Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shout out to the guys who platooned with me tonight, we had some good games.

From the last session though, statbadder or bot?:

....aaaand this is why we can't have nice things (i.e. good tier 8 battles, with shitters like this in the game.)

Who the gently caress in their right mind spends hundreds of dollars on random premium tanks AND free XP to skip to the top of one of the most newbie-unfriendly lines in the game?!? :psyboom: And he/it's loving terrible in the Bat....

On the lighter side, I use the Hangar Manager or "HangMan" mod, specifically the "last battle" option that changes your garage to the end position of your tank from the last battle on that map. I had flipped myself the previous battle so this is what my garage looked like subsequently:

:haw:

Finally, here's the most evenly balanced match I can recall ever being in:

Bonus points to the guy who came up with the name "Blyatimir_Putin" too! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellsau posted:

Dude I fuckin' tried, but literally every game mechanic has gotten worse and none of the bad parts of the game have gotten better. I gave it a hundred games, it was poo poo, I quit, and then they added Province back into the game, so...

e: actually is Province worse than that Glacier map? That Glacier map was irredeemable, and at least Province let you abuse vision mechanics unless that's been changed.

I would rather have Province than glacier. Glacier was built for one thing only, for one team's retards to suicide dive. Even more so than Overlord is

ROFLburger posted:

especially prok and malinovka

I had a match on Prok the other night, no arty. We took the hill, all the guys mid had to do was spot poo poo and we could maul them. What happened? They all went to TD alley and got caught in a crossfire. I was almost at 5k damage in my T26E4 and had to watch my rewards be cut to pieces because other people are loving dumb

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 13, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SocketWrench posted:

I would rather have Province than glacier. Glacier was built for one thing only, for one team's retards to suicide dive. Even more so than Overlord is

I mean the correct way to play Glacier is to leave it. Just exit the battle. I mean yeah you could just drive towards the enemy and hope someone is there to spot and murder you but realistically just exiting the game and uninstalling World of Tanks is more efficient.

Not joking about it being irredeemable though. There is literally no part of the map that belongs in World of Tanks - you could not reduce any particular map square into something worthwhile.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

I wanted to quit, but I'm weak. I'm a bad tank junkie.

I kind of liked Province at first. Now that I've played it a few times I see that it's just another map that punishes aggressive play. But it's worse than a lot of maps because having a few more tanks than the other team doesn't offset the advantage of the team that camps and you cant start making plays until you have a really solid lead.

I don't like Glacier either. The whole idea of tanks fighting on a frozen bay with a half sunk aircraft carrier sticking straight up out of the ice is stupid and the huge areas you have to cross with out any cover is just crazy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

2Jets posted:

The whole idea of tanks fighting on a frozen bay with a half sunk aircraft carrier sticking straight up out of the ice is stupid

No, that idea is actually loving awesome and totally metal, it simply is totally non-functional in World of Tanks because of how basically every game mechanic works. It'd be cool if you could climb up on that giant....wing? in the middle of the west and actually contribute, but you can't actually shoot off of it due to gun depression limits and also you'll get instantly spotted from the south bush campers and also you'd get shot easily, and once you climb up there your sole option is to go back the way to came unless you want to swiftly leave the map in a flaming heap. It doesn't help that proxy spotting makes the entire northwest in a farce where you can't actually flank without eating a load of poo poo for your efforts.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

tanks fighting at a frozen bay with a half sunk aircraft carrier sticking straight up out of the ice is one of the million and one map concepts that would work great if the map team weren't some of the worst incompetents in the entire game industry

other stuff they've hosed up: tanks fighting on a rolling field; tanks fighting in a city; tanks fighting in a village; tanks fighting on sand dunes

actually why hasn't there been a proper forest map? the closest thing we've got is, like, east murovanka and that's barely an hectare

Prav fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 13, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Prav posted:

actually why hasn't there been a proper forest map? the closest thing we've got is, like, east murovanka and that's barely an hectare

Cause everyone remembers old murovanka, where by abusing camo you could light up everyone in the magic forest.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Cause everyone remembers old murovanka, where by abusing camo you could light up everyone in the magic forest.

not seeing the problem here

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Prav posted:

not seeing the problem here

That was the problem for everyone else :v:

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

Atomizer posted:

Shout out to the guys who platooned with me tonight, we had some good games.

On the lighter side, I use the Hangar Manager or "HangMan" mod, specifically the "last battle" option that changes your garage to the end position of your tank from the last battle on that map. I had flipped myself the previous battle so this is what my garage looked like subsequently:

I liked that we all ended up on our roofs at the end of that win as we desperately tried to hit the last guy hiding out. Good for a laugh.

Too bad the servers took a dump at the end there. We kept going after a few minutes spent trying to get back in. WoT was crashing every time it tried to launch for both of us.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pz. II J is on sale for $100 with a year of premium time.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

No, that idea is actually loving awesome and totally metal, it simply is totally non-functional in World of Tanks because of how basically every game mechanic works. It'd be cool if you could climb up on that giant....wing? in the middle of the west and actually contribute, but you can't actually shoot off of it due to gun depression limits and also you'll get instantly spotted from the south bush campers and also you'd get shot easily, and once you climb up there your sole option is to go back the way to came unless you want to swiftly leave the map in a flaming heap. It doesn't help that proxy spotting makes the entire northwest in a farce where you can't actually flank without eating a load of poo poo for your efforts.

