Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
How painful is it to reform the roman empire/mend the schism? I'm really goddamn terrible at marrying my kids into title claims. Every time I've tried to push someone else's claim it's resulted in them becoming independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

CascadeBeta posted:

How painful is it to reform the roman empire/mend the schism? I'm really goddamn terrible at marrying my kids into title claims. Every time I've tried to push someone else's claim it's resulted in them becoming independent.

I did it with my last game, and it wasn't bad, but it was with a Shattered World start, so ymmv. I found it was helpful to make every duchy/country I could, hand them out, and then press claims for whatever counties I could within those territories. If you're lucky, your vassals will start to do it on their own after a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CascadeBeta posted:

It's not that difficult. Mending the schism is easier, since three of the four patriarchy seats you need are held by Muslims. The Old Gods start date doesn't suffer from an Abassyd mega blob, so getting through the holy wars is easier then by the way. And I set my councilor to fabricate a claim on Rome as the first thing I do if I start as the Byzantine Emperor.

Reforming the Empire is also usually a matter of endless holy wars, while in the meantime you set your councilors to fabricate claims on the parts of Italy that you need as well. I think it's only about 8 or 9 counties to fabricate claims on, the rest you get through pressing de jure duchy claims. By the time you've thoroughly dismantled the Muslim Clown Car, you will have the Italian provinces.

This can of course be sped up by marrying into claims or outright inheritances, but as I wrote, fabricating claims is sufficient as well. If all else fails, you can use the Jade Dragon CBs to grab that one province your councilor refuses to produce a claim for.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

How painful is it to reform the roman empire/mend the schism?

As childbirth.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Hah, wildly different responses. My first thought was to start as Alexios in 1081, but is an old gods start more interesting?

Let em rephrase actually: is it more or less fun to start earlier and avoid some death blobs? I don't want to go easy and boring.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 12, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

To gain stuff by pushing claims, you need to meet two conditions:
1) the rank that's being targeted has to be a lower rank than yours,
2) the person who holds the claim has to be either a blood member of your dynasty or a landed vassal of yours

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

IIRC if it's a king level title, you need both parts of #2 to be true.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

2) the person who holds the claim has to be either a blood member of your dynasty, a landed vassal of yours, or the title must be part of your de jure realm
FTFY. You can also take over parts of your de jure realm using either the de jure claim or other JD CBs, but you can press a claim for a duchy without paying a boatload of prestige, which is nice.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

2) the person who holds the claim has to be either a blood member of your dynasty or a landed vassal of yours

So it does nothing if you push a claim of a courtier, unless they are also at least a count? Can you push a claim for a mayor?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dirk Pitt posted:

So it does nothing if you push a claim of a courtier, unless they are also at least a count? Can you push a claim for a mayor?

Or if he is part of you dynasty

And yes, you can push claims for mayors, although Im not sure if he is going to be your vassal after the war

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I've never seen a mayor with a claim. Mayors are randomly generated for each city, including on death/succession since it's an elected position. Well, if you count patricians that have a city then sure, or if you give a city over to a dude with a claim. But your average run of the mill mayor will never have a claim when the game generates him.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

It works for a mayor, though I think it might end up as a republic rather than a feudal title. The important part is that they're landed under you. Pressing someone's claim doesn't, by itself, create a vassal relationship between you and the person in question - they just get the title. So if they aren't already your vassal, they'll just leave your court and go be an independent lord, just like they would if they had simply inherited the title.

If they're already your vassal, on the other hand, they'll stay your vassal and their new title will just be added to their existing holdings and realm. So if you're going to press someone's claim, grant them a title in your realm first. Unless you press a claim that's equal or higher rank to yours, anyway - if your highest title is a kingdom and you push someone else's kingdom claim, then they'll go independent no matter what because a king can't rule over another king.

The exception is if they're a member of your dynasty, or (as others have pointed out) if the title that was pressed was something in your de jure realm. In either of those cases, they'll become your vassal even if they were unlanded before.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

Hah, wildly different responses. My first thought was to start as Alexios in 1081, but is an old gods start more interesting?

Let em rephrase actually: is it more or less fun to start earlier and avoid some death blobs? I don't want to go easy and boring.

