Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What the heck is a "food preserver for cereal"? Was she like, vacuum sealing the cereal? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s my hope. Maybe one of those jar-sealing attachments.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think it's just one of those plastic containers you can pour cereal out of and closes with an airtight seal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But how would that break?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Subjunctive posted:

But how would that break?

Airtight lid thing snapped off? Kids can be hella destructive, lemme tell you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don’t have to tell me, I have one, but even then aren’t those things like $7 at Costco to replace (or return for exchange even)?

E: “those things” being containers, not kids

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Food preservation is a surprisingly dark rabbit hole to peer into. My mom gets pissy if I buy her 3 bananas instead of the 2 she likes and then she puts both her bananas and tomatoes in the fridge which is just wrong.

And all bagged food must be single servings because chip clips are apparently the devil's tool.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BMan posted:

What the heck is a "food preserver for cereal"? Was she like, vacuum sealing the cereal? :psyduck:

Yes? That's a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/SealIn-Storage-Vacuum-Containers-Patented/dp/B0158VQR2K

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, my possibly mentally ill uncle (and aunt and cousin) who wanted to harness the power of the leylines for free energy ended pretty anti-climactically.

They kept their power off and used a generator for about 2 weeks. Then decided that not enough of the neighbors and family had supported them. Most of my family just lied and said that they did, so he is mad at the neighbors and back on the grid.

The leylines were supposed to activate on the eclipse date (which was apparently yesterday in the northern hemisphere or today in the southern hemisphere. I'm pretty sure eclipses don't work that way, though.)

Now, they're just back to waiting for the next eclipse and talking about the government weather control machine up in Alaska.

Here's a journey of their path to the unlimited free energy:

Pre-Eclipse: Optimistic, excited for free energy.

Pre-Eclipse: Getting hyped about free energy from the etheric realm. Trying to get more people on board.

Can feel the magick in the air. Free energy is near!

No free energy yet, but it's definitely coming soon.

Inspiration or something? No idea.

Email from him after the failure to open (close? summon? access? Still not 100% sure) the leylines.

Yes, my aunt and cousin (who are both mentally sound as far as we know) are still 100% on board and exited to try again later.

The whole thing cost them whatever two weeks of fueling a generator, lost food and revenue from harvesting crops early, and a bunch of money (several hundred dollars at least) spent on crystals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, my aunt and cousin (who are both mentally sound as far as we know) are still 100% on board and exited to try again later.
They aren't.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

e. whoa thread moves fast on friday mornings

Single serve cereal sounds bougie as gently caress.

Content: I owe money to loan sharks, how can I get the tax man after me as well?

quote:

-I owned 2 properties, one in BC, one in Alberta

-I just sold my house in BC

-I am on title with my parents on their home

-The home with my parents will now be my primary residence

-I have debts to pay off with the money from the house sale. Both on and off the books. The on the books debts are unsecured lofc and a visa, plus outstanding house bills.

-The off the book debts are the kind that get your knees broken.

-I don't have enough money to pay everyone.

-If I pay the off the book debts , then declare bankruptcy on the rest, will my creditors come after my parents house, even though it's now my primary residence?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DJCobol posted:

They aren't.

I don't think so either, but conspiracy theories apparently don't qualify as a mental illness to doctors unless it is preventing them from functioning.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I was complaining really hard about that guy not being able to cook a few pages ago, and this kinda poo poo is on par. People don't understand what food is anymore.
I have had to explain to multiple people on multiple occasions that the "sell by" or "best by" dates for canned food are completely meaningless because canned food by its very nature is sterilized to kill anything that could grow in it.

DJCobol posted:

They aren't.
*Ron Howard voice*

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 13, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Cereal lady could have a point if her kid eats cereal very seldomly and she gets the single serve cheerios that have a built in bowl. Sure it's not necessarily the best deal but certainly convenient especially if you're not eating cereal at home.

You could also let her know the boxes that have 3 types in them typically consist of smaller individual bags but if a cheerios is a stretch then the lady probably thinks sugar is the Devil's Dandruff.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or she could realize that jars exist.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hoodwinker posted:

I have had to explain to multiple people on multiple occasions that the "sell by" or "best by" dates for canned food are completely meaningless because canned food by its very nature is sterilized to kill anything that could grow in it.

Bacterial growth is not the only change that can occur, and there's chemical and physical degradation that can occur. This doesn't mean it's going to make you sick, but flavor, texture, color, etc degrade with time. That's really what drives those "best by" dates; the manufacturer doesn't want you buying cans from the store that have sat there long enough for what's in them to start tasting bad.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Bacterial growth is not the only change that can occur, and there's chemical and physical degradation that can occur. This doesn't mean it's going to make you sick, but flavor, texture, color, etc degrade with time. That's really what drives those "best by" dates; the manufacturer doesn't want you buying cans from the store that have sat there long enough for what's in them to start tasting bad.
Sure, but that's not what people mean when they ask, "Is it okay to eat this?" And I'm referring to a couple of months after the date for something like a can of beans.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

*Ron Howard voice*

just because the inside of the can is sterile doesn't mean that the food inside can't degenerate by processes unrelated to living organisms and become disgusting

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This is the dumbest derail.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
i hope this is still fresh. :can:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's very on brand for goons to argue about whether a food is Taste Expired or is actually going to kill you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think so either, but conspiracy theories apparently don't qualify as a mental illness to doctors unless it is preventing them from functioning.

