Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Probably the funniest thing in it all is I did in fact guess who she really was back in the Dishonored 1 LP when news started trickling in about the characters... and I was really hoping I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Probably the funniest thing in it all is I did in fact guess who she really was back in the Dishonored 1 LP when news started trickling in about the characters... and I was really hoping I was wrong.

Your greatest enemy is yourself.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Inspired by Science In A Mansion

EDIT: Kaldwin, not Caldwin

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 24, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

NullBlack posted:

Inspired by Science In A Mansion

Brilliant. You also made me think of a "Where is my hat?" except where the hat is Corvo's sword.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

When this LP started I was all "Okay I'm finally gonna beat the game and do so before these jokers" and so I picked it up...and put it back down again because my old ancient POS was too underpowered to play the game and so I'd end up mildly nauseous. Which sucked becaues I loved Dishonored 1.

But I just built a computer so now I can catch up and try to beat the game ahead of the videos and I can tell you this game is SO much smoother and more fun when you can actually play it on max graphics compared to having about a 0.1 second delay on camera movements with lowest graphics.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Royal Conservatory: Youtube Polsy

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 22, 2018

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Too hot to process.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Is the vid broken or still processing? Asking because it's been four hours and I feel like it should have been enough time, with the caveat that I have no idea how long it usually takes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I fixed it. The video wasn't published automatically so it was sitting there in limbo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I swear to god I hit publish and I have the screenshot to prove it so eff you YouTube!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Coolguye posted:

I swear to god I hit publish and I have the screenshot to prove it so eff you YouTube!

Is posting videos enough of a problem for you that you take screenshots to document the process just in case

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i didn't close the window so it was still up when i woke up this morning

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ok, so where's my 56 hours of audacity recording

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my refusal to close anything is what makes these moments possible friends

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Back in the sanitorium level, I mentioned that they could have swapped Hypatia's level with someone else's relatively easily if they wanted to give Grim Alex more time to build to a good rivalry situation; this is the one I was referring to. Breanna really never gets any build-up - in fact, the building gets far more hype than she does - so I feel like the main game gets the worst of both worlds. Two characters who should be super-interesting - Delilah's right hand woman, and an assassin closer to the protagonist than any other character - get boxed up in their own levels, and the game has to try to fumble out an intriguing character arc in the space of half an hour.

I'm not entirely sure whether I would prefer to switch the two characters only, or their entire levels. I'd tend towards leaving the physical levels as they are, because the witches are definitely harder enemies than regular guards and there really isn't any way for other enemies to threaten the player on such a vertical level as the Conservatory, but I could see it being fun to fight the witches in the hospital building too.

The reason I don't suggest just building up Breanna more and letting Grim Alex be a bit of a disappointment is that I think it actually gives more narrative impact to take out Delilah's main foundation early. (I'll admit, that's a rock pun.) The witches don't really talk about anything more than how much they like murder, and how great Delilah is, so it'd be interesting to base mid-game witch dialogue around the difference between working under Breanna and working under Hypatia.

It's not like the game really makes anything out of Breanna's existence or presumed competence, and I think it's actually a weakness of the game that we're so effective at taking out Delilah's allies. They really cut down on the clockworks and witches you see after you take the head off their respective snakes, and while that does make sense it also means the different factions don't get to develop much. There aren't really any poorly-maintained clockworks patrolling the city after Jindosh meets his end, walking on their set patterns and none of the guards are prepared to walk close because this automaton will kill indiscriminately after something important broke; and there aren't any roaming witch hunter-killer parties trying to get revenge for Breanna, or taking over little sections of the Duke's defences where Delilah said "This tool's useless, defend this important thing yourselves so that Breanna's murderer doesn't interfere with my plans again," or anything like that.

Basically, while Dishonored 2 does a great job establishing a whole bunch of very cool things and enemies you can deal with, almost all of it is lateral growth - very little of it grows tougher over the game, and few of the systems are really set up to interact with each other. Notice how much effort Skool had to go to in order to get a beekeeper to interact with guards, and the fact that the game didn't have anything clever to do with it other than "they see each other as enemies and fight the same way they usually do." I wish there was more work done to build on these cool sandbox things, even though I do recognise that D2 is already a stupendous feat of sandbox gameplay pretty much unrivalled in AAA gaming.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

WFGuy posted:

Back in the sanitorium level, I mentioned that they could have swapped Hypatia's level with someone else's relatively easily if they wanted to give Grim Alex more time to build to a good rivalry situation; this is the one I was referring to. Breanna really never gets any build-up - in fact, the building gets far more hype than she does - so I feel like the main game gets the worst of both worlds. Two characters who should be super-interesting - Delilah's right hand woman, and an assassin closer to the protagonist than any other character - get boxed up in their own levels, and the game has to try to fumble out an intriguing character arc in the space of half an hour.

