Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Which exploitive mobile gacha games are best? I have a terrible hunger.

Fire Emblem Heroes is like an actual Fire Emblem game (writ small) rather than just being a thinly disguised Skinner box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

How do you feel about singing anime girls

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

final fantasy record keeper is good for my 15 minute bus rides to and from work and seems to poo poo free stuff at you constantly, but i will never ever complete the whale-tier challenges that they throw at you every week/month/year (as the god of microtransactions intended), so.

How many Arianas do you have?

Or is that one of their 12 other ones

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Macaluso posted:

How do you feel about singing anime girls

Ignore this question. Play bandori anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

How many Arianas do you have?

Or is that one of their 12 other ones

one of the other ones probably, you can't get dupes of characters you just get dupes of equipments

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

doingitwrong posted:

e: Holy poo poo, Laura Bailey has been in everything.

I just rolled through Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and I remember going “holy crap, Sam was Troy Baker!?” During the credits of 4 and managing to forget it halfway through Lost Legacy.

I was like “oh it’s really cool they could get Sam’s actor to come back for... oh right it’s Troy Baker”.

The fact that Laura Bailey was Nadine Ross didn’t hit me until the credits of Lost Legacy and I still barely believe it. With that and how they somehow managed to get Nolan North to sound unrecognizable for Last of Us I think they have the best voice directors in the business.

I think the only person who still gets past their voice director and stands out is Robin Atkin Downes, and I don’t even know if that’s a complaint.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Ignore this question. Play bandori anyway.

I was actually hinting at Love Live :v:

I tried Bandori, I actually find the guitar hero-esque way it does the notes too... disorienting I guess? I wish it was instead like... overhead so the notes were moving top to bottom instead of how it works

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does Jurassic World Alive count?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Okay I looked it up she's in Final Fantasy Brave Exvisiudos

Just out there singing songs about Dick Bicycles and being Final Fantasy characters. Livin' the dream. Or at the very least living my dream.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say that as someone who's last final fantasy game was 6 not including tactics every final fantasy character you pick up in record keeper from beyond final fantasy 8 or so might as well have their names written in cyrillic for the amount of sense they make to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

doingitwrong posted:

e: Holy poo poo, Laura Bailey has been in everything.

Upon further examination, Jennifer Hale only has two roles in Knack, the third is by Laura Bailey.

What a powerful cast

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skypie posted:

I think my final party always ended up as Zidane, Steiner, Garnet, and Eiko.

Also I'm dumb and never really got the hang of blue magic so even though Quina is apparently stupid powerful, I never made use of the character

Quina is crazy powerful but you really need to grind their Spirit stat. iirc buff spells like Big Guard, Vanish, etc. have their duration set by the caster's Spirit, and Quina's natural score in it is abysmal, like at max level it's <19 (out of a possible 50). It's easy enough to do because Spirit is the most abundant bonus stat on equipment, but you need to know the stat up trick to take advantage of it :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Dangerous Ariana perfectly fits into a Final Fantasy game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The White Dragon posted:

Quina is crazy powerful but you really need to grind their Spirit stat. iirc buff spells like Big Guard, Vanish, etc. have their duration set by the caster's Spirit, and Quina's natural score in it is abysmal, like at max level it's <19 (out of a possible 50). It's easy enough to do because Spirit is the most abundant bonus stat on equipment, but you need to know the stat up trick to take advantage of it :v:

But then you ruin the authentic FF9 experience by making a character's unique abilities useful.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dewgy posted:

I think the only person who still gets past their voice director and stands out is Robin Atkin Downes, and I don’t even know if that’s a complaint.

Robin Atkin Downes will always have the unfortunate stigma of being the inferior British Boss. They should never have replaced Mr. Sheffield from the Nanny. 😑

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dewgy posted:

I just rolled through Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy and I remember going “holy crap, Sam was Troy Baker!?” During the credits of 4 and managing to forget it halfway through Lost Legacy.

I was like “oh it’s really cool they could get Sam’s actor to come back for... oh right it’s Troy Baker”.

The fact that Laura Bailey was Nadine Ross didn’t hit me until the credits of Lost Legacy and I still barely believe it. With that and how they somehow managed to get Nolan North to sound unrecognizable for Last of Us I think they have the best voice directors in the business.

Absolutely some of the best in class voice and sound direction in gaming along with great talent. It makes a difference.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Naughty Dog games also tend to only be 10-15 hours in length, which means they can afford to do coverage for full performance capture with the primary actors in the same scene. It always makes a big difference when actors have another human being to play off of.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Very true. Even when doing remote voice work, having other actors involved increases quality immensely.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi I missed Keanu Reeves chat so I just wanna mention the first film I ever saw that had Keanu Reeves in it.

It was a tv movie called Babes in Toyland that I saw numerous times, I think we had it on VHS. It was about a girl who got transported to toyland and then she had to make friends with people there and get the toymaster to take her home and stuff and the toymaster was Pat Morita playing as Santa Claus and there was an evil guy who lived in a bowling ball and I swear there is a scene where they show or at least mention that he'll sometimes roll his bowling ball house down the road to be a prick to people but I must have been remembering wrong because I couldn't find it and I'm not about to sit through Babes in Toyland to find out.

