Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah if you're considering abandoning this LP, go out with a bang rather than a whimper and do something drastic and fun. I still would like to see the thing through to the end, especially if there's a shot at making chunking work, but if the consensus is to move on I hope that's a prompt to make some doom stacks and go on a suicidal rampage or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

aphid_licker posted:

Is the damaged/kill ratio supposed to be like that on that airfield bombardment? Or is it just fog of war? I guess planes on the ground aren't in motion and not fueled so that would help survivability. Actually that would make a lot of sense. End up with a bunch of shrapnel holes but in the end it's nbd.

Normal for the first day of an airfield bombardment campaign, yes. Usually you go back and hit it two or three more times in a row, then wait like half a week or a week or something and do it again. If you get a second attack in the next day that's when you see more destroyed. A smart opponent usually moves any planes in working order after one day.

Thing about Port Morsby is it's two days of sailing away, so the bombardment would be every 4 days than every 2. Still worth hitting to stop the air campaign against Rabaul, but a human opponent would try to punish this travel time, and to pull it off you'd need to appropriately use a deception.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

whitewhale posted:

Start preparations for a massive Pearl December raid, all BB's, all CV's, all subs. Just one final moment of IJN glory!

Defs do this if you're gonna call it early Grey.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

PittTheElder posted:

Defs do this if you're gonna call it early Grey.

Calling it now: It'll go down in history as "Operation OH GOD WHY CAN'T I LOSE?!"

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Wait, what is the theoretical maximum number of troops you could land at Pearl come December 7th, 1944?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If we start the planning now, they might even not all drown from bad planning (they'll all drown from getting sunk by 30 CV's instead)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Operation: Decisive Battle

No matter how it goes it still works as a title :v:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Comedy Not Comedy Option: land in Alaska and march to Seattle, or land however far south you can to avoid triggering the auto-reinforcements.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
If you really want to mix things up I would love for a big diversionary invasion somewhere like the Aleutians, or send all of the IJN to do a late war raid on San Francisco.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Take the Yamato and ram it into the Golden Gate Bridge

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

RZApublican posted:

Comedy Not Comedy Option: land in Alaska and march to Seattle, or land however far south you can to avoid triggering the auto-reinforcements.

Avoid?!?

One must destroy the enemy's army to dictate terms!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
just play the game to the end. i want to see how far you can go.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Please invade Vancouver island

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Declare the Emperor insufficiently patriotic and invade Tokyo/Naval HQ

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
invade constantinople

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

how fast would this game end if you decided to just say... invade russia?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Crazycryodude posted:

If we start the planning now, they might even not all drown from bad planning (they'll all drown from getting sunk by 30 CV's instead)

Would the AI even react to the entire Japanese Fleet headed to San Francisco?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Comstar posted:

Would the AI even react to the entire Japanese Fleet headed to San Francisco?

The thousands of planes that the US has in California would.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

While throwing it away in flames could be fun, this is literal years of investment, don't bail before it's done.

At some stage you're gonna get nuked. It's not going to be a stalemate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

abandon the siege of chungking and just walk that entire army along with every other troop in China straight into india

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grey Hunter posted:

I doub t that, I don't own TOAWIII. though I have thought about picking it up.

A MP LP of something would be interesting though, so people can see I'm only good a trouncing poor dumb AI's....

any challengers and games? I should be able to commit to one game, as long as its accepted my turns will be random if the kid does another month of 4am wakes.....

Solium Infernum MP game.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

simplefish posted:

At some stage you're gonna get nuked. It's not going to be a stalemate.

I thought we were going to double the allies score with the fall of Chungking. Isn’t it Japan auto victory at that point?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

uPen posted:

Solium Infernum MP game.

Oooooooooh

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've tried three times, but always willing to give it another go!

Turn up as soon as I can.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Any good civil war games out there? Also there is also the hilarious Ultimate General Civil War by the nutter who did the Darth mods for the total war games.

Also maybe take control as supreme commander during the Great War.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm terrible at Ultimate General: Civil War - I tried playing both the First Bull Run and Shiloh scenarios as the Union and just got my rear end completely kicked. It's weird because I felt pretty good about playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg and even decent at UG: Gettysburg but this one just stomps me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I continue to rain death on Chungking.

