Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Toured that place last year, it was pretty mind blowing the scale of stuff there.

I'm not sure why people think those are tents. Is this a media thing? Here in Vegas there are the same thing used as permanent convention and show space and have been around for years. They aren't temporary buildings if they are the same thing, and they really look like it. They are freaking huge.

Yeah I remember going to see the 747-800 line and it was like oh cool there's one, two, three, four 747s nose to tail on this line, and a couple more on the side. And that's just the 747 line. And theres two 787 lines, a 767 tanker line, one (or two, I don't remember) 777 lines... The place is enormous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BitBasher posted:

I'm not sure why people think those are tents. Is this a media thing? Here in Vegas there are the same thing used as permanent convention and show space and have been around for years. They aren't temporary buildings if they are the same thing, and they really look like it. They are freaking huge.
maybe because it was described by Tesla as a tent and has massive open ends?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I remember going to see the 747-800 line and it was like oh cool there's one, two, three, four 747s nose to tail on this line, and a couple more on the side. And that's just the 747 line. And theres two 787 lines, a 767 tanker line, one (or two, I don't remember) 777 lines... The place is enormous!

And they can fit 4 of those planes end to end the short way across the narrow width of the building, with a whole pile of those lines in parallel the long way. The building is ridiculous and the cranes build into the ceiling for moving whole planes and sections are awesome.

bawfuls posted:

maybe because it was described by Tesla as a tent and has massive open ends?

Okay then Tesla is kind of dumb for that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it's a structure made of flexible material stretched over a frame, that's a tent :shrug:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

bawfuls posted:

it's a structure made of flexible material stretched over a frame, that's a tent :shrug:

So is Denver International Airport, and it's 20 something years old and holding up quite well.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Counterpoint: Hindenburg

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I know it's cool to make fun of Tesla's safety culture, but I doubt they're filling it with hydrogen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
To be fair I think the tent has little to do with the fact that Tesla isn't making as many car as they should be and the ones they are making are of poor quality and unfinished by Tesla's own admission.

I mean sure the tent isn't a good sign but I doubt even Tesla would admit that the tent is the reason they are literally spewing poo poo in their own house in the building with the walls and roof and everything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

I know it's cool to make fun of Tesla's safety culture, but I doubt they're filling it with hydrogen.

A techbro's hubris knows no bounds, my friend.

Nobody here can say with 100% certainty that they're not holding the production tent up by filling it with hydrogen.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

A techbro's hubris knows no bounds, my friend.

Nobody here can say with 100% certainty that they're not holding the production tent up by filling it with hydrogen.

I mean... theoretically you COULD get away with smaller, cheaper supporting members....

My god.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Sicilian posted:

Just seems like a lot of children trying to deny someone else's success.

Tesla produced the model 3, something many said they couldn't do.

Now we have people saying, "well they aren't actually producing any the factory isn't moving," while at the same time purporting this to be a deathtrap of a factory.

It must be fun to film random factory segments, jerk off to your short position you are still covering, and engage in some good old denial.

Also LOL at Faraday Future, the CEO is facing indictment in China and multiple lawsuits for nonpayment via his shell companies.

AI might be good something, but it isn't picking winners.

I'm really trying to understand your position and not probate you for everything you say in this thread, but make it a little easier on me booboo. Like try not to be such an rear end in a top hat please and absolutely don't generalize AI as X who do Y because that's super against the rules. We can make this work. I believe in you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three Olives posted:

I love this idea that Tesla single handedly created the market for electric cars. Hydrogen cars are electric cars, everyone was working on electric cars, GM's electric car program long predates Tesla.

LOL

It’s possible to give Tesla too much credit, but HFC vehicles is the worst counterexample.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Memories of the EV1 is totally what's driving the market today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Memories of the EV1 is totally what's driving the market today.

Actually, it's clear that tesla stole all their ideas from the S-10 EV.

Also, in researching this joke, i found out the Ranger EV used carbon fiber leaf springs, a De Dion tube, and watts link. I mean, it's basically a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

Actually, it's clear that tesla stole all their ideas from the S-10 EV.

Also, in researching this joke, i found out the Ranger EV used carbon fiber leaf springs, a De Dion tube, and watts link. I mean, it's basically a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

I saw one on the road and that axle is the first thing I noticed. Then I saw the EV badge.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know pickup trucks are supposed to be all about The Most Everything In Class, including engine size/power/fuel consumption, but it seems to me there's an awful lot of unused space on them that could be filled with battery packs, like between the frame rails for one. I know the target demographic would never buy one because you'd might not be able to drive across Texas with a herd of cattle in the bed in one, and some of the potential payload would be eaten up by the battery weight so it couldn't claim to have the Best Payload In Class. I just want a PHEV Tacoma.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I’d take an EV F150 with 900lb of batteries in a shallow bed that only retained enough payload capacity for Home Depot, hauling bikes, and camping trips, which is all the use I’ve had for trucks I’ve owned.