Anyway, Keanu Reeves was in that film and he played Jack Nimble and he was in love with Mary Contrary but Mary was gonna be forced to marry Jack's evil uncle

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62DGe9i9lGQ

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm really impressed with the makeup artists' ability to make him look so young in this movie.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the first keanu reeves movie i saw was probably speed

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Skypie posted:

I think my final party always ended up as Zidane, Steiner, Garnet, and Eiko.

Also I'm dumb and never really got the hang of blue magic so even though Quina is apparently stupid powerful, I never made use of the character

I don't remember exactly, but I think my final party was Zidane, Quina, Freya, and Amarant. It was kind of a gimmick build around Freya's Dragon Crest doing 9999 and getting Quina down to 1 HP so Goblin Punch would also do 9999. I'm pretty sure how that's how my final battle went, anyway.

One thing about IX that's always rubbed me the wrong way is how I always felt like Steiner and Vivi had to be in my party as a pair. Vivi was okay without Steiner, but ol' Rusty loses his Magic Sword skills without Vivi. Not that Magic Sword is a make-or-break ability, but it felt like hamstringing a character if I didn't give up an extra spot for the mage.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vivi is one of the most interesting characters in any FF game, he should always be in your party.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IIRC Steiner ends up as one of the strongest characters in the game anyway (not that this necessarily means much since FF9 suffers from everyone being capable of becoming overpowered but the damage cap is still 9999 so it doesn't matter who is the strongest when everyone can hit the cap if you build them right). I know speedruns make use of Steiner if only because the Excalibur II is a weapon for him.

It'd break battles a fair amount but I wish FF9 had 5 person teams like FF4 did. I really enjoyed how in FF4 on the DS (and I assume all the previous versions except the GBA version), they gave you a specific party setup but you'd end up with around 4 or 5 people most of the time so the game could tailor the dungeons around what characters you'd have access to as well as force you to learn and adopt new strategies as your team kept getting changed up from dungeon to dungeon. I remember FF9 messing around with party layout towards the end of the game as well, but only for a few dungeons, and I don't remember X doing it much at all outside of underwater fights where you'd only have access to a few characters.

13 did it too but I haven't played 13 so idk if it made good use of forcibly switching up your party or not.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's kinda hosed up that some people would willingly not include Freya in their party

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't remember exactly, but I think my final party was Zidane, Quina, Freya, and Amarant. It was kind of a gimmick build around Freya's Dragon Crest doing 9999 and getting Quina down to 1 HP so Goblin Punch would also do 9999. I'm pretty sure how that's how my final battle went, anyway.

quina does do "being at 1HP" very well thanks to auto life, but honestly i'd rather just use white wind. angel's snack could be great if it used one of each of your consumables to cure EVERYTHING instead of a remedy, which cures basically nothing.

the game really needed a zombieproof ability.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

One thing about IX that's always rubbed me the wrong way is how I always felt like Steiner and Vivi had to be in my party as a pair. Vivi was okay without Steiner, but ol' Rusty loses his Magic Sword skills without Vivi. Not that Magic Sword is a make-or-break ability, but it felt like hamstringing a character if I didn't give up an extra spot for the mage.

it would've been really cool if other characters could coordinate attacks like that too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
now i just wanna go home and play the first disc of FF9

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF9 is and forever will be my GOAT. The characters, the music, the story, the battles, progression, there's not a single thing this game does wrong.

Ok, maybe the load times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never liked blue mages except Gau because they made the smart decision of putting every enemy with a skill into a single area in case you missed them. Yeah, it's a grind to find the one you need but in every other Final Fantasy I gave up on monster abilities and I don't want a guide in hand.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It's kinda hosed up that some people would willingly not include Freya in their party

Do you blame them for forgetting she exists when the game itself forgets she exists after like... I wanna say part way through disc 3 or whatever? I can't remember the last time she's relevant to the plot.

Anyway, I tried looking up gifs of Steiner and google was like "alright, here are the results for steiner ff9 gifs"

Google that's not what I wanted at all

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Maybe one day I'll play FF9 and do the speedrun to get the secret sword for Zidane, the one that requires you to get to the negaverse cathedral within like 24 hours or somethin

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways my concluding FF9 thoughts are please put Freya's outfit into ffxiv

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

She doesn’t do anything story-wise past the rat kingdom part. Lancers are cool but she isn’t

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can see why people like her but Freya is probably the worst party member, objectively speaking.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Freya is cool, it just sucks that she and Amarant end up not getting to do much after their small plot beats. Amarant moreso since you get him late in the game and his involvement is minimal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Freya owns and the sequence from Lindblum to Burmecia is one of the best parts of the game. i really wish you got to spend more time in Burmecia particularly

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

Freya owns and the sequence from Lindblum to Burmecia is one of the best parts of the game. i really wish you got to spend more time in Burmecia particularly

The Lindblum - Burmecia - Cleyra sequence is super cool from a narrative perspective but it's kind of a slog to actually play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
In a lot of FF games I think jump is super useful since the biggest danger is the massive all-party spells that can OHKO and jump gives you a chance to break that up.

• Locked thread