Indeed, they can even get you elected president.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Or fall just short :ussr:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's terrible to throw out a whole box of cereal after eating just one bowl, so I just give them to my maid instead.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It Came From Reddit:

quote:

I'll try to make this as straightforward as possible:

**DEBT:** $82,000 (credit cards, car loans, etc)

**SAVINGS:** $35,000

My monthly take-home is $8000 and I'd like to purchase a house within the next year. Is it better for me to:

A) Pay down the debt as much as I can prior to getting pre-approved, while keeping a sizable savings?

**OR**

B) Dump most savings into debt (leaving just auto loans) and keeping just enough to barely cover closing costs?

Thanks in advance to any and all who respond. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

$47K underwater, sure, let's go buy a house!

A commenter posted:

You debt is...most likely...costing you way more in interest every month than that $35K is making you in savings. I'd pay off the high interest debt with that savings. Though, I have to wonder how someone bringing in $8K/month has any credit card debt at all. You make far too much to be paying credit card interest.

The OP posted:

I don't pay credit card interest, but I do have $15k on a card that I pay $1500 on a month to pay it off before the 0% interest expires.

I have a debt consolidation loan (6.71%) and auto loans (4.99%).

Aren't debt consolidation loans a good sign that someone has no clue what the gently caress they're doing finance wise?

E: :lol: I missed this one:

The OP posted:

credit card: $15k

auto 1: $32k

auto 2: $8k

debt loan: $23k

Two car loans! :2bong:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 13, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Guest2553 posted:

e. whoa thread moves fast on friday mornings

Single serve cereal sounds bougie as gently caress.
Business idea: single serve cereal packs with attached serving of milk in special DRM cases that can only be used with proprietary iCerealos milker.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

quote:

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I saved a couple hundred grand on US (and state) capital gains tax when I sold cryptocurrency last month. The guy who organized it is a tax consultant for a Big 4 Accounting Firm so he finds tax loopholes for huge multi-national corporations.

Essentially the owner pays into a fund. The fund then offers a cheap loan, which the borrower subsequently never pays back. Again, I am not the tax expert and I apologize for weaknesses in my explanation.

If anyone has questions about the process I am happy to answer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

It Came From Reddit:

$47K underwater, sure, let's go buy a house!

Aren't debt consolidation loans a good sign that someone has no clue what the gently caress they're doing finance wise?

E: :lol: I missed this one:

Two car loans! :2bong:

I put $22k of >6% APR student loan debt on a no fee, no APR for 15 months card and am paying it off in full at $1600/month. Don’t see anything wrong with that

E: gently caress, forgot what thread I was in. I beg forgiveness for posting about myself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The estate pays it out, one presumes. Like a reverse mortgage for the crypto set.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

That's the good stuff

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Where did you get this from because I would like to hear the explanation for something that is so obviously illegal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol

"Hi, I just want to put in writing that I committed bitcoin tax fraud. I don't know anything about it, but I'm happy to answer any questions!!"

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Where did you get this from because I would like to hear the explanation for something that is so obviously illegal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/8ykqed/i_avoided_paying_capital_gains_tax_on/

It's ok because a guy from a big 4 firm is doing it, so it's legit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It worked in Lethal Weapon 2.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Elysium posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/8ykqed/i_avoided_paying_capital_gains_tax_on/

It's ok because a guy from a big 4 firm is doing it, so it's legit.

quote:

When you default on a loan, as a general rule, the amount forgiven is taxed as income. You can search for "cancellation of debt income", but here is a Forbes article on the topic and the IRS page on the topic.

It sounds to me like you have only managed to transform you capital gains tax into income tax, which is usually taxed at a rate equal to or higher than the rate for capital gains. So now you are worse off than when you started.

The Forbes article also mentions that, even if you never default on the loan and keep it outstanding, the IRS will deem that your loan wasn't actually a loan, but it was a sale, as indeed it was in your case. Tax Court agrees with the IRS in, for example, Jonathan Landow v. IRS.
Hnnnnnnggghhhh

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Imagine owning $100 in stock. You borrow against it via a margin loan for $50, take the $50 out and do with it as you will. There was no sale so you still own the stock but don’t have capital gains taxes, but the stock is now margined. You might be able to shield yourself, but if the loan is forgiven or deficient in bankruptcy, you could have to pay taxes on the forgiven amount.

This is risky because the stock could fall to the point where you would have a margin call where you would be forced to sell, at which point you now owe taxes on your gains, despite already cashing out money and potentially pissing it away on horse-boats, so big structured forms of this include options to limit downside.

Edit: Oh, he meant actually never paying it back, instead of indefinitely deferring the taxes by letting it accrue.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
If the whole cryptocurrency thing has taught us anything, it's the answer to the age-old question "what would you do if you suddenly had a million dollars." Forget buying a house, or charity, or any of that. The first thing people do is attempt tax evasion.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well yeah! Otherwise you only have like $650k!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Please tell me his username is a nod to someone famous or notable that he admires and not the real name of the man who just admitted to committing a boatload of tax fraud on the internet?

Also, the IRS gives rats a cut of their take right?