Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Every morning for the last few weeks on my commute into London Euston I've gone past a couple of old BR-era diesels parked in the goods yard near Wembley. A class 56 and a class 50. I know I have spent too much time in this thread because I'm always slightly surprised that the Class 50 isn't in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I did a tour of some old Underground tunnels underneath Euston last month which still have the posters up from 1963. One of them was for the Blur Pullman and I had much the same reaction as you did

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've always believed the Blue Pullman sets had the kernel of a bloody good idea there. I mean the format of the thing isn't a million miles away from the actually good IC125 sets. Of course they had loads of problems that plagued BR kit of that era and lasted no tine at all before being chopped up...

I'm jealous of you being able to poke around the disused bits of the underground. Were you in the old station bit that's being demolished for HS2?

biglads fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 31, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

biglads posted:

I've always believed the Blue Pullman sets had the kernel of a bloody good idea there. I mean the format of the thing isn't a million miles away from the actually good IC125 sets. Of course they had loads of problems that plagued BR kit of that era and lasted no tine at all before being chopped up...

I'm jealous of you being able to poke around the disused bits of the underground. Were you in the old station bit that's being demolished for HS2?

Yes, got a tour of the old Leslie Green Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway station at Euston - it was saved from demolition till now (unlike the City & South London Railway tube station on the other side of Euston) because the old lift shaft is now used for ventilation and has a big gently caress off fan in it now, which means you can't hear a thing inside the station itself. Surprisingly it's not a listed building, presumably because there are so many other examples of Leslie Green stations still standing.

The coolest bit apart from the posters was getting to go actually inside one of the ventilation shafts, which was bored out using the same equipment and lined in the same way as a tube tunnel. You then got to look at the tracks & platform from above while people had no idea we were there. Also, it's loving windy inside an tube station ventilation shaft. Who knew.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The third and last section of new elevated rail opened up on my trainline last week and trains are running again. 5 rebuilt/upgraded stations and 9 level crossongs removed as part of the project along the busiest trainline.

Anyway, the first steam train went over it on the weekend and someone with a drone chased it a bit and captured some alright footage:

https://youtu.be/r7qdR6rtC0M

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:catstare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wheelslip is a bitch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are all wheels on a modern diesel-electric driven, or just certain trucks/pairs?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MrYenko posted:

Are all wheels on a modern diesel-electric driven, or just certain trucks/pairs?

Yes.

Ok, to be more precise, all new US locomotives since the mid-60s (since the end of the EMD E-Units) have had all axles driven as the default option* (note I didn't say only, see below). Recently, each axle has its own IGBT drive, so theoretically, you could shut down one axle and divert power to the others (prior to that each truck got one).

*BNSF has a fetish for 6 axle trucks with only 4 driven. It's only really used for their high speed, intermodal runs. The GEvos (A1A-A1A) have a special bogie that allows the middle axle, which isn't powered, to be lifted to put more weight on the four driving axles. I'm not sure if the SD70 version (B1-1B) will have the same thing.

So really, it's both, but more commonly all are powered.

e:
Caught this biking yesterday.

click for huge

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Doubleposting because this is tangential to MrYenko's question.

It's the late 1950s. South Africa wants to convert to diesel, finally. However, the problem was (and still "is", depending on point of view) is that SA uses narrow gauge rails (3'6" to be precise). So some creativity was needed.

They solicited bids from major engine manufacturers, with two major options:

A C-C arrangement, with 1000 HP
-OR-
A 1C-C1 arrangement, with 1800 HP

(both had varying order amounts, with the 1800 HP engine having lower numbers, natch)

So, only two major bids came through in the end: American Locomotive Company (Alco) only offering to build the C-C locomotives, and GE saying they'll do either the C-C or 1C-C1, whichever was ultimately preferred.

Guess what was ultimately ordered.

The 1C-C1 arrangement.

Alco's management was so set on the C-C that they ignored all hints from SAR that they wanted the 1C-C1, and the fact that General Steel Casings was willing to build the special trucks for both GE and Alco.

