Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
our anthem is a poo poo song anyway

sounds like a loving nursery rhyme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://youtu.be/O6jwyMiilgE

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

RBC posted:

At least it's easy to remember and doesn't go on forever

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

RBC posted:

Only if it's a real slow boring nursery rhyme that actually sounds like a funeral hymn

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Compared to some Euro countries it's a slam jam.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Seems like that guy is pissed at Laurier saying that being a melting pot is bad. :thunk:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nothing says "Canadian" like edited quotes from american presidents :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

When we were really young my sister was convinced the line was "Iguana sons command" and nothing will ever convince me that isn't better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Crustashio posted:

See also: people crying about free speech when facing the consequences of spewing hate speech.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Crustashio posted:

also Laurier was not a father of confederation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So axing cap and trade means that future grants to Ottawa to develop their bike lane infrastructure are gone. Once the new pedestrian bridge over the canal is finished that's it. So we will continue to have dangerously narrow streets downtown for both cyclists and drivers, more sidewalk hopping, and more blame getting thrown at both drivers and cyclists for being awful vehicle handlers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

So axing cap and trade means that future grants to Ottawa to develop their bike lane infrastructure are gone. Once the new pedestrian bridge over the canal is finished that's it. So we will continue to have dangerously narrow streets downtown for both cyclists and drivers, more sidewalk hopping, and more blame getting thrown at both drivers and cyclists for being awful vehicle handlers.

Wasnt it also funding green renovations/improvements to public buildings (such as public schools)?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Probably why they nixed the school repair budget! Couldn't afford it after blowing up cap and trade.

EDIT: Welp, read up on the subject after I posted and you're exactly right. My post is unnecessary.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 14, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

also Laurier was not a father of confederation

Also I don't remember Laurier trying to assimilate to Cree customs and habits

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4746622

Get hosed Lisa McLeod. She's pissy that Hussen called her un-canadian for Ontario's asinine response to the asylum seekers.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The national anthem of Canada is Barrett's Privateers and I will hear no others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God drat them all, amirite.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
We must return Canada to its two true founding principles:
(1) We need to be able to quickly respond in case the US invades
and
(2) Protestants and Catholics will never agree on education.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

The national anthem of Canada is Barrett's Privateers and I will hear no others.

I think The Idiot is now Alberta's provincial anthem.
(similarly Bluenose might as well be Nova Scotia's)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 14, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think The Idiot is now Alberta's provincial anthem.
(similarly Bluenose might as well be Nova Scotia's)

Ontario's got The Oaf, I guess.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Squibbles posted:

Hell yeah

Its so Canadian it even talks about garbage military procurement.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We should expand upon procurement problems by injecting even more money to be mismanaged, it is the Canadian way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/william-watson-if-losing-greyhound-means-small-towns-dying-then-let-em-die/amp

I don't know if this is meant to be satirical or not but either way the guy who wrote it is emblematic of the type of assholes who work for Postmedia.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

We should expand upon procurement problems by injecting even more money to be mismanaged, it is the Canadian way

More like Barrett's Flexity Outlooks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

If the problem is that bus companies’ costs have risen too high because governments keep piling on regulations they have to spend money and time to comply with, there’s an obvious remedy. Roll back the regulations. If competitors can show they’re “fit, willing and able” to provide a service, let them in. Thanks to apps, we’re in a new age of vehicle-sharing. There must be myriad ways of getting people from A to B, even if A or B is a small place. Those services might not be exactly blue chip, but are we saying now there’s a basic human right to comfy cushions, in-ride movies and onboard restrooms?

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you fuuuuck yoooooooouuuuuuuu

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you fuuuuck yoooooooouuuuuuuu

Whoever wrote that has clearly never ridden a Greyhound bus

It's as out of touch as "99.7% of 'poor' people have refrigerators"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

If competitors can show they’re “fit, willing and able” to provide a service

What the gently caress does this idiot think regulations are exactly, if not literally that?

Like, his problem is our standards aren't low enough?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If the free market wants to stuff 20 rurals in a U-haul in Pembroke and let the survivors out in Cochrane, then it's not for big bad government to say it's okay because my dad let me ride on the back of a stationwagon once and I'm fine. Rural Ontarians don't need $8 servings of orange juice and private all-gender bathrooms to visit their hardworking middle-class families.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Kids on the roof rack, ratchet straps are a $10 optional extra.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Announcing Uber Rural, our new outreach program where you pay $50 to cram yourself in the back of a pickup truck and hope the driver doesn't murder you on your way to the city 500 km away

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Announcing Uber Rural, our new outreach program where you pay $50 to cram yourself in the back of a pickup truck and hope the driver doesn't murder you on your way to the city 500 km away

Well when was the last time you heard of an uber driver eating a paying passenger?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
We all know reddit is poo poo but is anyone else concerned that /r/canada and /r/toronto are completely alt-right at this point? Those are primary news sources for hundreds of thousands of morons, and we will need to go there when this dead gay forum eventually kicks it. I think we should organize a raid or spearphish a mod and disband the subreddit. Any takers?

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 14, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/need-talk-reddit/

This is from months ago before it even got particularly bad

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 14, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

xtal posted:

We all know reddit is poo poo but is anyone else concerned that /r/canada and /r/toronto are completely alt-right at this point? Those are primary news sources for hundreds of thousands of morons, and we will need to go there when this dead gay forum eventually kicks it. I think we should organize a raid or spearphish a mod and disband the subreddit. Any takers?

The mistake you made was assuming anything on Reddit had value, or that anyone on that site gave any poo poo whatsoever about suppressing bigotry. They don't.

onguardforthee is the Canadian sub.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
reddit is deeply poo poo, but us avoiding it allows that to grow undisturbed. /r/canada is probably a big part of why we have Doug Ford and Jordan Peterson.

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 14, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Doing illegal things is still illegal even when you do them to people who say things you don't like.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

/r/canada is probably a big part of why we have Doug Ford

I sincerely doubt that.

Much like I doubt Ontario Proud trolling Facebook had an appreciable effect on voter intentions.

flakeloaf posted:

Doing illegal things is still illegal even when you do them to people who say things you don't like.

xtal is the thread anarchist, remember?

No mods no masters

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

I sincerely doubt that.

Do you think that instead of one causing they other, they are both caused by a rightward swing in Canadian sentiment? I buy that too.

vv: nothing on the internet is real

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You don't really have plausible deniability when you've been inciting people to commit a crime, in writing.

xtal posted:

Do you think that instead of one causing they other, they are both caused by a rightward swing in Canadian sentiment? I buy that too.

In as much as I also doubt there's a significant rightward swing in Canadian sentiment, yes.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 14, 2018