Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my complaint with ff9 is just that i really disliked the combat and that made it kind of a slog to play after a point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

[x]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Vivi is one of the most interesting characters in any FF game, he should always be in your party.

I respect the jump rope king

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Vivi is one of the most interesting characters in any FF game, he should always be in your party.

Vivi is the Geno of Playstation-era Square. Loved by so many except the people who made him.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My complaint with FF9 is that you're forced to use trance when the meter fills up.

Also, Jump is good because Jump is the reason I was able to beat the final boss in final fantasy 4 DS after he kept killing my entire party and he never actually took a turn to do anything while Kain got to jump 4 times in a row and deal the finishing blow

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My own Jump is like the number one cause of my death in ffxiv

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

E: nevermind

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I respect the jump rope king

Move over Mario.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

I've played through almost every game of the series and I've never heard "jump" before?

It's in all the old-school FFs and some of the more modern ones. The traditional effect is that you become invincible and untargetable for a bit as you're leaping through the air, then you land on the enemy. It usually does bad damage given the time investment normally, but gets a damage boost if you're equipped with a spear.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cheetah7071 posted:

It's in all the old-school FFs and some of the more modern ones. The traditional effect is that you become invincible and untargetable for a bit as you're leaping through the air, then you land on the enemy. It usually does bad damage given the time investment normally, but gets a damage boost if you're equipped with a spear.

Agh dammit you saw that post before I realized y'all were talking about the Dragoon skill and not some arcane JRPG min/maxing jargon and deleted it :argh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jump was the only way I could beat Wiegraf in that bullshit battle. Always stagger your saves, people.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol how embarrassing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's an integral part to beating Zeromus for a lot of people. Including me all like 6 times I beat him.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I never liked blue mages except Gau because they made the smart decision of putting every enemy with a skill into a single area in case you missed them. Yeah, it's a grind to find the one you need but in every other Final Fantasy I gave up on monster abilities and I don't want a guide in hand.

The Veldt only gives you mobs you've encountered, so if you missed a particular mob, it's gone forever :eng101:

Skypie posted:

Maybe one day I'll play FF9 and do the speedrun to get the secret sword for Zidane, the one that requires you to get to the negaverse cathedral within like 24 hours or somethin

Never speedrun FF9, just use the Gameshark if you're on a ps emulator or save editing if you're playing the steam version. The objective is "get to the room where you fight Lich in Memoria, in under 12 hours" (and the sword is for Steiner. Looks baller af though)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bloodychill posted:

It's an integral part to beating Zeromus for a lot of people. Including me all like 6 times I beat him.

lol if you ever let Kain stand on the battlefield instead of keeping him in the sky where he belongs

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mario is the best dragoon

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

now that you mention it, mario doesn’t have a jump that actually removes him from combat in any of his rpgs. shameful

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

Mario is the best dragoon

objectively false. mario can't jump on spiny enemies without kuribo's shoe, but kain can

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

he lands with his spear though, like a coward

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
only if he's equipped with a spear. give him no weapon or shield

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

don't you actually lose the command in some games without anything equipped?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skypie posted:

Maybe one day I'll play FF9 and do the speedrun to get the secret sword for Zidane, the one that requires you to get to the negaverse cathedral within like 24 hours or somethin

Two non-cheating ways to get it.

1. Get to the like...second to last room I think of the final dungeon in under 12 hours in order to obtain the strongest sword in the game, the Excalibur 2, for Steiner

OR

2. Leave the game running for a long enough time to cause the timer to wrap around and think it is under 12 hours again. This will take about 2 years and 98 days.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I like it when RPGs separate the parties forcing you to play through multiple characters that otherwise mightve been ignored, particularly in FF6 and Suikoden III. They do a fair bit of that in FF but it felt like Steiner was considerably underleveled by the time they were rejoined.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They do a fair bit of that in FF but it felt like Steiner was considerably underleveled by the time they were rejoined.

Yeah this bullshit is annoying. If you're going to forcefully split my party for a considerable amount of time then please scale their levels! This isn't Pokemon where you have to worry about them missing out on moves.

I remember getting Chester back near the end of Tales of Phantasia just to find he's still at level 6 or whatever. Goddamn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1017881738264170498

This owns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It owned with FF4 though because when Cecil becomes a paladin, he reverts back to level 1 so your party dynamic suddenly shifts to "everybody protect cecil oh dear god he's gonna die"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

It owned with FF4 though because when Cecil becomes a paladin, he reverts back to level 1 so your party dynamic suddenly shifts to "everybody protect cecil oh dear god he's gonna die"

That was kinda cool in that it makes the game mechanics internally consistent. He was a level whatever Dark Knight but he doesn't have any experience as a Paladin so he starts at 1. Neat!

But he also catches up to everyone pretty much by the time you reach the bottom of Mt. Ordeals again so whatever.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 13, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gently caress FF4 was just so good. I should pay it again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Too bad about The After Years tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the replies to the ubisoft tweet are really good lol

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

The Veldt only gives you mobs you've encountered, so if you missed a particular mob, it's gone forever :eng101:

Never speedrun FF9, just use the Gameshark if you're on a ps emulator or save editing if you're playing the steam version. The objective is "get to the room where you fight Lich in Memoria, in under 12 hours" (and the sword is for Steiner. Looks baller af though)

When I was a kid, one of the "my uncle works at nintendo" rumors was that you could leave the game running until the clock reset back to 0 after like 99 hours played, and that would let you get the sword. so I left my Playstation running for like 5 days straight to tick over the clock but it didn't work :smith:

how many of those dudes crying in the replies do you think were also saying "hm actually it's good that Jessica Price got fired" last week

Skypie fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 14, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skypie posted:

how many of those dudes crying in the replies do you think were also saying "hm actually it's good that Jessica Price got fired" last week
It's an entirely overlapping circle.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skypie posted:

at least 200% of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You'll all be sorry once the SJWs win and Nintendo starts autobanning anybody who uses Booyah sarcastically

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i saw the marina amiibo. v-bones are back baby

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In Training posted:

You'll all be sorry once the SJWs win and Nintendo starts autobanning anybody who uses Booyah sarcastically

W*omy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Would I get banned for saying Inklings and Octolings look alike

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be Lore friendly. Hell pearl doesn't even know Marina is an octoling

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Pearl is 21 and Marina is 18 which means Pearl is that one that has to buy alcohol for Marina and that's some hosed up lore right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

good, and also anyone that hits the squid button more than 3 times in one second

• Locked thread