Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got fired/laid off by being the last person left in my department and refusing to learn a new task. I made them give me my severance because I hated the company. Then I was unemployed for 3 loving years so that turned out to be maybe not be the best idea.

If you're a W-2 contractor then you collect unemployment.

always apply for the unemployment. even 1099 can sometimes get it

it just changes things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seriously though, unless you're about to kill yourself don't quit without having another job lined up. It's a lot harder to get a job if you're unemployed.

I loving hate that fact but that doesn't make it not true.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I’m going to bite the bullet and talk to my manager about going back to my old job.

At least it was safe and I was well liked. I don’t know what verbal deal I’ll have to give about not leaving for however long if I did go back.

These stories I’m hearing about being unemployed are a little scary. Whatever the case avoiding being unemployed is the priority now. I need to get another job within 30 days.

I do appreciate hearing the reality of the situation.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Also:

Always, always, always have a moonlighting gig set up and organized in your resume.

The moonlighting gig neatly fills gaps in employment that are explained away with “I left my full time job because I was focusing on my consulting practice.”

And anything you are working on in your home lab suddenly becomes job activities in your consulting gig and your lab becomes tax deductible against any future income you might eventually generate by actually landing that magical $100/hour four hour minimum client who really, really wants you to fix their printer and is willing to pay your gently caress-you money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This guy knows it ^

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanatosian posted:

I usually hear "malicious compliance."

We switched to a password vault to access admin credentials on all windows servers so they had an audit trail. A lot of my work required server access so I asked if I could request access for a week at a time.

My boss was adamant that the system would not work if he allowed that. Each access attempt had to be manually requested for each server individually with incident/problem/change number and reason and took 5-10 minutes to be approved. And also for the time you estimated you needed. So that could be 5 minutes for just a quick check/fix.

I just requested access to all my servers for the max period that was allowed (2 weeks). My boss immediately called me out on it and told me to do it the way it should be done.

So I started registrating it like that. It took me 4-6 hours of lost productivity a week and my boss recieved up to 100 of approval requests per day from me. After day 1 he came back and asked me if I couldn’t request it for 1 day instead of 5-15 mins that I needed it per request. So I told him exactly what he told me: “that’s not how the system is supposed to work” and kept doing it like he told me.

After day 2 he said I could just request it for all servers for the max period.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol I just got a taste of that RAID 5 fuckery. Went to replace a degraded drive and somehow the controller broke the one next to it as well breaking the entire array. Coooool

This is called a punctured array. Caused by unrecoverable read errors. I've read a few articles that claim that as drive sizes increase, RAID 6 is also going to be vulnerable. This is bad as most SANs were I work use a RAID 6-II implementation.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TerryLennox posted:

This is called a punctured array. Caused by unrecoverable read errors. I've read a few articles that claim that as drive sizes increase, RAID 6 is also going to be vulnerable. This is bad as most SANs were I work use a RAID 6-II implementation.

Cool I’ll look into that.

All in all it wasn’t a total disaster just a bit of ball tightening. Rebuilt the array. It took out the esx boot with it so I had to rebuild that as well. Fun stuff. Yay having backups ready to go for a quick and easy restore.

Boss was impressed with the quick and cool response. Feels good to have praise even during a potentially bad situation instead of “what did you do”

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Despite having a cool exterior during critical downtime events, I'm actually panicking internally in such a way that I imagine the room and building are on fire.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Despite having a cool exterior during critical downtime events, I'm actually panicking internally in such a way that I imagine the room and building are on fire.

god drat same. I tend to get compliments about my calm demeanor during serious disasters meanwhile I am like "holy loving poo poo oh my god gently caress"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LochNessMonster posted:

We switched to a password vault to access admin credentials on all windows servers so they had an audit trail. A lot of my work required server access so I asked if I could request access for a week at a time.

My boss was adamant that the system would not work if he allowed that. Each access attempt had to be manually requested for each server individually with incident/problem/change number and reason and took 5-10 minutes to be approved. And also for the time you estimated you needed. So that could be 5 minutes for just a quick check/fix.

I just requested access to all my servers for the max period that was allowed (2 weeks). My boss immediately called me out on it and told me to do it the way it should be done.

