Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

What? Is having pedophiles in you main cast a good thing now? Is that the actual reason people love MGS: Peace Walker because most of the cast are creeping on someone they think is underage?

Seriously the thing dragging down every MGS game after 3 is that they really upped the sexual creep factor. PW had that, 4 had Snake try to look up women's skirts and gave you a button to molest enemies, 5 had rape on tape and vagina bombs in addition to Quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hel posted:

What? Is having pedophiles in you main cast a good thing now? Is that the actual reason people love MGS: Peace Walker because most of the cast are creeping on someone they think is underage?

I think the "gimmick" of Drakengard was that Yoko Taro thought "It's actually kind of hosed up how videogame characters typically kill thousands of people yet are presented as heroic and well adjusted." so he made every party member in the Drakengard series some flavor of criminally insane.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm probably forgetting a chunk of story, but Leonard the pedophile guy in Drakengard was from what I remember a good person despite the obvious. They weren't creeping on kids and cracking jokes, he was a depressed guy deeply ashamed of himself who sequestered away in the forest to be a hermit, comes close to suicide and can't do it, then follows Caim in the hopes of eventually dying in their service.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Defiance has a great, active open world. This is fantastic. What's less fantastic is when orbital laser cannons are opening fire on a time trial's route, as mutants plough into the earth with drop pods - these significantly alter the difficulty of a trial, but the timer you're racing against assumes there's nothing but the race itself challenging you.

It's very annoying.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

VanSandman posted:

Wait you made a strip club game? What?

Yeah you go to the club and give strippers money and either the stripper invites you into the back if you give one of them all your money (winning, but it’s a room with a hideous stripper and many dildos) or the bouncer kicks you out (losing: you spend too much money at the bar instead of the strippers). But ultimately you have to spend all your money regardless, and I think I gave you $1000 to start with. I was heavily influenced by GTA4 at the time...

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

oldpainless posted:

In LA Noire there’s nothing to do in the city driving around

Weren’t they using some at-the-time super high tech equipment to motion capture actors’ facial expressions? Cause that would be super expensive and time consuming and would explain that. But also you can steal cars, and you get a gallery where you can look at all the old timey cars you’ve stolen. Some are quite difficult to find.

I really liked the game, oldcomplainfull.

E: double post sorry it’s ^ fault

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I thought LA Noire was pretty dry until Phelps leaves narcotics, but this is why I like the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZYPukwAIU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

oldpainless posted:

In LA Noire there’s nothing to do in the city driving around

Yeah

It was weird that they went to such lengths to recreate 1940s LA as accurately as possible but then gave you no reason to see any of it.

After the first hour I always just had my partner drive whenever it was an option.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m so sick of the pause menu music in FC5 and I’m only like 2 hours in.

I don’t think I’ve ever muted my tv during a pause in a game but welp, here we go. First time for everything.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Dead Rising 4 isn't very clear on when it saves. I've had the message about reaching a checkpoint, but then lost progress, or made my way into a safe house and on reload I'm back an hour or so.

It makes it unclear when I'm safe to stop.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
You're safe to stop whenever, because playing that game is a fool's errand

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Safeword posted:

Dead Rising 4

if this were a "PYF dragging this series down" thread I'd probably staple this and dead rising 3 to the top of it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I get to goof around at my own pace, and I enjoy Manchild Frank. :colbert:

I have the original Dead Rising lined up at some point. It's not as gory or as difficult as I remember...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Safeword posted:

I get to goof around at my own pace, and I enjoy Manchild Frank. :colbert:

do you also like DmC Devil May Cry dante

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
...I do not feel safe answering that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
chuck greene shaking head . gif

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah

It was weird that they went to such lengths to recreate 1940s LA as accurately as possible but then gave you no reason to see any of it.

After the first hour I always just had my partner drive whenever it was an option.

But then then the final homicide case was a series of riddles based around knowing where stuff in LA was and I hadn't driven anywhere all game so I was lost. I'm pretty sure I looked most of them up.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander Hamilton posted:

But then then the final homicide case was a series of riddles based around knowing where stuff in LA was and I hadn't driven anywhere all game so I was lost. I'm pretty sure I looked most of them up.

I bought the prima games guide

:negative:

At least I have a nice book with pictures for my bookshelf

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

I bought the prima games guide

At least I have a nice book with pictures for my bookshelf

Haha yeah, something to impress all the people who come around your apartm
Oh.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Calaveron posted:

Haha yeah, something to impress all the people who come around your apartm
Oh.

I have the Skyrim special edition guide, the Witcher 3 guide (both very helpful and pretty though) and.... the GTA V guide.

................. I drank a lot at the time. These days I don’t buy guides and instead use bookmarks on my iPad and/one of my dedicated “video game achievement checklist/ general video game notes for when I’m playing” notebooks

E: that probably doesn’t sound much better.

Oh well, back to my games!

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jul 12, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2 has made its orbital strike not garbage by allowing you to fire into the ludicrously large no deploy zones around permanent bases, they also added some artillery (that.. can't fire into bases so you can't really use them :downs: ). The tool that sets the marker for these is a dart gun, you need to shoot this dart at your target.

