Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That’s no difference for me, so it’s still an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

dogstile posted:

If this thread has taught me anything its that I should never get into infosec or i'll be abrasive and mad all the time.

It's the times that make you salty are also bittersweet.

You: This Win2000 web server has not been touched or patched for years. Here's a report on what's on it and the risk if that poo poo becomes a jump point or the data on it is stolen

Management: heh. Barely anyone know this web server even exists. (Never accept risk because the process is barely up and running)

*Year later*

Management: You wouldn't believe what just happened!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dogstile posted:

If this thread has taught me anything its that I should never get into infosec or i'll be abrasive and mad all the time.

Pretty much

e: Oh, uh I mean "duh, idiot".

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

dogstile posted:

You'd probably actually fit right in at most orgs.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

dogstile posted:

I prefer cynical and alcoholic

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Mirrored avaiators, ccl licenses, and other leo cosplay.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

cheese-cube posted:

I was just posting a thing that I thought people might enjoy reading. Also posted the same thing in the secfuck thread in case you want to throw your weight around there.

Mind linking to the secfuck thread?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Mirrored avaiators, ccl licenses, and other leo cosplay.

*checks thread title*
How did I end up in the never-served, lifted truck with skull sticker, constantly posting memes about “safe spaces” thread???

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Apex Rogers posted:

Mind linking to the secfuck thread?

They keep closing it and opening new ones, looks like this is the current though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855827

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Two D-Link certificates were apparently stolen a while back and then used to spread some malware.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

PBS posted:

They keep closing it and opening new ones, looks like this is the current though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855827

Thanks for that. I did peek into the 'POS looking for it, but didn't try hard enough I guess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Getting into infosec means you have a huge "CYA" folder in your inbox full of email chains that end in "We have your report, solution: WONTFIX".

Then a year later poo poo hits the fan and they start to bitch and moan at you until you pull that email chain with a giant. :smug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://bgr.com/2018/07/10/apple-1password-acquisition-deal/amp/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/1Password/status/1016710603359096846

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Getting into infosec means you have a huge "CYA" folder in your inbox full of email chains that end in "We have your report, solution: WONTFIX".
Then a year later poo poo hits the fan and they start to bitch and moan at you until you pull that email chain with a giant. :smug:
Was always fun working for healthcare providers and handing them a longass list of problems we'd found en-passant while doing our job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to get better at twitter.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AT&T is buying AlienVault. lol

quote:

AlienVault is excited to announce the intended acquisition by AT&T. This acquisition will bolster AT&T’s and AlienVault’s ability to deliver cybersecurity solutions, including threat intelligence, across all sales channels. AT&T will continue to invest in and build on AlienVault’s foundational technology as the company integrates AlienVault into AT&T’s cybersecurity suite of services.

AT&T will acquire the company, including all assets of AlienVault - the technology, platforms, infrastructure, talent including partner relationships and OTX communities. AT&T understands the value in AlienVault’s channels and expects to continue to work with our partners and MSSPs.

For now, this announcement has no impact on how we engage and support our partners, and it is business as usual and all interaction remains the same. Your account management, marketing and support teams continue to be focused on your success. There are no changes in licensing or delivery - we recognize that you have built service offerings on AlienVault’s USM platform and our commitment to you is unchanged.

This is an exciting time, and I am sure you have some questions. Right now, we’re focused on planning for a smooth transition to AT&T for our customers, partners and employees after close. Should you wish to address anything specific, feel free to reach out to me or your Channel Account Manager. Thank you for your partnership and we look forward to continued mutual success

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Wtf

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Telcos getting involved with things always improves them, I'm optimistic about this

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

Telcos getting involved with things always improves them, I'm optimistic about this

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
One of the best Avatar/Post combos in a while :thumbsup:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm looking for a lightweight command/program to encrypt/decrypt using .asc public and private keys. I've already tried gpg and aws-encryption-cli and both aren't quite working for my use case. Has to be linux command line and relatively easy to install via script. Anyone know what I should be using?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

What about gpg isn’t working for you?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Evis posted:

What about gpg isn’t working for you?

We need to use an external application to fire off gpg -e encryption commands to our external server using su. gpg doesnt allow that by design and we can't engineer around that limitation.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SnatchRabbit posted:

We need to use an external application to fire off gpg -e encryption commands to our external server using su. gpg doesnt allow that by design and we can't engineer around that limitation.

What is the exact limitation? Are the keys living on local or the remote external server?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

EVIL Gibson posted:

What is the exact limitation? Are the keys living on local or the remote external server?