Jam some more under/behind the rear seats and give rear passengers only a fuckload instead of a fuckton of legroom.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
some portion of the truck market buys trucks for towing boats/sleds/etc which is not great for BEV and plus you can't dickmeasure as well

but yeah there's definitely a market for a battery powered utility vehicle

roomforthetuna posted:

There are several people on adjacent teams who are "industry veterans", who consistently try to make subsystems running Windows as the controller, because that's the industry standard way robotics is done, and whose model of sequencing things is to introduce increasing numbers of timing loops. (My team prefers to add a sensor wherever things need to be sequenced, so if something doesn't get where it's supposed to be, the next thing doesn't happen, rather than producing a gigantic clusterfuck of cascading failures.)

All this backstory is to get to this point - the last 50 years of production history are loving terrible at automation, and all the "industry experts" that a company trying to push the boundaries (and under time pressure) is likely to hire for their expertise, will absolutely propagate that loving terribleness into their new employer. I'd bet that's what happened to Tesla. I bet there was a team of guys at Tesla with good, workable ideas for how to better automate some poo poo, and their ideas got handed off to newly hired more experienced hardware guys for implementation, who promptly ruined the gently caress out of it (slowly over the course of two years of backsliding deadlines, after initially saying "oh that's easy we'll get that done in like a week").

I don't think anyone is saying that there is not room for improvement in automation and that there is not room for improvement in how to build a car. My point is that a lot of their risks on automation were unnecessary and hurt the company in the long run. You already have a lot of product risk (that they worked through very well!), a lot of institutional knowledge gaps, and a lot of financial pressure going in to production. It's relatively easy to build a car through traditional Lean people and process focused assembly - at least there's a very clear roadmap for doing so and you can hire a bunch of people who will build you a perfectly good traditional line. Why take the risk? If you're just trying to build a better car factory, great - but if you're trying to build a better car, why do you need to build a better factory? If you're setting up a traditional manufacturing environment the Model 3 ships earlier in larger numbers with better built in quality, without sacrificing anything that makes it a good product. Is that the best possible manufacturing environment? No, but you don't need the best possible manufacturing environment to be successful.

What industry is your joint's automation systems used in? Are you an automotive guy?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What industry is your joint's automation systems used in? Are you an automotive guy?
Id also be interested in hearing more about this stuff.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Outlander update : everything going well wife still loves the car got about 300 miles on it so far maybe 20 miles had the gas engine running. Fast charging takes like 20 mins so I just hang out with the car then move it to a nearby regular parking spot.

Jack-holes that live near the mall love plugging in all night and just leave their car there because its free charging for now. There was even this Model S when the drat Tesla dealership paid for specific Tesla chargers that he could use instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I know pickup trucks are supposed to be all about The Most Everything In Class, including engine size/power/fuel consumption, but it seems to me there's an awful lot of unused space on them that could be filled with battery packs, like between the frame rails for one. I know the target demographic would never buy one because you'd might not be able to drive across Texas with a herd of cattle in the bed in one, and some of the potential payload would be eaten up by the battery weight so it couldn't claim to have the Best Payload In Class. I just want a PHEV Tacoma.

My friend, let me introduce you to the Workhorse W-15 pickup. It's not a pure EV since it has a gas range extender, but it claims 80 electric miles.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Shooting for $52k before incentives somehow seems less crazy when full-size pickups seem to often end up so expensive anyways.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My friend, let me introduce you to the Workhorse W-15 pickup. It's not a pure EV since it has a gas range extender, but it claims 80 electric miles.

That's cool! It's a bit uggo, but that's exactly the type of thing I'm talking about! I'll bet that step van would make a pretty cool camper conversion too...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

some portion of the truck market buys trucks for towing boats/sleds/etc which is not great for BEV and plus you can't dickmeasure as well
wait what? EVs ought to be great for towing, what with all the low end torque

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

bawfuls posted:

I thought the problem was that it drains the battery insanely quickly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Peachfart posted:

I thought the problem was that it drains the battery insanely quickly.
It is.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Finger Prince posted:

I know the target demographic would never buy one because you'd might not be able to drive across Texas with a herd of cattle in the bed in one, and some of the potential payload would be eaten up by the battery weight so it couldn't claim to have the Best Payload In Class. I just want a PHEV Tacoma.

A PHEV F-150 with a Volt style drivetrain, with the added option of acting like an on-site generator and a battery UPS, would sell like hot cakes. Duty cycle isn’t the same, and you’d need to be able to drive worksite equipment from it, but there’s a market.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
This would sell like hot cakes. Ford is introducing an PHEV on the F-150 for just that reason. If it makes a decent difference in mileage without reducing power, they'll have a winner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

This would sell like hot cakes. Ford is introducing an PHEV on the F-150 for just that reason. If it makes a decent difference in mileage without reducing power, they'll have a winner.