So I started registrating it like that. It took me 4-6 hours of lost productivity a week and my boss recieved up to 100 of approval requests per day from me. After day 1 he came back and asked me if I couldn’t request it for 1 day instead of 5-15 mins that I needed it per request. So I told him exactly what he told me: “that’s not how the system is supposed to work” and kept doing it like he told me.

After day 2 he said I could just request it for all servers for the max period.

do they not realize that you don't need approvals to maintain an audit trail, or that anyone malicious could just write the password down and save it for a few days?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RFC2324 posted:

do they not realize that you don't need approvals to maintain an audit trail, or that anyone malicious could just write the password down and save it for a few days?

I tried pointing that out (suggested shipping eventlog to an auditing server we can’t access) but “this was what the windows platform team chose as a solution so deal with it”.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kashuno posted:

god drat same. I tend to get compliments about my calm demeanor during serious disasters meanwhile I am like "holy loving poo poo oh my god gently caress"

In the job that I got harassed into leaving one of their comments was "when we got hit by ransomware you didn't seem bothered".

Course I didn't seem bothered? What the gently caress else do you want me to do, we've contained the threat, backups were on the way, 90% of the network is fine and undergoing scans. Do you want me to scream and stress when i've got it all in hand?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

see the title of the poo poo that pisses you off thread

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

dogstile posted:

In the job that I got harassed into leaving one of their comments was "when we got hit by ransomware you didn't seem bothered".

Course I didn't seem bothered? What the gently caress else do you want me to do, we've contained the threat, backups were on the way, 90% of the network is fine and undergoing scans. Do you want me to scream and stress when i've got it all in hand?
One of the things I learned from Lucy Freedman's Smart Work is that when people are panicking, they interpret other people's deliberate calmness as a means of exerting control; it feels almost condescending. The author gave an example of how she calmed down a woman having a panic attack in an airplane by matching her volume, rhythm, and pitch, then slowly started to lower her own volume and slow down in order to de-escalate the panicking woman. The flight attendants with their deliberate calm couldn't do poo poo. She would have tried to pop open the emergency exit in mid-flight.

It's mentioned in a book about communicating at work because people have to do this all the time in professional settings. It's a really good book, and I recommend it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DropsySufferer posted:

What is a "one on one" exactly? Just a meeting between manager and employee to talk about issues?

OK, a one-on-one, which should be held each and every week as a high priority, is NOT for "What are you working on?" Like, at all.

Weekly one-on-ones are for relationship building. The best format I know of to do these goes like this:

At the start of the meeting, the manager asks an open-ended, non-guiding question that simply kicks off the conversation, and then SHUTS UP. I ask my guys "How's things?" That's it. It is critically important that the manager not influence the beginning of the conversation, which is basically unavoidable if you say anything about anything.

The employee then guides and drives the conversation toward whatever they want to talk about. It can certainly be work in general, a specific work instance, their dog, their house, their wife/husband, their medical issues, their childhood, what they did last weekend, literally anything. It's their time to have you listen to them.

That usually goes for eh, ten minutes or so, but I usually won't cut them off they're on a good roll about something.

Then the manager takes ten minutes to do the same. The manager should also take some notes regarding the meeting, just so they can go back over them both in prep for next week's meeting and also just to look at the progress of things historically.

Then they take about ten minutes together to loosely plan, strategize and discuss the future.

That's it. It sounds terribly regimented on paper, but works well in practice. Since I started following this, I know everyone on my team far better than I did before, and we collaborate and communicate much more easily and naturally. It's a little awkward, especially at first, and most of us in IT have low interest in this sort of thing, but I have found the benefits far, far outweigh all of that.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 13, 2018

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Vulture Culture posted:

One of the things I learned from Lucy Freedman's Smart Work is that when people are panicking, they interpret other people's deliberate calmness as a means of exerting control; it feels almost condescending. The author gave an example of how she calmed down a woman having a panic attack in an airplane by matching her volume, rhythm, and pitch, then slowly started to lower her own volume and slow down in order to de-escalate the panicking woman. The flight attendants with their deliberate calm couldn't do poo poo. She would have tried to pop open the emergency exit in mid-flight.

It's mentioned in a book about communicating at work because people have to do this all the time in professional settings. It's a really good book, and I recommend it.

Alright I'm sold. Gonna read this.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

AlternateAccount posted:

OK, a one-on-one, which should be held each and every week as a high priority, is NOT for "What are you working on?" Like, at all.