Earlier starts are actually easier because the Byzantines just get weaker over time. Old Gods might be a little easier than Charlemagne just because you have the Abbasids and Francia/the HRE to deal with in the latter, but both of them tend to implode pretty reliably on their own (the HRE rarely even forms in the first place), and honestly you’ll be strong enough to take them in a straight fight anyway so it’s not a big deal if they don’t.

Alexios start will probably be the most challenging just because you have a lot of territory you need to claw back and less time to do it, but it’s still far from a “Beta Israel” level challenge so it’s pretty doable if you’re at least moderately familiar with the game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I think I'll stick with Alexios or a vassal of his in 1081 then. I want to drag victory from the jaws of defeat.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
An easy way to game the system for pushing other people's claims is looking at a title's claimants in the title menu and then inviting them to your court. Once they're in your court you don't even need to grant them a county, just a single barony and they'll still become your vassal if the claimed title is a lower rank than yours. If you dont care about vassal kings this makes expanding as an emperor super loving fast.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah Alexios is a hell of a lot of fun. You're beset on all sides by Turks, Arabs, Bulgarians, and Normans, but luckily Al himself is a really drat good character, all of your vassals serve at the Emperor's pleasure, you've got your own personal mercenary unit of angry vikings at a discount, and when you win you can slice off your foes' frank and beans as a trophy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Earlier starts are actually easier because the Byzantines just get weaker over time. Old Gods might be a little easier than Charlemagne just because you have the Abbasids and Francia/the HRE to deal with in the latter, but both of them tend to implode pretty reliably on their own (the HRE rarely even forms in the first place), and honestly you’ll be strong enough to take them in a straight fight anyway so it’s not a big deal if they don’t.

Alexios start will probably be the most challenging just because you have a lot of territory you need to claw back and less time to do it, but it’s still far from a “Beta Israel” level challenge so it’s pretty doable if you’re at least moderately familiar with the game.

OTOH, I heard that Charlemagne is the easiest character to start with; just go through the usual story events, then swear fealty to Byzantium instead of forming the HRE. You're now absurdly powerful and already control half of the duchies you need to reform Rome.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

That's brilliant and almost makes a tiny bit of historical sense.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

darthbob88 posted:

OTOH, I heard that Charlemagne is the easiest character to start with; just go through the usual story events, then swear fealty to Byzantium instead of forming the HRE. You're now absurdly powerful and already control half of the duchies you need to reform Rome.

I appreciate the cunning involved here but even my black heart can't countenance the restoration of the old Roman Empire by anybody but a true Byzantine. :colbert:

To contribute, I think the Charlie start is still best for Rome runs. Abandon Iconoclasm ASAP, sieze the throne if you're not already playing as the Isauros basileus, then focus your efforts on tossing the slavs out of the de jure Byzantine territory while marrying into/fabricating claims on the required Italian territories required to restore Rome (starting with Rome itself, gently caress the Pope.) Try to avoid landing relatives if you like your various Strategos/Exarchs to stay within their de jure territory. As for the Muslim world, exploit civil wars if not decadence revolts among the Abbasids and the Sultans of Egypt and Africa to obtain Tunis, Antioch, Jerusalem, and Alexandria. Save your points with China so that if you can't get those opportunities you can have the dragon break up the Abbasid blob. Once you've restored the Roman Empire the imperial reconquest CB will give you the means to achieve SPQR.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Honky Dong Country posted:

I appreciate the cunning involved here but even my black heart can't countenance the restoration of the old Roman Empire by anybody but a true Byzantine. :colbert:

Only a true Byzantine can restore the empire! *plays as an Isaurian*

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Beta Israel ain't poo poo these days thanks to the joys of religious cults.

Even after the nerf, but they made up for that by letting you secretly convert via holy sites to religions that consider it holy.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Goon Danton posted:

Only a true Byzantine can restore the empire! *plays as an Isaurian*

All I'm saying is I can't bring myself to use a Frank to restore the Roman Empire when there's assloads of Greek Byzantines to use. Especially one like Charlemagne that comes with a shitload of land when it's really not hard to do a SPQR run without cheesing yourself into all of Francia using a Karling bending the knee to the Byzantines.

