Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wow, this will be the fifth feature length special to have Mewtwo in a starring role. (M01, Mewtwo Returns, Mastermind, M16, M22)

The Genesect movie was only 5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And since it sounds like a reimagining of M01, it sounds like they're still running with the movie-exclusive rebooted continuity, which is cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And since it sounds like a reimagining of M01, it sounds like they're still running with the movie-exclusive rebooted continuity, which is cool.

It's kind of weird though we still haven't gotten a movie that actually takes place in the timeline of the current Sun & Moon anime (which might actually be a first for this series).

Speaking of which, I'm not completely caught up yet but how far along is the current season at this point? Since they still haven't announced a proper next gen game yet (that is, something that isn't a remake) I'm kind of curious what their plans for the future are. It would be a nice change of pace if Ash's journey actually ended in this season and they decided to start fresh with a new protagonist, I highly doubt it though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 13, 2018

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

It's kind of weird though we still haven't gotten a movie that actually takes place in the timeline of the current Sun & Moon anime (which might actually be a first for this series).

The way the current anime is set up doesn't really allow for a movie to be easily slotted in anyway: Alola consists of only four islands so there's no decent place for an anime exclusive location, Ash is living in Professor Kukui's beach house rather then traveling around and there are five companion characters to juggle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

The way the current anime is set up doesn't really allow for a movie to be easily slotted in anyway: Alola consists of only four islands so there's no decent place for an anime exclusive location, Ash is living in Professor Kukui's beach house rather then traveling around and there are five companion characters to juggle.

Fair point (plus they've already done the whole Nebby/Ultra Beast saga in the anime itself at this point so I'm not sure what's left from the game that they could mine for a potential movie). Doing something with the extra content that Ultra Sun/Moon added in might potentially work though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 13, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
easy, just say there's a fifth island that nobody talks about or goes to because it was used for weapons testing during the war that lt surge fought in

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alola is also a pretty efficiently laid out region, there's not a lot of implied space to fill like there is with the other regions with towns separated by longer routes.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Well, if you wanna get the most out of moon, you can go and search out all 100 Zygarde Cells/Cores to get the Zygarde with Power Construct (be sure to try him out so you can see Complete Form in action; he effectively gets a huge heal when it triggers due to his base HP going up).

Also, there's a postgame miniplot with Looker where you go around catching all the Ultra Beasts that got loose, culminating in finding Necrozma, who is not technically an Ultra Beast, at the end. Plus you could go after the four Tapu's.

I feel like all this is probably in Ultra Sun/Moon as well right?

Edit:VVV Ah okay. I'm not really digging the zygarde collecting, can I start that over in USUM with a guide as I play, or is that a SM exclusive thing?

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 13, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While USUM is more or less identical to SM (like all third versions, really), the story climax, postgame and collectables are different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nitramster posted:

I feel like all this is probably in Ultra Sun/Moon as well right?

Edit:VVV Ah okay. I'm not really digging the zygarde collecting, can I start that over in USUM with a guide as I play, or is that a SM exclusive thing?

It's a SM thing, USUM cuts it entirely in favour of Totem stickers and just gives you the Zygarde instead as it should have in the first place. Do not collect the Zygarde Cells, it's not worth it. Do play the Looker missions if you haven't, they're super good and nothing similar appears in USUM.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Broly 4 this year but Mewtwo 4 is next year.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Wouldn't be Sugimori without broken legs and awkward angles everywhere

Is it even Sugimori anymore, though?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Terper posted:

Yo the crystal clear romhack by Shockslayer is super cool

i tried playing the twitch plays pokemon anniversary crystal hack and only made it to pewter before i got sick of how stiff gen 2 feels

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

also the splotchy painterly style and shortened proportions on the let's go art are really good and i wish it didnt look like a lovely mobile game in the actual game

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ruggington posted:

also the splotchy painterly style and shortened proportions on the let's go art are really good and i wish it didnt look like a lovely mobile game in the actual game

