Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Another fantastic LP. I am eagerly awaiting the Great Eevee War that will come with Gale of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

SonicRulez posted:

Another fantastic LP. I am eagerly awaiting the Great Eevee War that will come with Gale of Darkness.

There's no war to be had when there's only one right choice :colbert:

It's Jolteon and I will die on this hill.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Say, when you say a mode requires you to have all 48 shadow pokemon, could you use eReader pokes for that? So, only get 45 regular ones + the 3 eReader ones to unlock everything?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, same here. I can't take any post with that name in it seriously because I think of the emoticon before I remember that's a game.

What???

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Carbon dioxide posted:

Say, when you say a mode requires you to have all 48 shadow pokemon, could you use eReader pokes for that? So, only get 45 regular ones + the 3 eReader ones to unlock everything?

What???

Pokemon :xd:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Gotta Snag 'Em All! Let's Play Pokémon Colosseum and :xd:: Gale of Darkness.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

SonicRulez posted:

Great Eevee War
...So, where do I go to enlist? :v:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Flareon is actually a surprisingly viable mixed attacker in XD thanks to Body Slam from the Tutor and Physical Shadow Ball.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

There's no war to be had when there's only one right choice :colbert:

It's Jolteon and I will die on this hill.

Jolteon's nothing but a run of the mill electric type outside RBY.

I much prefer Umbreon. You have to win, I merely have to not lose.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Well, it's good that this Eevee War will take place prior to Gen 6, otherwise the True Top Boy would win in a landslide vote and there would be little point to having a War at all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I made my decision on the Eeveelution before this LP started, but feel free to keep warring, I can use your points for the writeups later maybe, mwahaha.

Anyway, here's how things stand at the end of the first, uh, third/two-fifths/whatever of the LP:

THE SHADOW SELECTION SWEEPSTAKES

Current Resets: 10 (Qwilfish, Sudowoodo, Entei x2, Gligar, Vibrava, Skarmory, Absol, Metagross, Tyranitar)

Final Entries!

5 - SystemLogoff
7 - FoolyCharged
8 - Epicmissingno
9 - ItBreathes

10 - BrightWing
11 - Blue Link
12 - rannum
13 - Zack Ater
14 - Regalingualius
15 - Booky
16 - MightyPretenders
17 - loving love Fiona Apple
18 - Thadius
19 - Explopyro
20 - BlazeEmblem & mateo360
21 - Dr. Fetus
22 - flarp22
23 - TheFattestPat
24 - Zanzibar Ham
25 - SSneoman & Blackunknown & Like Clockwork
26 - The Ayshkerbundy
27 - Kilza
28 - Kikas & Xanrib
29 - Leraika & Mraagvpeine
30 - Toyotasomi no Miko
31 - FriskyBoat
32 - Blaze Dragon
33 - BlackPersona
34 - Level Seven & mycelia
35 - Hobgoblin2099 & Jiru
36 - Saladin Rising
37 - Shiny777
38 - Prythian
40 - Aeromancia
41 - Like Clockwork
42 - AweStriker
43 - Odysseus S. Grant
44 - Logicblade
45 - Drufle
48 - Sordas Volantyr & Ibblebibble
50 - hopeandjoy
55 - Nondevor
60 - Funky Valentine
64 - OgretailFood & Carlosologist
65 - Kerning Chameleon
66 - Hunt11
69 - Kemix
70 - SilverFire
92 - Lynneth

While Admiral H. Curtiss may have reset for the 3 e-Reader Shadow Pokemon, since they didn't keep the team's levels even, the whole thing will be non-canon, so it stands at 10 resets. To the four of you that have been knocked out, feel free to submit another number, but if you guess correctly, you'll only get a prize of a big ego and nothing else. I'm interested to see where the number ends up, since XD is a different beast.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah! Ill consider it a personal victory for guessing the Coliseum resets correctly.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Yea I've never played XD so I have no idea how hard it is when it comes to resets. So good luck!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'll say 15, so current standings + 5.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I will be very surprised if you get more resets in XD than you did in Col.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh boy, I'm hype for XD. Wish I could still play it, but I sold my copy a year ago when I was desperate for rent money because I was unemployed. And now buying another copy is too expensive. And I can't make Dolphin work on my lovely laptop.
So experiencing it through SSLP is the next best thing, I guess. Colosseum is fun for forcing you to use some weird Pokemon you might otherwise overlook - but XD is a lot more playable in the sense of having a variety of usable Pokemon. and its plot is...bigger? also, I will forever credit it for helping me fall in love with one of my favorite Pokemon, Swalot.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Welcome to the World of Tonal Shifts

