be mad about now? How Splinter is always on his rear end for not being efficient enough in leadership?

A bit funny given the TMNT all looked identical originally and every cartoon has gone further and further in differentiating them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A bit funny given the TMNT all looked identical originally and every cartoon has gone further and further in differentiating them.

For a while the 1987 toon's color scheme (which they had to do because how they gonna tell them apart) and the initial 2 films with a little bit of Mirage really painted how the turtles transformed and showed up in most media. Because of standards of the time and likely because it was just easier for Rob Paulson to be a snarky guy instead of an aggressive kind of jerk that Raph typically can be, the red turtle was just really sarcastic about everything, including the fact that they were a cartoon and about how much of a space cadet Mikey is. Its honestly like the only time Raph's been almost completely passive-aggressive outside of a fight scene. But even back in their initial version, Raph was arguably one of the most teenage and relatable of the Turtles because he always acted like no one got him.

You can still do that here, but I'm curious to see how different this actually is and if they're really going to stick with this and not just a season. Because if you wanna be "different" in some ways, then stick with it. At least April will hopefully be black and not switch to white at the last minute because assholes whined it isn't the 2012 version.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, actually looking at this Raph and Donnie are actually the oldest of the brothers, thus they're bigger and more developed than little Leo and Mikey. So good job, Rise of the TMNT, your visual design worked! poo poo, its like this show was a conspiracy of Raph and Donnie fans to make a series that made them better.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/16/she-ra-see-photos-noelle-stevenson/

She-Ra's looking pretty rad.