Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Violator posted:

What’s the best way to access my files remotely? I’d like to be able to access the files on my iMac, external storage, etc. at home while working mobile. I’ve been using Back To My Mac and the built in screen sharing but they’re the absolute dirt worst. I’m was using a 200Mb connection remotely to connect to my home 200Mb connection and BTMM is so slow that it kept timing out and wouldn’t even reliably show a file listing in the Finder.

I’m hoping to avoid “just put everything in Dropbox” because I work with a lot of media files that I only sometimes need access to. Any suggestions? A different app, service, or something that integrates into Transmit as a file transfer intermediary?

I’ve tried Screens as a VNC client, but I’m hoping to find something that is quick and simple for file access.

Teamviewer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Violator posted:

What’s the best way to access my files remotely? I’d like to be able to access the files on my iMac, external storage, etc. at home while working mobile. I’ve been using Back To My Mac and the built in screen sharing but they’re the absolute dirt worst. I’m was using a 200Mb connection remotely to connect to my home 200Mb connection and BTMM is so slow that it kept timing out and wouldn’t even reliably show a file listing in the Finder.

I’m hoping to avoid “just put everything in Dropbox” because I work with a lot of media files that I only sometimes need access to. Any suggestions? A different app, service, or something that integrates into Transmit as a file transfer intermediary?

I’ve tried Screens as a VNC client, but I’m hoping to find something that is quick and simple for file access.

I think the best way is to use a VPN, preferably running on your router so your iMac isn't even aware of it. The 2nd best thing is probably just port forwarding ssh and using transmit with that, both of these options require ddns which can be a pain to set up.

Then there is stuff that requires 3rd party servers like Teamview and Splashtop but I don't like trusting more people than necessary.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Violator posted:

I’ve been using Back To My Mac and the built in screen sharing but they’re the absolute dirt worst. I’m was using a 200Mb connection remotely to connect to my home 200Mb connection and BTMM is so slow that it kept timing out and wouldn’t even reliably show a file listing in the Finder.

It is unlikely that your home 200Mb connection is 200 down / 200 up. Home ISPs almost always sell extremely asymmetric service, eg 200 down / 10 up. When you use something like BTMM to access files or your screen remotely, you’re leaning on the slow uplink side. If you want to know how slow it is, try Speedtest.net to get a measurement.

Unfortunately what this means is that you should prepare to be disappointed no matter what you try.

Violator
May 15, 2003

BobHoward posted:

It is unlikely that your home 200Mb connection is 200 down / 200 up. Home ISPs almost always sell extremely asymmetric service, eg 200 down / 10 up. When you use something like BTMM to access files or your screen remotely, you’re leaning on the slow uplink side. If you want to know how slow it is, try Speedtest.net to get a measurement.

Unfortunately what this means is that you should prepare to be disappointed no matter what you try.

That's actually a good point and I need to calibrate my expectations accordingly. Speedtest is showing about 11 up so you're exactly right.

I'm going to investigate what you guys suggested and report back once I get something working. Thanks for the tips.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BobHoward posted:

It is unlikely that your home 200Mb connection is 200 down / 200 up. Home ISPs almost always sell extremely asymmetric service, eg 200 down / 10 up.

:smuggo: (ta emot = receive; skicka = send).

Unfortunately, this has long since been fixed and I'm only getting the speeds I pay for these days…

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

I think the best way is to use a VPN, preferably running on your router so your iMac isn't even aware of it. The 2nd best thing is probably just port forwarding ssh and using transmit with that, both of these options require ddns which can be a pain to set up.

Then there is stuff that requires 3rd party servers like Teamview and Splashtop but I don't like trusting more people than necessary.

Yeah I recommend plugging in a raspberry pi and running pivpn if your router doesn’t support it. Should be way more reliable since you’re just accessing directories instead of an entire mirrored display from your computer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Violator posted:

BitTorrent Sync maybe?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tippis posted:

:smuggo: (ta emot = receive; skicka = send).

Unfortunately, this has long since been fixed and I'm only getting the speeds I pay for these days…

When I wrote my post I was at work and went to speedtest.net just for a lark, knowing that I'd get some hilariously amazing number. I wasn't disappointed: 800/800.

our connection's actually not-making GBS threads-you 25 times faster than that, twin 10G fiber is a hell of a drug

i only saw 800 because the usb3 gigabit ethernet adapter I was using to connect my computer to our LAN was the limiting factor, the 10G network isn't built out to every desk

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It saddens me that in 2002, my connection was in a uni dorm on ja.net and our connections were 10/10 in each room. Now 16 years later, I still have that same lovely 10-12mbit upstream.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

It saddens me that in 2002, my connection was in a uni dorm on ja.net and our connections were 10/10 in each room. Now 16 years later, I still have that same lovely 10-12mbit upstream.