Okay, NOW is my LP of Pokemon Shuffle! The game is basically finished after all.

Title Screen

jk, now that we've had the entrée in Colosseum, it's time for the main course in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

Like for Wes, I'll be using a preset name for Michael. So David it is, I guess.

You should probably watch the opening. Why?

It's pretty mysterious.

Opening Battle

Now this how you start a game! Interesting choice to have a Salamence as our starter, but we're picking right off where the last game finished in terms of level curve, so this should be a lot of fun. We're even fighting in the Orre Colosseum! Told you you'd see it soon.

Though it's been about, uh, 5 years since I last battled, so I'm a bit rusty. This Metagross only has Sludge Bomb, so it'll take 3 turns to knock you out. Unless it gets the Poison chance, in which case it's 2.

You can already see some neat differences from Colosseum, text stays on screen longer, so in some cases I can get both of these on screen. Though since I'm a sucker for the money shot, you'll be seeing more of the second image than the first. Most of the move animations have been changed and the game engine is completely different, so things are SO MUCH SMOOTHER. Pretty easy first battle too.

Oh wait, it appears this is an LP of the Matrix.

Pokemon HQ Lab

Don't you think it's time that you consider raising other POKEMON besides your EEVEE? DAVID, you have an incredible aptitude for battling. If you keep absorbing knowledge and experience, you'll become an outstanding TRAINER. There's no doubt about that!

Okay so maybe we don't start off with a Salamence, but who cares, we can save whenever we want! Already this game is 100% better than Colosseum, good gravy.

It looks like this game is still full of double battles, but we only have one Pokemon? How's that gonna work in a region with no wild Pokemon?

Eevee's model always throws me off, since it was very uncommon in the Stadium games. It's, well, an Eevee. You can probably guess what we'll be doing with it soon, since it's pretty naff at this stage. Serious is +Spd -Spd, so it's not as impressive as a Modest Espeon, but really what is?

Unlike Colosseum we don't even start with any items. We're not shortly after the second badge like in the previous game, this is definitely before the first badge.

DAVID, if only your father were here to see how much you've grown... Oh! I'm sorry! I promised that I wouldn't mention that! Please, pay it no heed!

I can't believe my dad is loving dead. This lab is pretty big compared to previous regional professors, but we'll explore it in a moment.

Hahaha. You don't need to be that stiffly official, LILY.

But...

Oh, yes. I've heard the BATTLE COACH singing high praise about you, DAVID. I've heard that your battling skills have improved dramatically recently. That's outstanding, DAVID. I sure don't think I'd stand much of a chance against you. Ahahaha.

I wish everyone wouldn't drown them with such gushing praise all the time. My son and daughter will become spoiled rotten.

There's nothing to worry about. Both DAVID and JOVI are wonderful kids.

By the way, I don't think I've seen JOVI since lunchtime. DAVID, I hate to bother you, but could you go find JOVI for me? DAVID, I think you already know, but several research projects are in their critical phases in this LAB.

gently caress you mum, you're not my real dad!!!

Okay then mum!

But for that to happen, we can't do without your mother's expertise. Oh yes. I left a P*DA in your room, DAVID. Go check it out. "P*DA" stands for POKEMON DIGITAL ASSISTANT. It's a very useful electronic tool. A P*DA can be used for E-MAIL, among other things. I'm sure that you'll find its many features useful. It's quite easy to use. DAVID, I'm sure you'll have no trouble figuring it out.

