Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bodanarko posted:

Speaking of 2p, any good outside of the box recs for 2p games or (even better) games that are good/decent at 2p and scale up well?

Already have raptor, patchwork, 7W duel, codenames duet, Agricola ACBAS in our reliable 2p stable.

Our two big 2p hits over the past couple of months have been Citadels and Gaslands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Huxley posted:

Our two big 2p hits over the past couple of months have been Citadels and Gaslands.

If you're going to do a race, how wide should the track be in Gaslands, so that it's risky, but not an annoying bottleneck to move?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

If you're going to do a race, how wide should the track be in Gaslands, so that it's risky, but not an annoying bottleneck to move?

the rules for gaslands use gates you go through in sequence instead of a track, you can just drive all over if you want

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

We mostly just play it like x wing, honestly. There's a mode where the environmental hazards have turrets.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the rules for gaslands use gates you go through in sequence instead of a track, you can just drive all over if you want

right, but you also set up obstacles and such, and the edges of the table matter. Is the "one long straight" gate width wide enough for open spaces generally?

Huxley posted:

We mostly just play it like x wing, honestly. There's a mode where the environmental hazards have turrets.
The thing I like about the Death Race option is that there is stronger incentive to go fast and wipe out because of THAT, in addition to shootin'.

Gaslands rules question: in Death Race, weapons are inactive "until the vehicle passes Gate 1." Is Gate 1 the Starting Gate? The example track suggests this is the case.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

homullus posted:

right, but you also set up obstacles and such, and the edges of the table matter. Is the "one long straight" gate width wide enough for open spaces generally?

The thing I like about the Death Race option is that there is stronger incentive to go fast and wipe out because of THAT, in addition to shootin'.

Gaslands rules question: in Death Race, weapons are inactive "until the vehicle passes Gate 1." Is Gate 1 the Starting Gate? The example track suggests this is the case.

if it's like the movie, the implication is you don't get them until lap 2.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy moly this Duel of Ages II strategy guide rules. If I ever make a board game, I’m going to make a 200 page strategy guide for sure.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Gaslands gates go

Start
Gate 1
Gate 2
Finish

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

homullus posted:

The example track suggests this is the case.

The errata'd that diagram so that gate 1 isnt the start.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Holy moly this Duel of Ages II strategy guide rules. If I ever make a board game, I’m going to make a 200 page strategy guide for sure.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. The designer is loving obsessed with the game and posts these point strategy articles about every character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. The designer is loving obsessed with the game and posts these point strategy articles about every character.

Duel of Ages is what happens when a grog watches The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny and decides to make an ASL total conversion mod.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It's been a few weeks since people were taking about Flow of History. Does it still hold up to repeated plays? The deluxified editor can still be gotten for relatively cheap.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Booyah- posted:

The errata'd that diagram so that gate 1 isnt the start.

Great. I thought it had to be that since the rest of the game is pretty thoughtfully-designed. The idea of it only counting after a lap is also attractive, though. Would cars last for a lap with only smash damage?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Megasabin posted:

It's been a few weeks since people were taking about Flow of History. Does it still hold up to repeated plays? The deluxified editor can still be gotten for relatively cheap.

I’ve played it 5 times over a week and it looks like it. Planning to bring it as a warm up game for the current active rotation even though it fights for that slot with import export. There’s a lot of plays you devote to just learn what cards to look out for because they always come up and they have symbols that aren’t tied to their primary function - I actually think TTA’s age decks are much easier to learn to play around. What keeps it interesting is that players have total control over rate of inflation and price setting. You’ll need a few plays just to get your valuation adjusted.

I got the deluxe edition for $25 shipped but honestly if you can get it from CSI/MM with other orders, the $18 is fine. The extra money for a board, metal coins, and resin player pieces are meh (assuming you get it at the $30 range).

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Yeah I picked it up for $24 on Amazon, and played it more 2p and haven’t gotten sick of it yet. I think at that price the deluxified version is a great value.

I’d love to see more cards or an expansion of some kind but I have a feeling that is unlikely.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bodanarko posted:

Yeah I picked it up for $24 on Amazon, and played it more 2p and haven’t gotten sick of it yet. I think at that price the deluxified version is a great value.

I’d love to see more cards or an expansion of some kind but I have a feeling that is unlikely.

How is the 2p game because I’m always weary of games that have a dummy player at lower counts?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rad Valtar posted:

How is the 2p game because I’m always weary of games that have a dummy player at lower counts?

I’ve played it with the Rahdo variant (included) and it’s fast and good. The only thing the dummy player is ensure the game keeps going.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Where are you seeing the deluxe edition?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Where are you seeing the deluxe edition?

This is the deluxe version, I ordered and received it this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Games-T...BvoL&ref=plSrch

The rahdo variant for 2 is good, you can play the “base” 2p if you want an even more aggressive “take that” game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bodanarko posted:

The rahdo variant for 2 is good, you can play the “base” 2p if you want an even more aggressive “take that” game.