Prav posted:

tanks fighting at a frozen bay with a half sunk aircraft carrier sticking straight up out of the ice is one of the million and one map concepts that would work great if the map team weren't some of the worst incompetents in the entire game industry

It seems like it'd be a better experience if it was a much larger map, like if it was made for Grand Battles or something. Instead, it's so small that if you're in anything slow you get immediately spotted from the center just for trying to move up the far East or West to get into position towards either of those corners, so your only real option is to camp. And that's how the incompetent map dev team manages to gently caress up map design.

Strike Anywhere posted:

I liked that we all ended up on our roofs at the end of that win as we desperately tried to hit the last guy hiding out. Good for a laugh.

Too bad the servers took a dump at the end there. We kept going after a few minutes spent trying to get back in. WoT was crashing every time it tried to launch for both of us.

Yeah I figured it was a good time to call it quits anyway. I wish our matches went a little better, but we still did well overall. My platoons went 59% for the day, and I even ran into Renn who I haven't seen in like a year! :neckbeard:

McGavin posted:

Sooo.....free Pz2J!!! :v:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McGavin posted:

No temptation for me. I have no desire to play those shitshow tiers when I get the same in the top tiers

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
gently caress I reinstalled after like two years christ why do I do this to myself

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Moatman posted:

gently caress I reinstalled after like two years christ why do I do this to myself

As I often say, "they occasionally return to this fine game that has no issues whatsoever." :confuoot:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hope you dont want to play tier 4 to 7 for the next month.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

serious gaylord posted:

Hope you dont want to play tier 4 to 7 for the next month.

Only on the EU though

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Wait, why again?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wait, why again?

https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/wot/filter/?cd=2113

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I see arty is still poo poo

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I love how DezGamez put it. "You are all hypocrites and assholes. You brought this on yourselves" when he found out the death duck won by a loving huge amount

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SocketWrench posted:

I love how DezGamez put it. "You are all hypocrites and assholes. You brought this on yourselves" when he found out the death duck won by a loving huge amount

Was that the video of the lefh getting 10 kills on Ensk too?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

World of Tanks: "You are all hypocrites and assholes. You brought this on yourselves"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

serious gaylord posted:

Was that the video of the lefh getting 10 kills on Ensk too?

Dunno what the kill count was, but yeah, he shelled the gently caress out of everything and carried the game

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Double post, so waht

[Click for Replay Link]

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Have they introduced flying Russian tanks based on captured experimental Nazi alien technology yet?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Story time?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hellsau posted:

Story time?

Not much to tell, it was Overlord map on my KV-1S.
Went East to HEAT derp at anything dumb enough to try and push the road and hills but ended up having to rush in and fast cap with a light and a TD. Everything on beach and cliffs got wrecked by the entire enemy team zerging in one direction. We managed to cap them out before they could turn back around and steam roll us off their cap cause they took the time to hunt down and massacre the arty which that guy was one of.

If I checked the replay he was probably pinging the map and telling us to come back and die with him.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So, I finally got the top gun for the T29 and every match I've played since has been a loss with me dying early. Is there a thing when a T29 rolls in everyone's supposed to run? Every. loving. Battle. Thus far has been me getting there and everyone taking off so I can get encircled.
Hell, one I got messaged by some gently caress named Momo bragging in the most assholish way possible about doing more damage in a KV-2 because the team ran off and left me alone to die

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

So, I finally got the top gun for the T29 and every match I've played since has been a loss with me dying early. Is there a thing when a T29 rolls in everyone's supposed to run? Every. loving. Battle. Thus far has been me getting there and everyone taking off so I can get encircled.
Hell, one I got messaged by some gently caress named Momo bragging in the most assholish way possible about doing more damage in a KV-2 because the team ran off and left me alone to die

it's not a literal unkillable murdermachine that you can just waltz into four enemy guns and expect to come out unscathed. You actually need to be able to show only your turret and have a place to back off while you reload so pubbies can't #snapshot snipe your cupola or directly down your gun barrel, at which point you can kill four enemies one by one and come out unscathed.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellsau posted:

it's not a literal unkillable murdermachine that you can just waltz into four enemy guns and expect to come out unscathed.
I don't do this

quote:

You actually need to be able to show only your turret and have a place to back off while you reload so pubbies can't #snapshot snipe your cupola or directly down your gun barrel, at which point you can kill four enemies one by one and come out unscathed.

This is what I try but like literally the team with me leaves or melts and then I just get overrun. Up to that point though it's great

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SocketWrench posted:

I don't do this

This is what I try but like literally the team with me leaves or melts and then I just get overrun. Up to that point though it's great

Don't push further up than you absolutely have to, find someplace you can hull down and or reverse to hide and for god sakes dont rely on your team stopping flankers or punishing suicide rushers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't remember exactly when I unlocked the A-44, but it was a long time ago now and it's still in my loving garage, barely halfway through the grind because I loathe taking it out.

Same goes for the Leo. Absolute poo poo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I don't remember exactly when I unlocked the A-44, but it was a long time ago now and it's still in my loving garage, barely halfway through the grind because I loathe taking it out.

Same goes for the Leo. Absolute poo poo.

Welcome to tier 7 mediums, my dude.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I liked the T20 and whatever the Chinese T7 medium was called.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

McGavin posted:

Welcome to tier 7 mediums, my dude.

Panther, Comet, T-43... I like these. These can do things.

BadLlama posted:

I liked the T20 and whatever the Chinese T7 medium was called.

These too. Still grinding the T20 and while it's unremarkable I never think "aw gently caress" when I see it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I quite enjoyed the Leo tbf.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Leo is loving rad and cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The Comet (and really the whole British med line) is insanely fun to play with a full camo crew.

I played tier 10 for the first time in a few years for the dumb blocking mission and ho boy is the IS-7 a monster in 3/5/7.