Weekly one-on-ones are for relationship building. The best format I know of to do these goes like this:

At the start of the meeting, the manager asks an open-ended, non-guiding question that simply kicks off the conversation, and then SHUTS UP. I ask my guys "How's things?" That's it. It is critically important that the manager not influence the beginning of the conversation, which is basically unavoidable if you say anything about anything.

The employee then guides and drives the conversation toward whatever they want to talk about. It can certainly be work in general, a specific work instance, their dog, their house, their wife/husband, their medical issues, their childhood, what they did last weekend, literally anything. It's their time to have you listen to them.

That usually goes for eh, ten minutes or so, but I usually won't cut them off they're on a good roll about something.

Then the manager takes ten minutes to do the same. The manager should also take some notes regarding the meeting, just so they can go back over them both in prep for next week's meeting and also just to look at the progress of things historically.

Then they take about ten minutes together to loosely plan, strategize and discuss the future.

That's it. It sounds terribly regimented on paper, but works well in practice. Since I started following this, I know everyone on my team far better than I did before, and we collaborate and communicate much more easily and naturally. It's a little awkward, especially at first, and most of us in IT have low interest in this sort of thing, but I have found the benefits far, far outweigh all of that.

My office rolled this out for everyone a couple years ago. It was awkward to start, but once it got going, yes it's been amazing. Collaboration and communication improved immensely, and frequently it revealed and helped fix problems that maybe wouldn't have arisen in general status meetings.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vulture Culture posted:

Sadly I feel like this is less of a case of needing to de-escalate her and more she wanted to assign blame, the way it was worded was very much "you seemed to not be worried, almost like you knew it would happen" kind of bullshit.

You can see why I left.

I'll likely pick up the book though, sounds good.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

dogstile posted:

Sadly I feel like this is less of a case of needing to de-escalate her and more she wanted to assign blame, the way it was worded was very much "you seemed to not be worried, almost like you knew it would happen" kind of bullshit.

You can see why I left.

I'll likely pick up the book though, sounds good.

haha so the implication was that you basically let a ransomware attack happen? Leaving that job was a good decision.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

haha so the implication was that you basically let a ransomware attack happen? Leaving that job was a good decision.

There was lots of implications or straight up "this is your fault".

The other teams couldn't get backups, this was after i'd sent them monthly emails over the year saying "hey this is what we back up, we don't back up anything else, if your poo poo needs backing up tell me and we'll organise it".

They never responded, my fault when they lost data apparently.

I mean, on the plus side that job turned me into someone who will literally take no poo poo from anyone ever again. Recently bumped into an old manager (not mine) who asked me "what company i was sabotaging now" while I was shopping because apparently since I left every time something goes wrong they just say it was my fault. It's almost been a year. He left the store without anything he'd picked up after I started shouting at him.

Get fuuuuuucked. I don't give a gently caress how embarrassing that apparently is (me losing my cool, i mean), you don't talk to people like that.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 13, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh my god I would have freaked out if my ex-boss said that to me out in public.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Four questions you should stop asking in your one to one’s

https://m.signalvnoise.com/the-4-questions-you-should-stop-asking-during-your-one-on-one-meetings-ed7431da11aa

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Since I just joined the sa dev discord, is there an IT discord I can get in on?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My God it's like a distilled C level drive-by.

Hey how's it going? What's the status on my project? Can I help? How can we improve the pace?

Gaaahhhhh get the gently caress out of my office and let me work

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My God it's like a distilled C level drive-by.

Hey how's it going? What's the status on my project? Can I help? How can we improve the pace?

Gaaahhhhh get the gently caress out of my office and let me work

We can improve the pace by you leaving me the gently caress alone.

So glad there is a whiskey distillery and beer brewery within a block of my job.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

There was lots of implications or straight up "this is your fault".

The other teams couldn't get backups, this was after i'd sent them monthly emails over the year saying "hey this is what we back up, we don't back up anything else, if your poo poo needs backing up tell me and we'll organise it".

They never responded, my fault when they lost data apparently.

I mean, on the plus side that job turned me into someone who will literally take no poo poo from anyone ever again. Recently bumped into an old manager (not mine) who asked me "what company i was sabotaging now" while I was shopping because apparently since I left every time something goes wrong they just say it was my fault. It's almost been a year. He left the store without anything he'd picked up after I started shouting at him.

