Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Pierzak posted:

But... it's already being sold? :confused: Or are those KS copies ordered by stores?
What difference is there between the KS version and the retail one anyway?

I'm grabbing mine tomorrow :haw:

WHERE? Geezus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

^^^^^ No difference between retail and KS.
Whoa. Back up. Sanity? In Kickstarter? You're talking nonsense!

Lorini posted:

WHERE? Geezus.
It was the KS edition after all:

https://www.planszostrefa.pl/pl/p/Founders-of-Gloomhaven-Kickstarter-edition/8780

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is this game good? I haven't seen much on it yet. None of the geekbuddies have it yet.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hey guys I’m looking to get rid of some games because I bought a few recently, take a look and make an offer if you see something you want I just need some games gone. There’s a few I listed that I’m willing to trade for.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863174

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Pierzak posted:

It's Isaac Childress, who has managed to come out of three KS's with community goodwill intact. Does things right and probably leaves some money on the table as a result (definitely in the case of what he charged for shipping on both runs of Gloomhaven).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Anyone in this thread want to start a 3-player FCM or Great Zimbabwe game on BGC? I don't really remember how to play Zimbabwe so I'd be pretty poo poo at it the first few games.

I don't think I'd want to do 4p because it would take too long.

I'm at home all day with my kid now but would be able to take the turns pretty quick as they came up. Looking for people who could handle multiple turns per day so the games don't drag forever.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There are usually people down to play TGZ in the discord

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Pierzak posted:

It was the KS edition after all:

https://www.planszostrefa.pl/pl/p/Founders-of-Gloomhaven-Kickstarter-edition/8780

That's $89 US without shipping. Amazon says they'll have it next week for $77 and my pre-order is $49 from Miniature Market so I think I'll wait. Thanks for the info.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

angel opportunity posted:

Anyone in this thread want to start a 3-player FCM or Great Zimbabwe game on BGC? I don't really remember how to play Zimbabwe so I'd be pretty poo poo at it the first few games.

I don't think I'd want to do 4p because it would take too long.

I'm at home all day with my kid now but would be able to take the turns pretty quick as they came up. Looking for people who could handle multiple turns per day so the games don't drag forever.

Yeah I'm keen. I will.play real time I'd you get in the discord too.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone played Sol? The Cole Wehrle and Space-Biff reviews have me pretty hyped and I know no one else who has even heard of it. It looks like it’s still available on the publisher’s site.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Sol? The Cole Wehrle and Space-Biff reviews have me pretty hyped and I know no one else who has even heard of it. It looks like it’s still available on the publisher’s site.

I have. It's certainly interesting and different with a big spatial element and unique theme. Gameplay-wise? Not so sure.

Cole makes lots of big statements. I find it's useful to dial them back a bit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cole Wehrle is someone who really appreciates theme strongly tied into gameplay regardless if it works well or not. The guy likes and designs strongly thematic games but you have to read between his praise of aesthetics to find out how things work together in play.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

That's $89 US without shipping. Amazon says they'll have it next week for $77 and my pre-order is $49 from Miniature Market so I think I'll wait. Thanks for the info.
More like $82 without any discount and yeah, they do add a markup for KS versions. Still better than buying them sight unseen.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I can’t play real-time due to kid. I kind of hate discord (not this thread discord, just discord in general) but might get on later...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://mailchi.mp/af535d1503d6/kickstarter-update

quote:

When we set the project on Kickstarter, we faced an issue as weird as unexpected.
Long story short, for mysterious bureaucratic reasons, Kickstarter does not allow Portuguese Companies to launch a project.
Being this our first campaign, and, let’s face it, underestimating a bit the actual size of this issue, we thought that it was possible to fix it in time for the launch of Madeira and Zhanguo. Well, we were wrong!!!

We are now disappointedly forced to postpone the campaign. We are sure you’ll understand that, for now, considering the situation, we cannot commit to a certain date for the launch, but rest assured that we are working hard in order to be able to announce the new date asap. We apologize, and we would be grateful if you can bear with us for a bit longer.