I'm not entirely sure whether I would prefer to switch the two characters only, or their entire levels. I'd tend towards leaving the physical levels as they are, because the witches are definitely harder enemies than regular guards and there really isn't any way for other enemies to threaten the player on such a vertical level as the Conservatory, but I could see it being fun to fight the witches in the hospital building too.

The reason I don't suggest just building up Breanna more and letting Grim Alex be a bit of a disappointment is that I think it actually gives more narrative impact to take out Delilah's main foundation early. (I'll admit, that's a rock pun.) The witches don't really talk about anything more than how much they like murder, and how great Delilah is, so it'd be interesting to base mid-game witch dialogue around the difference between working under Breanna and working under Hypatia.

It's not like the game really makes anything out of Breanna's existence or presumed competence, and I think it's actually a weakness of the game that we're so effective at taking out Delilah's allies. They really cut down on the clockworks and witches you see after you take the head off their respective snakes, and while that does make sense it also means the different factions don't get to develop much. There aren't really any poorly-maintained clockworks patrolling the city after Jindosh meets his end, walking on their set patterns and none of the guards are prepared to walk close because this automaton will kill indiscriminately after something important broke; and there aren't any roaming witch hunter-killer parties trying to get revenge for Breanna, or taking over little sections of the Duke's defences where Delilah said "This tool's useless, defend this important thing yourselves so that Breanna's murderer doesn't interfere with my plans again," or anything like that.

Basically, while Dishonored 2 does a great job establishing a whole bunch of very cool things and enemies you can deal with, almost all of it is lateral growth - very little of it grows tougher over the game, and few of the systems are really set up to interact with each other. Notice how much effort Skool had to go to in order to get a beekeeper to interact with guards, and the fact that the game didn't have anything clever to do with it other than "they see each other as enemies and fight the same way they usually do." I wish there was more work done to build on these cool sandbox things, even though I do recognise that D2 is already a stupendous feat of sandbox gameplay pretty much unrivalled in AAA gaming.

I appreciate this write-up and do wish there was more I could add but you've pretty much nailed it top to bottom. Dishonored 2 is such an amazing game and yet it's just missing a certain something. A cohesiveness the first game had and a delivery that doesn't measure up, and a hand that is just a touch too heavy in some of its exposition.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think they've tried to get some kind of buildup in these big levels, but even Jindosh's magnificient mansion just had some generic streets before it with little to no foreshadowing. Not sure what you'd do - progressively unlocking the approach to Addermire, the mansion, and the conservatory with prequel levels to give you a taste of the backstory in operation.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Dust District: Youtube Polsy

I swear I'm gonna get better about posting these. We have a backlog ready, I just keep getting distracted by work and I only remember episodes at 2Am when I'm in bed. :/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm pretty sure I was always able to choke out sleeping guys it was just incredibly finicky about finding the right angle to get the prompt to show up for some reason.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
"I just look at my hands and I just think, yaoi." -skoolmunkee

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Catching up, watching SCIENCE! Emily's episode and y'all talking about Delilah and how she's got the whole "why doesn't everyone love me?" complex and I realized why screwing with her/ruining her plans is so good.

Delilah wants to be a Mary Sue. Dishonored 2 lets the player ruin the hopes and dreams of a Mary Sue. All because we won't love her like everyone else does.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Alkydere posted:

Catching up, watching SCIENCE! Emily's episode and y'all talking about Delilah and how she's got the whole "why doesn't everyone love me?" complex and I realized why screwing with her/ruining her plans is so good.

Delilah wants to be a Mary Sue. Dishonored 2 lets the player ruin the hopes and dreams of a Mary Sue. All because we won't love her like everyone else does.

"And I was the long-lost child of Emperor Dumbledore so you should all praise me and make up a new Hogwarts House just for me."

Now that I think on it, Delilah is very goffik.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Dareon posted:

"And I was the long-lost child of Emperor Dumbledore so you should all praise me and make up a new Hogwarts House just for me."