She thinks that she can do everything that you can, DAVID. Even though, of course, she's still just a baby. I don't think she's wandered off too far, but please find her, DAVID.

Already we've had more dialogue than the entire first update of Colosseum. And there's still plenty to go. The Pokemon HQ Lab has two floors, but is split down the middle, making it four separate sections. There's not much to go over, but we'll see if there's anything in each room. We're on the right side at the moment.

This room doesn't look very important, but it does have a PC. We should sa- oh wait, we don't need to. Hehe.

No Potion for whatever reason, but we've now got 8 boxes! That's quite the step up, though we barely filled two boxes then, so it might be the same this time around.

What I happen to be working on is a special machine for catching POKEMON. It's finally almost completed, my machine. I need to focus and work to get it done!

The outside area is really nice. Uh, are we even in Orre anymore?

Well we can't go anywhere else right now, so maybe we aren't, a little bit of desert in the corner doesn't mean anything.

Hmm, we must be, the item boxes remain pretty generous.

Into the left side.

Yet again, a Plusle with no Minun. These games are weird.

While we can't choose an email notification noise, all we need to do is press A.

And we go straight to it, instead of menuing to it. There's a lot more emails in this game, so this is handy. It's the little things!

Sounds annoying, we'll come back to this later.

Only one area of this lab we haven't visited. I'm sure Jovi is there sitting nice and quietly.

You're looking for JOVI? We're supposed to be playing hide-and-seek right now, but isn't she around anywhere? Well, maybe she's gone off to DR. KAMINKO's manor.

drat, well at least it's not far.

Now you're it!

There have been no reports of flotsam that may indicate the ship's sinking. The authorities appeared mystified by the way the ship vanished like smoke. There are reports that numerous POKEMON were on board. Concern is rising over their welfare.

I agree, unexplained abnormal powers are definitely not a thing in this world.

Hi, DAVID. I'm compiling the basic data for that big project of ours. Huh? What big project? Why, it's the PURIFY CHAMBER, of course. Didn't you know?

And now we've gone full circle. Wasn't that fun?

By the way, after you find JOVI, can I get you to help me with something? I'd like you to test a certain machine for me. I know you're a skilled battler, DAVID, so I think I can count on you.

Oh yeah, we've got this thing again. It's basically the same as Colosseum, except we don't start with the Snag List, since there's no more Shadow Pokemon anymore, but we do start with the Strategy Memo.

It's identical, and no, I'm not going to fill it, I'm only going to be catching every Pokemon you can obtain in this game like usual.

New to the memo is the matchup tab. Also displays the abilities a Pokemon can have. Neat!

Before we go stop our little sister roaming the countryside by herself and visiting strange mansions, we've got time for some VR battles, right?

These are incredibly simple tutorial battles just in case this is somehow your first Pokemon game. Though it does show the difference between this game and Colosseum with their relative difficulties.

Let's show off the first one.

Jack in.

Sim Battle

There's a few of these (optional) battles in the game and it's a huge shame that from the battle initiating transition to sending out Pokemon, it takes TWENTY FOUR SECONDS. It's a bit excessive and I really wish you could skip it in some way.

Some of these Battle Sims are pretty fun, since there's some weird scenarios the designers came up with.

It's a simple gimmick, keep healing various status until Paras faints from Burn, since you can do literally nothing else. Good thing we have BURN HEAL!

It's best to be put to sleep, since it's quicker than the attack animation of Splash, which you still can't turn off. In these battles the Call option is replaced by Give In, so no free Awakenings!

Oh yeah, every trainer now has a full defeat animation, instead of the pose they had. No I'm not going to gif them. But if we encounter a trainer class enough I'll screenshot each part so eventually you can make a flipbook out of them. Aren't I nice?

If the opponent's POKEMON sustains a burn, you can win even if your POKEMON is put to sleep. You should remember that. Now you're all set for a real battle!

There's absolutely no reason to do the remaining tutorial battles, you don't get anything for it. Which is why I did all of them in a separate post. Because I can do what I want in my LPs and cover stuff you thought wasn't important and then not cover the important stuff cause that's how I roll.

