Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The newspaper clippings in the various in-game lore stuff seem to indicate hell has sort of taken over, at least down in Louisiana, but they've spoken before about other locations, in one of the very first streams they mentioned wanting to do something Himalayan and something desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Orv posted:

The newspaper clippings in the various in-game lore stuff seem to indicate hell has sort of taken over, at least down in Louisiana, but they've spoken before about other locations, in one of the very first streams they mentioned wanting to do something Himalayan and something desert.

Zombie infested Himalayan temples and monasteries sounds loving awesome to me!

Not that a good old desert is a bad idea- or why not take it straight to somewhere iconic like egypt where the mummies have come to life? It sounds corny but there's some great potential there too.
I expect that had in mind something more barren and undeveloped, though.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

My understanding is that this is a zombie infestation localized to this bayou and life is normal outside, hence the confab of weirdos in dusters and guns able to make money as if everything were normal.

I still don't quite grasp the concept behind why am I killing people from the same hunting lodge as me and getting rewarded for it, but the game is fun. Like, even a cosmetic corruption mechanic that measures my bloodlust and greed would be nice and make it more sensible. It would serve as a reward for PvP as well.

Since someone mentioned the Duck Dynasty style, I was reminded of the game and would consequently love to see the Unholy Duck Dynasty Game. Demonic Fishing! Gargoyle shooting! Racing Hell's Horses! THE TRUCK COMES AT SIX! All of these modes would include PvP and murder, of course.

Q: For the love of all that is good and sacred, how do I get the stupid crosshair in the center of the screen? It's driving me crazy and serves no apparent function.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Left Shift. Left Shift + Right Click for ADS.

Also I think the internecine bloodbath has something to do with the oath we've taken as Hunters, but gently caress if it's explained anywhere, something something pact with Hell.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Right, I can iron sight, but I don't know why the sights are set at the bottom third of the screen, Halo/Destiny style. It's extremely irritating and makes me feel as if I'm looking down my character's nose like someone with bifocals and no common sense.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

Right, I can iron sight, but I don't know why the sights are set at the bottom third of the screen, Halo/Destiny style. It's extremely irritating and makes me feel as if I'm looking down my character's nose like someone with bifocals and no common sense.

Oh, I don't think I have that? Mine are centered AFAIK.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Quicksilver6 posted:

I still don't quite grasp the concept behind why am I killing people from the same hunting lodge as me and getting rewarded for it

Thinning the competition.

:capitalism:

Most of my complaints about the game center around stuff that'll be dealt with as the game progresses. Probably the most fun I've had with PvP gameplay even when I get dinged at 40 yards through a wall with a Dolch.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My friend learned the hard way that you can't reload while holding down ADS when a hellhound ate his face last night.

Also, I learned this game causes my GPU to heat up like the pits of hell and because my negative air pressure in my case currently doesn't dissipate hot air out fast enough it straight up dead locks my cpu.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Thinning the competition.

:capitalism:

Most of my complaints about the game center around stuff that'll be dealt with as the game progresses. Probably the most fun I've had with PvP gameplay even when I get dinged at 40 yards through a wall with a Dolch.

There's also a blurb of something in the lore book about how unless you go in with the person, anyone you meet in there is potentially tainted by the demonic influence. This influence is theoretically capable of mimicking human thought, action, even speech. So if you see someone with a gun out there it's entirely possible that it's just another hunter. . .Or it's a hunter tainted by demonic influence.

Killing someone with a bounty is just you being a thieving bastard.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

E-Tank posted:

There's also a blurb of something in the lore book about how unless you go in with the person, anyone you meet in there is potentially tainted by the demonic influence. This influence is theoretically capable of mimicking human thought, action, even speech. So if you see someone with a gun out there it's entirely possible that it's just another hunter. . .Or it's a hunter tainted by demonic influence.

Killing someone with a bounty is just you being a thieving bastard.

I really like what little lore is given of this world. Is there any way to get more books besides the initial one about Louisiana that you get by default? I'd like to read more about the world of this game.

... Unless it's all terrible and cringey. Please tell me there's not an awful comic book or something about this game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I think they've got about the right amount of plot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hunt goes by the Dead By Daylight method of having a relatively interesting metaplot that is explained nowhere.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Good game got mauled by hellhound after missing 2 hammer swings. Brutal.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hunt goes by the Dead By Daylight method of having a relatively interesting metaplot that is explained nowhere.

Everything would definitely feel ham fisted if they tried to flesh out a story with characters

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There should be a bounty monster called Ham Fist.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Posting while bleeding out 73m from my partner. Dag nabbit.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If you're new and having issues constantly dying to other hunter, there's a good post below the OP about noise and how it is getting you killed.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I really like what little lore is given of this world. Is there any way to get more books besides the initial one about Louisiana that you get by default? I'd like to read more about the world of this game.

... Unless it's all terrible and cringey. Please tell me there's not an awful comic book or something about this game.

This game has some of the best implied, but not expressly given story.