It has insane drop and basically requires you to stand 30m from your target, which is a GREAT idea when you're calling down ordinance! So if you see a good spot for ordinance, welp you better get a vehicle and hope it lasts long enough to get you at that spot and fire it at your feet and go out in a blaze of glory, or be a cloaker and hope the enemy doesn't have any players who are suspiciously good at finding and headshotting cloakers. And after all that the enemy gets a very obvious "don't stand here" marker that they can easily escape, making your entire effort of setting up a firing base and getting close enough for the dart pointless! Oh and if you die you need to go back to the base and grab your dart gun again.

I'm not saying I should be able to hail mary shots at targets 600+ meters away, but drat I should be able to call down artillery some distance away!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I might be in the minority but if I'm able to call an Orbital Strike you're drat right I'm going to be standing in the blast zone and go out with it, preferably while firing a large machine gun at hordes of grunts and screaming at the top of my lungs

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If this Hollow Knight boss battle could spawn more of these floating orange dudes and do it more often that would be real loving cool

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please try to spawn them directly above me as i am dodging the boss

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Shut up Miller! This guy has a B in Intel, he's the best I've seen so far. Of course I'm going to extract him you rear end, quit whining!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Schneider Inside Her posted:

If this Hollow Knight boss battle could spawn more of these floating orange dudes and do it more often that would be real loving cool

I just fought the same guy. gently caress that guy.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Antioch posted:

I just fought the same guy. gently caress that guy.

The reg boss wasn’t too bad but the dream boss is completely hosed

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish MGSV had it's priorities swapped so they added all the goofy Metal Gear poo poo in first and didny have time for the phantom pain and double Paz bombs.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Samuringa posted:

I might be in the minority but if I'm able to call an Orbital Strike you're drat right I'm going to be standing in the blast zone and go out with it, preferably while firing a large machine gun at hordes of grunts and screaming at the top of my lungs

FOR AGAATHAAAA

*Holo-Nuke goes off above a medieval battle

More multiplayer games need "make your character holler like nuts" buttons

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Schneider Inside Her posted:

If you've got the Defender's Crest charm, it auto-kills those adds.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

That’s huge news

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Far Cry 3: it's me. I'm the one dragging this game down. As fun as raiding outposts is, I'm somehow getting disappointed at how easy it is? I've been playing too much Division and it feels so weird for a dude to go down in one or two bullets, like - it feels like I'm cheating somehow?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just bump up the difficulty. iirc far cry 3 is one of those games with boring difficulty (enemies take less damage and deal more)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

Alternatively you can put on all the soul and spell charms and use those orange bastards to power up a constant stream of magic missiles at the boss.

The respeccing is pretty easy, which is good, cos there are some bosses that require a shitload of experimentation to find a way to take them down.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok I love my bear buddy but (FC5) I knew it was gonna happen, I accidentally switched my sniper rifle for some generic rifle a cult guy was carrying and my sniper rifle disappeared. I was expecting this to happen but it’s so goddamn stupid. How am I gonna finish this mission silently now? I have a bow but it’s not the same as a snipey with a scope and a silencer. Why can’t you like, LOCK a weapon in so you can’t accidentally change it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I'm probably forgetting a chunk of story, but Leonard the pedophile guy in Drakengard was from what I remember a good person despite the obvious. They weren't creeping on kids and cracking jokes, he was a depressed guy deeply ashamed of himself who sequestered away in the forest to be a hermit, comes close to suicide and can't do it, then follows Caim in the hopes of eventually dying in their service.

I think also he had been put in charge of a bunch of orphans or some poo poo, realized that he was an awful person and definitely shouldn't be near kids, tried minimizing his contact with them, and then they all got killed by a group of passing soldiers when he was away.

which emphasizes how hosed up the drakengard world is because he's the closest thing in it to a good person

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love the complaints from people who play Far Cry 5, the tone changes so much the longer they play.

2 hours in: I hate the pause music

10 hours in: These scripted sequences are bad and poo poo's pretty repetitive

40 hours in: I hate this, and I hate myself for playing it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love the complaints from people who play Far Cry 5, the tone changes so much the longer they play.

2 hours in: I hate the pause music

10 hours in: These scripted sequences are bad and poo poo's pretty repetitive

40 hours in: I hate this, and I hate myself for playing it

Reading about it beforehand I really thought they couldn't go wrong. Bomb around Montana in a crop duster and sic your pet bear on people? Sounds pretty hard to gently caress up. And, I enjoyed FC3 (Swan Dive Into the Mouth of A Crocodile Simulator 2K13) well enough. But the more I read from people who played it the more mediocre it sounds. :(

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Ubisoft just make terrible games that feel like they’re designed by a committee of suits and churned out by wageslaves. It’s a drat shame.

Farcry 6 you should be an indentured Ubisoft employee who goes rogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: Man its great that the Max anti vehicle weapons are also excellent anti infantry weapons. Got people holed up, a bitch and a half to flush out? Bring a vehicle, oh wait they melt your health in 3 shots. Ok well if they're using anti vehicle weapons then use infantry! Oh wait, they can practically one shot infantry. Cool!