Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Shoto can both hate his dad and still not want him to be murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It’s also possible this isn’t even a redemption arc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked the panels when todoroki finally collapsed to the ground after seeing his dad wasn't dead

his face very accurately captured that feeling you get when your body gently reminds you that you have not taken a breath in seven minutes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Shoto can both hate his dad and still not want him to be murdered.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, Bakugo, most people have this feeling called "Not murderous rage".

I know.

It's hard to imagine, but it's true!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm hearing from others that people (Read: a subset of english fans) are sending Horikoshi death threats over this last chapter, which, ya know, is a very mature thing to do and doesn't make you come off like a loving psychopath at all.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, Bakugo, most people have this feeling called "Not murderous rage".

I know.

It's hard to imagine, but it's true!

He's at a real loss you could say.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Onmi posted:

I'm hearing from others that people (Read: a subset of english fans) are sending Horikoshi death threats over this last chapter, which, ya know, is a very mature thing to do and doesn't make you come off like a loving psychopath at all.

It also feels a bit hypocritical to send someone death threats because you don't like that a character was abusive. Something something it's a cycle.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

If it's true, I dearly hope Horikoshi can't read English. Or that he realizes it's only a small, insignificant part of the fanbase. It saddens me that he may believe this is how the west in general feels.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

If it's true, I dearly hope Horikoshi can't read English. Or that he realizes it's only a small, insignificant part of the fanbase. It saddens me that he may believe this is how the west in general feels.

I think he's been to enough English conventions to know that people generally like him. Not that it means he should be having to get this stuff, it's pure bullshit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onmi posted:

That's awful. I just don't get why people do that. They can just stop reading!

EDIT: I'm looking right now, and I can't find people sending death threats, just people reacting to the one bad tumblr post. We might be making a mountain out of a molehill here

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 13, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:smithicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sending death threats for anything is very stupid, but doubly so for this

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised this chapter is what's causing all the anger. I feel like the past couple of chapters were doing way more to try and explain away a bunch of Endeavour's actions, but not so much in this one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

sending death threats for anything is very stupid, but doubly so for this

I think sending death threats to presage your vengeance for the murder of your father by some manner of corrupt aristocrat is acceptable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all I saw it doing was showing what he did and how he felt about it. nothing said he was being forgiven or even that he thought it was ok (which he clearly did not). worrying that it might happen is one thing but I feel like any kind of anger is jumping the gun a lot

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Like, if nothing else, at least wait until the arc is over before you pass judgment on the whole thing?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How would somebody on Tumblr send Horikoshi a death threat, and how would we know if they had?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rhonne posted:

Like, if nothing else, at least wait until the arc is over before you pass judgment on the whole thing?

:hai:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm surprised this chapter is what's causing all the anger. I feel like the past couple of chapters were doing way more to try and explain away a bunch of Endeavour's actions, but not so much in this one.

The catalyst is 100% Shoto being shown displaying an emotion that can be construed as anything other than undying, loathing hatred for his father.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

loving children

i'm extremely angry at these people for some extremely e/n reasons

suffice to say that hating a parent for being severely emotionally abusive didn't stop me from losing my poo poo at her funeral, i wonder what these headasses would have to say about that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Emotions are super complicated. Doubly so when they involve your parents.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess Shouto looked, like, glad he wasn't dead or something? And that triggered all this?

(Geez, hadn't even meant to make a tumblr triggered joke, more like 'the trigger to an explosion'.)

This is seriously messed up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At this point, it feels like the emotional arc of this arc is going to be more Shoto coming to terms with his feelings about his father than a redemption for Endeavor.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There aren't really a LOT of people being this stupid. It's just a really small amount of people being loud about it. Most of the people I see who hate the recent developments are baffled by the apparent death threats...none of which I've seen actually directed at the guy but mostly just in rants.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can tell the people complaining on tumblr never actually dealt with abuse. E/N levels of poo poo (Seriously this is personal stuff, don't feel bad about not mousing over it) but I had to suffer being beat by my father almost daily growing up for awhile and was always whipped into training for sports I had no interest in. If I asked for something else I'd get struck. If I failed I'd get the poo poo kicked out of me. I'd be name called, humiliated publicly and I'd be dragged around and shown off like some kind of trophy at public meetings. It was a life I couldn't escape from because my mom was handicapped and he was friends with the police force so I just had to live with the abuse.

A few years ago he got put in a hospital and was told he had a very short while to live. I haven't seen him in a few years but I still found myself worried to death that he was going to die despite everything. I talked with him over the phone and while I could never bring myself to forgive him for what he did to my mother and me I was still hosed up that he was dying. When he did pass I was distraught for weeks and could barely function and it still haunts me to this day for some reason.

I'm not going to say the writing is perfect but Todoroki's panic really resonates with me and is super effective and seeing snowflakes act upset just frustrates me to no end.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not going to say the writing is perfect but Todoroki's panic really resonates with me and is super effective and seeing snowflakes act upset just frustrates me to no end.

It's Tumblr. Getting mad over trivial poo poo and living in a bubble is their daily dose of life. I wouldn't put them in the same level of rationality as a normal person so don't get frustrated over those idiots.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
A new character from the movie has been revealed.

His name is Godzillo, and he's a professional hero.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side, language, cultural and geographical barriers do a good job of preventing most harassment that is/would be going on.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can tell the people complaining on tumblr never actually dealt with abuse. E/N levels of poo poo (Seriously this is personal stuff, don't feel bad about not mousing over it)

Thanks for sharing this by the way and I'm sorry you had to go through all of it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheTrotsworth/status/1017957894342434816

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This is art. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thanks for that, we've had so much fandom negativity that I genuinely needed a reminder that said fandom can create some wonderful things too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

ok maybe some movie characters should appear in the manga

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Supersonic Shine posted:

This is why I love the MHA world so much. Horikoshi can create whatever hero design he wants and due to the way quirks work it will all make sense.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

whys godzilla the hokage?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am also assuming Gojiro exists in part because Toho produces the anime.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Because Godzilla as the hokage is awesome.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They revealed a few other movie heroes. I'm a big fan of Wasp Woman and Violin Man.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I think sending death threats to presage your vengeance for the murder of your father by some manner of corrupt aristocrat is acceptable.

It's just going to result in more security and guards, thus remaining stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

who's going to tell him no