Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like I would have liked the Path of Pain more if I’d done it with an actual d-pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SirSamVimes posted:

That is a real dumb opinions because the movement in this game is so precise and fluid and it deserves a serious platforming challenge.

I think the controls are really precise too but I've heard more than one person complain that the controls aren't precise enough. I don't know how they could be improved any more. The last time I heard this complaint it was from someone who felt the game was unfair because the controls were too imprecise to navigate the environmental hazards. Additionally -- I swear I am not making this up -- they felt it was unfair that you take damage when you touch an enemy, which is how virtually every Metroidvania game ever made works. This same person specifically professed an affection for Castlevania.

I don't know how to respond to these complaints. The smart answer is probably to say nothing and let it go, because it's no skin of my teeth and I strongly suspect the real answer is that they are dogshit at platforming games yet are prepared to blame everyone but themselves for their poor performance, but I hate to see people miss out on the game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand the end to the oath of pain. Where's the dark souls more video game guy for this game.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don’t care if people don’t like the white palace compared to the other parts of the game but every now and then you get posts claiming it is badly designed and that is so ludicrous. Like, I play platformers like Celeste and Super Meat Boy and White Palace is clearly well designed platforming. Even if you don’t want that in the game, it’s crazy to assert it isn’t well-made platforming. It also has a crazy amount of shortcuts you can take by pogo bouncing off stuff, which is cool.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I don't understand the end to the oath of pain. Where's the dark souls more video game guy for this game.

White King loved the first Hollow Knight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i think it was in the chat thread the other day some guy was like "i really hate how they shoehorned in the white palace jumping puzzle at the end of the game when it's so absolutely clear the game wasn't designed for jumping puzzles it loving ruins it" and that was a real :thunk: moment for me

While I don't agree with the guy, and I definitely don't think that about White Palace which was a really cool area, I did feel that way in earlier parts in the game. There's a bunch of side areas that are super tough if you don't have upgrades or awesome charms like hiveblood, and they can be frustrating and feel like super meat boy, except instead of starting a few seconds from your last jump you spawn at a bench 10 minutes away.

In retrospect I do like those areas though, and that they are designed in a way that if you really push yourself you can get cool items early, or you can wait and get them once you have more mobility upgrades and it will be a piece of cake, but the item might seem less exciting by that point. When I finally picked a certain upgrade up I was like "Holllly poo poo, I could have just SWAM through that boiling water, and completely trivialized those jumps with double jump!?! I still felt more badass for getting though it without upgrades in the end.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You actually do almost exactly a meat boy respawn when you hit spikes. You just have limited hits.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

white palace was really cool; I was braced for the worst from posts but it was much easier than celeste. though having hiveblood helped a lot. there were definitely a couple parts that I avoided thinking about the intended solution and climbed a spike wall or something.

for imprecise controls, I could see it if they’re talking about the double jump. it’s got that little swoop. it’s cool though i like it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No Wave posted:

You actually do almost exactly a meat boy respawn when you hit spikes. You just have limited hits.

Yes. But once those are gone you spawn at a bench and in the early game your recovery options are extremely limited.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

guppy posted:

I think the controls are really precise too but I've heard more than one person complain that the controls aren't precise enough. I don't know how they could be improved any more. The last time I heard this complaint it was from someone who felt the game was unfair because the controls were too imprecise to navigate the environmental hazards.

But... The Knight responds to every keypress and you gave complete control over your jumps. You stop going up as soon as you let go of the key. How can you make the movement any more precise?

quote:

Additionally -- I swear I am not making this up -- they felt it was unfair that you take damage when you touch an enemy, which is how virtually every Metroidvania game ever made works. This same person specifically professed an affection for Castlevania.

I've seen this complaint too. I don't understand the mentality that universal contact damage is an inherently bad thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s worth noting that one concession the path of pain makes that the white palace proper does not is all the soul statues are infinite use

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

b_d posted:

white palace was really cool; I was braced for the worst from posts but it was much easier than celeste. though having hiveblood helped a lot. there were definitely a couple parts that I avoided thinking about the intended solution and climbed a spike wall or something.

for imprecise controls, I could see it if they’re talking about the double jump. it’s got that little swoop. it’s cool though i like it

Yeah basically hiveblood was the difference between me enjoying WP and just peacing out. It just turns it into a matter of time and practice. If I was respawning at benches I think I'd have just quit.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

So It Goes posted:

