Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oh god he used to play eve

He also plays some other MMO that super-nerds cream their pants about, but I don't remember the name of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

biracial bear for uncut posted:

He also plays some other MMO that super-nerds cream their pants about, but I don't remember the name of it.

He worked on The Long War mod for XCom, which explains why Verus' magic is basically save scumming.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Decius posted:

He worked on The Long War mod for XCom, which explains why Verus' magic is basically save scumming.

Truly a hero after all our hearts

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Megazver posted:

It's a first book that actually got self-published last, because the publishers read that one and the sequel and went 'you know what let's just start the series with the second one, we don't want the first one'. If you're on the fence about the series, I'd suggest checking Child of Fire out, you'll probably enjoy it more.

That makes sense, it seemed rough and kind of jumped around. I'll try #2 and see if it clicks. Thanks.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Dark mages are really Goonfleet.

Drahk is Mitanni? This is strangely starting to make sense.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hey anyone with Brief Cases!

Does your copy have a blue signature just before the title page? I think I may have lucked into a signed copy.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So I was just re-listening to Grave Peril, and noticed that Lea tries to bargain for Michael's oldest (Molly), and Michael threatens to come after her with everything he's got if she tries. Well, 11 books later in Cold Days Lea (rather Mab) does wind up "getting" her. It makes me wonder if that was Lea's plan all along, and if Michael's threats will bear any fruit when he finds out.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
I enjoy these foreshadowing moments. A modest one in Ghost Story was Butters telling one of the Einherjar he’d start coming to the combat gym the day he had a light saber and not one day sooner.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

mastajake posted:

So I was just re-listening to Grave Peril, and noticed that Lea tries to bargain for Michael's oldest (Molly), and Michael threatens to come after her with everything he's got if she tries. Well, 11 books later in Cold Days Lea (rather Mab) does wind up "getting" her. It makes me wonder if that was Lea's plan all along, and if Michael's threats will bear any fruit when he finds out.

I was thinking about this as well. Michael was once asked to go on a dangerous mission and refuses until Uriel says that it is for a soul. Then he says something along the lines of "well of course I'll go, why didn't you say that to begin with." But if being the Winter Lady slowly erodes Molly's soul (as seems to be heavily implied) then what will Michael do for his daighter's soul?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

gerg_861 posted:

I was thinking about this as well. Michael was once asked to go on a dangerous mission and refuses until Uriel says that it is for a soul. Then he says something along the lines of "well of course I'll go, why didn't you say that to begin with." But if being the Winter Lady slowly erodes Molly's soul (as seems to be heavily implied) then what will Michael do for his daighter's soul?

I don't think you can give up the mantle like that though. Every other time we've heard of something transferring the person who held it had to die. I doubt there's a way to voluntarily give it up to some other vessel of Winter, but I'm guessing Michael would try and possibly could find a way. I don't think Molly technically "chose" to accept the mantle, she was just closest at the time it transferred so there could be a loophole.

So far as we've seen though, the courts haven't really tried to mess with the Knights and it's probably for the best. Michael tore through those dudes at the train station like they were made of paper, and having the sword make it so the wielder has a chance against pretty much anything (even dragons) means the Knights could do some serious damage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem is Michael wouldn't be a Knight, he'd just be a dude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

seaborgium posted:

I don't think you can give up the mantle like that though. Every other time we've heard of something transferring the person who held it had to die. I doubt there's a way to voluntarily give it up to some other vessel of Winter, but I'm guessing Michael would try and possibly could find a way. I don't think Molly technically "chose" to accept the mantle, she was just closest at the time it transferred so there could be a loophole.

So far as we've seen though, the courts haven't really tried to mess with the Knights and it's probably for the best. Michael tore through those dudes at the train station like they were made of paper, and having the sword make it so the wielder has a chance against pretty much anything (even dragons) means the Knights could do some serious damage.

You can give up or change mantles on Halloween somehow. That's been a big metaphysical thing that got brought up in Cold Days with Kringle/Odin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm guessing the leaders of the Courts do have souls, though, given that all the Ladies and Queens - and possibly the Mothers - were once human. The only thing we've seen so far that can outright damage a soul, I think, is soulfire, and Harry and the angels are the only known wielders of that particular trick at the moment. Bob notes that the soul is a renewable resource, too, that joy and love and whatnot literally replenish the soul.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

The problem is Michael wouldn't be a Knight, he'd just be a dude.

Pretty sure Sansa would do him a solid if he asked.

e: loving autocorrect, I meant Sanya.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 13, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OptimusWang posted:

You mean Sanya?