For instance, the fact that grunts have metal frames, and sometimes mouth guards. Some enterprising southern land owner probably figured out that these grunts are no longer human, and therefore they don't count for any of that pesky 'emancipation' bullshit. they can understand weapons, and while they're still pretty stupid, they're not completely idiotic. Enough that you could possibly teach them to do menial labor. This probably didn't end well, considering the state of some of the farmlands we find. It's not shown how the 'infection' spreads, but it might just straight up be that if you're killed by a Grunt, you will eventually rise up as another. It's easy to imagine one of the men hired to 'wrangle' the grunts hosed up and let it cut his throat open, and he died. . .only to rise up (dead man) again, and it continued from there.

the Meathead seems to be someone who wandered into the wrong area of the swamp and got attacked by demonic leeches who infested their body. Leeches start being born from the head, until there's too many and the head just pops off. And the leeches now treat him as basically an unliving hive.

Kinda surprised since the commonness of horses that there's not a horse demon of some sort. You'd think with the dead and dying horses lying around everywhere they'd be rapt for infection. Maybe it's their horse shoes which are considered good luck.

A lot of the lore and the ideas of it can be figured out if you look at your surroundings, not simply as a place where you fight, but as a part of the story itself.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Another one are the chicken coops and dog kennels. Someone or something has been feeding them.

Also, if you ever get a good look at the spider you can see that it's actually not a spider at all.....

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Another one are the chicken coops and dog kennels. Someone or something has been feeding them.

Also, if you ever get a good look at the spider you can see that it's actually not a spider at all.....

Post a pic? Not sure what you mean.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MysteriousStranger posted:

If you look at the front of Spidey when he opens up he has a big distorted human face, meaning he is a mutated human, not just a spider.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
The game is really good and i hope they stay light on the story its just enough to get your imagination going.

As for why hunters kill each other technically there is nothing in the game telling you to kill other hunters or even much of a reward :science:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/huntshowdown/status/976458147870146560

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

God drat that's some creepy Hellraiser poo poo.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Quicksilver6 posted:

God drat that's some creepy Hellraiser poo poo.

Hoping for more bosses and a more live channel with goons.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I hope they'll put in an overworld boss who roams around - trackable once you have all the clues.

The current "meta" is to rush the boss(es) ASAP to get the DS boost which is an enormous advantage.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

When do you think we'll get a different map? I like the bayou but wouldn't mind to see more of rural 1880s America. A stop by mines in the Appalachians seems appropriate. Or a Donner party-esque series of caravans in the snow.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hoping for more bosses and a more live channel with goons.

They definitely have a lot of room to maneuver with monsters and settings. I'd personally like to see more monsters based off of North American folklore, but mutants can be cool too.

My heartfelt wish is that they would implement a Darkest Dungeon-style stress system that would cause you to hallucinate monsters unless you let them rest, encouraging you to rotate between hunters, but that will never happen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are Butcher and Spider the only two boss bounty monsters in the game currently?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

Are Butcher and Spider the only two boss bounty monsters in the game currently?

Yerp.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp, I'm sure that won't get old.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Put everyone on one team, quadruple the number of monsters, make the boss disgustingly strong, FF still on. gently caress battle royale

Wait no that is just Western L4D.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

When do you think we'll get a different map? I like the bayou but wouldn't mind to see more of rural 1880s America. A stop by mines in the Appalachians seems appropriate. Or a Donner party-esque series of caravans in the snow.

I wouldn't expect another map until the crafting systems are in at minimum.

AndyElusive posted:

Welp, I'm sure that won't get old.

The bosses are almost incidental, they exist to be killed and take your focus off protecting yourself rather than necessarily being an interesting fight. A third boss is right around the corner however, some sort of swamp kraken.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I found out there's a roadmap! Yeah, it seems like that's way, way down the list. I am morbidly curious about the apparently close to release new enemy called "water devil". Makes sense to have an enemy for each kind of terrain, I suppose. Maybe some kind of Rusalka ish thing that drags you down?

Also, what the hell could "Nightmare event" be?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I found out there's a roadmap! Yeah, it seems like that's way, way down the list. I am morbidly curious about the apparently close to release new enemy called "water devil". Makes sense to have an enemy for each kind of terrain, I suppose. Maybe some kind of Rusalka ish thing that drags you down?

There's a brief, rather unsettling glimpse of the Water Devil at the end of this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsnCmnX_ksg

All we know about Nightmare missions insofar is that they will have a level requirement, reduced ammo/health availability and greatly increased enemy spawns.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I missed out on getting this during the steam sale - is it up on any decent discount sites? I checked fanatical and GMG but no luck.

I know it's only $30 but given how little interest there seems to be in it I'd rather avoid full retail.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Quicksilver6 posted:

looks dope

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
After taking a hiatus for a couple months, I found I was getting my rear end handed to me more than I was use to.

I took the liberty to prestige and teach myself the fear of god again - it's helped immensely.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

After taking a hiatus for a couple months, I found I was getting my rear end handed to me more than I was use to.

I took the liberty to prestige and teach myself the fear of god again - it's helped immensely.

Game needs vastly more content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Game needs vastly more content

I think the core gameplay is there. The PvP element will always be the main driver of the replayability and intrigue for the matches. Some more maps, monsters and guns would be appreciated. I think they're working on all three.