I don’t care if people don’t like the white palace compared to the other parts of the game but every now and then you get posts claiming it is badly designed and that is so ludicrous. Like, I play platformers like Celeste and Super Meat Boy and White Palace is clearly well designed platforming. Even if you don’t want that in the game, it’s crazy to assert it isn’t well-made platforming. It also has a crazy amount of shortcuts you can take by pogo bouncing off stuff, which is cool.
Imo people who complain about the white palace are LOSERS who can't even beat video games by sitting in a starbucks for 6 hours until your girlfriend gets off work like I did

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I really love the focus system. it’s like estus except instead of a fixed number you refuel it by engaging in combat. I mean outside of the few enemy-less sections

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

b_d posted:

I really love the focus system. it’s like estus except instead of a fixed number you refuel it by engaging in combat. I mean outside of the few enemy-less sections

It also includes a trade-off between damage and healing by using the same resource as your spells!

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

But... The Knight responds to every keypress and you gave complete control over your jumps. You stop going up as soon as you let go of the key. How can you make the movement any more precise?

One thing that always annoyed me, just a little bit, is the delay on the double jump. I don't understand why the devs built inertia into exactly one move and then ignored it otherwise

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Someone in this or the Switch thread claimed it had like half a second of input lag and that the game was actually unplayable. I don't know what was up with that, it's not like it's hard to find footage of people playing the game perfectly fine. :iiam:

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

One thing that always annoyed me, just a little bit, is the delay on the double jump. I don't understand why the devs built inertia into exactly one move and then ignored it otherwise

yeah that tripped me up so bad when I first got it. When I got used to it I kinda started loving it though, it makes it feel distinctly different from a regular ol' video game double jump.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Imo people who complain about the white palace are LOSERS who can't even beat video games by sitting in a starbucks for 6 hours until your girlfriend gets off work like I did

I honestly can’t believe that’s what you took away from my post. Did you misquote me for someone else who was actually making a ‘get gud’ type argument?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
it's a joke post, my dude

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

So It Goes posted:

I honestly can’t believe that’s what you took away from my post. Did you misquote me for someone else who was actually making a ‘get gud’ type argument?
I'm not joking buddy I was between jobs last year and literally sat 6 hours in a starbucks beating white palace

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
All of you talking about White Palace better pick up Celeste :colbert:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

It also includes a trade-off between damage and healing by using the same resource as your spells!

yeah!!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Broken Cog posted:

Celeste is a good game and chapter 7 made me feel emotions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't decide between Celeste, Cuphead, or Ori and the Blind Forest for my next foray into a 2D game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

I know I've told this story a dozen times already but Celeste coming out right after I beat the Path of Pain and wanted more was the most perfect timing ever :kimchi:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

I can't decide between Celeste, Cuphead, or Ori and the Blind Forest for my next foray into a 2D game.

Definitely Celeste imo. Ori is good, Cuphead is decent (but with phenomenal art), Celeste is amazing.

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I feel like this is one of the only times that the complaints about imprecise controls has some merit. It can feel like bullshit when you see the wing fluttering animation right before you get impaled on some spikes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

it's none of those actually

get rain world instead

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I found Ori a little disappointing. It's very pretty, and the introduction gave me Feelings, but the combat is just horrifically bad. The exploration stuff is quite nice.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

veni veni veni posted:

There’s no chill exploration parts so Cuphead is just extremely tough all the time unlike HK

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I totally forgot about rain world. That good huh? I remember it having a really nice looking style.

I'm getting all of them eventually, I just can't decide which genre I'm in the mood for.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rain World is hard as balls.

SirSamVimes posted:

I've seen this complaint too. I don't understand the mentality that universal contact damage is an inherently bad thing.

Contact damage takes a lot of getting used to in a mostly melee based game like HK. There’s a much steeper learning curve to avoid taking damage in Hollow Knight fights than there is in say, Super Metroid.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

rain world seems to be extremely polarizing. sounds like it's very hostile at first

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

SirSamVimes posted:

How can you make the movement any more precise?

Let me cancel the dash, Team Cherry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

grancheater posted:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

grancheater posted:

If you fully charge up a dash that's going to get you hurt, take the hit like a man bug void construct.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can cancel the super dash after you start one. it just takes like half a screen to brake

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There's a part where they expect you to power dash and then put a single 'tile' of spikes directly in your path and it made me lol irl. Well, that's my dash story

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's none of those actually

get rain world instead

:agreed:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cuphead is very good i recommend that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I love rain world but it's about as far away as possible from the kind of movement in hollow knight. Play it anyway though