Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Found a sidequest where a woman was getting hassled by a man that wanted to abduct her. Olberic beat up the woman and ran away from the guy.

I'm pretty sure this game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
What in the world is Primrose for? She's got that random move that goons like, but beyond that she doesn't seem super useful. I can't wait to multiclass these mofucks, they're gonna feel much better.

When I'm picking my abilities, will I eventually learn all of them or will I leave some behind? How critical are my decisions, here?

How do I change party members? I can only figure out how to do it when the game gives me a new guy, but there HAS to be another way to switch.

I went HOCTOPAT and am just getting to Alfyn. So far my preferred party might be H'aanit, Ophelia, Cyrus and Tressa. I feel dumb liking the first four bros I got though. I'm looking forward to Alfyn, Ophilia isn't the most useful ladybro.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Grinding up your initial party so you can do chapter 2 quests is really annoying. The battle system is fun for challenging boss fights, but tediously long equal level trash fights that are just strong enough you can't ignore them are the worst possible way for a JRPG to go.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Prim is my buff bot who can also hit hard when there's nobody left who needs buffing. I have her as a hunter and she is great at helping olberic with either being a wreckier wrecking ball or a tankier tank, and making cyrus' ridiculous magic damage even more so, and then following up with respectable damage of her own.

I love her and she's cool and good.

e: Dancer also has some really good support skills in Second Wind and Eye for an Eye and dang it I'm probably gonna have to pick up some of it on everyone

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 14, 2018

deftest
May 7, 2011

Bean posted:

What in the world is Primrose for? She's got that random move that goons like, but beyond that she doesn't seem super useful. I can't wait to multiclass these mofucks, they're gonna feel much better.

When I'm picking my abilities, will I eventually learn all of them or will I leave some behind? How critical are my decisions, here?

How do I change party members? I can only figure out how to do it when the game gives me a new guy, but there HAS to be another way to switch.

She (dancer) is a utility class. Maybe she doesn't kill the mob herself, but she makes it so another character can do it in fewer turns. The fact that she gets to decide how to do that, by increasing speed, or attack, and can also do other things (+def, for example), makes her that much more fluid. If the goal of your character slot is to reduce the total number of turns, she can do that in multiple different ways, while also adding other stuff.

Utility classes are (I vote), the most fun.

((also, her dark attacks are strong))

PS: You can eventually learn all the skills. It's just a question of when; you can change your party at taverns

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Like every character should go dancer to get the skill that restores 10 SP a turn. It lets you constantly use AOE moves and just chew threw random battles.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
drat Cyrus’ students are thirsty.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So here are my thoughts so far.

- Therion was the right choice.
- The music thus far is gorgeous and I dog the art style.
- Haanit has my favroite ability so far. Her skill is basically just talking a bunch of poo poo to a townsperson until they swing at her, at which point she summons a loving LEOPARD to eat their faces.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Momomo posted:

Found a sidequest where a woman was getting hassled by a man that wanted to abduct her. Olberic beat up the woman and ran away from the guy.

I'm pretty sure this game is good.

I had H'annit's pet skeleton beat him up. And then followed the guy and beat him up again for good measure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
God drat this box is huge.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mega64 posted:

oh my god Cyrus is awesome. He's a less dickish Miles Edgeworth.

I don't care if it's redundant I'm totally rolling with Alfyn and Cyrus in my party. I don't really see myself using the Villager Follower path action that much anyway.

This is what I'm doing.

They make an awesome team! Cuurently having Cyrus as a Dancer and Alfyn as a Merchant.

(Having access to Axes own, as I purrloined the Golden Axe and this makes Alfyn's Axe skills extremely loving powerful.)

I also incidentally bought the Dragon Necklace/Bracelet... thingy, from Tressa's mom and putting that and the Second Serving skill on Cyrus coupled with SP Saver (and that accessory which gives you 80 Max SP) let's him nuke poo poo and refill all the SP he used at the end of his turn so he's basically never going to run out of SP in boss fights.