This isn't the Game of Thrones thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OptimusWang posted:

It's more than just borrowing a sword -- like, clearly, the Courts are part of the defense against the Outsiders (the whole Outsiders plotline feels like a retcon but w/e). As such, it's quite possible that Molly's new role is part of God's plan.

Michael going after Mab because of personal family "get my daughter back" style revenge would be as much a failing as when Harry tries to save the Sword by lying at the start of Book 3.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

It's more than just borrowing a sword -- like, clearly, the Courts are part of the defense against the Outsiders (the whole Outsiders plotline feels like a retcon but w/e). As such, it's quite possible that Molly's new role is part of God's plan.

Michael going after Mab because of personal family "get my daughter back" style revenge would be as much a failing as when Harry tries to save the Sword by lying at the start of Book 3.

I should have been clearer; I meant Sanya would likely go himself if Michael framed it the way you originally did, that Molly’s soul was in danger.

That said, I can’t imagine Butcher going that route given Harry’s trajectory and what we know about the Outsiders.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I just want molly to have agency and not be continually hosed over by butcher et al.

I especially don't want to read another book where she's rescued or her choices don't matter again.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

Anias posted:

I just want molly to have agency and not be continually hosed over by butcher et al.

I especially don't want to read another book where she's rescued or her choices don't matter again.

Same, but for Harry.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Beachcomber posted:

Hey anyone with Brief Cases!

Does your copy have a blue signature just before the title page? I think I may have lucked into a signed copy.

I check mine. Seems like you got lucky. Where'd you get it, out of curiosity?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I got Brief Cases on audible and I’m loving the bits of Jim intro-ing each story. It’s cool to hear him talk about his process and what he was thinking when he wrote certain pieces.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ornamented Death posted:

I check mine. Seems like you got lucky. Where'd you get it, out of curiosity?

Books Inc. in Mountain View Ca.

I know he's done signings there before, but I've never been able to catch one.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm reading through the Sandman Slim books again.

I don't care what anyone says, they are so much loving fun to read. They are enjoyable books the same way that John Wick is an enjoyable film. The story is trite, but it's told in a way that feels so good to be an observer and it has a level of imagination and noire that isn't common in the genre.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 14, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My only criticism is the getaway god should have been the final book because it was a good stopping point for the series.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Daric posted:

I got Brief Cases on audible and I’m loving the bits of Jim intro-ing each story. It’s cool to hear him talk about his process and what he was thinking when he wrote certain pieces.

Almost every single one I heard started out something like:

"So I had to write this story and I WAS WAY BEHIND."

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm reading through the Sandman Slim books again.

I don't care what anyone says, they are so much loving fun to read. They are enjoyable books the same way that John Wick is an enjoyable film. The story is trite, but it's told in a way that feels so good to be an observer and it has a level of imagination and noire that isn't common in the genre.

I listened to the whole Sandman Slim series and MacLeod Andrews's narration helps the edgier monologues go down a little smoother. I appreciate that just about everyone in his life thinks he's a bit of a goober.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just going through the Joe Pitt casebooks again. I really, really like Huston's work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Beachcomber posted:

Books Inc. in Mountain View Ca.

I know he's done signings there before, but I've never been able to catch one.

For future reference, generally when an author does a signing, either before or after the actual event (and time-allowing), they'll sign all of the store's stock. So even if you can't catch the event itself, it should be fairly easy to get a signed book after the fact.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Just going through the Joe Pitt casebooks again. I really, really like Huston's work.
Yeah, those really surprised me by how enjoyable they were given the topic. As far as vampire UF goes they're great.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My only complaint about the new Verus book is that there wasn't room for a longer scene with Caldera.

The dragon prophecies are interesting, but they're very... literal? So I have a feeling that at the end, there's going to be an "ah ha" moment somewhere near the end of the series. Like, "You can't become powerful enough to beat Richard" means "You can't punch him in the face until he falls over and pisses himself". That doesn't mean that Verus can't undermine Richard's retinue, or outsmart him, or whatever. Hell, most of Richard's plans revolve around Alex being Alex, so if he just stayed home and binged Netflix Richard would be boned.

More than in the previous books, I found myself wondering about Richard's motivations.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My only complaint about the new Verus book is that there wasn't room for a longer scene with Caldera.

I was bummed about that too, though Caldera clearly wanted nothing to do with Alex, even when everything went to hell.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OptimusWang posted:

I was bummed about that too, though Caldera clearly wanted nothing to do with Alex, even when everything went to hell.

