Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

To bring things back to manga:
Kumo desu ga had an Anime announcement.
hell yeah, for real? Who's it getting animated by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nihilarian posted:

hell yeah, for real? Who's it getting animated by?
Here is the announcement:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-07-06/so-im-a-spider-so-what-anime-adaptation-confirmed-at-anime-expo/.133934

I don't tend to pay attention to what is happening with anime until the first episode is out.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Thanks for recommending Bakarina. Didn't expect to enjoy it so much since I normally really dislike isekai. Like what you guys said, most isekais read like excerpts from the author's masturbatory wish fulfillment fantasies, but this one isn't gross, is lighthearted, and I'm enjoying how wholesome it is. Plus the art is nice and the characters are cute

I guess I'll be checking out the other female protagonist isekais now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Its true that most isekai is wish fulfillment, but as I understand it most isekai is also written by teens? Like its fanfic that got popular enough that manga people approached them or whatever

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, it often goes from web novels, kind of like web comics or fan fiction (fan fiction isn't a bad start, it's actually a really common start for writers everywhere), which if it gets popular on the site they're posting it on they might get approached by a publisher for a light novel series. If that does well they might get a manga deal.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nihilarian posted:

Its true that most isekai is wish fulfillment, but as I understand it most isekai is also written by teens? Like its fanfic that got popular enough that manga people approached them or whatever

The original SAO webnovel was written when the author was ~15, iirc.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

yum posted:

Thanks for recommending Bakarina. Didn't expect to enjoy it so much since I normally really dislike isekai. Like what you guys said, most isekais read like excerpts from the author's masturbatory wish fulfillment fantasies, but this one isn't gross, is lighthearted, and I'm enjoying how wholesome it is. Plus the art is nice and the characters are cute

I guess I'll be checking out the other female protagonist isekais now.

It’s still wish fufilment, just ladies have better wishes than men :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Black Healer is probably the worst of them for being pure wish fulfillment power fantasy for girls, and like

it's still cute and good, especially by isekai standards?

the dog needs more screen time tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she doesn't really have a harem, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
All the guys are 90 year olds in magical bishonen bodies that treat her like a toddler.

What was the isekai where the nerd and her cute best friend go together? The nerd gets the powers but tries to keep her friend in the limelight due to preconceived notions (of both the people in the world and her own) of what the hero should look like.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 12, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

All the guys are 90 year olds in magical bishonen bodies that treat her like a toddler.

What was the isekai where the nerd and her cute best friend go together? The nerd gets the powers but tries to keep her friend in the limelight due to preconceived notions (of both the people in the world and her own) of what the hero should look like.

exactly, none of them are potential love interests at all. even the adventurer boy is treated more like a pet than her actual pet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I remember when stories of characters stumbling into different worlds were about adventure and wonder rather than video game mechanics.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I remember when stories of characters stumbling into different worlds were about adventure and wonder rather than video game mechanics.

nostalgia is always worthless, but yours is worth even less than most. i spent my teens with incredibly low standards for fantasy fiction. at some points i was reading multiple fantasy novels every day. the lack of video game bullshit did not somehow make garbage fiction any better.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

you know what i remember reading?

piers anthony

i'll take video game mechanics over piers anthony any day

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I remember reading a book about a dentist being abducted by aliens or something and then travelling space and trying to carve out a living space gor himself in the aline commonwealth by cleaning the teeth of various different alien species, and was very surprised it was written by piers anthony, cause iirc it was a decent book

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Piers Anthony has some good stuff it's just that he made the mistake of making a world about puns and taking suggestions on what puns to put in the next book.

Even old Xanth stuff is pretty good because he hadn't streamlined the story structure or ran out of twists to put in that structure at the time :v:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Video Game mechanics can be just as interesting as exploring a new world. See The Gamer a Korean web-comic/manwha where the main character gets korean MMO powers and stats and applies them to real life. And it mostly explores how crazy that can get.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Piers Anthony has some good stuff it's just that he made the mistake of making a world about puns and taking suggestions on what puns to put in the next book.
as bad as the puns are, I'm more concerned about PA's pedo poo poo

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

EponymousMrYar posted:

Video Game mechanics can be just as interesting as exploring a new world. See The Gamer a Korean web-comic/manwha where the main character gets korean MMO powers and stats and applies them to real life. And it mostly explores how crazy that can get.

None of these series are about exploring a new world. They're about exploring the same world, an MMO-inspired medievalish fantasy setting. There's something remarkably pathetic about teenage authors who write down fantasies about having godmode in MMOs - you'd really think they'd have more interesting fantasy lives.

Video game mechanics aren't interesting, especially when they serve as a substitute for a narrative with conflicts and all that other old-fashioned junk. The protagonists have endless internal monologues about secret video game knowledge only they can access is interesting, in a pathological sense: this preoccupation with the protagonist's inviolate, omnipotent internal experience shows how the genre is fundamentally solipsistic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even old Xanth stuff is pretty good because he hadn't streamlined the story structure or ran out of twists to put in that structure at the time :v:

yeah no it's still incredibly gross in terms of sexual politics

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

There was a book I'd read back in high school called 'Heir Apparent' which was about a girl who gets trapped inside a VR game and basically has to figure out how to survive the scenario to end the game otherwise her brain is going to cook inside her skull. She can die in the game but it just resets her to the start of the scenario every time so she can use that to her advantage but dying means she's lost time for her own survival.

It's not in the same vein of item and mechanic exploitation like with The Gamer or Overlord, so much as it is her figuring out who to talk too and how to acquire the limited number of enchanted items that will be helpful. But I think it's a good example of game mechanics and the framework they provide can be a benefit to the story and not just an excuse for the author to not actually develop his setting or world.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I read this back in middle school, where virtual reality is used for training space colonists and when they end up 'stuck in the game' they were actually sent offworld

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 13, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

+a no Tachiichi

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Speaking of isekai that isn't dogshit, two new chapters of Dungeon Nursery dropped a few days back.

Looks like Tadpole has evolved into Tadswole

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I read the Isekai manga about the girl who can travel back and forth between her world and the other world and she wants to save up 40000 gold coins for retirement. Its bog standard stuff but this page made me laugh

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Brought To You By posted:

That monkeys paw would lead to merlin being a 300yo loli.

Of all the characters for it to happen to, at least this one has precedence.

"Look, if you arrived a century ago, I'd be middle-aged."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Brought To You By posted:

That monkeys paw would lead to merlin being a 300yo loli.

Acceptable. The ends justify the means.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DrSunshine posted:

Acceptable. The ends justify the means.

Ravioli ravioli please do not make Merlin a loli

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Without isekai stories, we wouldn't have our Isekai Transporter

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 30, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even the transporter world is a video game, tho

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 30, 2023

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Guest art by Sattou at the end there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HenryEx posted:

Even the transporter world is a video game, tho

Hahahaha, wow, that's a loving pull for an eastern manga/manhua, is binding of Isaac even a thing in eastern countries?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Hahahaha, wow, that's a loving pull for an eastern manga/manhua, is binding of Isaac even a thing in eastern countries?

Apparently it's a Thai author, I just learned. Still not "Western" though.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Dungeon Meshi
god drat god drat god drat so much good stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was probably my favorite chapter thus far

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Our boy Laius is moving up in the world, I'm so proud!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The immortals produce the best fashion, although I did think instantly think of this

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Extremely good chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Elfface posted:

The immortals produce the best fashion, although I did think instantly think of this
man, I will be forever bummed that my shithead ex-roommate stole my Oglaf book