Either way, really happy I stuck with Cyrus.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I picked the dancer first and that was a tough intro. Im pleased with how this is going so far as well plot wise, I've seen reviews say the plots don't connect but i'm sure i've seen a crow guy in more than once plot so im confused

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

IcePhoenix posted:

I stopped at best buy on the way home from work and have the game now :toot:

:same:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Primrose's story sure is a few levels up from oh noes a book is missing

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ophelia might have the worst story

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's been confirmed that the stories link up, but no one knows how to get that hidden content yet.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harlock posted:

It's basic, sure, but at least it's not "Woe Noes some fucker done stole a book"

Like Cyrus himself is great and all, but his story is trash.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So far Primrose has killed her captor, met up with a guy that beats up everyone in town, and now some kid is tagging along because she wants to sell stuff. I have a feeling she's questioning her life choices at this point.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don’t think any of the stories are bad, it’s just some are lighthearted and more inconsequential than others, which I’m more than fine with. There’s a good mix for sure.

Also failed to complete the Octopath today, though I have everyone but Primrose now. Should be able to start some Chapter 2’s tomorrow, so looking forward to that!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

After putting in four hours in one sitting, which I haven't done on a game since entering adulthood, I have come to the following conclusion.

The game is good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harlock posted:

I picked her because her story seems like the best framing device, I don't even think of her as my main character she's just stumbling into other people's business.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can someone help me understand the general layout of the game because this thread has me super confused.

I get that you can eventually get all 8 and swap party members and whatnot but at the same time "their stories aren't connected". So do party members just kind of... show up and don't say anything? Is there a overarching plot?

I picked Tressa because I like her hat so I'm kinda curious as to what I've gotten myself into

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can someone help me understand the general layout of the game because this thread has me super confused.

I get that you can eventually get all 8 and swap party members and whatnot but at the same time "their stories aren't connected". So do party members just kind of... show up and don't say anything? Is there a overarching plot?

I picked Tressa because I like her hat so I'm kinda curious as to what I've gotten myself into

No idea if there is an eventual overarching plot, but each character has their own independent storyline and it only affects them. After you complete a section of story in one area you get a waypoint on your map to where the next story content is and when you roll up into town with that character (or go to the tavern and select it) you get the option to play through the next section of their story. Your characters participate in battles, but the story is entirely centered and driven by the specific character.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

nessin posted:

No idea if there is an eventual overarching plot, but each character has their own independent storyline and it only affects them. After you complete a section of story in one area you get a waypoint on your map to where the next story content is and when you roll up into town with that character (or go to the tavern and select it) you get the option to play through the next section of their story. Your characters participate in battles, but the story is entirely centered and driven by the specific character.

Fair enough. Just finished Tressa's pirate quest and just kinda randomly walking around right now with no direction so having fun with that :v: ;

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Picked up where my demo save ended, and played for about three hours this morning. Its very easy to spend time with this game. I think I've realized that the appeal of Octopath to me is as a tone piece. Just chillin' out with it. The music, characters, and art are all incredibly charming. Pretty much the only games I've played for the last year or two have been the Trails series, so it was initially a bit jarring to go into buildings in Octopath's cities and there be a screen full of NPCs who I couldn't talk to. But they're different games with different goals, and Octopath's world building is more about being evocative through production elements rather than details of lore. You go into a quiet, little village, with a sparkling river and some melancholy music playing, and use Alfyn's Path Action to get a couple of sentences that tell you just enough about a villager to get an impression of who they are, and how they might have gotten there. It feels very measured, and deliberate.

In the demo I recruited three party members, but in my session this morning I only just recruited one other. That's because I got swept up in going back to the other towns and messing around with the Path Actions, exploring, Inquiring about people, and experimenting with the combat. And it all looked, sounded, and felt fantastic. Cool game. The boss sprites loving rule so hard.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Same except I picked Tressa because I like her popped collar

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Picked up my main save from the demo. The story thus far:

Primrose has made the world a better place by seducing an old man and enlisting his aid in murdering her employer. ;-*
Olberic has beat up a bunch of people; some were his neighbors, some were bandits, the point is "My blade is UNBENDING!" :black101:
Tressa slipped a bunch of pirates a roofie and is now off on an ADVENTURE! :buddy:
Our group has recently arrived at some castle where some nerd needs help finding a book or something. :words:

This game rocks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My only gripe so far is that the difficulty of the boss fights really ramps up by the time you're on your 6th or 7th character.