Bleh.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Cole Wehrle is someone who really appreciates theme strongly tied into gameplay regardless if it works well or not. The guy likes and designs strongly thematic games but you have to read between his praise of aesthetics to find out how things work together in play.

Yeah, I can see that, too. Looking over his reviews and ratings though, I haven’t really strongly disagreed with any of his takes so I’ve kind of been stalking his play-history recently to find out what else he may like that I have never played.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I'm trying to learn Founders of Gloomhaven and its tough going. The range of actions available each turn as well as the amount of follow-on actions is confusing and hard to evaluate and the possibilities only seem to increase as you play and more advisers and buildings get placed and the board state becomes difficult to read. I think its going to be amusing if you really like economic games where you can jostle with other players over resources but it doesn't feel like a unmissable classic. This is just based on my two learning games so far.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kore_Fero posted:

Founders of Gloomhaven I think its going to be amusing if you really like economic games where you can jostle with other players over resources but it doesn't feel like a unmissable classic. This is just based on my two learning games so far.

I am reading this quite a lot and I don't get it. Why must this game become a classic? It is a mid heavy euro for up to 4 players in a market that feels saturated with these kind of games? Is it just because of Gloomhaven? Poor Isaac.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

al-azad posted:

That's a fair take. I recollect his effusive review of a recent Eklund title - Bios:Genesis? - which is sure as hell heavily thematic, definitely unique, arguably clever, but isn't actually a good game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

angel opportunity posted:

I can’t play real-time due to kid. I kind of hate discord (not this thread discord, just discord in general) but might get on later...

I'm always up for asynchronous games. This post notwithstanding I'm usually active M-F & generally offline weekends.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

nonathlon posted:

That's a fair take. I recollect his effusive review of a recent Eklund title - Bios:Genesis? - which is sure as hell heavily thematic, definitely unique, arguably clever, but isn't actually a good game.

This Bios:Megafauna review?

E: only recent long-form review of an Eklund is this pax ren review: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1681098/gaming-longue-duree

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 14, 2018

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

I am reading this quite a lot and I don't get it. Why must this game become a classic? It is a mid heavy euro for up to 4 players in a market that feels saturated with these kind of games? Is it just because of Gloomhaven? Poor Isaac.

Just offering my initial impressions if there are those who are having a hard time getting their hands on copy. Gloomhaven's rep probably did shift a lot of copies. I was interested in seeing what other designs he had. It's not terrible but yeah it was heavier than I expected. The premise gives the impression that you might be doing urban planning but its about making a production line (resources and tier 2/3 buildings) and linking them up with conveyors belts (roads). Once i starting thinking of things that way it easier to grasp the game overall. The timing of your actions is important since running out of gold, expansion space or losing the race to make a connection can bring your plans to a halt. You want to be thinking several turns ahead. As well as planning your actions, you want to be looking at what the other players are building towards and throwing spanners their way by blocking routes with buildings or sniping bridge/gate connections if it won't throw your plans too much. You'll also be voting on which prestige buildings to build which determine which resources/produce is actually valuable once delivered. On a positive note, the component quality is a step above Gloomhaven. The tokens were on a better card stock and nothing was misaligned. The game came with a load of bags for sorting and storing components. Its a small thing but its really nice when games to that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My 3.5 year old is staring, rapt, at the susd review of container.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He sat through the entire thing and the main takeaway was that he liked it when they dropped a boat into the water.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I was extremely disappointed to learn that the boats didn't float.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you dig around, there are clash of culture expansion components here for sale: https://www.spielematerial.de/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=Clash+of+cultures

In case you wanted to pnp it since it’s hard to find.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm looking forward to Container but those huge boats are ridiculous.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
People that have already received their copies of Founders of Gloomhaven and/or Container, did you receive any tracking info beforehand? I've received two KS deliveries over the last couple weeks which were total surprises.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would buy a $250 container reprint if it had even larger garden gnome sized boats.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Merauder posted:

People that have already received their copies of Founders of Gloomhaven and/or Container, did you receive any tracking info beforehand? I've received two KS deliveries over the last couple weeks which were total surprises.