Half the fun of playing the Byzantines is dealing with their internal politics. Swearing fealty with a veritable empire already under your belt just doesn't feel like it'd be fun at all to me.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Beta Israel ain't poo poo these days thanks to the joys of religious cults.

Even after the nerf, but they made up for that by letting you secretly convert via holy sites to religions that consider it holy.

Yeah secret cults made minority religions waaaaaay more survivable. I've pulled off a Jewish Semien Israel run even before cults but holy poo poo it wasn't easy. Once cults got added it was so much more doable.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 13, 2018

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Eventually hordes get too easy. After a few huge invasions I had too much to fail. So I decided to bail and try out islam again.

I sort of expect zhezdi to implode now. If they end up attacking me then this will backfire majorly. Also why have all of the provinces I conquered changed from the cool persian/arabic art to the lame chinese castles? I see that the culture changed to cuman but... I guess I should be able to flip them back to persian if I culture swap?

On another note, seljuk will probably own me the next time he catches his breath.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I got SPQR from Britannia by rebuilding the Byzantines peice by peice after it got destroyed by Jihad

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 11, 2018

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Also why have all of the provinces I conquered changed from the cool persian/arabic art to the lame chinese castles? I see that the culture changed to cuman but... I guess I should be able to flip them back to persian if I culture swap?

The pointy ones? Those aren't Chinese, they're Altaic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

God drat, that changes absolutely everything about playing in Italy. Now the empire is going to be harder to form, but there's an easier kingdom, and you don't necessarily have to fight the pope, and the mountains, but they're not that big, so those maybe don't matter so much...

It just occurred to me recently that Switzerland doesn't really have any events in CK2 or Europa Universalis to create it, and so all those paradox mega-lps end up without a Switzerland ever. Is there any mod to put them in, or do you have to just kinda play upper Burgundy and act like Burgundian culture is Swiss if you wanna play those cheesemaking bankers?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Switzerland is a thing in CK2 but only in 1291, I think. Trouble is it's an unplayable vassal republic of the HRE. You're right about there not being a Swiss culture at all though.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

You're right about there not being a Swiss culture at all though.

Yes, that is the world we live in.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Swiss a culture IRL?

I thought it was like four or five cultures crammed into a confederation by pure chance and geography.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Swiss a culture IRL?

I thought it was like four or five cultures crammed into a confederation by pure chance and geography.

The culture consists of trying to explain it all to foreigners.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Swiss are mountain Germans.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
e: This isn't the Rimworld thread.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

e: This isn't the Rimworld thread.

Try to marry your youngest daughter to the megasloth's youngest son matrilineally, then assassinate the older sloths

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You know, there's a lot of evil things you do in this game but the only thing that consistently makes me feel bad is when you sacrifice the elephants to Kali.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

For me it's the intrigue training event where you stage a necklace theft and frame your cook's wife, and then forget about her for literal years before you jolt awake in the middle of the night and go try to let her out, and iirc she has a chance to have died in there.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I feel pretty bad about plotting to kill my Slow or Inbred grandchildren. Especially when like everyone in court wants to help me.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I felt really bad when I chose to have my wife cucked by Satan and she was super psyched about it.

I realize this is a cool thing wife but you don't have to be so enthused over sexing up some other guy

Somehow everyone knew it wasn't my kid too. I wanted my dynasty spawn of Satan :(

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

I feel pretty bad about plotting to kill my Slow or Inbred grandchildren. Especially when like everyone in court wants to help me.

You might get the kinslayer trait from this, so make sure the reason for having them killed is worth it! I'm not saying kinslayer should 100% always be a dealbreaker but I always make sure the gains are worth that burden.

I've got a question though. I'm trying for the Aladdin achievement and am currently playing 769 Jinquan. Not that it's relevant to my question but holy gently caress this isn't an easy start. But being Han I have the intrigue decision (though obviously I don't qualify for it yet) to adopt Chinese Imperialism. The wiki is rather sparse on the details of what that means. What's different about Chinese Imperial government from standard issue Feudalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

You might get the kinslayer trait from this, so make sure the reason for having them killed is worth it! I'm not saying kinslayer should 100% always be a dealbreaker but I always make sure the gains are worth that burden.

I kill them because I don't want to have to play as them, which seems as good a reason as any :shrug:

• Locked thread