Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anyone know of any reputable places to buy Giger prints? I'd love to get some of his art for my next "office."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.newsarama.com/40787-william-gibson-s-scrapped-alien-3-gets-comic-book-adaptation.html

They're doing a comic book adaptation of William Gibson's Alien 3 script.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Covok posted:

https://www.newsarama.com/40787-william-gibson-s-scrapped-alien-3-gets-comic-book-adaptation.html

Unlike that "Frank Miller's RoboCop 2" comic from years back the people behind this are pretty talented so I'm excited.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Why does the UPP boarding vessel look exactly like a Colonial Marines dropship? Spitting mad already

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drat i was hoping it was the wooden monastery one where the alien pops out of the toilet

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Clipperton posted:

Why does the UPP boarding vessel look exactly like a Colonial Marines dropship? Spitting mad already
Same way the Buran looks remarkably like the Shuttle or the Tu-144 like Concorde: commie spies stole the plans. :haw:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

Hey what's the thread consensus on Convenant? I thought it was atrocious overall (oh my god the cgi not-chestbursters and the fight scenes urghhh) but did like the David and Walter scenes. Flute scene undoubtedly best scene in movie.

I liked Prometheus too. Had some of the same problems and plenty all its own but was actually interesting and about as original as a big budget SF film's ever going to be.

I just watched it last weekend and I thought it was Very Good though not quite as good/interesting as Prometheus

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Covok posted:

They could still make it! Into a movie.

Just call it Alien 3, no one cares about movie titles or numbering anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just watched it last weekend and I thought it was Very Good though not quite as good/interesting as Prometheus

From my experience Covenant is much, much better when you watch it in the "proper" setting, i.e. at night or in a room that's really dark(or obviously a theatre). I remember when I first bought in on blu ray I watched it in the middle of the afternoon with light coming in the windows of my apartment and there's glare on half the screen and all that nonsense. Definitely a much more immersive experience when you get the full effect of the lighting in David's cave, or the darkness during first neomorph attack.

Of course most of that is true of any film but I think with Covenant even moreso.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

YO! Stop your grinnin’ and drop your linen, I’ve got hilarious news.

Remember the Colonial Marines game? You know, the one that sucked? The one that even I, the person who is contractually obligated to consume, enjoy, and defend all things Alien (lest the micro-bomb in my head detonate) has trouble defending?

An enterprising fan tinkering in the game code found something interesting, and it’s a doozy:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

Short version: a typo in the game’s code broke the Alien AI, fixing it makes it much more playable. The game as shipped is still garbage, but 5+ years on a bunch of masochists with too much free time have managed to salvage it into something approaching “not total poo poo”.

Christ, what a shitshow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How do I get out of this
chicken-poo poo outfit?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wonder how many times Gearbox employees said that unironically during the game’s development.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

YO! Stop your grinnin’ and drop your linen, I’ve got hilarious news.

Remember the Colonial Marines game? You know, the one that sucked? The one that even I, the person who is contractually obligated to consume, enjoy, and defend all things Alien (lest the micro-bomb in my head detonate) has trouble defending?

An enterprising fan tinkering in the game code found something interesting, and it’s a doozy:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

Short version: a typo in the game’s code broke the Alien AI, fixing it makes it much more playable. The game as shipped is still garbage, but 5+ years on a bunch of masochists with too much free time have managed to salvage it into something approaching “not total poo poo”.

Christ, what a shitshow.

It's crazy how hosed that game is, and this is wonderful example of how little effort went into this piece of poo poo.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Is there an example of how the single line of code makes the alien ai better? Last time I ever played Aliens generally liked to run up in-front of you to die like half life zombies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SirDrone posted:

Is there an example of how the single line of code makes the alien ai better? Last time I ever played Aliens generally liked to run up in-front of you to die like half life zombies.
They explained it with something to do with the area tether that code runs, allowing the alien AI to take advantage of flanking, using the vents and actually running away instead of ambling towards you like a stoned puppy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that is hysterical

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Somebody wake up gearbox

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Just play alien isolation.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I'll give the game one thing is that the level with the zombie explodey aliens that aggro if you move too much in their presence was the only level I actually enjoyed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Somebody wake up gearbox

I tried v:shobon:v

https://twitter.com/xenomrph/status/1018258316957323264?s=21

SirDrone posted:

I'll give the game one thing is that the level with the zombie explodey aliens that aggro if you move too much in their presence was the only level I actually enjoyed.
Most of the game is real bad but I legit enjoyed the weapons and the level design/overall aesthetic. It all felt like a logical extension of what we’d seen in ‘Aliens’ (and it helped that they got Syd Mead to help map out the rest of the Sulaco). The guns also felt like they had a place in the Aliens arsenal, and the weapon mods didn’t feel like Call of Duty bullshit. Also the guns were actually effective and useful for different situations, unlike most Aliens games where the pulse rifle is so good at everything that you don’t really need anything else.

