Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I agree. It fits in with the "final frontier" thing.

Here's another DS9 dump:

The Homecoming
Good concept with the man vs. the myth. I'm pretty sure before this is all over, Li Nalas is going to kill himself heroically.

The Circle
I thought Bareil was supposed to be kind of scummy before. Now I wonder if you're supposed to legitimately want Kira to get together with him. I think he's still supposed to be creepy. Isn't he? Wait, did Bashir just get shot? Oh, he's okay now. I wonder why Frank Langella wasn't credited for any of these.

The Siege
Li Nalas killed himself heroically. This story was not worth 3 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

womb with a view posted:

Here's another DS9 dump:

The Homecoming
Good concept with the man vs. the myth. I'm pretty sure before this is all over, Li Nalas is going to kill himself heroically.

The Circle
I thought Bareil was supposed to be kind of scummy before. Now I wonder if you're supposed to legitimately want Kira to get together with him. I think he's still supposed to be creepy. Isn't he? Wait, did Bashir just get shot? Oh, he's okay now. I wonder why Frank Langella wasn't credited for any of these.

The Siege

This was just the fever dream Ben Horne had directly after his Civil War fantasy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

womb with a view posted:

Here's another DS9 dump:

The Homecoming

The Circle

The Siege

I liked the surprise Wings brother in the third ep

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Iirc Langella specifically asked not to be credited. His kids liked Trek so he wanted to do a few episodes and didnt want people to think it was just for money.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

There can be no better way to watch Trek than with these two and the vino on tap.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

VitalSigns posted:

I thought the TOS backstory was more interesting honestly.

It was pretty heavily implied that humanity had been colonizing planets with lightspeed ships before the invention of warp drive. Zephram Cochrane was of course from the colony on Alpha Centauri. In The Cage they explain to the survivors (well, I guess there was really just one survivor) of the crashed colony ship that warp drive is brand new and it doesn't take decades to reach new colonies anymore.

The Romulan War was fought with remote controlled ships armed with nuclear missiles and no one had ever seen a Romulan because no one had agreed on an IEEE video standard yet.

The social and technological progression seemed a lot more gradual with a lot more story potential then "drunk dude revolutionizes physics from his post-apocalyptic crap-encampment (somehow?), the Vulcans show up and boom everyone has viewscreens and phasers"

The backstory was pretty classic sci-fi in the "gave a poo poo" era of early Trek, but you cannot get more TOS than a drunk dude revolutionizing physics with brilliant engineering feats.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wish Bareil had died at that point and not Li Nalas

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://i.imgur.com/vFInwiP.gifv

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I thought the TOS backstory was more interesting honestly.

It was pretty heavily implied that humanity had been colonizing planets with lightspeed ships before the invention of warp drive. Zephram Cochrane was of course from the colony on Alpha Centauri. In The Cage they explain to the survivors (well, I guess there was really just one survivor) of the crashed colony ship that warp drive is brand new and it doesn't take decades to reach new colonies anymore.

The Romulan War was fought with remote controlled ships armed with nuclear missiles and no one had ever seen a Romulan because no one had agreed on an IEEE video standard yet.

The social and technological progression seemed a lot more gradual with a lot more story potential then "drunk dude revolutionizes physics from his post-apocalyptic crap-encampment (somehow?), the Vulcans show up and boom everyone has viewscreens and phasers"

Yeah, this. The culmination of all of this was Enterprise with its general feel of TNG but smaller and clunkier.

Will always maintain that they should have gone some crazy ring ship type design for the NX-01 that could only carry as many people as the final design, but was as big as a Galaxy class or something due to it being primitive technology that required a ton of brute force engineering.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 13, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

Will always maintain that they should have gone some crazy ring ship type design for the NX-01 that could only carry as many people as the final design, but was as big as a Galaxy class or something due to it being primitive technology that required a ton of brute force engineering.

Enterprise did do that to the Vulcans. Their ships were these oversized tubes bisected by a central ring.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Vulcanian ships were pretty cool. Not very logical looking, though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's a pretty emotional way to look at them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is what peak performance looks like

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Invasive Procedures
Tuvok?? Another episode about Jadzia that somehow manages to not really be about Jadzia. I didn't realise those were pouches on the Trill stomach, I thought they were badly done surgical incision makeup.

Cardassians
Garak seems fun. I dunno about removing the kid from the only life he's ever known, Sisko, but I guess Bajoran Dad did kind of mess him up.