Now that I think on it, Delilah is very goffik.

I quite like that aspect of Delilah. She's very "The world should revolve around me" and the Outsider gave her the power to try to make it happen. It's a childish, almost petulant sort of desire that reality wants no part of in the slightest. She's got the throne like she always wanted but as we'll see increasingly over time from little lore-snippets about how things are going on in the rest of the Empire she is just plain unable to get the respect and love she feels she deserves. Emily always felt like running from the responsibility that weighed on her, but Delilah cannot comprehend that responsibility even remotely.

We're not Delilah's greatest enemy. Reality is, and she's fighting it with everything she has. It just so happens she has a lot of power to fight with. It's actually kind of nice compared to most other villains in other works. Delilah has done terrible things to herself and others to try to fulfill a childhood dream, one that cannot be realised in the world that is by the Delilah that she is. It's a wonderfully tragic delusion but wrapped up in a package that makes wanting to stab the ever-loving heck out of her friends totally okay!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I counted 6.

I'm really concerned about the living conditions in this town: all the incredibly dangerous sand/silver storms that rage every 5 minutes, and houses are just filled with the stuff. And guards have to patrol here, with no eye protection or anything? What kind of shithole is this place, this is ridiculous. I'm surprised it's not any more of a ghost town than it already is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I quite like that aspect of Delilah. She's very "The world should revolve around me" and the Outsider gave her the power to try to make it happen. It's a childish, almost petulant sort of desire that reality wants no part of in the slightest. She's got the throne like she always wanted but as we'll see increasingly over time from little lore-snippets about how things are going on in the rest of the Empire she is just plain unable to get the respect and love she feels she deserves. Emily always felt like running from the responsibility that weighed on her, but Delilah cannot comprehend that responsibility even remotely.

We're not Delilah's greatest enemy. Reality is, and she's fighting it with everything she has. It just so happens she has a lot of power to fight with. It's actually kind of nice compared to most other villains in other works. Delilah has done terrible things to herself and others to try to fulfill a childhood dream, one that cannot be realised in the world that is by the Delilah that she is. It's a wonderfully tragic delusion but wrapped up in a package that makes wanting to stab the ever-loving heck out of her friends totally okay!

Yup! From Delilah's point of view we're not even the main antagonist, or we're not supposed to be: We're some annoying z-lister background character who refuses to admit she's just that: a background character. She expected Emily to be another stepping stone to be locked up in her room so she could regale with stories of how mommy was really bad and we should love her instead until we did exactly that. She expected Corvo to be broken by the loss of his daughter and the Outsider's favor only to pull something even the Mary Sue thought was BS: turns out the outsider still liked us and returned his mark.

Instead we escaped and have removed her mole in the tower, her assassin and her best friend/right hand woman and show no signs of stopping. And while doing this we keep refusing to admit we're not even important...which makes the fact that Delilah no none of her minions can put you down all the more frustrating to her. Why can't we admit we're supposed to be some insignificant speck? Why!?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The order of the puzzle doesn't matter?

What the gently caress. I spent like an hour missing it and then gave up and actually played the level, and I'm pretty sure I had the solution all along?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

The order of the puzzle doesn't matter?

What the gently caress. I spent like an hour missing it and then gave up and actually played the level, and I'm pretty sure I had the solution all along?

Yeah I believe figuring out the order will help you solve it but it doesn’t need to be input in order...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the way the puzzle is worded you do kind of need to know the order, simply because it relies upon keeping track of where the ladies are sitting in relation to one another. but that said, you can use any of the ladies as your 'mainstay' for figuring out which lady goes with what trinket, and therefore any lady is TECHNICALLY correct in slot 1. which...consequently means that any lady is correct anywhere.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

you can use any of the ladies as your 'mainstay'

Tag yourself I'm war hero Countess Contee

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

skoolmunkee posted:

Is there a term for a dick-kick if you're a lady?
oval office-punt?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

oval office-punt?

that was my immediate thought during commentary but there was no way i was saying it on camera.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Everyone in that district should be blue from all the silver they must be swallowing.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 19, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Tag yourself I'm war hero Countess Contee

Im the snuff box

not the lady with the snuff box im literally the snuff box

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

At the end of the day, she's the rare female manchild.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

That aside about Delilah reminds me of something I noticed when this game first came out: compared to the first Dishonored, none of your targets seem to respect or fear Corvo/Emily at all, even when they start racking up targets. In the first Dishonored, when you do things like talk to Sokolov before kidnapping him or call up the Lord Regent on his tv, they're terrified. Even Daud wants to duel you as an equal.