The keys live on the external server, but the application needs to be able to send the gpg command using an su profile which gpg does not support. I've tried for a couple weeks trying to get it to work but seems its explicitly not supported.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

still awaiting the actual constraints or requirements for su being involved

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SnatchRabbit posted:

The keys live on the external server, but the application needs to be able to send the gpg command using an su profile which gpg does not support. I've tried for a couple weeks trying to get it to work but seems its explicitly not supported.
Tell your application support team they get to use the gpg api to decrypt those files instead of calling the command.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Thinking that I might be able to user amazons key management service with external keys. The docs had me generate a new key with the command $ openssl rand -out PlaintextKeyMaterial.bin 32. Is it possible to generate a public key based on the key I get from that command?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is so awesome

https://github.com/eslint/eslint-scope/issues/39

Dumping npm credentials right to a pastebin

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is so awesome

https://github.com/eslint/eslint-scope/issues/39

Dumping npm credentials right to a pastebin

https://github.com/eslint/eslint-scope/issues/39#issuecomment-404543050 posted:

For anyone curious about the signing situation, the NPM maintainers actively rejected package signing in 2015.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Everything is terrible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Looks like NPM stepped in and invalidated all tokens themselves rather than wait for users to maybe do it

https://status.npmjs.org/incidents/dn7c1fgrr7ng

This entire thing was caused by a contributor not having 2FA lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

Looks like NPM stepped in and invalidated all tokens themselves rather than wait for users to maybe do it

https://status.npmjs.org/incidents/dn7c1fgrr7ng

This entire thing was caused by a contributor not having 2FA lmao
Do they mention how they knew that everyone had upgraded from the bad versions of eslint-scope and eslint-config-eslint before they did this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Do they mention how they knew that everyone had upgraded from the bad versions of eslint-scope and eslint-config-eslint before they did this?

Nope!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

misery loves company

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I just ran into an issue where some of our partners were pulling the incorrect IPv4 addresses for their payment processor (CES / FirstData).

The payment gateways are:
vxn.datawire.net
vxn1.datawire.net
vxn2.datawire.net

The correct IP's are 216.220.36.75, 205.167.140.10, and 64.243.142.36. However, our affected locations (in Alaska on two different ISP's) were getting 45.227.252.17 as the IPv4 address, which I think is registered to a web hosting company in the Caribbean. The HTTPS site at that IP is using a self-signed SSL certificate, issued on 7-5, for those domain names. The Hello World text is the same as the actual servers. This all looks like someone trying to harvest credit card records. Fortunately for us, our card processing software does verify the SSL certificate and didn't send any transactions since the cert wasn't signed by a trusted CA, but this is still really weird and I'm wondering how the ISP DNS servers are getting the wrong server. My initial thought was their router got popped by some bot since I'm sure no one updates their firwmare ever, but on investigating the bad records were actually coming from the ISP nameservers.

From googling around and trying different public DNS servers in that corner of the world, I found that the University of British Colombia is serving the incorrect IP as well. Doing an NSLOOKUP against the public servers listed on this page will get you the wrong IP (at least as of 8:54 AM mountain time on 7-13-2018).

One of the originally affected sites is now getting the correct IP information from their ISP (MTA Online), but ACS Alaska's nameservers are still serving incorrect info.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this and how the records were poisoned, and who I would go try to report this to if I was so inclined.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 13, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wyoak posted:

I just ran into an issue where some of our partners were pulling the incorrect IPv4 addresses for their payment processor (CES / FirstData).

vxn.datawire.net
vxn1.datawire.net
vxn2.datawire.net

The correct IP's are 216.220.36.75, 205.167.140.10, and 64.243.142.36. However, our affected locations (in Alaska on two different ISP's) were getting 45.227.252.17 as the IPv4 address, which I think is registered to a web hosting company in the Caribbean. The HTTPS site at that IP is using a self-signed SSL certificate, issued on 7-5, for those domain names. The Hello World text is the same as the actual servers. This all looks like someone trying to harvest credit card records. Fortunately for us, our card processing software does verify the SSL certificate and didn't send any transactions since the cert wasn't signed by a trusted CA, but this is still really weird and I'm wondering how the ISP DNS servers are getting the wrong server. My initial thought was their router got popped by some bot since I'm sure no one updates their firwmare ever, but on investigating the bad records were actually coming from the ISP nameservers.

From googling around and trying different public DNS servers in that corner of the world, I found that the University of British Colombia is serving the incorrect IP as well. Doing an NSLOOKUP against the public servers listed on this page will get you the wrong IP (at least as of 8:54 AM mountain time on 7-13-2018).

One of the originally affected sites is now getting the correct IP information from their ISP (MTA Online), but ACS Alaska's nameservers are still serving incorrect info.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this and how the records were poisoned, and who I would go try to report this to if I was so inclined.

As someone who has been a customer of both of those ISP's, this post gets a big fat LOL

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wyoak posted:

vxn.datawire.net
vxn1.datawire.net
vxn2.datawire.net

We also saw this (in Alaska), we were also thinking some targeted DNS poisoning (bunch of different ways this could happen, BIND vulnerabilities, etc), but were not sure, it's interesting to see that other people saw this as well. We reported it to MTA and it was resolved, I'd recommend doing the same to ACS (although lol ACS).

EDIT: Apparently this thread is now about the joys of working with Alaskan ISPs

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A few years ago I discovered a routing issue between ACS and another Alaskan ISP, it took getting my old employers business rep involved because the regular channels kept blowing me off.