Melora
My viewing partner has a massive boner for The Expanse so he wasn't very impressed by the low gravity effects. I don't understand why Melora couldn't have gone back after getting used to higher gravity, surely it's easier to go from high to low than low to high?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
No one is very impressed by Melora.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaysette posted:

No one is very impressed by Melora.

Worth it for Klingon Chef

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

womb with a view posted:

Invasive Procedures
Tuvok?? Another episode about Jadzia that somehow manages to not really be about Jadzia. I didn't realise those were pouches on the Trill stomach, I thought they were badly done surgical incision makeup.

Cardassians
Garak seems fun. I dunno about removing the kid from the only life he's ever known, Sisko, but I guess Bajoran Dad did kind of mess him up.

Melora
My viewing partner has a massive boner for The Expanse so he wasn't very impressed by the low gravity effects. I don't understand why Melora couldn't have gone back after getting used to higher gravity, surely it's easier to go from high to low than low to high?

Spending any extended amount of time in low g, if she had completed her treatments, would have hosed up her central nervous system, particularly her motor skills

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That episode sucks. On top of that, a planet with as low gravity as the character from Malora shouldn't have been able to hold an atmosphere for long enough for a civilization to evolve.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s just a bad crummy episode and boring.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, it's a good Bashir episode because it demonstrates his weird devotion to trying to fix broken women.

Whether those women are even broken or want his help, that's something else. But it's kind of his entire way of interacting with women.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pick posted:

It’s just a bad crummy episode and boring.

But it's got the Klingon chef.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

That part is good but that’s it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Epicurius posted:

That's what Youtube is for.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd enjoy a show where they followed a small crew on a rinky-dink little ship, maybe like 5-7 people at very most. Make it an ensemble comedy, one of the characters is the Klingon chef as galley cook. Make him an excessively passionate dude, gets way too into things. I can write up a full treatment, just ask!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brawnfire posted:

I'd enjoy a show where they followed a small crew on a rinky-dink little ship, maybe like 5-7 people at very most. Make it an ensemble comedy, one of the characters is the Klingon chef as galley cook. Make him an excessively passionate dude, gets way too into things. I can write up a full treatment, just ask!

Just make a whole show about the crew of a Klingon bird of prey. DS9 proved you could do it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Just make a whole show about the crew of a Klingon bird of prey. DS9 proved you could do it.

The Klingon FMV game was all about this too and it was pretty good.

Except for the stupid bomb defusal part :argh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Every time people talk about those episodes it reminds me of how Kor and whatever nameless crew went with him went out like loving bosses. I don't know how they did that with a mostly comedy character that showed up for only 2 episodes before that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ummmm Kor has been in episodes

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

tigersklaw posted:

#EmissaryingWhileBlack

Aha, ok. I'd immediately assumed it was referencing a well known scene from a movie or something, so I probably had no chance of figuring that out. Thanks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Ummmm Kor has been in episodes

Yeah, 3 of them in DS9. And he showed up only once in TOS I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Epicurius posted:

Edit his part into another episode, delete the rest of Melora.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Spending any extended amount of time in low g, if she had completed her treatments, would have hosed up her central nervous system, particularly her motor skills
Melora would have made a lot more sense if she wasn't a pretty woman in some generic alien makeup. Obviously that would've interfered with Bashir wanting to gently caress her - or would it? - but I think the story would have made a lot more sense and retained many of the same beats.

Alternately she should have been a low-G adapted human like a crashlander or something. But that would've been harder to explain, I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is way more amusing to think of Bashir chasing tail if it looks like a mass effect hanar

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
“I want to stick it in slow kind of concave area! Slipperier the better!”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pick posted:

“I want to stick it in slow kind of concave area! Slipperier the better!”
He can even still be hot for Dax, just not for the reason you expect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pick posted:

It is way more amusing to think of Bashir chasing tail if it looks like a mass effect hanar

There's got to be alien fetishists in the Trek universe. The weirder the species the better.

:heysexy: "So this brothel... any tholians? Horta?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

There's got to be alien fetishists in the Trek universe. The weirder the species the better.

I think you mean :riker:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

I think you mean :riker:

Lol

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek: Red Dwarf. One character is even a hologram!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

"... and for you REALLY freaky folks, we've got a Calamarain. Not sure what exactly you can do with that, but there it is."