Here! Here at the POKEMON HQ LAB, we undertake a great variety of research from their ecosystems to battling... uh... oh, it's you, DAVID. You scared me out of my wits!

But instead of that virtual reality stuff, how about a real battle for a change? I'll be happy to battle with you anytime. Okay, that's the spirit! Let's get it on!

Trainer Battle

Oh hey, our first actual proper battle! Now, let's get it out of the way, this battle music isn't as good as the one from Colosseum, but when you've made perfection, how could you beat it? I really like this tune though, it's different and that's what counts!

We're still in the very early game, so everything's reset back to being piss easy. Such is the life of playing an RPG series for children over and over again.

Okay! I'll train using the BATTLE SIM SYSTEM, too! That's what I'll do.

Orre Map

Alright, let's finally get out of here! Our wild adventure awaits us, so let's hop on our ride and get ready for some muscle pounding action!!!

...I miss Wes.

Mansion Yard

Well this is different. I didn't even know dark clouds existed in Orre.

Oh great, this place is haunted, too.

CHOBIN is the name! And CHOBIN is the number-one assistant to DR. KAMINKO! CHOBIN is the only assistant, so CHOBIN has to be the number-one assistant!

Well it's no Zigzagoon, that's for sure. Oh yeah, you're seeing me jump between official XD artwork, XD headshots made by a defunct site and Colosseum headshots. Getting everything I need for this game is... inconsistent at best since there's been no model rips for the most part. We're gonna see quite a ride in image quality, let me tell you.

Dunno why everything is so much weaker than us, just because we don't start at level 5 doesn't mean that everyone else has to.

Huh? Closer observation reveals that the subject is a child. Ergo, the subject is not a burglar! Ahaha! CHOBIN wishes you spoke up right away. You're DAVID? CHOBIN apologizes for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

It's Jovi!

...uh, no? It's really not far, I have a scooter and I can see the Lab from here!

This big house is DR. KAMINKO's. DR. KAMINKO's job is to make incredible inventions. There's a whole bunch of neat machines like they have at the POKEMON HQ LAB. You should come in too, big brother.

She wanders around everywhere. CHOBIN finds it hard keeping an eye on her so that she does not bother the DOCTOR. Oh, yes! DAVID, you will have a look at DR. KAMINKO's inventions? You will, yes? Okay, this way, please! Follow CHOBIN!

Kaminko's Manor

Oh? Why does CHOBIN know that they are number one worldwide? That needs explaining? In the whole wide world, no one but DR. KAMINKO would invent such inventions! Therefore, they are number one in the world without question! Our DR. KAMINKO, who is verily great, is inventing in that room there.

Anyway, let CHOBIN acquaint you with just some of DR. KAMINKO's greatest inventions. Let the VCR roll!

The insole is studded with lumpy nubs that fail to stimulate every pressure point in a fabulous way. Keep wearing these, and CHOBIN will guarantee painful feet and chronic worsening of your health. CHOBIN thinks it is superlative.

The DOCTOR's inventions, which are fantastic, can be seen on this monitor. CHOBIN gives you permission to use this anytime you like.

Alright, time to get my transcribing hands ready, cause I'm going over every one of Dr. Kaminko's inventions. Here. The update is wordy enough as is, sheesh.

How is the LAB's DIRECTOR? PROF. KRANE, yes? Ah, yes. If you would be so kind, please tell the PROFESSOR that the MACHINE PART he needed is ready, and that he should come get it anytime.

...huh? Are you going home already, big brother? But you just got here! Oh... JOVI gets it! JOVI has to show you how to go home, right? Okay! That's what JOVI will do! JOVI will take you home! MIMI! Let's go home with big brother!

Let's welcome our companion for this game, our little sister! Everyone loves Jovi, she's more important than Rui ever was! ...we regret to inform you that Jovi refers to herself in the third person.

Hm? Incidentally, child, how long have you been here? Hmm...?