The end result was this: Alco lost a major contract that would have allowed them to stay afloat (they were losing major business to EMD and the upstart GE). GE finally got the big break they were looking for.

Enough time later, GE was able to become the top dog for US locomotives, and that was also involving its big rival shooting itself in the foot (see my SD50 post).

E: Even more tangential: Brazil's narrow gauge railways use D-D arrangements. The smaller traction motors can't take the whole power of the engine when there's six of them, so two more are needed, and it spreads the weight out a bit more. Win-win.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 6, 2018

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Aren't Brazil's narrow gauge locomotives B+B-B+B?

Edit: yep, here it is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_BB40-9W

Edit edit: apparently they did have D-D SD45s though!

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 7, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY446h4pZdc

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
RIP train drivers, no longer needed.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/rio-tinto-sees-google-and-apple-as-competitors-for-its-future-workforce-20180713-p4zr9o.html

quote:

The warning came as Rio delivered iron ore using the world’s first ever long distance, heavy haul driverless train.

The robotic train carried 28,000 tonnes of iron ore a distance of 280 kilometres from Rio’s Tom Price mine in Western Australia to the Pilbara port of Cape Lambert. Its journey was monitored from an operations centre more than 1500 kilometres away in Perth.

The mining industry is undergoing a major technological shift, automating many of its processes and bringing more unmanned vehicles on to mines, however, it has found Australia lacks the number of workers it needs to make this change.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

sincx posted:

Good. The sooner we get fully automated luxury space communism, the better.

Yeah because that's totally what's going to happen, rather than eliminating all jobs below "robot mechanic" and anyone who can't do that is out on the street.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

lots of disgruntled workers, you say? angry at the employing class, you say? and meanwhile we're gonna somehow get to communism?

well of course these things have never been related

*stares at Winter Palace*
*mournful train horn*
*single tear*

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

lots of disgruntled workers, you say? angry at the employing class, you say? and meanwhile we're gonna somehow get to communism?

well of course these things have never been related

*stares at Winter Palace*
*mournful train horn*
*single tear*

Yeah, and how did that turn out for the disgruntled workers?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah, and how did that turn out for the disgruntled workers?

better but still not very good

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
theres a bill in the house to mandate 2 man crews but it doesn't look like its gone anywhere since 2017.

i also think that automating a mining railroad in flat country is probably a lot easier than doing it in the united states, both technologically and politically.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
This is more of a proof of concept right now than economically viable, you need way higher standard of service on rolling stock and infrastructure and that in no way makes up for the salary of drivers. In the future when engines and cars are designed around this from the ground up, it's going to make way more sense.

Talked with an engineer from bombardier a few months ago and he said the traxx series have basically had rc capability since 2010, the limiting factor is infrastructure and regulations.

E: this is like the endgame of etcs/ertms even though they shittalk it in the article. No poo poo it's harder to develop a system for Europe than a small stretch of privately owned track.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 14, 2018

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

This is more of a proof of concept right now than economically viable, you need way higher standard of service on rolling stock and infrastructure and that in no way makes up for the salary of drivers. In the future when engines and cars are designed around this from the ground up, it's going to make way more sense.

Talked with an engineer from bombardier a few months ago and he said the traxx series have basically had rc capability since 2010, the limiting factor is infrastructure and regulations.

E: this is like the endgame of etcs/ertms even though they shittalk it in the article. No poo poo it's harder to develop a system for Europe than a small stretch of privately owned track.

Drag freight at ~6 km/h over a private, segregated line probably makes a pretty significant difference in the risk calculus.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
It's not like it's a new idea either.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

A woman standing on the tracks and filming with her cellphone was hit and killed by UP 844 on their annual Frontier Days trip.

Edit: Video was removed

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 22, 2018

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hella sikk burnout bro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh9g5rftUMg&t=16s

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hella sikk burnout bro!

What would cause the 2nd engine to slip like crazy like that when the first engine shows no sign of any slipping?