There's no reason they couldn't use the same system in the mustang, f-150, bronco and aviator meaning 500ish hp and turbos for everybody!

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

There's no reason they couldn't use the same system in the mustang, f-150, bronco and aviator meaning 500ish hp and turbos for everybody!

The issue is, they haven't previously, and beyond the F150, they don't seem likely to.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Powershift posted:

Mustang is supposed to be getting a hybrid too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

drgitlin posted:

No, they were part of the “alien dreadnought” that didn’t work: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/elon-musk-says-tesla-will-make-a-profit-in-q3-2018/
https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-thinks-tesla-will-escape-model-3-production-h-1826600881

It’s possible the third line he referred to in June is the one in the tent, but I thought the one in the tent is for the Performance version. I am in the process of confirming exactly how many Model 3 GA lines Tesla has, because this has been bugging me, but don’t have that answer yet.

Ok, heard back from them; there are three Model 3 GA lines right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bawfuls posted:

and the six yard range while towing is pretty dope too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5j8K5RdW6I

It's around 70% of the EPA rated range when towing 5000lbs in a X.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

ratbert90 posted:

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5j8K5RdW6I

It's around 70% of the EPA rated range when towing 5000lbs in a X.

I tow with my X and see the same if not better numbers. Mine is a tiny 1000lbs trailer. THAT BEING SAID, a super aero Bolus and a tiny camping trailer really are nothing like towing a boat or trailers that are both heavy and as aerodynamic as a brick.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

I tow with my X and see the same if not better numbers. Mine is a tiny 1000lbs trailer. THAT BEING SAID, a super aero Bolus and a tiny camping trailer really are nothing like towing a boat or trailers that are both heavy and as aerodynamic as a brick.

Fair enough. Towing a gigantic boat with the X will get you down to 61~ miles of range going Freeway speeds.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-x-range-impact-towing/

However, I am not sure what X model that was. :shrug:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that there is not room for improvement in automation and that there is not room for improvement in how to build a car. My point is that a lot of their risks on automation were unnecessary and hurt the company in the long run.
That's true, but equally if they'd taken the risks and not screwed it up then they'd be raking in the rewards now. That's the way of risks. :)

quote:

If you're just trying to build a better car factory, great - but if you're trying to build a better car, why do you need to build a better factory?
If you're aiming to make something new and better and also have a reasonable price, a better factory might actually be a prerequisite.
But yeah, I see your point, it does seem foolish to take five simultaneous risks rather than doing the risks one or two at a time so you can back out of the ones that aren't working out without loving everything up.

quote:

Nah, our robots are moving computer parts around, probably not really anything anyone would be interested in. I don't want to go into much detail because I'm not sure where it would start hitting NDA lines.

Really the only interesting part of the story is that any robots you can buy are still supernaturally bad at doing anything that isn't repeating a preprogrammed sequence of motions, much much worse than you would imagine. Even mobile warehouse kind of robots are pretty poo poo, they have to be completely rebooted in order to update their navigation map, and the best they do for obstacle avoidance is stopping and hoping for the obstacle to get out of the way. (And it had better be a ground-level obstacle because otherwise it'll just smash right into it.)

The industry of robotics really needed to hire some game developers ten years ago and have them be in charge not just of software but of the hardware decisions too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Ford is going to have a hybrid F-150 and a hybrid Mustang. They have repeatedly announced them. Coming in 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/heres-fords-badly-needed-plan-to-catch-up-on-hybrid-and-electric-cars/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

A PHEV F-150 with a Volt style drivetrain, with the added option of acting like an on-site generator and a battery UPS, would sell like hot cakes. Duty cycle isn’t the same, and you’d need to be able to drive worksite equipment from it, but there’s a market.

That's what the Workhorse W-15 is. 80-mile electric range, gasoline range extender, built-in 7kW electrical port for running tools or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Ford is going to have a hybrid F-150 and a hybrid Mustang. They have repeatedly announced them. Coming in 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/heres-fords-badly-needed-plan-to-catch-up-on-hybrid-and-electric-cars/

And Aviator and Bronco, which is why i said what i said.

The Aviator will be longitudinal RWD based, and have a plug-in hybrid option. They will probably using the same system in the mustang and f-150.

quote:

The Lincoln powertrain is designed for clients interested in options. A twin-turbocharged engine can be paired with the brand’s first advanced plug-in hybrid technology, marking the first time the company will offer a plug-in hybrid powertrain mated to a twin-turbocharged engine. This combination of power and electrified capability will help Aviator deliver Lincoln’s quietest, smoothest, most powerful drive yet.

Offering the capability of its twin-turbocharged engine in combination with a hybrid electric powertrain makes Aviator mightier than many supercars on the road today. The plug-in hybrid experience provides for a responsive, refined ride, with no powertrain-induced noise and vibration when operating on battery charge, yet is capable of using its twin-turbocharged engine if needed, easing range anxiety.

• Locked thread