To be fair, every time Caldera works with Alex she gets horribly injured and he treats her like poo poo.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Oh 100%. I haven’t reread the previous book since it dropped, but I want to say the last time he saw her was when he gave her the slip in London and actually ended up hurting her.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OptimusWang posted:

Oh 100%. I haven’t reread the previous book since it dropped, but I want to say the last time he saw her was when he gave her the slip in London and actually ended up hurting her.

Female characters in Verus tend to get pretty beat up. Partly it's because a lot of the cast is female and it's a violent series, but, like, I think the only Verus ally who *hasn't* been badly injured and then had Alex rescue them, at this point, is Variam. And I'm counting Arachne.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

OptimusWang posted:

I think that in one of the next few books, Verus is going to get power on the senior council. And then he's going to promote Caldera, not because he thinks it'll smooth things over, but because despite the fact that they don't see eye to eye, he recognizes she's a good, capable person who deserves it.

And I think they'll have a conversation that comes down to:

Caldera: "This doesn't mean I forgive you, rear end in a top hat."
Verus: "I didn't do it for that reason. I did it because I need the best person for the job."
Caldera: "I'm pissed and begrudgingly grateful."

Female characters in Verus tend to get pretty beat up. Partly it's because a lot of the cast is female and it's a violent series, but, like, I think the only Verus ally who *hasn't* been badly injured and then had Alex rescue them, at this point, is Variam. And I'm counting Arachne.

A lot of series do this, and it kind of gets on my nerves. On the other hand... Alex Verus doesn't, because Jacka doesn't write them as being helpless, I guess? Like they all have agency, and they're often in conflict with Verus. Whenever they butt heads with Alex, it's rooted in their character instead of them being dumb or goddamn crazy.

And that's probably a huge part of what I like about the series. There's nothing particularly outstanding about the way Jacka writes, but the characters are well done and well motivated. My favorite moments are all grounded in the characters.

I didn't particularly care for the way Anne was tortured but eh I guess if you're going to Zero Dark Thirty a life mage you gotta go pretty far

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
With exception of Luna (whose power is more subtle) they are all also very powerful and/or combat mages, which often puts them more in the line of fire., even with his opponents it's the case. The heaviest hitters Richard has are two women.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I didn't particularly care for the way Anne was tortured but eh I guess if you're going to Zero Dark Thirty a life mage you gotta go pretty far

I'm just spoilering all of this to be safe.

That sucked. It was totally unnecessary and it's narrative value was questionable at best. I honestly don't care for the way things have gone with Anne at all. It feels fake and a little creepy. There's just no real chemistry there that I can see. That said, the treatment of women is head and shoulders above Dresden.

I'm pretty disappointed in the way Verus' relationship with Caldera has gone. It just could have been a lot better? Caldera was one of the few people who would call Verus on his poo poo while still appreciating his potential. It's kind of a mixed bag, because on one hand, Alex should know better than to just say 'Hey, sorry about all that' after hitting someone with a loving truck well after the fact, but Caldera should also not be such a goddamn baby about Alex avoiding a death sentence. Their interactions were rad and I wish we could see more of them.

My favorite bit about the series continues to be what a moron Alex is at anything that's not combat related. "We will need some kind of Dark Mage representation on the Senior Council after Morden's departure, preferably someone who was cooperative and doesn't have a problem working with Light Mages." "Huh, yeah I guess you will. Good luck with that!"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

My favorite bit about the series continues to be what a moron Alex is at anything that's not combat related. "We will need some kind of Dark Mage representation on the Senior Council after Morden's departure, preferably someone who was cooperative and doesn't have a problem working with Light Mages." "Huh, yeah I guess you will. Good luck with that!"

I think he understood that perfectly? Just doubted whether the offer is serious or just an attempt at bribery that might not even mean anything once the chips are down.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally finished the new Verus. I'm so glad to see the metaplot moving along. I sure do hope they find a way to increasingly give Alex more power with regards to the council and the keepers. It's much more fun seeing him extend his 'take no poo poo' attitude to everything else. Man I didn't realize how much I missed this kind of quick fun summer read. Dresden where are you :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure there is a metaplot. Richard obviously has a Big Nefarious Evil Master Plan going on but unless it turns out to be heavily foreshadowed - past involving the jinn - there seems very little set-up for it and I really hope the author won't take the easy way out and have Alex and Anna save everything by the Power Of True Love; the climax of the last book was already bordering on that and the only thing that saved it from being cheesy as hell was Anna being completely unrepentant and making the same mistakes again.

That being said, I am glad to see I'm not the only one who profoundly dislikes Anna as a character; the whole magical PTSD thing feels really badly handled and shows a really vague understanding of how disorders work.

But hey, it is a great read and I'm going to await the next one with bated breath. In hope for more Caldera.