Also the game gave us one of the coolest pre-rendered game trailers of all time, so there’s that:

https://youtu.be/jBiwSzbPOzc

The multiplayer trailers were slick, too.

https://youtu.be/Q7UBQouJBns

https://youtu.be/NbF4xozplqg

Goddamnit I wish this game hadn’t been a trainwreck.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i remember michael biehn doing promo for colonial marines and farcry blood dragon at around the same time and seeming just baffled by CM while wholeheartedly enjoying the blood dragon stuff. also hilarious: that fox felt so assured of CM's success that they decreed it "canon"

colonial marines has a special place in my heart. it was the last time i pre-ordered a game, and once the initial disappointment of what the game was wore off, the subsequent drunken playthrough with my brother prior to returning it was hilarious and good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SirDrone posted:

This gave birth to that fantastic gif of Ripley in Aliens, anyone have it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The disappointment with Marines was almost real bad until I saw Jhonen Vasquez’s tweets and that was just cathartic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CelticPredator posted:

The disappointment with Marines was almost real bad until I saw Jhonen Vasquez’s tweets and that was just cathartic.

How so?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/jhonenv/status/301460716718784512?s=21

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That's pretty good ngl

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That owns lmfao

I loving love Jhonen Vasquez and I apologize to no one for it

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Tenzarin posted:

Just play alien isolation.

"HELLO MY BABY HELLO MY DARLING HELLO MY RAGTIME GAL"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

My disappointment with Colonial Marines was I had convinced a buddy to buy a cheap 360 so we could play together. We burned through that thing in like 2 nights and realized it was awful awful garbage and I don't think he ever touched his 360 again. At least the sounds were good, just like playing the game was not.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, in Predator 2, what the hell is up with that scene where the Predator is running with Jerry's skull, and stops on top of that building to get hit by lightning? Was there a reason for it that I missed?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks cool and comicbooky

Fan theory??? Explanation, he’s recharging.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Leavemywife posted:

So, in Predator 2, what the hell is up with that scene where the Predator is running with Jerry's skull, and stops on top of that building to get hit by lightning? Was there a reason for it that I missed?

He was recharging his batteries..... Space Batteries.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Predator 2 is a comic book in motion.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
What sucked about Colonial Marines is I remember it being announced in 2004 and was vaporware for years and years afterwards. Then it releases and its just god-awful garbage that got Gearbox into actual legal problems with Sega.

I second the "Play Alien Isolation" even though its survival horror and not action like everyone wanted. It nails the environment so drat well on top of that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Isolation is good but there needs to be a mod that makes it a three hour game instead of whatever it is now. I still haven't finished it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

UmOk posted:

Isolation is good but there needs to be a mod that makes it a three hour game instead of whatever it is now. I still haven't finished it

Isolation has two different modes of play. When you're scared as gently caress, and when you realize what the A.I. is doing and start manipulating it to speedrun. It's too long and unbearable in the first mode, but kind of fun in the second.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't follow this thread much so don't know if this was posted:

https://twitter.com/thecreativepenn/status/1023408782632775681

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

alf_pogs posted:

i remember michael biehn doing promo for colonial marines and farcry blood dragon at around the same time and seeming just baffled by CM while wholeheartedly enjoying the blood dragon stuff. also hilarious: that fox felt so assured of CM's success that they decreed it "canon"

colonial marines has a special place in my heart. it was the last time i pre-ordered a game, and once the initial disappointment of what the game was wore off, the subsequent drunken playthrough with my brother prior to returning it was hilarious and good

I remember reading an interview with Biehn where he was like "Colonial Marines made me almost quit voice acting." And then Blood Dragon came along and he was like, "oh dang - this can actually be fun?"

Utter nonsense that Far Cry 3 get rereleased for current gen, but Blood Dragon isn't a part of it. I mean, I know it's probably due to music licensing or some poo poo, but... c'mon.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Music? Wasnt it all done by PowerGlove? Doubt theu're the ones holding it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FilthyImp posted:

Music? Wasnt it all done by PowerGlove? Doubt theu're the ones holding it up.

The first mission starts with Long Tall Sally by Little Richard. It also includes music from No Retreat, No Surrender, and one of the Rocky movies (4?)