I'll often get a shipping notice by email but it's always useless. Like I'll get a notification that "PDB INC had sent you a package with tracking # xyz" out of nowhere but it's the fulfillment company, not the seller itself. And there's no way to connect who to who; just have to let it arrive.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m pretty sure I’m just going to mock up my own copy of it with LEGO. Unless I can find it locally I guess.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Mercury sent me an email from something called TrackingVF

That sucks, I was interested to see what they were gonna do with new Madeira. It was supposed to start in a couple of days right?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 14, 2018

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m pretty sure I’m just going to mock up my own copy of it with LEGO. Unless I can find it locally I guess.

Container? I was thinking the same really. 90% of the game is just printed sheets and cubes. The only thing that would be difficult to replicate are the boats. So, lego, or just some printed piece of paper.

I just need the game's rules pdf, which they haven't released yet. In the original Container files section someone made a bunch of print and play files, so most of the work is already done.

Edit: I want to try it out, but not $85 worth of want.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ravendas posted:

I want to try it out, but not $85 worth of want.

Or buy some time on a 3d printer.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hmmm

https://www.spielematerial.de/de/transportschiff.html

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ravendas posted:

Container? I was thinking the same really. 90% of the game is just printed sheets and cubes. The only thing that would be difficult to replicate are the boats. So, lego, or just some printed piece of paper.

I just need the game's rules pdf, which they haven't released yet. In the original Container files section someone made a bunch of print and play files, so most of the work is already done.

Yeah, container. Honestly the rules are so simple I’m like 90% sure I could rewrite them from memory. For anything I’m not sure of I’d just rewatch the heavy cardboard video, that’s how I learned the rules anyway.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ravendas posted:

Container makes me wish I could buy more games as print-and-plays

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kore_Fero posted:

Just offering my initial impressions if there are those who are having a hard time getting their hands on copy. Gloomhaven's rep probably did shift a lot of copies. I was interested in seeing what other designs he had. It's not terrible but yeah it was heavier than I expected. The premise gives the impression that you might be doing urban planning but its about making a production line (resources and tier 2/3 buildings) and linking them up with conveyors belts (roads). Once i starting thinking of things that way it easier to grasp the game overall. The timing of your actions is important since running out of gold, expansion space or losing the race to make a connection can bring your plans to a halt. You want to be thinking several turns ahead. As well as planning your actions, you want to be looking at what the other players are building towards and throwing spanners their way by blocking routes with buildings or sniping bridge/gate connections if it won't throw your plans too much. You'll also be voting on which prestige buildings to build which determine which resources/produce is actually valuable once delivered. On a positive note, the component quality is a step above Gloomhaven. The tokens were on a better card stock and nothing was misaligned. The game came with a load of bags for sorting and storing components. Its a small thing but its really nice when games to that.

No problem with that, really. Isaac tried to shift the focus away from Gloomhaven by concentrating on the Founders part. But there still might be people being disappointed when they find out that they bought a logistics game.
I just find it kinda annoying that some of the reviews came to the conclusion that Founders isn't the perfect 10/10 game. And why would it be? I would really love to hear what they expected. I mean all of the playthroughs shown throughout the canpaign clearly showed what kind of game Founders is.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Selecta84 posted:

I just find it kinda annoying that some of the reviews came to the conclusion that Founders isn't the perfect 10/10 game. And why would it be? I would really love to hear what they expected.

This attitude is why it took My Bloody Valentine 22 years to release a follow up to Loveless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Container makes me wish I could buy more games as print-and-plays

Its something I appreciate about Hollandspiele. Not a lot of publishers make a point of parcelling up the assets of their games and selling them for PnP's.