That's how DR. KAMINKO is all the time. CHOBIN said that a genius has different sensibilities from ordinary people. Does "sensibilities" mean you're kind of absentminded and in a fog? Don't people say PROF. KRANE is a genius?

Next time JOVI comes, please let JOVI try these googly glasses! Promise!

CHOBIN cannot possibly make that sort of promise. She is your sister? Do something about her, please. She never listens to what CHOBIN says, ever.

Ah finally, a screenshot that isn't a text box. I'd forgotten what they looked like.

She's definitely a little sister, I have one of those and she is plenty, so no more of Jovi, please.

This place is 2spooky.

Pokemon HQ Lab

No, Mommy, you don't understand! Big brother was lost, so JOVI brought him here! If JOVI weren't there, JOVI bets he'd be crying by now saying he can't go home! Right, big brother?

Oh, my, my! JOVI, you are such a brave and resourceful girl! But that's quite enough for today. Besides, ADON must be tired of waiting for you.

Oh, my gosh! I was in the middle of hide-and-seek! Okay, big brother, I'll see you later! Bye-bye!

Ah, just kidding, Jovi is only a temporary companion.

He said he was working on something, but he never said what.

Ooh, I always wondered what happened if we snagged a human. SCIENCE BITCH!

DAVID, you've heard of SHADOW POKEMON, haven't you? They're POKEMON that have been turned into fighting machines after having their hearts closed by artificial means. They're to be pitied. We developed the SNAG MACHINE to take back such modified SHADOW POKEMON. Why this machine is needed now I can explain later... but for now, I'd like you to test our SNAG MACHINE. After all, you're the best TRAINER at this LAB. The SNAG MACHINE is inside this case. Try equipping it right away, please.

We're a cyborg now, hell yeah.

I'll add a new feature to your P*DA. It's called the SHADOW MONITOR. It lets you check data on the SHADOW POKEMON you've encountered.

Alright, now our P*DA is up to par of the previous game. Though we need some actual Shadow Pokemon to find first. Not like they're just on random trainers, right?

From here on, it will be a lot easier to just show you how it works in practise rather than trying to describe it. Let's go upstairs to the BATTLE SIM SYSTEM room.

Hey, we get Pokeballs pretty early. But still no Shadow Pokemon to use them on. What a shame.

I don't think he walked up to the lift, is he going the long way?

Trouble!

I leave him alone for two seconds!

Fufufu... I'm taking you to your new lab, PROFESSOR.

What... my new lab?

Move it: we don't have any time. If you don't want to get hurt, hustle yourself into the car.

You people... what are you?

I hope this guy is weak and partakes in a single battle, since I'm super weak right now with only one Pokemon.

Familiar Battle

Okay good, he's a pushover. But man, I feel like we've done this plenty of times already...

Alrighty boss.

Like Makuhita, this Teddiursa is a free catch.

Could it be... a SNAG MACHINE?! What the heck is that doing here?

That's big news! Come on, move! I need to report this to headquarters, like now!

...I can't believe Professor Krane is loving dead.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 14, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Course #2: Tutorial Battle Sims

Alright, good for you to swing by. Let's see what the rest of these are like, eh?

These battles are finely crafted, so if you don't follow the win strat exactly, you'll probably get your rear end kicked.

Like so, since Makuhita only faints if you use two Quick Attacks. Otherwise you get knocked out by two Brick Breaks. There's no other way to win unless you crit with Thunderbolt, which isn't something to really go for.

If an attack move isn't the same type as the POKEMON using it, you may be dismayed by how little damage it causes. Learn to choose moves for your POKEMON after you confirm the POKEMON and the move's types.

Even if you do the strat perfectly, you're still beholden to RNG, so you can get screwed that way and then get a "hint" about the battle you already know how to beat. So a little annoying. But it's easy enough.

Next match is all about type advantage.

Since Goldeen does sweet gently caress all, we can take it out with Tackle since we're just that cool.

And then deal some chip before getting absolutely loving wrecked.

Wasn't that fun?

I'm about to ruin this Marill's day.