I just wish it wasn't a Go spinoff. Following Pokemon, buffing the starter in both stats and moveset to compensate for not being able to evolve it, I like several of the features I've seen so far. I'll just take consolation in the fact that it is in fact just a spin-off to tide us over until Gen 8 next year.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I can't wait to watch Mewtwo murder a bunch of dudes again.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
maybe this time, ash stays stoned................................?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They realize they can't just keep milking Kanto forever, right? That, no matter how good the original games/movies/anime were, things have changed and won't receive the same positive reception again...right?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hellioning posted:

They realize they can't just keep milking Kanto forever, right? That, no matter how good the original games/movies/anime were, things have changed and won't receive the same positive reception again...right?

Did you miss the insane media blitz when Go first launched?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dizz posted:

maybe this time, ash stays stoned................................?

the only stoned thing at this showing is going to be me, and i guess anyone else who saw the first pokemon movie as a kid

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Star Man posted:

I thin it's supposed to sail underneath the bike path because the bike path is a bridge.

where does it go after that though? straight through the rocky barriers that stop you straying out of the routes to and from seafoam islands?

Crosspeice posted:

As far as I could tell, the map is pretty much identical to FRLG, no new areas as far as I can see, which is a shame, since Kanto's general route design of have a maze with 20 trainers in it to inflate the level curve is, well, poo poo.

what the hell kind of opinion is this? "a maze with 20 trainers in it" is the best kind of route design.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don’t mind that the new game is literally just red and blue because I thought that was the point

Like I’m sure most Pokemon fans are younger than those games at this point anyway. Launching a remake of the first movie at the same time makes sense too, Pokemon is at an age where they can just recycle their entire IP like how Marvel movies are all just retellings old comics

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

having access to unlimited shiny celebis is like being able to trade pure gold.
I now have a box full of shiny legendaries, and 2 boxes full of shinies with perfect stats

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it seems like these days gamers are more interested in “access to shiny legendaries”, than they are access to “God”

oddium fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 13, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hellioning posted:

Bud, we've had seven generations. Of those, five (1, 2, 3, 4, 7) have Kanto, one (6) emulates areas of it, and the last one (5) tries to modernize aspects of it such as Pokemon selection.

Kanto loving sells. It's awful, because it tells Game Freak "never actually improve", but it's real. They'll keep reusing it to the ends of time as lovely and outdated as it is. In fact, they've only gotten worse at pushing nostalgia, now that the fanbase is old and cranky, with poo poo like Alolan forms being limited to Gen 1 Pokemon and Alola in general having a ridiculously Kanto-heavy dex.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s like Skyrim’s’ Todd Howard: "That's why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it.” GF is just giving people what they want and as long as the money keeps going their way they’ll keep at it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ruggington posted:

I could actually see frame drops in the second trailer, which was quite something to behold, as it wasn't during a battle, it was literally just the character running along a route

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Vinylshadow posted:

I could actually see frame drops in the second trailer, which was quite something to behold, as it wasn't during a battle, it was literally just the character running along a route

How is that even possible? The graphics and engine sure aren't testing the Switch's limits.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

again, do some of you not realize that the last actual iteration of the gen 1 games came out 15 years ago

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Johnny Joestar posted:

again, do some of you not realize that the last actual iteration of the gen 1 games came out 15 years ago

Absolutely. I was hoping for a remake of generation 1, actually! FRLG was maddeningly conservative, and I would love to see a fleshed out Kanto with modern design and production values. Problem is, it looks like just another FRLG style minimalist remake right down to the tile-based layouts, and the production values are shockingly low for a full priced Switch game.