I think it was like a 20 minute slog to finish one of them.

Also don't mess with Exotic Grandma

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I started with Ophelia. I really liked her first chapter, gives her a good reason to be out here mucking about. Went for Cyrus, Tressa, and currently picking up Olberic to finish my party out. I'm eventually going to have to work with everyone. Looking forward to Therion, given how everyone's been saying he's a wiseass. It'll be a good contrast to the earnestness of everyone else in the group.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I played the intros for Cyrus and Primrose in the demo just to get a feel for it. I didn't save either though (by choice).

Started the full game with Tressa.

All hail!

For now on, I'm always looking for a bargain!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally got around to trying out the demo, you know now that the game is out already. I may very well pick this up once I run out of demo time because it's so lovely.

Started with Therion and I enjoy him being nothing but constant snark to everything. Picked up H'aanit and did her intro as well and drat there's just not going to be any bad characters in this game is there?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Decided to start with Alfyn, then go to Therion, and will follow that path (just reached Haanit's village and saved before ending a session).

-Alfyn is adorable, maybe Husbando material
-Therion is still a snark master
-I don't entirely mind Hannit (and by extension, her village)'s speech pattern
-Therion gains a skill that lets him steal SP, and another skill that lets him give it to other party members, so I'm def pairing him with the mages (Primrose, Cyrus and Ophilia).
-Need to experiment more with Alfyn's Concoct, but it seems pretty good so far, having the ability to both heal status ailments WHILE curing HP is a pretty good deal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Started as Therion, his story seems like a good vessel to start the game and go into more stuff but maybe the others do that as well. Immediately skipped straight through to Primrose's town and stole a 15% dagger on my third try that gives him a major attack boost. Gonna start Primrose's chapter tomorrow and have double (sometimes triple) the party members!

Also I love this combat system.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone who didn't start as Tressa made a massive miscalculation.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone who didn't start as Tressa made a massive miscalculation.

I'm usually very stingy in RPGs but it's just so much fun to completely annihilate everything. Money = power

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

How exactly does Tressa's talent work in practice?

"allows Tressa to collect money left behind by fallen adventurers, merchants, and the like."

I had assumed it was just more money after battle but that does not seem to be the case.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

How exactly does Tressa's talent work in practice?

"allows Tressa to collect money left behind by fallen adventurers, merchants, and the like."

I had assumed it was just more money after battle but that does not seem to be the case.

Sometimes when she enters a new location you get some money (randomly?)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As you walk about you get a message in the top left corner of the screen that says "Tressa found X amount of cash money"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Picked up my main save from the demo. The story thus far:

Primrose has made the world a better place by seducing an old man and enlisting his aid in murdering her employer. ;-*
Olberic has beat up a bunch of people; some were his neighbors, some were bandits, the point is "My blade is UNBENDING!" :black101:
Tressa slipped a bunch of pirates a roofie and is now off on an ADVENTURE! :buddy:
Our group has recently arrived at some castle where some nerd needs help finding a book or something. :words:

This game rocks.

You know what it makes me think of?

A DnD game with a bunch of very different people doing very different characters. Primrose's player is basically hamming it up all the time, maximum melodrama. She probably LARPs too. Olberic's a newbie just riffing off the player's handbook, Tressa's is a goon who just isn't taking things too seriously or is someone who's really deep into the non combat systems maybe. Cyrus' is a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you know when you were a kid and you were walking to school and you would scan the curb in case someone dropped any money and then occasionally you'd find some and you'd be like "IT'S :10bux: I'M RICH :aaa:"

that's Tressa