This is only a war crime if I lose....

We assault at Manus again. We might be able to win this now!

A quiet day for once, so lets look at how Chungking is doing.

Supplies should be becoming something of an issue now. I also realise I'm haemorrhaging 800 Political points a day to plane withdrawals due on the tenth – where these planes are supposed to go I have no idea – do we have a front in the West I don't know about?

Some old kills are added to the books.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats on the slow grind on Manus working! Also Chunking is going a lot faster now that it's on fire. That's the last major bit of China with resistance left, right? So after that the Chinese front is secure beyond small wandering groups of soldiers and you can probablyjust settle in and fortify?

... That probably isn't good.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

wedgekree posted:

Congrats on the slow grind on Manus working! Also Chunking is going a lot faster now that it's on fire. That's the last major bit of China with resistance left, right? So after that the Chinese front is secure beyond small wandering groups of soldiers and you can probablyjust settle in and fortify?

... That probably isn't good.

There's still Xinjiang and the communist territory represented by Yenan.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Grey Hunter posted:

Supplies should be becoming something of an issue now. I also realise I'm haemorrhaging 800 Political points a day to plane withdrawals due on the tenth – where these planes are supposed to go I have no idea – do we have a front in the West I don't know about?

This comes from the game aiming for historical realism, in this case at the expense of responding to the in game situation. The idea is after things like the Marianas Turkey Shoot (June ‘44) and attritional losses everywhere, a bunch of the IJA and IJN airgroups existed on paper only, with no pilots or planes. Those withdrawals are supposed to represent command realizing that and trying to represent their actual strength, but in practice it means a competent Japanese player suddenly loses a bunch of front line fighter groups for no reason.

There’s similar silliness with aircraft upgrades (you’ve got to upgrade in order, silly, if you don’t have A6M5s still around you can’t use those A6M8s in the hangar!) and things like being able to research radar equipped night fighters early while the radars don’t advance their arrival date.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So when are you going to attack Chungking again? Your troops should have had plenty of rest by now and be ready for round 2.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Velius posted:

This comes from the game aiming for historical realism, in this case at the expense of responding to the in game situation. The idea is after things like the Marianas Turkey Shoot (June ‘44) and attritional losses everywhere, a bunch of the IJA and IJN airgroups existed on paper only, with no pilots or planes. Those withdrawals are supposed to represent command realizing that and trying to represent their actual strength, but in practice it means a competent Japanese player suddenly loses a bunch of front line fighter groups for no reason.

There’s similar silliness with aircraft upgrades (you’ve got to upgrade in order, silly, if you don’t have A6M5s still around you can’t use those A6M8s in the hangar!) and things like being able to research radar equipped night fighters early while the radars don’t advance their arrival date.

That is janky as gently caress, especially re:radar

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Finally a use for those stockpiled political points!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Velius posted:

The design document for this game was apparently generated by a bot raised on a diet of Kafka and period tech manuals (including all the tabular appendices)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Velius posted:

Wow, that’s pretty awful

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
WiTP is a bad game

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is not a good way to start the day!

I get some revenge.

Dammit, the heaviest craft here is the one that eats the torpedo!

I continue to throw wave after wave of well lead assault troops against cooks and engineers, they have to break soon!

Half the city is on fire by this point. This is Japanese mass strategic bombing in '44 folks!

Bombing will continue. The game decides to add a hundred points of plane losses for no reason today.

The good times continue – we have now sunk or confirmed 87 ships so far this month!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
How badly off is the Kako? If it sinks it's totally worth each and every one of those PT boats noble sacrifice.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Velius posted:

thats... stupid as hell, even by this games abstraction standards. the planes exist in the same exist way and manner as everything else in the game, and take up resources, and can carry out missions, until they suddenly vanish into the fog, never to be seen again. thats almost like the complete opposite of what its supposed to be abstracting! thats some goddamn magical poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Grey Hunter posted:

Half the city is on fire by this point. This is Japanese mass strategic bombing in '44 folks!

I'd never heard of the P-66 before and went to look it up. Evedently it was so awful of an airplane that the Chinese didn't even bother unboxing most of them.