If you're a veteran to the series, you've probably done Kanto in one of the 4 separate core games it's been in. If you're a little kid or new to the series, you still deserve modern design and not 1996 portable game design. This is crummy for both camps.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I realize it because I'm very smart and have perspective

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Johnny Joestar posted:

My tipping point is another mewtwo movie. Lets Go is a fine idea, but the gen 1 stuff piles up. If we get yet another neat stuff to modernize pokemon in gen 8 but its almost exclusive to the kantodex, ill be annoyed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure they're going to make a new series out of it all, moving to gen 2 after this one inevitably sells incredibly well since it's aiming at a 'parents of young kids who enjoyed pokemon and want to share it' and 'people who were introduced through pokemon go' demographic

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mizuti posted:

Absolutely. I was hoping for a remake of generation 1, actually! FRLG was maddeningly conservative, and I would love to see a fleshed out Kanto with modern design and production values.

:same:

Something I really liked about HG/SS was the addition of the Safari Zone to Johto and the routes around it. Seeing familiar stuff expanded is pretty cool. When the rumour dropped that we'd be revisiting Kanto I had hopes of some kind of expansion or design. When it got shown off as related to GO and focused on the original 151, I knew that'd we'd be in for something way more conservative.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mizuti posted:

Absolutely. I was hoping for a remake of generation 1, actually! FRLG was maddeningly conservative, and I would love to see a fleshed out Kanto with modern design and production values. Problem is, it looks like just another FRLG style minimalist remake right down to the tile-based layouts, and the production values are shockingly low for a full priced Switch game.

If you're a veteran to the series, you've probably done Kanto in one of the 4 separate core games it's been in. If you're a little kid or new to the series, you still deserve modern design and not 1996 portable game design. This is crummy for both camps.

I don't like having Kanto again in general after, again, four different games that had it and several others that copied its layouts, but yeah, the main issue here is that this does absolutely nothing to improve on over 20-years-old design. It's back to a grid after SM broke free of it, 90 degrees angles are a thing despite this being a Switch game, it's cute-looking but definitely nowhere near what the Switch can do (which is an issue with Pokemon, a franchise known for pushing its systems beyond their limits), you're still limited to 150 Pokemon (151 if you want to pay more!) for no logical reason (not even Go, since Go has up to the third gen now), and whatever changes it does have are entirely superficial or pointless.

Basically, I fully agree with your post. That this is a full price Switch game is insane.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I can't wait for the deep philosophical debates in M22

Maybe this time the english dub won't utterly butcher the message the movie was trying to send (Fighting is Bad in a series where cockfighting is literally the core mechanic is hysterical)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

pikachu's vacation loving rules tho

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Oxyclean posted:

:same:

Something I really liked about HG/SS was the addition of the Safari Zone to Johto and the routes around it. Seeing familiar stuff expanded is pretty cool. When the rumour dropped that we'd be revisiting Kanto I had hopes of some kind of expansion or design. When it got shown off as related to GO and focused on the original 151, I knew that'd we'd be in for something way more conservative.

HGSS-style was the kind of remake I was hoping for. It expanded and improved the experience massively (terrible leveling curve and poor Pokémon distribution aside) and added tons of quality of life features, secrets, and fun little touches. The graphics and sound quality also got an appropriate bump up to 2010 standards. I think it's the best remake Pokémon's had, and I got the impression the developers put a lot of love into it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like ORAS did a good job with remaking too, aside from the fact that for some reason it used R/S gym teams instead of the Emerald ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like ORAS did a good job with remaking too, aside from the fact that for some reason it used R/S gym teams instead of the Emerald ones.

Nah, it added lots of pointless teleporting and handholding, removed all the Emerald updates (not only Gyms, but every single thing), and didn't even use every feature from Gen 6, even if it had some really interesting changes like the completely revamped Mauville, heavily changed enemy teams and small plot changes that overall make Magma and Aqua far more interesting than before, not to mention the Delta Episode.

It should've just been Delta Emerald. HGSS had all the Crystal elements, but there they weren't quite as big as having both teams as enemies, so that was really the only acceptable choice.