That's a pretty simple one and only applied for about a year before Gen 4 came out and made Surf a full field target move.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, what do I do for this one?

I could switch, but you need to get safe switches and chip damage for future OHKOs into your head or you'll never make it as a Pokemon Master.

Alright, what's next?

Okay, I'm gonna switch Pidgey out, as tempted as I am to have a guaranteed safe switch, since I'll probably need it later.

I can let Geodude faint though, all I need to do is beat the opponent.

If you've been looking at our opponent, you'll notice he has animations for when you attack his Pokemon and trainers in general look at their Pokemon, even if it looks kinda doofy for certain mons. It's a very cute thing they haven't really implemented into the main games yet and that's why GameFreak is bad, as you'll find in my 75 page thesis on the subject.

We're over halfway done, so let's get a perfect.

Now in the future when I'm in a similar situation to this, I'll know exactly what to do!

The Poison didn't matter, you 2HKO this Diglett regardless, the Pokemon are always the same each time, so the only thing you worry about is critical hits, since the Pokemon are crafted so that you still follow the strat even if you get a low roll in damage. Or at least I loving hope so, bad design if not.

Hmm, I don't see any tricks, it's looking like a slugfest.

That I'm losing! Oh no!

And now we win. What an emotional ride that was.

Ooh, there's some variety with this one. Which one to go for first... I think we should burn it!

...I said "I think we should burn it!"

Alright, cool. Hopefully we can still win after an Astonish flinch.

It's looking like a 3HKO, so hopefully we get lucky.

Nice! Bit of a close one, but it had some leeway.

While I love some hyper offense, I do like Swords Dance.

Either we deal more damage than it heals...

...or we crit making going to +6 pointless. Maaaaaaaan.

Alright this one is tricky. We have to choose the right weather. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It'll chip us down with Shock Wave, so can we knock it out before the sun fades?

Yes we can. A good tutorial for how long weather lasts. Please ignore the rocks that will prolong weather next gen.

The final one is a real puzzler. I think I know what we need to do.

Don't sleep on Vaporeon's massive SpAtk stat! And there we go, wasn't that fun? Oh... you're the only one who read this. That's fine.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well that took two hours longer to make than I thought, these games are starting to get worryingly wordy.

Anyway, it's time for part 2 of the LP! Hope you're excited! The no spoiler rule still applies, so keep your lovely shaped mouth shut until the end. Also I hope Fionordequester can continue making headshots for this game, but they haven't posted in over a week. Ah well, I'll be able to work around it and they'll post again, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, don't jump the gun with Eevee's nickname, he'll evolve first, then get a nickname and you'll know what evolution he'll be before that anyway, so there's no voting for the evolution either, cause you guys would choose Flareon.

Also also, since we'll be going over various abstract stuff more and more as these games continue, I can't really call my Side Notes and Mini Notes as such any more, since sometimes they'll be basically small chunks of the main update that wouldn't really fit otherwise instead of deep dives into mechanics like they were before, so I'm renaming them both to Side Courses and Mini Dishes as a more catch all term. Also cause I'm hungry.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 14, 2018

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While XD is objectively a better game, Wes is objectively the better protagonist.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I’m super into how early you get Teddiursa in this game. I’ve never gotten the chance to raise one, but they look so cute.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Edit: Never mind.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 14, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Run Away is a cruel thing to give a Pokemon in the Orre games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, those were a lot of words. I thought Pokemon games got wordy later, but it seems this was the test course for that.

Also the POKE POLE reminded me of Vietnamese Crystal, where a grand total of eighteen items are called POLE, and now I'm laughing for no reason. CHOBIN POLE BAG gently caress.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The mighty Vespa Scooter

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I will probably continue saying this as we make our way through the game but I cannot stress how much better all the new assets look in this game. The lab isn't anything special but it looks nice, and the spoooooky lab is one of my favorite set pieces. And the trainers!

Then you have our friends the N64 pokemon models
and all the reused models from colosseum...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The texture work in XD is notably not hot garbage like most of Colosseum's was.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Grand Gigas posted:

I’m super into how early you get Teddiursa in this game. I’ve never gotten the chance to raise one, but they look so cute.