Get fuuuuuucked. I don't give a gently caress how embarrassing that apparently is (me losing my cool, i mean), you don't talk to people like that.

I seriously don't get the blame game because I am always on the team everyone wants to blame.

A bunch of important servers stop working today. "OH NO IT'S NETWORKING!" Ends up someone straight-up deleted a dozen VM's. But that's apparently cool? If it had been an actual networking issue we'd be dealing with requests for logs and explanations for the next week.

So like in your case you get grief, but the departments that didn't do what they were supposed to do have inside dirt on the boss and get a pass. I want to work in those departments!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

Since I just joined the sa dev discord, is there an IT discord I can get in on?

I see slack being a better option given our profession haha

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krispy Wafer posted:

I seriously don't get the blame game because I am always on the team everyone wants to blame.

A bunch of important servers stop working today. "OH NO IT'S NETWORKING!" Ends up someone straight-up deleted a dozen VM's. But that's apparently cool? If it had been an actual networking issue we'd be dealing with requests for logs and explanations for the next week.

So like in your case you get grief, but the departments that didn't do what they were supposed to do have inside dirt on the boss and get a pass. I want to work in those departments!

always ask the network guy if there is an issue as one of your first steps in troubleshooting an issue. then, believe what he tells you until you have solid proof he was wrong.

i mean, if you can't trust your coworkers to know when there's an issue in their realm, why work with them?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

always ask the network guy if there is an issue as one of your first steps in troubleshooting an issue. then, believe what he tells you until you have solid proof he was wrong.

i mean, if you can't trust your coworkers to know when there's an issue in their realm, why work with them?

No. You assume it's the network and then require them to prove a negative.

At least that's how it's done here. So we spend the better part of a morning checking every possible network possibility and then they go, 'oopsi it was a CPU process'.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I see slack being a better option given our profession haha

I already have 3 electron apps running on my computer all the time, I don't need a 4th.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krispy Wafer posted:

At least that's how it's done here. So we spend the better part of a morning checking every possible network possibility and then they go, 'oopsi it was a CPU process'.

I had a director alert me after-hours because they couldn't get a remote printer to print successfully. It was out of paper, and said so in the error message in the screenshot they emailed us if they had bothered to expand the window to show the entire error message. Meanwhile, our VP was seriously like "these issues are critical, we need everybody on deck to look so these issues can be solved promptly without delays." No, you need to hire people that can do more than hit a panic button. He inherited that team so I don't fault him, but there needs to be a basic level of competency before you get to order other teams around.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krispy Wafer posted:

last time I worked in a NOC it absolutely baffled the network people that I would ask if they knew of any issues that might explain x, and then believed them when they told me. it also meant that when I came back later because I felt like they were missing something they actually were happy to double check.

Ask, but trust the results unless you have proof otherwise.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Packet doesn't go/seem to not go where I expect it to be - network error. It's just the way it is. Also it is quite common that the network guy usually has the most complete understanding of how everything interoperates, so it's a good bet to bother them.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

RFC2324 posted:

last time I worked in a NOC it absolutely baffled the network people that I would ask if they knew of any issues that might explain x, and then believed them when they told me. it also meant that when I came back later because I felt like they were missing something they actually were happy to double check.

Ask, but trust the results unless you have proof otherwise.

^^This is what server admins actually believe.

From NOC's perspective:
Hey guys, we migrated this VM last night and connectivity is broken, but we're not going to say anything and instead ask "did anything on the network change recently" so you get to pore through firewall rules. Yes, summarize the issue with senior staff as "NOC is looking at it," and feel free to let execs know who to ping for updates.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Contingency posted:

From NOC's perspective:
Hey guys, we migrated this VM last night and connectivity is broken, but we're not going to say anything and instead ask "did anything on the network change recently" so you get to pore through firewall rules. Yes, summarize the issue with senior staff as "NOC is looking at it," and feel free to let execs know who to ping for updates.

"OMG we cloned all these VM's and forgot to make unique MAC addresses and now nothing's working!"

Yes...yes...that is a network issue to a degree but.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Contingency posted:

From NOC's perspective:

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Krispy Wafer posted:

We have this problem too. It's even worse when wireless enters the picture. Just try convincing other groups that the wireless network itself isn't the cause of their wireless connectivity problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

ah yes, it's always dns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The mantra of /r/sysadmin and other bad sysadmins who don't understand how DNS or anything else works.