Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

schism Schism SCHISM SCHISM

https://twitter.com/kristinapet/status/1017851528491790336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

they need to poo poo or get off the pot imo

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

paywall

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sounds about right

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quote:

WASHINGTON—Since Hillary Clinton lost to President Donald Trump, the loudest voices in the Democratic Party have been jockeying to see who can tout the most liberal policies. Sen. Chris Coons is over it.

The Delaware Democrat this week launched a one-man campaign imploring his party to exchange “pie-in-the-sky” promises such as abolishing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, or ICE, for pragmatic policies. Without naming names, the subject of his ire was clear: Democratic colleagues aiming to win favor from the party’s liberal base as they test out 2020 presidential bids.

“Some members of our party, I fear, are instead taking the easy road, and proposing ideas that might sound great in a tweet, like free college, and free health care,” Mr. Coons said in a speech to New Democracy, a centrist Democratic group.

“If the next two years is just a race to offer increasingly unrealistic proposals, to rally just those who are already with us, our strongest supporters, it’ll be difficult for us to make a credible case we should be allowed to govern again,” he warned.

Mr. Coons’s chiding comes as a crush of Senate Democrats are laying groundwork for presidential runs in 2020, with several vying to harness the progressive populist energy that nearly propelled Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, an Independent, to the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2016.

The Democrats’ intraparty fight over how robust their progressive agenda should be began during the 2016 primary contest, and has only accelerated since then, prompting a broader party shift to the left.

Mr. Coons’s comments follow the upset win by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old former Sanders campaign organizer, over House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley in a New York primary on a platform that included abolishing ICE—a proposal sparked by the Trump administration’s policy of separating young children from their families at the border.

Mr. Crowley’s loss spooked Washington Democrats who were already uneasy with their party’s restive base. Since Ms. Ocasio-Cortez won, Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts echoed her call for abolishing ICE and assigning its responsibilities to other federal agencies.

Liberal Democrats say the risk for Mr. Coons’s strategy is that it could demoralize the most energized segment of the party, whose votes will be particularly crucial in the midterm elections, when turnout is generally lower.

Yet centrist Democrats have demonstrated general election success in the Trump era. In March, Pennsylvania Rep. Conor Lamb won a special election upset in a district Mr. Trump carried by 20 points. And last November in Virginia, Gov. Ralph Northam cruised to victory after dispatching the Sanders-endorsed former Rep. Tom Perriello in the Democratic primary.

“The Democratic tent better be really big and there better not be litmus tests or we’ll never defeat Trump and regain congressional majorities,” said Matt Bennett, a co-founder and senior vice president at Third Way, a centrist Democratic think tank.

Mr. Coons’s sharply worded critique of the party’s left wing was unusual because while many congressional Democrats privately agree with him, few are willing to say so publicly.

California Sen. Kamala Harris, a possible 2020 presidential candidate from the party’s liberal wing, hasn’t endorsed abolishing ICE but backs fully re-evaluating the immigration agency. She said she “wouldn’t suppress” any of the debate about abolishing ICE.

“Those concerns should be heard and they need to be addressed,” she said.

Wisconsin Rep. Mark Pocan, who introduced legislation Thursday to terminate ICE and establish a commission to implement a more humane immigration enforcement system, said liberal policies reflect what he is hearing from his constituents.

“People out in the country, not inside the Beltway, understand there’s a problem with the way the agency’s operating,” he said.

Republicans, who failed last month to pass immigration legislation despite weeks of negotiations, are thrilled to have a Democratic-instigated debate about abolishing ICE.

“It’s the craziest position I’ve ever seen,” House Speaker Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) told reporters Thursday. “They’re tripping over themselves to move too far to the left. They’re out of the mainstream of America. And that’s one of the reasons why I feel very good about this fall.”

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R., Calif.) said Thursday he planned to bring Mr. Pocan’s bill to abolish ICE to the House floor for a vote before the August recess.

But Mr. Pocan and two other Democratic co-sponsors accused Republicans of a political stunt to embarrass them and said they would welcome a debate on immigration policy but planned to vote against their own bill.

On Thursday night the Hispanic Caucus voted to oppose the bill and all House Democrats are expected to vote against it, a Democratic leadership aide said Friday.

“If it’s slogan and messaging, I understand it,” Rep. Raul Grijalva (D., Ariz.) said Friday, but he said the bill didn’t do enough to spell out how ICE would be rebuilt. “The message should have had better content.”

Mr. Coons’ message could have ramifications in his home state, where Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has jumped into Delaware’s Democratic primary between Sen. Tom Carper and challenger Kerri Evelyn Harris.

Ms. Ocasio-Cortez this week dispatched campaign staffers to Delaware to help Ms. Harris, who like Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is an ill-funded insurgent arguing the Democratic incumbent is insufficiently progressive.