I used one in my last XY run and it is really good with a bit of setup, like getting the Play Rough egg move.

This game looks pretty interesting so far, besides the really flimsy story for the snag machine. And the annoying as hell little sister, too.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

SSNeoman posted:

While XD is objectively a better game, Wes is objectively the better protagonist.
I couldn't put it better myself. Wes and his introduction+nutso hover-bike can't be beat for awesomeness, but from a gameplay perspective XD fixes a whole bunch of the annoying/janky poo poo that Colosseum had going on.

One of the the most obvious changes is that XD actually has an early-game, instead of just dropping you in at level 26 with two fully evolved Pokemon. While it's fun to battle with high-powered mons from the word go, that's definitely part of why Colosseum feels (and is) so drat short as a game.

Grand Gigas posted:

I'm super into how early you get Teddiursa in this game. I've never gotten the chance to raise one, but they look so cute.
I had never used Teddiursa or the Eeveelutions in story mode before XD, that's another reason the games were a lot of fun.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
My browser keeps failing to load all the images in this update for some reason. It tries for a good few minutes and then gives up at some point. Makes attempting to read it fairly annoying but I'm not sure if it's Chrome being Chrome or if it's the images being bigger in size than they seem. :shrug:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

flarp22 posted:

My browser keeps failing to load all the images in this update for some reason. It tries for a good few minutes and then gives up at some point. Makes attempting to read it fairly annoying but I'm not sure if it's Chrome being Chrome or if it's the images being bigger in size than they seem. :shrug:

Might just be the back-to-back updates. Try this.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Ablative posted:

Might just be the back-to-back updates. Try this.

Better but it showed me a weird solution. Refreshing loaded the images my browser already loaded and it starts working on another batch. So all I have to do is refresh when I spot a gap in images until all the images are properly loaded. If it works, I guess.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What kind of name is "Exit"?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Your sister's name is JOVI yet there's no premade option for the name BON, smh

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Alright, Dr. Kaminko! Dr. Kaminko is one of the most purely Japanese references in these games, because all of his inventions follow the very Japanese convention of chindōgu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chind%C5%8Dgu

For those who don't want to read that, chindōgu are inventions that seem like the ideal solution to a problem, but are in fact useless. They're sort of an absurdist concept. If you've ever seen pictures of that mop you attach to a baby so they clean the floor as they move around (and of course get themselves dirty and sick), that's not actually serious, it's a chindōgu. The most famous one is probably actually the selfie stick, because it managed to actually become popular.

Fortunately, the overall joke translates pretty well into English, so it's not as aggressive a problem as Japanifornia usually is.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
love this game, but always found the opening kinda tedious. The Spoopy Lab is neat, though.
Teddiursa is an interesting first Shadow Pokemon to throw at the player - it's sort of weak, but if you invest in it you could credibly take it all the way to the end, which is not generally something you can say about the first Pokemon you catch in a game.

there are a lot of other things I could say, but I will wait until the appropriate time. Sufficed to say, while I think this game tops Colosseum in a lot of ways, it has its own flaws, and it is a damned tragedy Nintendo totally forgot about these games and probably won't make anything like them ever again, because with the flaws ironed out through trial and error, a third game could've been great. Especially with gen IV Pokemon and the split.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

flarp22 posted:

It's happening to me too and only this thread. I figured my poo poo internet was a factor but I guess not

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I was actually surprised when the e-Reader update used the animations it did - I've played XD but not Colosseum and wasn't expecting to see the Battle SIM animations until now.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Crosspeice posted:

Okay, NOW is my LP of Pokemon Shuffle! The game is basically finished after all.

3 days, 25 minutes left until it's finally over.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, if I had ever tried this game, I might have put it down again right then and there as soon as they introduced TWO characters both talking in the third person. That might work in Japanese but gets annoying real quick in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

Did we ever get any idea what Wes' motivation for betraying Team Snagem was? I mean, other than them being complete chumps?

• Locked thread