None of Delilah's flunkies react the same way, even when they should have every reason to.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

None of Delilah's flunkies react the same way, even when they should have every reason to.

Hmm! HMMMMMM!

I want to think out loud about this.

Maybe because in the first one the conspiracy was a fundamentally different thing. The conspirators are after tangible power for what it can buy them (luxury, safety and comfort)? If they die they can’t enjoy those things. And they only attacked the empress- it was accidental that corvo was even there, he was supposed to be safely out of the picture. It was a political plot using subterfuge while the empire was weak from plague. So when Corvo is turned loose in the prime of his life, yeah, he’d be scary (especially to the peripheral people like sokolov and Boyle).

Whereas in 2, almost everyone you are after has deliberately chosen to defy both of you head-on (complacent as you seem) in a violent coup- that probably attracts a different kind of people. The reasons for each conspirator are idealistic rather than practical/political. whereas most people won’t die for politics or physical rewards, they will die for their ideals (or they are the poorly conceived killmonster Alex). They want the empire and/or the world to be something different, usually on behalf of other people and not themselves. This is true of Paola and Byrne too (who weren’t involved and in fact you can safely ignore them, they are not even strictly targets). Even the duke is involved only because of Delilah- he didn’t need to overthrow anybody to live his debauched life because he already was. In that context there are bigger things to fear than reprisal or death, so maybe that’s why they don’t fear or respect Emily or corvo??

Very interesting. Good chat, guys.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The motivations for all of Delilah's lieutenants is a bit lacking. Even now I'm still not entirely sure what the Duke gets out of putting Delilah on the throne. It's not like Emily or Corvo had given much thought to his depredations before the coup. I'm not sure what he really gets out of it other than something more exciting than any orgy he's ever been in.

Ashworth and Jindosh at least have explicable reasons being "madly in love" and "madly in love with mad science" respectively

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

The motivations for all of Delilah's lieutenants is a bit lacking. Even now I'm still not entirely sure what the Duke gets out of putting Delilah on the throne. It's not like Emily or Corvo had given much thought to his depredations before the coup. I'm not sure what he really gets out of it other than something more exciting than any orgy he's ever been in.

Ashworth and Jindosh at least have explicable reasons being "madly in love" and "madly in love with mad science" respectively

Ashworth is motivated by love and loyalty to Delilah, Jindosh and the Duke want more money, but at least Jindosh wants to use it for something that's kind of useful.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Ashworth is motivated by love and loyalty to Delilah, Jindosh and the Duke want more money, but at least Jindosh wants to use it for something that's kind of useful.

I'm not sure I agree that "let's keep the poor away from our gold through filigreed violence" counts as useful, to be honest...

I do think the Duke's motivation is a little stunted, though. He's clearly obsessed with Delilah, to the point that he puts his already-almost-unrivalled wealth at her disposal, but I believe it's left unstated whether he's genuinely infatuated with her, or whether she used her spells to get inside his head. Ordinarily that would be fine, since it doesn't much matter either way in a mechanical sense, but I think it probably should have been clarified, since Delilah is definitely probably capable of coercing him through magic, and whether she does or not reflects significantly on her as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

WFGuy posted:

I'm not sure I agree that "let's keep the poor away from our gold through filigreed violence" counts as useful, to be honest...

I do think the Duke's motivation is a little stunted, though. He's clearly obsessed with Delilah, to the point that he puts his already-almost-unrivalled wealth at her disposal, but I believe it's left unstated whether he's genuinely infatuated with her, or whether she used her spells to get inside his head. Ordinarily that would be fine, since it doesn't much matter either way in a mechanical sense, but I think it probably should have been clarified, since Delilah is definitely probably capable of coercing him through magic, and whether she does or not reflects significantly on her as a character.

I can’t remember when we see it (probably a note or something in his mansion) but the duke does say something about how he met her when they were children and he fell for her then, because she was just as indifferent/cynical of common decency as he was, or something. Then obvs he doesn’t see her for a long time but then she starts talking to him from the void??? I’m pretty sure I didn’t make that up. But it does make his infatuation with her seem more legitimate and not just a spell.