Given how slow/non-existant the acceleration was, thinking they probably should have had another engine or two there!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Condition of wheels for one. Uneven wheels like to slip and older wheels that have been (shaved? tuned? grinded? Don't know the English term for this) several times can gently caress with the anti-slip since the diameter is slightly off.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

And even before that (except smaller and underground) with the Post Office Railway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rode over to Butler Yard, a former Chicago Northwestern yard that's now Union Pacific:

Didn't get many good pictures, mostly because the local businesses were open and I didn't feel like tresspassing in a live truck yard. Saw a couple ACEs, that GE up there, pretty sure there was a GEvo hanging around, and a leaser, among other assorted units on the service tracks.

The yard is mostly short hoppers for fracking sand. That string of cars going off to the right was being pulled out by an RC SD40-2 (probably a SD38-2 at this point), mostly aforementioned short hoppers with a few other things mixed in. They also cut part of the tracks for the old wye they used for switching the locomotive direction, so that can't be used anymore for that purpose.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Lately I've gotten obsessed with the Ocean Network Express intermodal containers and their bananas paint jobs. I recently went down to Tacoma just to see a giant container ship with hot pink paint.

That got me wondering, does AI have a shipping or nautical superthread? I searched back a few pages and couldn't find one. I figured if we have planes and trains covered, surely theres a maritime thread...?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Kebbins posted:

That got me wondering, does AI have a shipping or nautical superthread? I searched back a few pages and couldn't find one. I figured if we have planes and trains covered, surely theres a maritime thread...?

just https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682371

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That is one brand spanking new locomotive. It's so clean it looks like a freakin model. Also, I like the way they don't even bother trying to paint or protect the coupler in any way. It makes sense, there isn't a surface finish in the world that wouldn't be hyperfucked the moment it went into service, but they paint the buckets of excavators and that's just about as pointless.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 28, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kebbins posted:

Lately I've gotten obsessed with the Ocean Network Express intermodal containers and their bananas paint jobs. I recently went down to Tacoma just to see a giant container ship with hot pink paint.

I'm sure the crews are glad that the new EMD models have the teardrop windows.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Kebbins posted:

There is also one over in A/T
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393222

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Steam train through an inner city suburb chased by a drone: https://youtu.be/SnjPxz-3xFI

Not enterly legal but it looks cool. I saw it go past further down the line this morning.

He caught it earlier in the month too with a bit of a better chase along a new section of elevated track: https://youtu.be/r7qdR6rtC0M

Edit: or a view from the ground https://youtu.be/kmr2FtVruOw

https://youtu.be/uE-usrXwn7A

drunkill fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 28, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drunkill posted:

Steam train through an inner city suburb chased by a drone: https://youtu.be/SnjPxz-3xFI

Not enterly legal but it looks cool. I saw it go past further down the line this morning.

Other than the very end it looks like he stayed legal, and at the end it's possible he was still ok (hard to judge altitude from a video). At least as far as I know, as long as you stay under 500' AGL and aren't breaking restricted airspace, there is no law against flying your drone around like that.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

That is one brand spanking new locomotive. It's so clean it looks like a freakin model. Also, I like the way they don't even bother trying to paint or protect the coupler in any way. It makes sense, there isn't a surface finish in the world that wouldn't be hyperfucked the moment it went into service, but they paint the buckets of excavators and that's just about as pointless.

its a publicity photo so im surprised that they didn't at least spray paint the knuckle.

vains fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 28, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I caught one of those pink containers on the 4th:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm visiting Seattle this October and I live in San Diego. Is it reasonable to take Amtrak all the way up the coast instead of driving or flying if I have the time to spare?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you don't get a cabin, definitely bring some wet wipes to freshen up in the bathroom and a change of clothes is a must. Pack some food, Amtrak's diner/snack bar will keep you fed but it's like 2x-3x overpriced for what you get.

It's doable in coach, but you'll sleep as well as you would in the passenger seat of your friend's car. Also, he keeps the map light on all night and talks on his phone all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'd love to take a cross-country train trip one of these days, but I would not be able to sleep in my seat and sleeper accommodations are ridiculously expensive. I think the best way to do it would be to get off the train each night to sleep in a motel or something and then get back on the next day, but given how infrequently a lot of the long distance Amtrak trains run that might not be feasible.