Mr. Coons said in an interview he is confident Mr. Carper will prevail.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you think I'm gonna take the word of some internet rando over drew "m r cracker" toothpaste there's going to be some disappointment in store for you.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, chris coons can eat my rear end.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

unbutthurtable posted:

I HEREBY UNLIKE YOU

[/url]
[/quote]

lol. I doubt that is how she meant it, but that is now my head cannon.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is the investigation going after individual workers at those bot farms, or only, like, the wealthy owners?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

papa horny michael posted:

Is the investigation going after individual workers at those bot farms, or only, like, the wealthy owners?

Do you think rich people are seriously going to see to it that other rich people suffer the consequences for the poo poo they pull?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nichael, primary coons

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the 12 russians who were indicted today were all GRU officers I think

including guccifer

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
hah hah yes. what a ridiculous possible world this is.

VVV hella

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

the 12 russians who were indicted today were all GRU officers I think

including guccifer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_blUzsgnXc

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

it extremely owns that russians and republicans are literally stealing campaign analytics data and elections but neera and the other dems are spending their time yelling at journalists for reporting on lovely things they said that make them look like assholes instead

1000 times more concerned about their personal brands than the country or their party

1000 times more concerned about their personal brands than the country or their party, title of the Democrats' sex tape

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the centrists are a loving menace i tells ya

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1017838972016517126

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Do you have that life in hell one where it's like "all the snotty tattletales of our childhood grew up to be right wingers"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Do you have that life in hell one where it's like "all the snotty tattletales of our childhood grew up to be right wingers"

That's not true. I was absolutely that kind of poo poo in elementary school, but turns out we don't all stay 6

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Is this loss?

Asking for a friend.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Is this loss?

Asking for a friend.

gently caress you, you piece of poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

galenanorth posted:

I had been thinking "Ban Congress from using the stock market" but they could always get around it by having a family member being the one investing

"Seize the assets of political candidates and their families for the duration of their campaign (and term of office in the case of the winners)" is at the top of my list of electoral reforms that will never happen.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mine is having a maximum wealth for eligibility for public office, easier to enforce

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

gently caress you, you piece of poo poo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

mine is having a maximum wealth for eligibility for public office, easier to enforce remaining alive

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

lmao that hillary's emails actually were a national security issue and probably cost the election

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1017826412672311296

They went in and set MidwestCampaign=FALSE

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ideally, but mine is the compromise position. I'm very reasonable

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mine is having a maximum wealth for eligibility for public office, easier to enforce

But much less fun than "TAKE ALL THEIR MONEY, MAKE THEM LIVE ON MINIMUM WAGE, MAYBE GIVE THE MONEY BACK AFTERWARDS"

It would also be a convenient way of encouraging an increase in the national minimum wage.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you for this idea. If they say it's unreasonable and discriminatory to ban a subset of the population from political office, I'd reply back by pointing out our minimum age requirements of 25 and 30 for the offices of Representative and Senator.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

etalian posted:

They went in and set MidwestCampaign=FALSE

"This artificial intelligence called ADA is planning everything for the campaign, it will be perfectly flawlessly executed."

"Is there a reason it's humming the Russian national anthem?"

"Eh, it's probably fine."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

docbeard posted:

"This artificial intelligence called ADA is planning everything for the campaign, it will be perfectly flawlessly executed."

"Is there a reason it's humming the Russian national anthem?"

"Eh, it's probably fine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhh23-paLU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

galenanorth posted:

Thank you for this idea. If they say it's unreasonable and discriminatory to ban a subset of the population from political office, I'd reply back by pointing out our minimum age requirements of 25 and 30 for the offices of Representative and Senator.

Also you could easily meet it by donating any excess wealth until you were under the limit.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

Also you could easily meet it by donating any excess wealth until you were under the limit.

It would be donated to Switzerland or the Cayman Islands lol

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
A trust held by my immediate relatives.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

unbutthurtable posted:

It would be donated to Switzerland or the Cayman Islands lol

Look we're talking about pie in the sky ideas here anyway, no need to bring reality into this.

It's not like like campaign finance reform is ever going to happen in a post-Citizens United world anyway

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A trust held by my immediate relatives.

That'd make it subject to the estate tax at least, I think

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Imagine how shook this fucker is gonna be if Kerri wins

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Look we're talking about pie in the sky ideas here anyway, no need to bring reality into this.

It's not like like campaign finance reform is ever going to happen in a post-Citizens United world anyway

It will after the court gets packed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah she smells the way things are going and is trying to buy more time to fight off the coup

she's setting it after the elections so she can take credit for any seats the Dems pick up in November

i don't buy the "BLUE WAVE 2018" poo poo but it's going to be downright impressive if the Dems somehow manage to end this year with fewer House seats than they started it with, so it's a pretty safe bet for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
... it's after the elections so that the members of the incoming Congress pick their leadership for the next term

• Locked thread