I have 6 down and 0.2 up so yeah

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was just living in rural Alberta and my internet was terrible until I called the CRTC because the ISP clearly didn’t plan on delivering the speeds I was paying for, or anyone else in my area. They also have a monopoly so... :shrug:

Sometimes my ping would be 1.5 seconds. One bad week the speed was 200/10... kb/s.

All this for $75 a month and it took them four weeks to install it.

After the CRTC harassment, it went to a more reasonable 3-5 down and 1-2 up with latency of like 80ms. Still not the 10 I was sold though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a recommendation for a replacement for photo printing out of Photos? My wife makes family calendars every year and is now a bit grumpy since Apple is killing off their service.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there a recommendation for a replacement for photo printing out of Photos? My wife makes family calendars every year and is now a bit grumpy since Apple is killing off their service.

I've been making my GF a photo album every year since we started going out using iPhoto/Photos and this is such bad news for me 😭😭

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Guess you guys forgot about

https://shutterfly.com

They have an iOS app and a whole website devoted to making photo books from collections you upload or off your phone.. they even have a summer sale going on now..

Also get your photos on pillows, blankets, mugs, framed prints, all kinds of stuff..

About the only thing you lose is being able to do it right from Photos..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 13, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They're getting rid of it? That sucks. I just started using it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Guess you guys forgot about

https://shutterfly.com

They have an iOS app and a whole website devoted to making photo books from collections you upload or off your phone.. they even have a summer sale going on now..

Also get your photos on pillows, blankets, mugs, framed prints, all kinds of stuff..

About the only thing you lose is being able to do it right from Photos..

It does look like Shutterfly has a plugin to integrate with Photos (although it has awful reviews), I was more curious about recommendations based on product quality, etc.\

Mimeo looks like it has calendars and good reviews, maybe we'll order some sample stuff through there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I install Windows 10 to an external hard drive via Bootcamp (google says it’s possible, just us a long convoluted process) will macOS complain if I try to boot up macOS without the external hard drive connected? I don’t think it should complain at all but just thought I’d ask if anyone’s tried it.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I install Windows 10 to an external hard drive via Bootcamp (google says it’s possible, just us a long convoluted process) will macOS complain if I try to boot up macOS without the external hard drive connected? I don’t think it should complain at all but just thought I’d ask if anyone’s tried it.

Nope you’ll be fine. I did this with an external ssd for a while.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Apple Photos printing stuff was always really high quality, we used them a few times for calendars and things and they all still look good, nothing is faded or anything.

Maybe someone knows who their printing provider was and you can go directly through them?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

FCKGW posted:

The Apple Photos printing stuff was always really high quality, we used them a few times for calendars and things and they all still look good, nothing is faded or anything.

Maybe someone knows who their printing provider was and you can go directly through them?

I used the Google Photos book-maker option thing and the book came out very nice, if that's an option for you.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any good/not overly expensive Mac management solutions? I'm about giving up on profile manager.

Looking for something that can manage updates, push out network share shortcuts, push out software updates and pushing.

Have about 10 computers really only.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

lol internet. posted:

Any good/not overly expensive Mac management solutions? I'm about giving up on profile manager.

Looking for something that can manage updates, push out network share shortcuts, push out software updates and pushing.

Just to be clear, you need something that can push? :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

lol internet. posted:

Jamf Pro definitely can, and it's like $8/mo or something per machine, BUT you have to pay $5k to have someone spend 2 days teaching you to use it.

Not sure if the Jamf Now product will cover those bases, but it seems like it might and it's much more affordable.

eames
May 9, 2009

please take a moment to appreciate https://www.apple.com/leadership/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

eames posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Emoji_Day

21st century is weird

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

:hmmyes:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LOL, Barefeats STILL hasn't posted any benchmarks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That makes my skin crawl. It's like they have no souls.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

'oi govna! Looks like your face needs a REDESIGN!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

redeyes posted:

That makes my skin crawl. It's like they have no souls.

Yes, but that's nothing compared to the emoji representations. :stare:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

eames posted:

This is it. This is the worst thing Apple has ever done. Like I hate this worse than the original iMac mouse.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

eames posted:

I feel like I can either wait a few months for the next iPhone or get it right now for just a few gems

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

eames posted:

jesus loving christ

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I kinda want to see a Jobs emoji.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Housh posted:

I kinda want to see a Jobs emoji.
💀

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lmao

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:five:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I just realised it's """emoji day""" so maybe this is just temporary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

I just realised it's """emoji day""" so maybe this is just temporary

Its permanent. They already announced the next Keynote is going to be entirely in Animoji.