That’s pretty awesome. You’re sure this is the deluxe with coins/cover? The dimensions are right at least. My friend is asking me to be sure

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: Holy poo poo why is that so tiny? Here's a link. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/mTzrTky

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

rydiafan posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo why is that so tiny? Here's a link. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/mTzrTky

So... Spyfall, except depressing?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Megasabin posted:

I'm still enjoying the game, though it is hard to figure out how to win. I think that's a good thing though. The balance between the need for early wonders to get endgame points against early cards that actually do things is pretty good.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bodanarko posted:

Are you sure this is the deluxe edition? You can clearly see the side of the box is different than the kickstarer, which has gold foil words saying "Deluxified" above the airplane.

When I was referring to the deluxe edition being cheap I was referring to second hand sellers.

Edit: Looking on BGG, TMG became aware that amazon was accidentally selling deluxified copies labeled as regular. The post was on July 10th. Whether or no they corrected the issue yet is up in the air.

Bodanarko, when you got yours did it say deluxified on the box?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 13, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Should be getting Brass next week, really excited!

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Are you sure this is the deluxe edition? You can clearly see the side of the box is different than the kickstarer, which has gold foil words saying "Deluxified" above the airplane.

When I was referring to the deluxe edition being cheap I was referring to second hand sellers.

Edit: Looking on BGG, TMG became aware that amazon was accidentally selling deluxified copies labeled as regular. The post was on July 10th. Whether or no they corrected the issue yet is up in the air.

Bodanarko, when you got yours did it say deluxified on the box?

It’s 100% the deluxified version, metal resource tokens and gold slipcover etc.

The dimensions and Mfg Reference give it away.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bodanarko posted:

It’s 100% the deluxified version, metal resource tokens and gold slipcover etc.

The dimensions and Mfg Reference give it away.

Sweet I ordered it. TMG is aware and likely going to correct this shortly based on their BGG posts. So if you want the deluxe version order now!

Thank you for pointing it out!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Megasabin posted:

Sweet I ordered it. TMG is aware and likely going to correct this shortly based on their BGG posts. So if you want the deluxe version order now!

Thank you for pointing it out!

I was on the fence but since they are looking into it I’m going to grab one. Thanks for pointing it out.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Worst case scenario they ship you a standard version and you get a refund. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do feel bad for people that paid $30 for the Kickstarter when something like this happens, but I also got the game for cheap so it’s a wash.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Oh no

https://twitter.com/paullicino/status/1017810724398256128

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

40K Conquest was already sort of Monopoly, except instead of paying money you get your properties through murder and you only needed one set to win the game. I miss Conquest :(

EBag
May 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Should be getting Brass next week, really excited!

I'm in Canada so I'll probably get it about a week later but me too! The production looks outstanding and I've wanted to try Brass for a long time but the old versions were just so ugly. I'm almost more excited for those poker chips though, will make FCM so much better without having to use that horrible paper money.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Container, Shut Up & Sit Down just released their review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88xO8wtMyoM

They love the game itself but questioned the high price tag and the overall art design. Gotta say I agree, at least regarding the art on the boards. Regardless, looks like a lot of fun to play.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tried some Founders of Gloomhaven solo tonight.

Played the easy mode as the Quatryl and the normal starting position.

Technically I lost at the end of round 4 cause I couldn't pay the influence cost for not being able to deliver a resource at the end of a round but I just kept going to see where the game would go... Still lost at the end cause I had to build a prestige building that I couldn't finish in the last round.

Like the solo mode for his game Forge War planning is everything. Thinking about when to bring which resource into play and timing the delivery to the prestige buildings is so important. The spatial element is also pretty important. I build myself in a corner at the end so I have to keep an eye on that the next time.

Having to import all the basic resources yourself and not being able to follow other players makes every action you take feel crucial.

Overall it is a nice puzzle and I will definitly try to get some more games in.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Container is one of my 10/10 games but the new art really is ugly. They fixed the color issues from the original but hired someone to cut and paste some bits and bobs into photoshop and call it a day.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

al-azad posted:

Container is one of my 10/10 games but the new art really is ugly. They fixed the color issues from the original but hired someone to cut and paste some bits and bobs into photoshop and call it a day.

The whole thing seems like a collection of bad choices. Why on earth did they spend so much time and material on those huge boats and leave the rest of the game so ugly and cheap looking?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

The whole thing seems like a collection of bad choices. Why on earth did they spend so much time and material on those huge boats and leave the rest of the game so ugly and cheap looking?

Their argument with the boats was something like it wouldn't cost any more money to make them bigger and the boats in the original are kind of chalky and crumbly. They fixed the most important problem and that was the poor color choices. I guess in their excitement they just kind of dropped out of perspective stock photos onto a satellite shot of a dock.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Why I didn't KS Founders of Gloomhaven I'll never know. Now I'm on the outside looking in :negative:

I have a pre-order with MM but that will be awhile.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

Why I didn't KS Founders of Gloomhaven I'll never know. Now I'm on the outside looking in :negative:

But... it's already being sold? :confused: Or are those KS copies ordered by stores?
What difference is there between the KS version and the retail one anyway?

I'm grabbing mine tomorrow :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^^ No difference between retail and KS.

Lorini posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the huge delay is not just for retail copies. All US copies were delayed because the fullfillment company was backed up. They've just today started shipping out to US backers, retail is probably not too far behind.